Diana/Charles/Camilla's Relationships Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
Really? All these years after? I know I couldn't give two hoots.

The power is still very much there. Charles and Camilla's supporters don't want to see it. Diana will haunt Charles and Camilla for the rest of their lives. The comparisons will never end, the story of what happened will never be laid to rest, all parties will be blamed for decades and centuries to come. This will never go away. This horrible story will be the number one thing remembered about Charles.

una said:
Oh I think she is

She could hardly be called a legend, most 15-16 year olds have very little idea who she was, except that she was the mother of William and Harry. Most don't even know she was the ex wife of Prince Charles.
When asked about the prince's wife, they all say Camilla, some say 'my mum says she's not as pretty as his 1st wife'. In this day and age of extended families it is nothing to get too excited about.
When it all gets written about, after Charles is crowned King, Diana will only be seen as a very bitter ex wife, who tried to use the public in her efforts to discredit the husband who tried but, was unable to cope with a very disturbed woman.

Sure she wasn't:cool: Upon meeting Prince Charles for the first time she has been widely quoted as propositioning him on the premise of their great grandparents' indiscretions.

So I am to believe that Camilla deliberately forced her way through a crowd to meet Charles to ensnare him with images of Alice Keppell whizzing through her mind? I'd rather believe its actual love if its all the same - and it must be to have lasted so long with Camilla hardly being privelaged until this year.

Gee, that is the way I would greet the Prince of Wales for the first time--NOT

Really? From what I've seen of Camilla, she likes to make an impression in a subtle but charming way. Charles fell in love with her just as we Camilla fans have - but in a different way of course. I'll wager that every English Brigadier with a country estate and a couple of dawgs is thrilled to bits to have a true English country woman lined up to sit beside Charles.

Ahh..but sometimes the "subtle" and "charming" ways the are the best ones used to capture the biggest fish in the pond. ;) Catch more flies with honey.....

Camilla knew what she was doing from the get go..

tiaraprin said:
A woman who has spent her life living up to her great grandmother's infamous legacy and getting lucky by marrying the POW? Gee, that is something I want to emulate--NOT!!

You I presume would rather emulate Diana, who got lucky and married the Prince, only to drive him away with her constant overwhelming demands?

C'mon...Camilla knew EXACTLY what she was getting into once she agreed to rekindle their affair.. ;)

Ah, once she'd agreed to rekindle the affair - but not when it first began. They didnt meet once and immediately fall into each others arms - the love and the relationship grew over time.

The power is still very much there. Charles and Camilla's supporters don't want to see it. Diana will haunt Charles and Camilla for the rest of their lives.

Well somehow, I don't think they are that bothered. Charles has grieved for his ex-wife. She's dead and buried and he's got more important things to worry about than her ghost.

She could hardly be called a legend, most 15-16 year olds have very little idea who she was, except that she was the mother of William and Harry. Most don't even know she was the ex wife of Prince Charles.

Exactly Skydragon. My sister is 13 and doesn't have a clue who Diana was - she knows the name but not her past position. She knows who Camilla is because she's becoming more aware of the Monarchy and Government etc. But most young people don't care about the RF and thats a seperate problem that needs addressing and nothing to do with Diana.

BeatrixFan said:
So I am to believe that Camilla deliberately forced her way through a crowd to meet Charles to ensnare him with images of Alice Keppell whizzing through her mind? I'd rather believe its actual love if its all the same - and it must be to have lasted so long with Camilla hardly being privelaged until this year.

Really? From what I've seen of Camilla, she likes to make an impression in a subtle but charming way.

Gee, from the way I was raised by my mother, that would be blatantly unacceptable and immoral to greet a Prince that way. I don't even live in the Bible belt of the USA, and greeting a prince that way? It is highly suggestive and if an American woman greeted Charles like that, the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption.

tiaraprin said:
Diana had flaws just like everyone else. At least she tried to have an honest marriage before she sinned. .

Only in your opinion did she try to have an honest marriage.

How do you know that she didn't marry Charles to give her the freedom to bed as many men as possible, thinking that she would not be divorced, after all the royals wouldn't want the scandal!

Gee, from the way I was raised by my mother, that would be blatantly unacceptable and immoral to greet a Prince that way. I don't even live in the Bible belt of the USA, and greeting a prince that way? It is highly suggestive and if an American woman greeted Charles like that, the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption

Yes but don't take them out of context. This is a Royal and a well-heeled country woman meeting for the first time. She curtseyed and then spoke to him with a bit of personality. She didn't curtsey and agree with everything he said, simper and fret or try to impress him by being so obsequious it was a one way conversation. The Royals meet hundreds of starry eyed admirers - to meet one with a bit of pep must be a rare and pleasing thing - and thats what sparked his interest in Camilla - a personality which Diana didn't really have.

BeatrixFan said:
Yes but don't take them out of context. This is a Royal and a well-heeled country woman meeting for the first time. She curtseyed and then spoke to him with a bit of personality. She didn't curtsey and agree with everything he said, simper and fret or try to impress him by being so obsequious it was a one way conversation. The Royals meet hundreds of starry eyed admirers - to meet one with a bit of pep must be a rare and pleasing thing - and thats what sparked his interest in Camilla - a personality which Diana didn't really have.

And if an American said it, I still say the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption.

And if an American said it, I still say the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption

Well I think that would be more to do with the differences in the two countries. You are right though - for an American to say it, we'd see it as out of place. But for a British Lady from the Upper Crust to say it - it doesn't sting as much. Then again, an American didn't say it so why are we worrying?

Skydragon said:
Only in your opinion did she try to have an honest marriage.

How do you know that she didn't marry Charles to give her the freedom to bed as many men as possible, thinking that she would not be divorced, after all the royals wouldn't want the scandal!

There are many more royals who did much worse than Diana in the sleep around ideal. Princess Margaret and Prince Philip are just two examples. Gee, with the protection of being born a royal, they still got the protection of the Royal fold for their many, many indiscretions. It is ok for them but not for Diana. It is not ok for anybody.

tiaraprin said:
Gee, from the way I was raised by my mother, that would be blatantly unacceptable and immoral to greet a Prince that way. I don't even live in the Bible belt of the USA, and greeting a prince that way? It is highly suggestive and if an American woman greeted Charles like that, the Brits would be up in arms at the presumption.

What you are forgetting, was that Charles was among friends at a polo match. At that time, it was only upper class people that would have been there, people of a similar accepted class.
The British have a reputation for reserve but, from what I have heard and read, the Americans seem to get far more upset about sexual innuendo than we do.

BeatrixFan said:
Well I think that would be more to do with the differences in the two countries. You are right though - for an American to say it, we'd see it as out of place. But for a British Lady from the Upper Crust to say it - it doesn't sting as much. Then again, an American didn't say it so why are we worrying?

Because it shows the obvious disdain and prejudice against my country.

And Sam, with all due respect, the same could be said about your age group, you may have been very young in the 80's and early 90's to really understand and comprehend what was going on in the news regarding Diana and Charles.

I am not picking on you or making fun, but using your example of your sister's age of not really knowing who Diana is as she was rather young when Diana died.

Us old-timers who, :), to be 19 again...can remember first hand the stories and news reports of both of them being equally to blame.

I thought any sbuject of the royal family....well-heeled or not, is not supposed to initiate personal conversation with a royal.....goes against the rules of protocol.

No matter though..if he is happy so be it. He is not the prince in my country so I do not need to worry about him reigning here.

Because it shows the obvious disdain and prejudice against my country

Well thats the British for you. And we probably won't change! Don't worry about it that much - we don't like the French either.

BeatrixFan said:

Wow...you really hate Americans, don't you?

I did not realize you were the social amabassador for your country to decide protocol, class standards, etc.

I would think if someone such as the Lord Buckhurst, Lady Alexandra Spencer-Churchill, Earl of Mornington, Earl of Pembroke, Lady Eloise Anson, Lady Victoria Hervey, etc., were to post on here, these types of comments would be understandable as they were born into, and descend from the aristocractic classes, and have first-hand and very experienced knowledge... :)

tiaraprin said:
There are many more royals who did much worse than Diana in the sleep around ideal. Princess Margaret and Prince Philip are just two examples. Gee, with the protection of being born a royal, they still got the protection of the Royal fold for their many, many indiscretions. It is ok for them but not for Diana. It is not ok for anybody.

Neither of the people you mention were wife to the future King. Because of Diana's sleeping around, it has left the way clear for people to speculate as to who William and Harry's fathers were.

I'm certain that you would back a blood member of your family over everyone else, so what is wrong with that, I know I would.

Princess Margaret and Prince Philip have never co-written a book rubbishing their spouses family or spouse. They have real breeding and discretion.

Thanks...I hardly think you speak for 58 million people in hating Americans.

In fact, I see you as being rather bitter towards us... ;)

And Sam, with all due respect, the same could be said about your age group, you may have been very young in the 80's and early 90's to really understand and comprehend what was going on in the news regarding Diana and Charles.

Lady M - you're quite right. I've been through a hell of alot but I haven't seen everything I'd like to in life and the parts I missed I read up on - but reading from books isn't the same as actually being there. And I know you don't mean this and you haven't but I'm not your average 19 year old so people shouldn't judge based on age. You didnt and thankyou for it. I understand what you mean. My opinion on Diana is based on hindsight - I wasn't old enough to get entangled in the emotional frenzy that she created. And I think thats a good thing in many ways, because I can talk about her and be totally detatched from emotion.

I thought any sbuject of the royal family....well-heeled or not, is not supposed to initiate personal conversation with a royal.....goes against the rules of protocol

One rule for the rich and one for the poor. Thats how we've always worked and don't let anyone tell you it doesn't work like that today. There is a class system and it works as it did all those years ago.

No matter though..if he is happy so be it. He is not the prince in my country so I do not need to worry about him reigning here

If only more people thought like that!

Skydragon said:
I'm certain that you would back a blood member of your family over everyone else, so what is wrong with that, I know I would.

They have real breeding and discretion.

In America, you should know about what we say about assuming things. I have blood relatives who slept around on a spouse and did not support them one jot.

I truly do not believe Margaret and Philip have real breeding because sinning is sinning no matter what. I am no holy roller, but Margaret had to answer for it when she died as she was quite a religious woman (weird as that is) and so will Philip.

I don't support hypocracy.

Wow...you really hate Americans, don't you?

I do in all honesty but that isn't really relevant here and I don't speak for the other 58 million who live here. But the circles I move in all have a similar feeling. But there are those who adore you and I'm sure the same prejudices exist in America about the British.

I did not realize you were the social amabassador for your country to decide protocol, class standards, etc.

I'm not and don't put words into my mouth thankyou. I've been very civil towards you and I'd ask you to show the same courtesy. I can only offer my opinion and my experiences - you don't know who I am and you have no clue as to whether I'm a Prince or a Pauper. Don't just assume.

Lady Marmalade said:

I would think if someone such as the Lord Buckhurst, Lady Alexandra Spencer-Churchill, Earl of Mornington, Earl of Pembroke, Lady Eloise Anson, Lady Victoria Hervey, etc., were to post on here, these types of comments would be understandable as they were born into, and descend from the aristocractic classes, and have first-hand and very experienced knowledge... :)

Social class and protocol within the UK is something that is totally beyond most other countries grasp, not just America. As you say, you have to be born into it, to understand it.

I am not Sam. I respect your opinions. I just have never seen such blatant hatred towards my country on here. Shame, as I hope we have never done anything personally against you to make you hate us so much.

Ahh..but that is just your circle of friends. As you get older and expand your environment you will be able to see all sorts of different levels of ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.

I felt the world thought just like I did at 19....your mind tends to expand more as you get older.

I do not think you are a Prince or a Pauper. I certainly do not think you are a member of the aristocracy as well. I think you are an intelligent person who brings a unique perspective to the forums. :)

I am not Sam. I respect your opinions. I just have never seen such blatant hatred towards my country on here. Shame, as I hope we have never done anything personally against you to make you hate us so much.

Is it blatant hatred though? I don't think I've made vast sweeping bashing statements on the US. I was asked if I hated America and I said that yes - for what it appears to stand for and going on the stories we get here, yes I have a dislike of the American way of life.

Ahh..but that is just your circle of friends. As you get older and expand your environment you will be able to see all sorts of different levels of ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.

Hmm. Through my work I get to meet a fair few people from all ends of the social spectrum and although I don't meet every single person in 60 million, I can say I've measured the opinion from a slight cross section. And thats what I base my ideas on.

I felt the world thought just like I did at 19....your mind tends to expand more as you get older.

You're a smashing lass Lady M but thats verging into patronising so lets not go down that route!

I do not think you are a Prince or a Pauper. I certainly do not think you are a member of the aristocracy as well. I think you are an intelligent person who brings a unique perspective to the forums.

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't claim to be aristocracy. I meant that anyone on here could be a Duchess or a Prince - you just don't know.

tiaraprin said:
I truly do not believe Margaret and Philip have real breeding because sinning is sinning no matter what. I am no holy roller, but Margaret had to answer for it when she died as she was quite a religious woman (weird as that is) and so will Philip.

I don't support hypocracy.

Then why do you support a woman, who betrayed her husband many times. Who gave no thought to the partners and wives she put through hell by pursuing their men. Who caused her sons such humiliation by publishing a spite based book about their father, grandparents and other relations.

Margaret answered for nothing, she was ill, she had the best possible treatments and died in comfort with her family around her. Where is the punishment in that?

Sinning is merely a concept dreamt up by the church to control the masses.

Skydragon said:
Social class and protocol within the UK is something that is totally beyond most other countries grasp, not just America. As you say, you have to be born into it, to understand it.

The same works in the U.S. Don't assume to always understand our culture based on the constant attention we get in the news. ;)

It is not represent by Sex and the City, Friends, CSI, Law and Order, ER, Lost, Desperate Housewives etc....just examples of American shows shown around the world which may cloud the picture of who we are...

What blows many of your minds is how we can squabble and argue in our country so much it looks so divided...but in reality is showing what the virtues of democracy are truly about...

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Is it blatant hatred though? I don't think I've made vast sweeping bashing statements on the US. I was asked if I hated America and I said that yes - for what it appears to stand for and going on the stories we get here, yes I have a dislike of the American way of life.
And what you do not know is if all Americans agree with what you find repulsive. Perhaps if the opinion polls here in the USA were shown in Great Britain, you might find we are not what you believe. The press in any country is going to exploit things to their perspective. Speak to a true American about the things that bother you and get a straight answer from an American. Then you will have something to base things upon.

BeatrixFan said:

Hmm. Through my work I get to meet a fair few people from all ends of the social spectrum and although I don't meet every single person in 60 million, I can say I've measured the opinion from a slight cross section. And thats what I base my ideas on.

You're a smashing lass Lady M but thats verging into patronising so lets not go down that route!

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't claim to be aristocracy. I meant that anyone on here could be a Duchess or a Prince - you just don't know.

That's a shame, but I respect your beliefs. I would think that when you meet an American in your country on passing through you would not treat them with hatred.

Aww...you are a sweetheart, and I do mean that sincerely. I was not patronising you in anyway, just pointing out the obvious...love the smashing lass comment..so English.. ;)

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have one on here, to here their views on these matters? I am serious. It would be most enjoyable.

Last edited:
Lady Marmalade said:

Us old-timers who, :), to be 19 again...can remember first hand the stories and news reports of both of them being equally to blame.

You, from your date of birth would have been 6 when they married and 13 when they split, so most of what you remember was probably from your parents. Hardly an adult at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom