The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Commoner

Diana/Charles/Camilla's Relationships Part 1

We all know the story of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about this subject. Diana did love Charles but Charles had his love stored for someone other than Diana. I have always wondered what do you think what would happened if Charles hadn't rekindled his relashionship with Camilla with his marriage with Diana? They both loved each other in the beginning but that did not last very long. I have always wondered this also why did Charles marry Diana if he really loved Camilla all a long? He hurt Diana so by having love else where.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Gentry

At the time the Prince of Wales could ONLY marry a virgin. And Camilla wasn't. And by many accounts, Charles told Diana that his father told him that if the marriage wasn't working out after 5 years, to have an affair. It has also been said that Charles told Diana that he did not want to be the only Prince of Wales in history to have never had a mistress.

Did Diana love Charles, my personal opinion is that she did 'til the day she died. As for Charles, I think he loved Diana, as long as she was adoring and coddling him. Once she saw him as a real person, and treated him that way, it was over. But, this is my opinion. It must be stated that we will NEVER truly know what went on their marriage. It is all speculation on our parts.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

i don't think charles ever really diana in a way that man should love a woman to marry her. i do think diana love him though. i believe charles married diana out of a sense of duty....she came from the right circle so she was marriage material.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was in love with the fact that she could be married. I don't believe that she loved Charles. Charles knew that his fate was his demise as far as he and Camilla go. He just wanted to please people. He never loved her.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
At the time the Prince of Wales could ONLY marry a virgin. And Camilla wasn't. And by many accounts, Charles told Diana that his father told him that if the marriage wasn't working out after 5 years, to have an affair. It has also been said that Charles told Diana that he did not want to be the only Prince of Wales in history to have never had a mistress.

Did Diana love Charles, my personal opinion is that she did 'til the day she died. As for Charles, I think he loved Diana, as long as she was adoring and coddling him. Once she saw him as a real person, and treated him that way, it was over. But, this is my opinion. It must be stated that we will NEVER truly know what went on their marriage. It is all speculation on our parts.
Was it true that he could ONLY marry a virgin? Or was that just something Charles and Lord Mountbatten wanted?

Diana was very much in love with Charles. It's very evident on her face in the very early photos. Being a princess and future queen was just icing on the cake.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Majesty

I think Diana was in love with the idea of being a princess. She was in love with the Prince of Wales but not the man who held the title.

She came from an unhappy childhood and believed in happy ever after from the Barbara Cartland (her step maternal grandmother) and Mills and Boon stories - just like a lot of other 19 year old girls.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that if Diana and Charles had been happier with each other, he might not have rekindled his relationship with Camilla. It seems that Diana wasn't mature enough at her age and level of experience to handle his ambivalence about his marriage. Very sad situation all round.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I have agree with posts!

Princess Diana comes from unhappy childhood because her parents got divorces when she was little girls and her dad had custody of children includes Diana when she was little girls when her mum away and they had affair with wallpaper man they Diana dont like her new step-mother Raine when her dad got married but Diana recalled her step-mother all the times.

i watch biography tv that Princess Diana really loves with Prince of Wales when she met him at Althorp she was 16! and the authors or friends told biography about Diana fell in love with Prince of Wales and she collectors of Prince of Wales includes posters,pictures about him! they later her 2 sister been dating with Prince of Wales before Diana.

i would agree with your posts that Prince Charles dont love with Diana very much for more reason! because Charles go back with her longtime lover Camilla since 1970's when Charles met Camilla at party. When Prince Charles DID love with Diana since 1981-1984 im not sure about that since Prince Harry's birth but Diana dont like seem Charles see Camilla back!

when Prince Charles got married to Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 both become Prince and Princess of Wales they later got split in 1992 for 4 years Prince Charles and Princess Diana had each interview Prince Charles had interview in 1994 about Camilla and lots of more after Charles. They Diana's interview she DID had affiars with James Hewitt since 1986-1990 and she had bulimia when she married with Prince Charles, lots of more! but HM Queen order Prince Charles and Princess Diana for divorces getting ENOUGH in the taboilds everyday! HM says she totally sick to heard in the taboilds! the Prince & Princess of Wales finalized divorces in 1996.Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales or Princess of Wales nobody takes her titles!

Sara Boyce
Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

With what has been said about divorces, children of divorced parents are more likely to get divorced themselves.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

Charles was a wimp for not standing up to his parents and marrying Camilla when they were kids.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Commoner

Ya I know what you mean!. They have grown up around a man who has hurt their mother and abused the laws of love and marriage and has been distant from them all their lives. People grow up to be like their parents it really is true! Like father like son. Now I am not saying they can't be different from their father I am just saying that because of their father they have a tendency to lean on his actions of his life.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Aristocracy

I think Charles and Diana were deeply in love when they were married.
But the age difference at 13 years and the fact that they were so different wasnt very good for the realitionship. Diana was only 19 years old, and very naiv (as she said herself), but maybe Charles did not really understand how insecure she was.
I believe he was very proud of her and happy that she was so popular in the beginning, but as their realitionship grew colder he bacame jealous as the only one the press was interested in, was her.
But as many others has stated, we will never know the truth about what really happened, so this is just my wiew on the case. =)
Old 04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Charles himself never said he was in love with Diana--remember the interview, when asked if he was in love, he said "whatever love is?" He was always in love with Camilla, never with Diana.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Nobility

I think that in some point, Diana loved Charles.....I think that Charles felt attracted to her..and, he couldn´t marry Camilla, so he chose a very beautiful and carismatic bride...but, Diana was too fragil and Charles too tought.....to, the marriage went away....that´s my opinion..Plus, Charles aways loved Camilla and Diana, surely knew that he loved Camilla when he married her...
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

But by that tiem is was too late-the tea towels story
Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

She wasn't charismatic when they met--remember how shy she was?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
Diana was in love with the fact that she could be married. I don't believe that she loved Charles. Charles knew that his fate was his demise as far as he and Camilla go. He just wanted to please people. He never loved her.
I think that Charles did truly love Diana in the beginning. It may not have been a grand passionate love, but I think that he actually did love her and was committed to making the marriage work in the beginning if only for the sake of public appearances.

But Diana was a very young, not too worldly or mature young girl, she was insecure and I think she because rather too demanding for Charles who had been independent and a bachelor for so long that he probably thought her insecurities were rather annoying and a bit nagging.

Then of course she grew into herself after having her sons. She took a greater interest in the clothes she wore, gained great popularity and began to surpass Charles in public interest - and that probably didn't sit too well with Charles, and thus the tears in an already weak marriage began to fall apart.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Gentry

Charles was too "old" for Diana

Charles waited too late to get married, women his age had baggage unbecomming to his "stage in life". He had already been around the block and back when he married a shy little young Diana who could barely lift her head when talking to people. Charles should have married when he was younger, to someone closer in age...What was he waiting for? (said in jest)

Truly sad how things worked out. In a way he had no other choice than to marry Diana, she was probably the best of the willing that could be found for him.

May her sweet, sweet soul rest in peace. And to the newlyweds, Good Luck and Best Wishes.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:17 AM
Gentry

Actually more than the charisma factor I think it was the age difference that really made them grow apart. Love in a marriage is not always about passion. It can be in the form of understanding and respect, and love for children. For Charles, getting married to Diana was a compromise and the fact that they got swamped with royal duties and children so early before really getting to know each other and solidifying what they had, just made them apart.

And as much Diana is considered the innocent and naive party, I believe that her tendency to romantacize the whole scenario was that landed her in this mess. She settled too early, I don't whether it was the parents-situation or the whole Prince-situation, but she was too young and immature at first to deal with the realities of married life.

And later, they really went for divergent paths.

But atleast I am happy that Charles took the step of marrying Camilla. People go on and on about the way he gave Diana a raw deal, We will never know maybe he did, but atleast he had the decency to give the proper respect to Camilla who has stood by him all these years.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorninin
People go on and on about the way he gave Diana a raw deal, We will never know maybe he did, but atleast he had the decency to give the proper respect to Camilla who has stood by him all these years.

He did give Diana a raw deal. She didn't even stand a snowball's chance in hell having Charles love her. Come on, his mistress was in the church when they got married! Then he was wearing cufflinks Camilla gave him on his honeymoon with no deferrence for his new wife.

I don't care what anyone says, you don't (re)start a relationship without ending the one you're in. And by ending a marriage, I mean divorce or death. If Charles wasn't as spineless as he was, the I wouldn't have had an issue about him marrying Camilla back in the late '70s and Diana might have had a happier marriage.

And another thing I've been saying for a long time now. Just because Charles "loved" Camilla, doesn't give him the right to hurt and disrespect his wife, Diana, to humiliate his sons, and to outright flaunt his escapades to Andrew Parker-Bowles. Love doesn't justify hurtful actions. No one has the right to cause other people such anguish on account of falling in-love. He made his bed, he should have laid on it!

As for Camilla, she made the decision to give Charles up when she married Andrew Parker-Bowles, who was Charles' friend, by the way. When she saw Charles get married, she should have closed that chapter and kept it closed. Charles and Diana's marriage becoming "irretrievably broken down" is no justifiable reason for her to resume her affair with Charles. "Broken down" is not the same as divorced. He was not free to pursue a relationship with her, and then again, neither was she! I don't think she thought about her children or Charles' children. Can you imagine being a child and being humiliated in front of the press because of your parents' indiscretions? That your mother was cheating on your father with your god-father?

To me, their marriage seems like a reward for their indiscretions for the past 30 years, for hurting so many people. They made their vows to love, honor, and cherish, and to remain faithful to each other? How long with that one last? Didn't they make that promise before and broke it? Maybe we should all reward adulterers in the future, worked for Charles and Camilla. Heck, maybe people need to have an affair if they're not happy with their spouses and their family lives! After all, Camilla got to become princess and would be a queen and Charles would still be "Defender of the Faith". Faith?! Ha! The hypocracy! Nothing's sacred anymore...

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships