The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Neither Queen Victoria's letters or extensive diaries were destroyed, they've been published... She would write daily to her daughter Victoria and underline words for emphasis.
Queen Victoria's diaries were extensively edited by her daughter Princess Beatrice, and much was destroyed.

For real emphasis, the Queen would double and occasionally triple underline!

Old 11-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
Their betrayal of Diana and some people's 'so what-she had affairs too' attitude about it is what disturbs me. This is imo but I think Charles knows in his heart who betrayed who first.:/
None of us know that Diana did not betray Charles first, what we do know is that far from being the loving wife, Diana objected to Charles continuing with his commitments. She failed to understand that he couldn't just phone and cancel his arrangements because she didn't want to be on her own.
How would someone cope with the constant self harming that Diana admitted to? How would anyone have coped with a hysterical woman throwing herself and her unborn child down the stairs. You are left with wondering if she had aborted the child (William), was this for sympathy from Charles or the public?
Most men that I know would have been off, away from such a disturbed woman.
Charles probably feels sorry and guilty for being unable to cope with such a demanding person but, that's all, IMO

Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Administrator

It might be best to tone it down a bit.

Warren
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Thank you Warren. It very frustrating to read this particular thread with all the rumours that are stated as fact. There are just too many too list! As much as I adored Diana, she is in fact dead, and life has moved on. I too had wished that her papers were readily available..but lets face it..when you are 36 you think you have a couple of more years whereas Margaret knew that she time was short.

If you are pro Camilla/anti Diana or pro Diana/anti Camilla...you have already made up your mind and nothing is going to change it. Let's move on..the only people who truly knew what went on in this triangle are Charles/Camilla/Diana. Only God can judge them.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Correction to my last post

sorry..i meant that I wish Diana's papers were not readily available.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt there is anything new to learn about Diana's thoughts. She cooperated with many writers and journalists over the years and is practically an industry in the number of books written about her life. I think people are done with that.

It's time to let the Princess rest in peace. Life is for the living.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
It very frustrating to read this particular thread with all the rumours that are stated as fact.
Exactly the way most Charles and/or Camilla supporters feel.:)
Old 11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
sorry..i meant that I wish Diana's papers were not readily available.
So do I Zonk, but Diana made a conscious choice when she taped the interviews for Andrew Morton's book and did the Panorama interview.

Although I am sickened by all her associates that are selling books about her private life, I know exactly what their reasoning is. If she was willing to open the details of her private life to gain an advantageous position in an eventual separation and divorce, then they feel perfectly justified releasing her private details to satisfy their own agendas whether it is money, notoriety, or both.

Make no mistake, I find their actions abhorent and disgusting but that's also the reason I believe so strongly that it is never wise to release the intimate details about your personal problems to the general public. In doing so, Diana effectively lost control over how much of her life remained private.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Ysbel..I totally agree. I think there is a saying...once you let the genie out of the box..its hard to get her back in. And that totally applies in Diana's case. Its also frutrating for the so called "Diana experts" (i.e Paul Burrell, the faith healer, the lovers, etc) to talk about events they don't have intimate knowledge of. For example, Oliver Hoare...has he ever written a book? Yet, many claim to know every detail about his relationship with her. Either way, I think its shabby to write about someone who is dead and cant defend themselves. And I say this just not because of Diana but because of JFK, RFK, Marilyn Monroe, etc. Who continously sell 20, 30, 40 years after their deaths.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
Charles and Milla sowed their wild oats young. It does not make them better than Diana.

Anyone who thinks it will be left in the past is dreaming. This 'hexagon' as you prefer to call it will have books written about it long after we are gone. That's just the facts. If historians were more 'grown up' they wouldn't have written about Mary, Queen Of Scots affairs, Elizabeth I's and so on. It's human nature to hash over historical figures and their romantic messes. Diana is part of British history now. Get used to it folks.
Amen!! And nothing any of Charles and Camilla's supporters do can erase that fact.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

tiaraprin, where have you been? You've missed a lot. :)
Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Amen!! And nothing any of Charles and Camilla's supporters do can erase that fact.
It may be timely, before we get too carried away, to point out that Mary Queen of Scots, Mary I and Elizabeth were all Monarchs, whereas Diana was not. Some historical perspective is required.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
It seems that it is only the remaining Diana fans, that give her any thought. I don't sit here thinking about Diana every moment of my day. I, like very many people don't see Camilla and think Diana.
She was IMO a very flawed individual best consigned to the history books.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Exactly Skydragon. Although Diana may be the talk of the town now, she'll be recorded in the footnotes of history as an ex-wife of a future King whereas Charles and Camilla will be recorded as a King and Queen - and thats the measure of it.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Time will tell what Diana's place in history will be. Its too soon now.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Is it? I don't think it is at all. Diana is in a similar position Anne Boleyn. A dead ex-wife of a King. We remember Anne Boleyn, but she's hardly up there with the great British legends is she? When it comes to the list of monarchs, Diana won't even get a mention and nor will Camilla - Charles will be the one history will remember and thats how it should be.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
We remember Anne Boleyn, but she's hardly up there with the great British legends is she?
Oh I think she is- the great British legendary quadrangle of Henry VIII, Queen Katherine, Anne Boleyn and the Pope. People are still writing books about her.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Yes but people now don't scream in defence of Queen Katherine do they? Calling Anne Boleyn nasty names and putting Katherine's image on ceramics? They may have hailed her as a saint in her time, but the passion wears off and it will do with Charles, Camilla and Diana. And remember, Anne was a Queen - Diana wasn't. I think you get the gist of what I'm saying - People are already resigning her to the past - not everyone, but most people are. it's only the Biography Channel and Paul Burrell keeping her fresh in the media.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Although I am sickened by all her associates that are selling books about her private life, I know exactly what their reasoning is. If she was willing to open the details of her private life... then they feel perfectly justified releasing her private details to satisfy their own agendas.
But don't you think this would have happened anyway? Imagine if she had said nothing, and we were all surprised to hear John Major announcing the separation, then 3 years of no comment, then the divorce and her death. People would be speculating like mad, and the book writers would be writing their books anyway. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad they're writing their accounts of her- she's fascinating, and each different view of her from people who knew her as a child or adult adds to the interest. IMO she wouldn't mind all this coming out, she wasn't a private person, and may even have been pleased to know people were still paying her attention- that she was still "a star".
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It seems that it is only the remaining Diana fans, that give her any thought. I don't sit here thinking about Diana every moment of my day. I, like very many people don't see Camilla and think Diana.
She was IMO a very flawed individual best consigned to the history books.
And Camilla is not flawed?? The flaws are endless!

A woman who has spent her life living up to her great grandmother's infamous legacy and getting lucky by marrying the POW? Gee, that is something I want to emulate--NOT!!

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships