The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't believe he brought Camilla as a lover into the marriage but I wish he would have stood up to his parents and said no. However, given the fact that his mother was still obeying his grandmother when she was middle aged and had grown children, he didn't have good role models for standing up to unrealistic demands.
Many reasons for Camilla and Charles did not get married at the first place. Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten certainly would resist this idea because of Camilla's colourful past. Camilla probably did not want to lose her freedom in marrying Charles and still wanted to marry Andrew PB. Charles also had his idea about marrying a woman to be his ideal wife and ideal future Queen. Their love was not strong to marry at 1973 but their love did not die after Camilla's marriage either. Camilla is ready for marriage and she cannot wait for Charles to risk the best time to get married. Life is not perfect.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

There is no guarantee that a marriage between C & C when they were young would have been a happy or a lasting union. So to wish for them to have married each other instead of marrying their original spouses makes no sense. The tragedy is that they did not honor their individual marriage vows. If they realized their original marriages were mistakes they could not live with, they should have taken the only honorable way out, namely to admit the mistake and get a divorce before getting involved with each other again.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMary
Diana did cheat as well that is true. The entire marriage was a disaster. Charles never really loved Diana and Diana couldn't live with that. She learned very quickly that her idea of what would happen was completely off. Many people are to blame for various reasons, I am not vindicating Diana but she and her sons took most of the emotional toll of what happened.
Most of the emotional toll on William and Harry, was brought about by Diana co-writing the Morton book, The emotional toll on Diana must have been hard, trying to keep the public from finding out she had been unfaithful. We don't know that Charles didn't love Diana, perhaps it was more that he couldn't cope with all her emotional problems.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I have no doubt Princes William and Harry are extremely fond of Camilla and have grown to accept her as an important part of their father's life. To lose a parent at such a young age, with the constant public obsession with her life, is not easy for any child, never mind two young men who are so close to the British throne.
Of the many things Harry said on his birthday interview, one was that Camilla is wonderful. He could have found 100's of different ways to answer the question or indeed have refused to allow the question in the first place.

Not all step-children hate the new parent, some are mature and loving enough to accept that they cannot decide who their parents love. I think Camilla and the boys get on really well and have for years. It is only the media and Diana fans that say it is all an act. The media for the chance to fill a gap and the Diana fan's because they can't accept that Camilla is the much loved wife of Prince Charles and a wonderful friend and step-mother to his children.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
There is no guarantee that a marriage between C & C when they were young would have been a happy or a lasting union.
You're right grevinnan. But at least Charles could have said no to the union with Diana. And so could have Diana.

And yes, they should have not waited 14 years to get a divorce. I don't know what happened there unless it was pressure from the Royal Family to stick together. If so, that was wrong.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Diana paid with her life. She paid too much, Charles and Camilla much too little.
Diana died in a car crash - it wasn't as a result of her divorce, her affairs or anything else. It was an accident. Are you saying that you wanted Charles and Camilla to be in that car instead of Diana? Warren put it perfectly. Charles and Camilla can never be happy because they are alive and Diana isn't? They should take to the black and remain depressed and lonely till the end of their days because his ex-wife died?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Diana died in a car crash - it wasn't as a result of her divorce, her affairs or anything else. It was an accident. Are you saying that you wanted Charles and Camilla to be in that car instead of Diana? Warren put it perfectly. Charles and Camilla can never be happy because they are alive and Diana isn't? They should take to the black and remain depressed and lonely till the end of their days because his ex-wife died?
How true BeatrixFan! Though I liked the was that Ozzy Osbourne said it best:

Quote:
"It's his business you know. His first wife got killed so what's he expected to do, be single for the rest of his life?
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...rriage%20plans
Old 11-25-2005, 09:35 AM

LOL - I never thought Ozzy Osbourne could be quoted when discussing Royalty but today, I've been proved wrong.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakodas
Mayhap you were a tad more streetwise than those of us who attended Swiss finishing schools.
Most of the girls I know who attended finishing school, are very down to earth and 'aware', so much so, they could make a rugby player blush!:) .
Old 11-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Diana paid with her life for any sins she may have committed. Charles and Camilla got off scot free for theirs. That is not fair in the scheme of life. While I know life is not fair, this one instance makes my blood boil.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Most of the girls I know who attended finishing school, are very down to earth and 'aware', so much so, they could make a rugby player blush!:) .
Gee, that is real advertisement for finishing schools. It is one thing to be aware, quite another to make a rugby player blush. There has to be some finesse not utter declasse rubbish.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Diana paid with her life for any sins she may have committed. Charles and Camilla got off scot free for theirs. That is not fair in the scheme of life. While I know life is not fair, this one instance makes my blood boil.
You're so melodramatic, tiaraprin. Diana died because her car hit a tunnel post at over 100 mph and she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. It was not some divine retribution for her sins or Charles would have been killed somehow too as you so eloquently pointed out.

Somehow, I think Charles being left with two teenage boys in shock and grieving for their mother while the rest of the world went mad was not exactly getting off scot-free.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Diana paid with her life for any sins she may have committed. Charles and Camilla got off scot free for theirs
Tiaraprin. {personal remark removed - Elspeth} You have just made the most disgusting statement I have ever heard on a Royal Forum. You are saying that that Diana died in a car crash and that was a result of her sins. It was an accident. It could have been anyone. From your statement, you seem to feel that you want Charles and Camilla to be killed in a similar way and as long as they are alive, they can't be forgiven. Sickening. Absolutely sickening. I didn't like Diana at all but I wouldn't wish the woman dead.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Gee, that is real advertisement for finishing schools. It is one thing to be aware, quite another to make a rugby player blush. There has to be some finesse not utter declasse rubbish.
Most of the rugby players I know are fine upstanding young men, with a sense of humour!:)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
...they should have not waited 14 years to get a divorce. I don't know what happened there unless it was pressure from the Royal Family to stick together. If so, that was wrong.
According to Hewitt, Diana craved freedom from her loveless marriage throughout their time together. She felt the Queen was the only person who could help her, but the Queen, although sympathetic, had a duty to ensure the smooth succession of the crown, and refused to intervene.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:38 PM

It's all down to being sensible. They could have followed a Duke and Duchess of Kent example or a Princess Anne and Tim Laurence set-up. But she wouldn't keep her mouth shut and she was cut loose. She was to blame for that - nobody else.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
According to Hewitt, Diana craved freedom from her loveless marriage throughout their time together. She felt the Queen was the only person who could help her, but the Queen, although sympathetic, had a duty to ensure the smooth succession of the crown, and refused to intervene.
It seemed to me, that Diana could have pushed to get a divorce but, she wanted to keep all the trappings and neither the Queen or government could agree to that.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Although, I don't necessarily believe Hewitt, that sounds about right. I think it took Princess Anne who definitely wasn't going to let royal protocol keep her in an unhappy marriage to get a divorce before the royals realized they could survive a divorce.

But Princess Anne had several advantages over Diana - she was a born princess and she wasn't the heir to the throne.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It seemed to me, that Diana could have pushed to get a divorce but, she wanted to keep all the trappings and neither the Queen or government could agree to that.
Diana already had it both ways after the separation by remaining in public life and retaining all of her rights and privileges as Princess of Wales and a Royal Highness. She blew it with Panorama and forgot her duty one last time. By doing so, she forced the Queen to assert herself to end the marriage for good.

Had she lived, Diana might have become a supportive force for the monarchy, instead of tearing it down at every turn.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Tiaraprin. {personal remark removed - Elspeth} You have just made the most disgusting statement I have ever heard on a Royal Forum. You are saying that that Diana died in a car crash and that was a result of her sins. It was an accident. It could have been anyone. From your statement, you seem to feel that you want Charles and Camilla to be killed in a similar way and as long as they are alive, they can't be forgiven. Sickening. Absolutely sickening. I didn't like Diana at all but I wouldn't wish the woman dead.
I have been entirely misunderstood. Everyone has been talking about who sinned and how much they sinned. I simply stated the price Diana paid for who she was and what she did was that her life was tragically taken away. Charles and Camilla, although I loathe them to no end, I do not wish them dead. I am simply stating they got their cake and are eating it without any form of penitence whatsoever. That is what makes me mad. They got away with all they did and Diana is not here anymore. It isn't fair that she is gone and the people who caused her so much misery are so happy. Diana deserved a long, happy life and didn't get it.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships