The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
And she had a way of freezing out staff she didn't want. I read somewhere that about 40 staff were laid off in the first years of the marriage
Thats very true. Brian Hoey says in his book, "At Home with the Queen" that her staff were always walking on eggshells. "One Day she'd kick her shoes off, jump up on the kitchen table and beg for all the latest gossip, four letters words and all. And then she'd ball you out for some imagined error and would become so regal and nasty it was impossible to like her". She often got the staff she didn't like into trouble by claiming they were having affairs with other staff members etc. People wanted to work for Charles because he was so generous but most refused a position with the Wales's because of Diana's temper.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel

Sorry I don't get it ...
If you're referring to the bit about being tried for treason, I think it's still the law in the UK that having sexual relations with a queen, wife of the heir to the throne, or monarch's eldest daughter is a treasonable offence. I'm not sure if the woman concerned would also be able to be prosecuted; I assume not in the case of rape, but I don't know about consensual sex.

This law goes back to the Middle Ages but has never been repealed as far as I know. Obviously it's intended to be a deterrent to ambitious men who see a more pleasant way of getting their son on the throne than the rather more dangerous route of starting an insurrection.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Did he get demoted before he published the book or after?
Demoted in 1991 and dropped by Di, redundant in 1993, book in 1994, after both Di and Ch had given their stories to the public.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
If you're referring to the bit about being tried for treason, I think it's still the law in the UK that having sexual relations with a queen, wife of the heir to the throne, or monarch's eldest daughter is a treasonable offence. I'm not sure if the woman concerned would also be able to be prosecuted; I assume not in the case of rape, but I don't know about consensual sex.

This law goes back to the Middle Ages but has never been repealed as far as I know. Obviously it's intended to be a deterrent to ambitious men who see a more pleasant way of getting their son on the throne than the rather more dangerous route of starting an insurrection.
Ah how lovely!

The major injust victim of this law was Francis Derham who had a relationship with Catherine Howard before she married Henry VIII. He was hanged, drawn, and quartered while Thomas Culpeper who had actually had an affair with her while she was married received the lesser punishment of being beheaded.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
As I read it, Di was jealous of anyone who came between her and her loved ones. She felt Ch didn't pay her enough attention, and the staff came between them. And she had a way of freezing out staff she didn't want. I read somewhere that about 40 staff were laid off in the first years of the marriage.
It was kind of hypocritical, considering her eagerness to be friends with the staff briefly before her marriage. They called it "Mrs. Wales' Big Freeze." As for Stephen Barry, she didn't feel he treated her deferentially enough. Not to mention she was rather jealous of his closeness to Charles and their history together. Plus when Charles was busy with work and Diana wanted to see him, Barry would block the door and prevent her from entering.

Quote:
If you're referring to the bit about being tried for treason, I think it's still the law in the UK that having sexual relations with a queen, wife of the heir to the throne,
I believe so too. It was/is seen as a way of destroying the royal line and replacing it with ones' own.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the woman concerned would also be able to be prosecuted;
They would. Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard were executed for adultry. Anne's were trumped up charges, but Katherine Howard's were genuine. It was considered treason to sleep around if on was a female consort.

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that his affair with Diana cost him his career.
Quite true and at one point it also nearly did. He was going to be sent to Iraq or Germany as part of a career advancement and Diana didn't want him to go. Needless to say he went and Diana dropped him. I always noticed that Diana didn't want anyone to put anything else before her.

Quote:
often got the staff she didn't like into trouble by claiming they were having affairs with other staff members etc.
One female staff member was dismissed on the unfounded charge that she was a lesbian. Another telling tidbit is that all her clothes had to be ironed to perfection and she would often go over the room, looking for the slightest imperfection. Furthermore her maids had to wash and replace her bedsheets daily since she usually slept with her makeup on, coverup foundation and more. I believe that Barbara Barnes, William's nanny, was somewhat forced to resign since she (Barbara) had recieved a little publicity while attending a birthday party for a celebrity.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu An
I believe that Barbara Barnes, William's nanny, was somewhat forced to resign since she (Barbara) had recieved a little publicity while attending a birthday party for a celebrity.
Barbara Barnes was sacked because William was getting unruly and it was felt that Barbara wasn't strict enough with him. Right before Sarah and Andrew's wedding, Diana took William to a function by herself and had to leave early because he became unmanageable.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Diana may have been high-maintenance but then so were some members of the royal family. Stephen Barry does mention that both Andrew and Anne had a tendancy to yell at their staff.

As an outsider, Diana probably would have been judged more harshly by the staff for her high-maintenance ways than a born member of the royal family which is I think hypocritical.

The upshot of all of this is that Charles and his staff (and the rest of the Royal Family for that matter) had settled into a routine which Diana either advertently or inadvertently upset. She couldn't win either way and then when the public Diana mania started the Royal Family probably thought they lost what little control they had over their existence.

I think this was the real reason behind Charles' dislike of Diana's public attention. On one hand its understandable that the media circus was unbearable; on the other hand, a man can't expect to marry a wife and have his life be the same way as it was before. Things were bound to change no matter who he married.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Princess Anne is apparantly like her mother and father. If a staff member does something wrong, they will shout at them, swear at them and generally make them feel bad. But then its forgotten and they don't sulk. Diana did sulk about things and it made it difficult to work for her apparantly.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Princess Anne is apparantly like her mother and father. If a staff member does something wrong, they will shout at them, swear at them and generally make them feel bad. But then its forgotten and they don't sulk. Diana did sulk about things and it made it difficult to work for her apparantly.
people who yell and fume and 'get it out of their system' are much easier to deal with than sulkers.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Oh Please.....none of them treated their staff with respect or grace, with the exception of HM. Don't just single out Diana on this one!!

How many have resigned on Charles over the years???
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Oh Please. The Diana Trio indeed. Can we leave the adoration and jingoism out of this? It turns the stomach.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

Now now......we can have a spirited and lively debate as I believe there are equal number of supporters on all ends posting on here... :)

It keeps one humbled and grounded to remember none of them were angels and saints in the behavior over the years..
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen we will we soon be departing for 'Old Ground' so please fasten your seat belts. There are no emergency exits, however, if you look in the overhead lockers you will find a gun and rope which you may use as appropriate. Please note that in case of turbulence, we recommend a quote from a Paul Burrell book or alternatively, you could make a small cardboard sign which reads, 'Diana - Light of the World' or 'Charles and Camilla - We love you' as you see fit. Thankyou for travelling with The Royal Forums - we wish you a safe and endless journey.

I think the gun and the rope wouldn't be necessary though!... :)
Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It keeps one humbled and grounded to remember none of them were angels and saints in the behavior over the years...
Agreed. Do we need a 'Diana Trio' working in league? What are you guys like anyway? The New Seekers?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Oh Please. The Diana Trio indeed. Can we leave the adoration and jingoism out of this? It turns the stomach.
Well, I don't write my messages based on your stomach, BeatrixFan. So if you feel bad, please don't read them.

Lady Marmelade, you are correct. None of them were angels or devils. I don't recall anyone, even after her death, calling saint to Diana. I don't put her on a pedestral, but sure she was a person with a lot of value and who suffered from many injustices. This way, I'm glad to read the posts of her supporters.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Agreed. Do we need a 'Diana Trio' working in league? What are you guys like anyway? The New Seekers?
"Dianatrio" was an expression used by princejohnny, and I think it's a funny expression. It's good to have some humor sometimes.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you Tzu An and everyone who explained about treason.

You are right, even in this day and age both Diana and any of her lovers could have been tried for treason.:)
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You are right, even in this day and age both Diana and any of her lovers could have been tried for treason
Yes but would they have been hung, drawn and quartered? One would hope so.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Barbara Barnes was sacked because William was getting unruly and it was felt that Barbara wasn't strict enough with him. Right before Sarah and Andrew's wedding, Diana took William to a function by herself and had to leave early because he became unmanageable.
I think it more likely that William played his mother up because he knew his nanny better and that would have been why she was dismissed.
Didn't Diana have a fit when Charles arranged for Tiggy to spend time with the boys and she found out they had confided things to her?
Diana at one point approaching Tiggy at a party to intone: "So sorry to hear about the baby". A flurry of legal threats followed the erroneous claim that Tiggy had had a child aborted.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes but would they have been hung, drawn and quartered? One would hope so.
One has got to be kidding.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships