The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Respect???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Isn't that rather a moot point? That someone had an affair after the other person in the marriage had already commenced an affair means that the person's affair is not as bad as the first person's affair? Another relationship while you are married is an affair, period. It's irrelevant who broke the marital vows first, or how long respective affairs lasted, whether it was a one-night stand or an affair that lasted several years. In the eyes of God, an affair is an affair is an affair no matter how else you clean it up. If Diana really respected her marriage to Charles she wouldn't have had any affairs.
Then Alexandria, what is good for the goose is good for the gander here. Charles didn't have much respect for his marriage either, did he??? No matter how much all of you Charles' supporters try to clean him up, he has mud on his face that will never be wiped clean. Camilla wears that mud too.
__________________

  #162  
Old 07-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMary
So it wouldn't make you sad if you realized your husband was cheating on you? I am not saying Diana was a saint but I am saying that Camilla has A LOT of public relations work to do and telling her side of the story in some form would certainly do lots of good.
It wouldn't. It really wouldn't. The Diana partisans won't be convinced by anything she says, and it would just be another excuse for a feeding frenzy by the press while they pick over the bones of the whole sorry mess yet again.
__________________

  #163  
Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
No matter how much all of you Charles' supporters try to clean him up, he has mud on his face that will never be wiped clean. Camilla wears that mud too.
As does Diana. There were no innocent victims inside this triangle; the only innocent victims are the children.
  #164  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Then Alexandria, what is good for the goose is good for the gander here. Charles didn't have much respect for his marriage either, did he??? No matter how much all of you Charles' supporters try to clean him up, he has mud on his face that will never be wiped clean. Camilla wears that mud too.
tiaraprin, I never said that Charles and Camilla were innocent in all this or absolved of any responsibility or not at fault. I am not trying to clean him or Camilla up. I have no personal reason to as I liked Diana but I also like Camilla -- yes it is possible to like both women.

I simply pointed out that I think an affair is an affair is an affair and that no matter how you slice it or try to clean it up, there are no excuses for Diana's affairs. That she had them after Charles took up with Camilla again does not make her affair excusable or okay. She cheated during her marriage to Charles, period. She's as guilty as him of adultery and there are no explanations or reasons that justify her affair over his affair.
  #165  
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: glasgow, United Kingdom
Posts: 363
Hang on! Why are we merley discussing Camilla, Charles & Diana? Camilla was also cheating on her own husband. The father of her two children. Even if Charles had remained single he was still doing wrong in sleeping with another man's wife. Camilla also seemed to think nothing about having sex with Charles under these circimstances.

I can't help but shake my head at all this. Why didn't he and Camilla go off to live the simple life in the country? Her being called "Highness" and pulled along in carraiges is totally absurd. How on Earth can any of us respect this pair? Most people in the same situation would be ashamed but there seems to be no shaming them at all.
  #166  
Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,044
OH, I don't know if it was cheating; I think she and TPB had an open relationship.
  #167  
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,529
of course they are a bit ashamed for what happened in the past but I do not know on which rarerified planet some of the members of this website live on, they sound either very young or extremely lucky so far and quite judgemental.
I know that there are people on this world who are not only unfaithfull with people that they do not really love but they do not really love the person they are married to either.

As far as I know we all have something which we could have done better and if you can not respect someone with faults, like charles and camilla, you can not respect anyone, including yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Hang on! Why are we merley discussing Camilla, Charles & Diana? Camilla was also cheating on her own husband. The father of her two children. Even if Charles had remained single he was still doing wrong in sleeping with another man's wife. Camilla also seemed to think nothing about having sex with Charles under these circimstances.

I can't help but shake my head at all this. Why didn't he and Camilla go off to live the simple life in the country? Her being called "Highness" and pulled along in carraiges is totally absurd. How on Earth can any of us respect this pair? Most people in the same situation would be ashamed but there seems to be no shaming them at all.
  #168  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,082
An of course didn't Camilla's husband cheat on her?
What is this world coming to?
  #169  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Hang on! Why are we merley discussing Camilla, Charles & Diana? Camilla was also cheating on her own husband. The father of her two children. Even if Charles had remained single he was still doing wrong in sleeping with another man's wife. Camilla also seemed to think nothing about having sex with Charles under these circimstances.

I can't help but shake my head at all this. Why didn't he and Camilla go off to live the simple life in the country? Her being called "Highness" and pulled along in carraiges is totally absurd. How on Earth can any of us respect this pair? Most people in the same situation would be ashamed but there seems to be no shaming them at all.
AMEN TO THAT!!!! While Diana did commit adultery, she was not going to be Queen of England even before her tragic demise. Charles will be King if it the unfortunate happens and Her Majesty does not outlive him. Camilla, at the very least, will be Princess Consort, or if Charles gets his way, Queen. It is all too disturbing.

Camilla and her husband did have an "open marriage". He even attended the blessing of Charles' and Camilla's civil union with his new wife. The aristocracy sure has some strange values!
  #170  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Morality

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
of course they are a bit ashamed for what happened in the past but I do not know on which rarerified planet some of the members of this website live on, they sound either very young or extremely lucky so far and quite judgemental.
I know that there are people on this world who are not only unfaithfull with people that they do not really love but they do not really love the person they are married to either.

As far as I know we all have something which we could have done better and if you can not respect someone with faults, like charles and camilla, you can not respect anyone, including yourself.
Uh Susan, I was taught the basic rules of MORALITY. While I am certainly not overtly religious or pious, I was taught by my parents what was right and wrong. I would not settle for a sham of a marriage and Diana was right to put her foot down!! I have not married someone to only commit adultery when things have gone bad. I have more of a sense of right and wrong than that. If things went bad, there would be a divorce if the marriage was not able to be saved. Just some basic common sense.

It is true they were all wrong in an impossible position, but they let themselves be dragged into it--even poor Diana. I wished she had listened to her instincts instead of the the aristocratic value of marrying up. She would have had a much better chance at happiness. AND if Charles had had a backbone, he wouldn't have wilted and married just because Daddy said so.
  #171  
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 55
I thought if the affair of Charles & Camilla when Diana was in the mid of 30 of ages, I thought Diana would excuse it, since Diana would be mature enough, no justify her affair over his affair (as Alexandria said). But the adultery was shadowing almost entire Charles & Diana marriage, what would we expect from 20 y old lady. Since indeed Charles tend to do it.
  #172  
Old 07-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Uh Susan, I was taught the basic rules of MORALITY. While I am certainly not overtly religious or pious, I was taught by my parents what was right and wrong. I would not settle for a sham of a marriage and Diana was right to put her foot down!!
You may not settle for a sham of a marriage, but it's the way things were done in the British upper classes for a very long time. It was recognised that marriages took place for reasons other than the feelings of the two people involved, so if either or both of them wanted to indulge their feelings after having done their duty and married and produced heirs, a blind eye was turned as long as they were discreet.

Unfortunately for Charles and Diana, they were living at a time when things were changing: nowadays the heir to the throne isn't constrained like Charles was into marrying someone considered "suitable." Even though his marriage wasn't an arranged marriage in the traditional sense, he wasn't going to be allowed to marry just anyone he took a fancy to. If Prince William were doing his courting back then, I don't think Kate Middleton would be a likely prospect, not being the daughter of some duke or earl or whatever. Charles was mindful that he had to marry someone suitable, and Diana was much more free to dream of a love match. It really was a most hideous misunderstanding from the very start.


Quote:
It is true they were all wrong in an impossible position, but they let themselves be dragged into it--even poor Diana. I wished she had listened to her instincts instead of the the aristocratic value of marrying up. She would have had a much better chance at happiness. AND if Charles had had a backbone, he wouldn't have wilted and married just because Daddy said so.
Who knows what her instincts were? She was probably too young to know her mind clearly; the tragedy is that her family weren't there for her when she needed them, they seemed too keen to push her at the royal family (even though her grandmother claimed years later that she'd warned Diana against marrying Charles).
  #173  
Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
You may not settle for a sham of a marriage, but it's the way things were done in the British upper classes for a very long time. It was recognised that marriages took place for reasons other than the feelings of the two people involved, so if either or both of them wanted to indulge their feelings after having done their duty and married and produced heirs, a blind eye was turned as long as they were discreet.

Unfortunately for Charles and Diana, they were living at a time when things were changing: nowadays the heir to the throne isn't constrained like Charles was into marrying someone considered "suitable." Even though his marriage wasn't an arranged marriage in the traditional sense, he wasn't going to be allowed to marry just anyone he took a fancy to. If Prince William were doing his courting back then, I don't think Kate Middleton would be a likely prospect, not being the daughter of some duke or earl or whatever. Charles was mindful that he had to marry someone suitable, and Diana was much more free to dream of a love match. It really was a most hideous misunderstanding from the very start.




Who knows what her instincts were? She was probably too young to know her mind clearly; the tragedy is that her family weren't there for her when she needed them, they seemed too keen to push her at the royal family (even though her grandmother claimed years later that she'd warned Diana against marrying Charles).

I am quite aware of this Elspeth through my extensive reading and researching of the British Royals. However, when Charles and Diana married in 1981, we were at the end of the 20th Century and a millenium and one would think this type of carrying on would have greatly diminished.

Only being an "American Commoner", different values are taught here--not that all heed them. I heed them.

Yes, Diana was too young to know her mind and her family was not there for her. I truly believe she was a sacrificial lamb. By the time she realized what she had done, it was too late and she didn't have the strength to fight a moral value and a centuries old institution immediately. She did find the courage though and showed the world that this type of behavior should not be condoned by any spouse female or male for that matter. Yes, Diana "dirties" her reputation with other men and I wish she hadn't, but dealing with what she had on her plate, God only knows what anyone would do. She should not be condemned then by this "moral value" of finding comfort elsewhere if one is not going to condemn Charles. Diana tried to fight for right. Charles surely didn't, he just wanted his way.
  #174  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:22 AM
dianafan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mol, Belgium
Posts: 127
As Prince Charles could go strangely during its marriage with Princess Diana why princess Diana could not strangely go? She got of him no love then is that nevertheless normal that she will fiend it somewhere else or can Charles everything and Diana nothing, simply because he ever king would become!
__________________
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]Diana queen of our hearts forever!
  #175  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
I am quite aware of this Elspeth through my extensive reading and researching of the British Royals. However, when Charles and Diana married in 1981, we were at the end of the 20th Century and a millenium and one would think this type of carrying on would have greatly diminished.
I think it finally has, but Charles was caught on the dying edge of it, and hence at least some of the problems.

It remains to be seen how royalty will develop as the senior royals in the various monarchies choose spouses from the ranks of the rest of us. There ought to be a lot less excuse for unhappy marriages, though.
  #176  
Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think it finally has, but Charles was caught on the dying edge of it, and hence at least some of the problems.

It remains to be seen how royalty will develop as the senior royals in the various monarchies choose spouses from the ranks of the rest of us. There ought to be a lot less excuse for unhappy marriages, though.
Wouldn't it be great Elspeth?? I know there will always be problems, but hopefully there will be more loving, happy marriages.
  #177  
Old 07-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Uh Susan, I was taught the basic rules of MORALITY. While I am certainly not overtly religious or pious, I was taught by my parents what was right and wrong. I would not settle for a sham of a marriage and Diana was right to put her foot down!! I have not married someone to only commit adultery when things have gone bad. I have more of a sense of right and wrong than that. If things went bad, there would be a divorce if the marriage was not able to be saved. Just some basic common sense.

It is true they were all wrong in an impossible position, but they let themselves be dragged into it--even poor Diana. I wished she had listened to her instincts instead of the the aristocratic value of marrying up. She would have had a much better chance at happiness. AND if Charles had had a backbone, he wouldn't have wilted and married just because Daddy said so.
Right! And in Diana's childhood home didn't her father put his foot down eventually to his and his wife's sham of a marraige???
In my opinion Diana was only doing what she had be taught from home!!!
  #178  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
una una is offline
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
BUT the majority of the evidence shows Diana did not start her affair with James Hewitt UNTIL Charles went back to Camilla. At least she wasn't the first adulterous one.
Aren't you forgetting Barry Mannakee, who pre-dated James Hewitt? I'm not sure anyone knows who jumped first, they both seem to have begun affairs around the same time. And wasn't this for the best in the circumstances? They could keep the form of the marriage going (for the children, their duty?) without continually tearing each other apart.
  #179  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
The idea that she'd had an affair with Barry Manakee, as opposed to just a rather dependent sort of friendship, is by no means a set-in-rock fact, just like the claims of when Charles went back to Camilla. The interpretations always seem to depend on the opinions of people about Charles and Diana, and whether they want to make them look good or not.

Lashinka, I thought it was Diana's mother who'd walked out on the family to go and live with Peter Shand Kydd and that Earl Spencer was surprised that Frances was even unhappy?
  #180  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:26 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Aren't you forgetting Barry Mannakee, who pre-dated James Hewitt? I'm not sure anyone knows who jumped first, they both seem to have begun affairs around the same time. And wasn't this for the best in the circumstances? They could keep the form of the marriage going (for the children, their duty?) without continually tearing each other apart.
There is no conclusive evidence that Diana had a sexual affair with Manakee. No writer, whether pro or anti Diana has proved this.

They were very close, but he was more like a father than a lover to Diana. He was the one the Princess turned to for emotional support when the marriage was sinking fast. It was just like those early days in Buckingham Palace before her marriage when she turned to the footman and kitchen staff to talk to and have some kind of rapport with in the lonely days of being ignored.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diana/Charles/Camilla's Relationships Part 2 Warren The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 935 12-07-2005 06:49 PM
The Great Baby Guessing Challenge Part 4 Alexandria General Royal Discussion Archive 17 05-16-2005 08:02 PM
The Great Baby Guessing Challenge Part 3 Alexandria General Royal Discussion Archive 24 04-10-2005 06:33 PM
The Great Baby Guessing Challenge Part 2 Alexandria General Royal Discussion Archive 7 03-06-2005 11:20 AM
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004 Josefine Current Events Archive 300 06-12-2004 08:13 AM




Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge eveningwear fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia ińaki urdangarín james bond jewels king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news noice november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harken in canada prince nicholas prince oscar prince sebastian princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary hats princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia suits queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia rohan family state visit state visit from argentina stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises