Diana/Charles/Camilla's Relationships Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandria said:
When Charles and Diana married, it wasn't "this day and age" however. It was 1980 and times were different for monarchies. Haakon and Felipe both (allegedly) threatened to give up the throne in 2000 and onwards -- a lot has happened in monarchies in those 20 years, especially in the British royal family where we saw Anne get divorced and married again, Andrew get married and divorced, and Charles himself get divorced, and all the subsequent scandal associated with all of these divorces and controversies for the British royal family. It was not just an "anus horribilus" for the Queen, but a solid decade of "horribilus."

In a (bad and unfortunate) way, Charles and Diana's tragic and troubled relationship paved the way for Haakon and Mette-Marit and Felipe and Letizia. The othe royal families must've looked at the public scandal that Charles and Diana's mutual affairs and subsequent divorce created and wanted to avoid such scandal at all costs. If it mean allowing their sons to marry a single mom or a divorcee, yet two women their sons loved deeply, then letting true love prevail might be a better chance then forcing Haakon and Felipe to marry someone else they didn't love at all yet may have been a more "presentable" choice of bride.

The Queen would not have thrown her son out of her family, yes. But, Charles could've been removed from the line of succession. In the Dutch royal family Johan Friso and Mabel failed to seek permission from the Dutch government and as such, while Johan Friso is still his mother, Queen Beatrix's second son, he is no longer part of the royal family though he is part of the Queen's family.

Charles never abandoned his children. Even by Diana's own accounts Charles was always a good father to his sons. And judging by the affection his sons show him, I don't think they feel abandoned by their father in the least. They may be disappointed that their father and mother's marriage didn't work out or that they didn't live happily ever after, but William and Harry were most certainly not abandoned by Charles because of his affair with Camilla.

Both Charles and Diana are responsible for the failure of their marriage. It is really unfair to point the finger at Charles solely.

Your quote about avoiding scandals may be very well true but marrying someone you love was already common sense for most people even 20 years ago. Royal or not.

I never said that Charles abandoned his children. What I said was that he did his duty by fathering children and then abandoned the marraige.

Charles and Diane are both responsible for the marraige true, but it's also difficult to begin a loving and lasting marraige when your husband's mind is on his mistress even at the wedding isn't it?

Last edited:
I totally agree, the marriage was doomed to failure from the beginning because of Charles. He didn't even love Diana but Diana was clearly in love with him. Although she had suspcionous about Camilla and Charles she had nothing to back it up really.

As for the other statement Diana may be dead but Camilla will never be the grandmother of Harry and William children. Diana is still their grandmother whether she is dead or alive.

RoseMary said:
As for the other statement Diana may be dead but Camilla will never be the grandmother of Harry and William children. Diana is still their grandmother whether she is dead or alive.

I completely agree, Camilla will never be a grandparent to William or Harry's children. She will never have the natural & unconditional love to give when one becomes a grandparent. She will always simply be Charles' wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so you're saying that adoptive and step-parents can't give love? How offensive.

RoseMary said:
I totally agree, the marriage was doomed to failure from the beginning because of Charles. He didn't even love Diana but Diana was clearly in love with him. Although she had suspcionous about Camilla and Charles she had nothing to back it up really.

i agree it!

but i think Prince Charles and Late Diana,Princess of Wales's grandchildren would be their own! not Camilla if Camilla would share with Charles's its would be so suck if im mistakes or correct?

Sara Boyce

I forget where this came from, but somewhere it said that Charles and Diana's marriage was an arranged marriage that she mistakened for a fairy tale love match. She fell in love with the idea of Prince Charles, not the man. Besides the 13 year age gap, they had completely differently personalities. Charles is an introvert who likes the quiet, country life. Diana was the sloane range into all things hip and comtemporary and the city life. In last year's 20/20 special on modern royals, they said that Charles was the last European crown prince who had to find a "virgin bride."

Oh, so you're saying that adoptive and step-parents can't give love? How offensive.

No, I think she was saying that the sort of love that a grandparent gives his/her own grandchildren is a different sort of love from the love he/she has for other people's grandchildren. You may not agree with that opinion, but it isn't offensive. I agree that the notion that adoptive and step-parents can't give love is offensive, but that isn't what was said.

Last edited:
Bubbette said:

No, what I'm saying is that the love that she will have for her William and Harry's children will be a different love than the love she will have for her own biological grandchildren (Tom & Laura's). If that's offensive than so be it!

I know William and Harry will not let their children think Camilla is their grandmother. Diana didn't get the chance to grow old.

How can anyone speculate on what one feels in their heart? I know people that love their step children and step grandchildren as if they were their own blood.

If Camilla and Charles were anyone old people than that would be true but when you have the history that family has its different.
I have no doubt that Camilla will embrace William and Harry's children. But the children will not be held under the impression that Camilla is their grandmother. It would be wrong. Diana will be grandma,she will hold this title, unless someone has a way to change DNA, Camilla can never be grandma. Diana will roll in her grave if Camilla is called grandma by Diana's grandchildren. If Camilla's grandchildren want to call Camilla grandma than let them.

It won't take long after their children start reading to realize who Camilla is. If I were William and Harry's wives, a big if, I would not want Camilla's title to be grandma to my children. They would have to call her Duchess Camilla or Aunt Camilla but not grandma. But that is just me.

RoseMary said:
If Camilla and Charles were anyone old people than that would be true but when you have the history that family has its different.
I have no doubt that Camilla will embrace William and Harry's children. But the children will not be held under the impression that Camilla is their grandmother. It would be wrong. Diana will be grandma,she will hold this title, unless someone has a way to change DNA, Camilla can never be grandma. Diana will roll in her grave if Camilla is called grandma by Diana's grandchildren. If Camilla's grandchildren want to call Camilla grandma than let them.

It won't take long after their children start reading to realize who Camilla is. If I were William and Harry's wives, a big if, I would not want Camilla's title to be grandma to my children. They would have to call her Duchess Camilla or Aunt Camilla but not grandma. But that is just me.

i agree it!

but Prince Charles would be good grandpa in future!

Sara Boyce

Originally Posted by RoseMary

Could be hard to enforce. How do you explain to a two or four year old that it is Grandpapa & "Aunt Camilla" when their peers have Grandpapa & Grandmama. They will also have Camillas own grandchildren around who they will hear address her as grandma (or some other derivative). However, there are numerous other things we call our grandmothers

Nanna, Gran, Grandmere

to name a few.

There are also less obvious alternatives like

Gangan (which all of Queen Victorias grandchildren used)

Or maybe they could just be encouraged to call her Granny Milla. Her grandchildren will probably call Charles Grandpapa Charles.

wymanda said:
Could be hard to enforce. How do you explain to a two or four year old that it is Grandpapa & "Aunt Camilla" when their peers have Grandpapa & Grandmama. They will also have Camillas own grandchildren around who they will hear address her as grandma (or some other derivative). However, there are numerous other things we call our grandmothers

Nanna, Gran, Grandmere

to name a few.

There are also less obvious alternatives like

Gangan (which all of Queen Victorias grandchildren used)

Or maybe they could just be encouraged to call her Granny Milla. Her grandchildren will probably call Charles Grandpapa Charles.

Its not hard to enforce at all, the child may for a while call Camilla something or other but will eventually grow out of it when he/she understand thats not what Camilla is to be called. My daughter started calling my father, dad because I called him that when she was about 2/3. I corrected her and now she addresses him as grandpa.

I don't call my stepfather dad and my daughter doesn't call him grandpa. We call him by his first name. Granted there are some families that may freely call the person who married in "mom" or "grandma" or "nana" but not when the circumstances of that person entering into the family were so horrendous and hurtful to the biological mother & the children. I don't think William and Harry would stand for it. Their mother and her memory would always come first. Not the woman who made her miserable. I feel that they only appeased Charles with his wedding to Camilla and really could'nt care less for her. I mean why would they?

RoseMary said:
I know William and Harry will not let their children think Camilla is their grandmother. Diana didn't get the chance to grow old.
I wouldn't be so sure of that; their kids will only know Camilla.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
But they aren't really that close to Camilla. Well, Harry isn't at all close to her.

So the press tell us! :mad:
Has anyone ever heard Harry say that he doesn't like Camilla????

So, basically, non of us know exactly what Harry thinks about his stepmother but we assume that he hates her - How juvenile!

Who says that he hates her? Dislikes her, most likely. Tolerates her, definiltely.
As juvenille as you may think it sounds it is not.
It is only common sense that his feelings towards Camilla would be considerably mixed up. His feelings for her would not be of a genuine love & unconditional nature as they would be to his own mother. She did not raise him or nurture him or guide him through his life. If Camilla had come along as a positive influence when Harry was a child (without the affair issue) then maybe some sort of bonding and lasting relationship could have formed.

Aside from the fact that Charles seems to be happy with Camilla can you or anybody please tell me why you think that Harry would like her?

Putting myself in Harry's place, nope, can't say that I would have warm, fuzzy feelings for Camilla. Perhaps we should remember that Diana died just days before Harry's 13th birthday. It is said that he used to run into the room and jump into her lap for a cuddle. So in many ways he just a little boy when she died. So it is likely that the little boy still has some harsh feelings for the woman who duped his mother.

lashinka2002 said:
Aside from the fact that Charles seems to be happy with Camilla can you or anybody please tell me why you think that Harry would like her?

Perhaps as a confidante when he feels he can't talk to his father or as a way to let his father know things he doesn't feel comfortable discussing with him? I understand that many stepmothers fulfill this role for their husbands adult children. I think Camilla is too intelligent to set herself up as a replacement for their mother but I think that she will do her very best to be a freind to William & Harry and to listen when they need someone to talk to.

I'm sure Camilla will listen to the boys if ever needed but I'm not so sure they would turn to her. If they feel they can then great for them but there are other women in or outside of the family that they would probably choose to speak to first. To name a few their old nanny (with whom they were very close to), Diana's sisters, Princess Anne, the Queen...

Camilla the Nice?

lashinka2002 said:
can you or anybody please tell me why you think that Harry would like her?

God forbid, perhaps Camilla is a nice person? I've yet to read an opposite opinion from anyone who actually knows her. Which, stating the obvious, none of us do.

lashinka2002 said:
but there are other women in or outside of the family that they would probably choose to speak to first. To name a few their old nanny (with whom they were very close to), Diana's sisters, Princess Anne, the Queen...

I think you've listed the Queen twice -- she is the Queen as well as being their "old nanny." ;)

I don't know how close William and Harry really are to their maternal aunts and uncle. Despite Earl Spencer's vow at Diana's funeral that William and Harry would be raised in the manner Diana would've wanted by her "blood relatives" (or something like that), I think Diana's sisters and brother saw William and Harry a handful of times in the months after Diana's death but not too often in recent years. They of course saw them at Francis Shand's funeral, but with William being away at St. Andrew's and Harry travelling during his gap year, I don't think they see much of their Spencer aunts to confide in them. Frankly, I don't think they see much of Princess Anne or Sophie either to have a relationship that they would feel comfortable to confide in them the way they might with their mother. Camilla and the Queen are probably the two maternal figures they see the most and have the most interaction with.

I would think of Anne first, her son is sort of similar to William and Harry, she is closer in age and does not have the emotional baggage Camilla brings (even though they might like her a lot)

Anne is often overlooked.

Alexandria said:
I think you've listed the Queen twice -- she is the Queen as well as being their "old nanny." ;)

I don't know how close William and Harry really are to their maternal aunts and uncle. Despite Earl Spencer's vow at Diana's funeral that William and Harry would be raised in the manner Diana would've wanted by her "blood relatives" (or something like that), I think Diana's sisters and brother saw William and Harry a handful of times in the months after Diana's death but not too often in recent years. They of course saw them at Francis Shand's funeral, but with William being away at St. Andrew's and Harry travelling during his gap year, I don't think they see much of their Spencer aunts to confide in them. Frankly, I don't think they see much of Princess Anne or Sophie either to have a relationship that they would feel comfortable to confide in them the way they might with their mother. Camilla and the Queen are probably the two maternal figures they see the most and have the most interaction with.

susan alicia said:
I would think of Anne first, her son is sort of similar to William and Harry, she is closer in age and does not have the emotional baggage Camilla brings (even though they might like her a lot)

Anne is often overlooked.

Whilst I adore the Princess Royal I can't see her being the motherly type. In fact, she has admitted herself that maternal instincts don't come easily to her. I would think that she could be a bit intimidating and her attitude could be a little "stop whinging & get on with it". Having said that I understand that both
William & Harry are very close to Peter Phillips who they look upon as an older brother figure.

Don't forget Tiggy!

Alexandria said:

I read this post to refer to the former Tiggy Legge-Burke, who was a "nanny" of sorts, but became more of a confidant to the Princes, to Diana's chagrin. (Remember Diana accused Tiggy, at a party at Highgrove, of having had an abortion. Not nice.)

We don't hear much of Tiggy these days, especially since she married, but no doubt she is still part of the Prince of Wales circle. So perhaps she has an on-going relationship with Wills and Harry.

Camilla

:rolleyes: I WAS WONDERING WAS CAMILLA AT THE OPENING OF PARLERMENT,BECAUSE I DO REMEMBER DIANA IN THE COACH WITH THE QUEEN WHEN SHE WAS FIRST MARRIED TO CHARLES????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom