The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I do disagree with you about the Jephsons' book. I think he did want to discredit Diana to a large degree. He was angry that Diana didn't tell him about the Panorama interview and was enraged about how stupid it made him look. The book offended William and Harry--William said so in a press conference at Highgrove. I stand with William and Harry on this one.
It wasn't just because she did the Panorama interview. That would be pointless. His whole book takes you behind the story about it and about how Diana worked. And as far as William and Harry, I thought it was interesting that they are only wheeled out to slam a book when Charles's reputation is at risk. You don't see them denouncing Simmone's book, or Junor and Seward's books.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
It wasn't just because she did the Panorama interview. That would be pointless. His whole book takes you behind the story about it and about how Diana worked. And as far as William and Harry, I thought it was interesting that they are only wheeled out to slam a book when Charles's reputation is at risk. You don't see them denouncing Simmone's book, or Junor and Seward's books.
They should be out slamming any book that defames their mother. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is getting a secret thrill to see his ex wife dragged through the mud!!

They are not going to slam Ingrid Seward though. Her husband, Ross Benson, is a good friend of Prince Charles. Anything she writes is sanitized for the House of Windsor.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Courtier

I agree. I have no problem with books being written about Diana. Like Patrick said, she is a historical figure and she will be written about. But the cheap trashy plain old lies that Sewer and Junor pump out? That's not history.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree. I have no problem with books being written about Diana. Like Patrick said, she is a historical figure and she will be written about. But the cheap trashy plain old lies that Sewer and Junor pump out? That's not history.
Junor has been the ultimate Charles' supporter until recently. Her book makes her opinion about Charles' relationship with Camilla quite obvious. She never supported his relationship with Camilla which shocked the heck out of me because she is in his camp. She goes on to say that Robert Fellowes was highly disapproving of Camilla. (this is all Penny Junor's ideas, I don't claim they are accurate).

Seward has an inside scoop due to her husband. Anything she writes one must take with a grain of salt because she is not going to step on Charles' or any member of the Royal Family's toes. Her Magazine, Majesty, has gone out of its way to promote Charles and Camilla through articles and her editorials.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Ugh, how quickly she forgot whose face it was on the cover of her magazine years before that helped it sell.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ugh, how quickly she forgot whose face it was on the cover of her magazine years before that helped it sell.
Ingrid Seward has not come out and said anything that is very insulting of Diana. She doesn't dare because William and Harry would be having words with their father. Ingrid Seward had a personal interview with Diana only a few months before she died. If insults are in her book as in The Queen and Di, they are attributed to the words and feelings of others such as the Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Margaret, the Queen Mum etc.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Courtier

I've heard Seward as a royal correspondent a lot here, and she sucks up to C&C way too much.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I've heard Seward as a royal correspondent a lot here, and she sucks up to C&C way too much.
You are catching on Alicky!!!!:)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Another piece of the puzzle.... :)
Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Courtier

Tiaraprin,
Ross Benson was not a friend of Prince Charles, good or otherwise. ( He died earlier this year) They both attended the school Gourdonston (sp?) around the same time. Ross Benson was in the year below Prince Charles. While they knew each other at school they weren't friends and there was no friendship to continue after Prince Charles left.

When Ross Benson was starting out as a young journalist he used his rather tenuous link to Prince Charles ( we went to the same school) and he became a royal correspondent with one of the British tabloids and wrote a society column.

He eventually resigned from his royal watching column and became a foreign correspondent ( he covered the first gulf war) He died this year aged 56.

His wife Ingrid would have no more inside information on Prince Charles than any other royal journalist as she and her husband were not part of Charles' social circle and never have been.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Tiaraprin,
Ross Benson was not a friend of Prince Charles, good or otherwise. ( He died earlier this year) They both attended the school Gourdonston (sp?) around the same time. Ross Benson was in the year below Prince Charles. While they knew each other at school they weren't friends and there was no friendship to continue after Prince Charles left.

When Ross Benson was starting out as a young journalist he used his rather tenuous link to Prince Charles ( we went to the same school) and he became a royal correspondent with one of the British tabloids and wrote a society column.

He eventually resigned from his royal watching column and became a foreign correspondent ( he covered the first gulf war) He died this year aged 56.

His wife Ingrid would have no more inside information on Prince Charles than any other royal journalist as she and her husband were not part of Charles' social circle and never have been.
oh i never know that!

why not Prince Charles and Ross would be friendship and more respectives!

Sara Boyce
Old 08-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Tiaraprin,

That is interesting. Here in the States, he has been named as a friend of Charles. I didn't know he died, what happened?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Being Reasonable

Quote:
:Originally Posted by tiaraprin.I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is getting a secret thrill to see his ex wife dragged through the mud!.

Tiaraprin, I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit unfair to speculate that Charles gets satisfaction from seeing his sons' mother "dragged through the mud". Instead I would think that he wished this seemingly endless series of "Diana Exposés" would cease, if not for his peace of mind then certainly for that of his sons.

There is nothing for him to be gained by the continual re-hashing of the details of his failed marriage by various so-called "insiders" many years after the event. The "War of the Waleses" ended long ago. People will believe what they want to believe, and support who they want to support no matter what any "startling new revelations" from questionable sources claim.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

[QUOTE=tiaraprin]
Quote:
That is interesting. Here in the States, he has been named as a friend of Charles. I didn't know he died, what happened?
Heart attack, unexpected.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
[/i]

Tiaraprin, I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit unfair to speculate that Charles gets satisfaction from seeing his sons' mother "dragged through the mud". Instead I would think that he wished this seemingly endless series of "Diana Exposés" would cease, if not for his peace of mind then certainly for that of his sons.

There is nothing for him to be gained by the continual re-hashing of the details of his failed marriage by various so-called "insiders" many years after the event. The "War of the Waleses" ended long ago. People will believe what they want to believe, and support who they want to support no matter what any "startling new revelations" from questionable sources claim.
The reason I believe he gets a secret thrill is because anything that is sympathetic to him makes his relationship with Camilla all the more justified. Horrible things written about Diana can make people more sympathetic to his "plight" in the acceptance of Camilla and his marriage.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Personally, I don't think Charles is an evil mastermind. I think he is weak when it comes to personal relationships and the like, but I think he is surrounded by masterminding sycophants who take advantage.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Personally, I don't think Charles is an evil mastermind. I think he is weak when it comes to personal relationships and the like, but I think he is surrounded by masterminding sycophants who take advantage.

Oh Alicky, I don't doubt that the sycophants that surround him are evil . . .
Old 08-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Oh Alicky, I don't doubt that the sycophants that surround him are evil . . .
Quote:
The reason I believe he gets a secret thrill is because anything that is sympathetic to him makes his relationship with Camilla all the more justified. Horrible things written about Diana can make people more sympathetic to his "plight" in the acceptance of Camilla and his marriage.
Oh Dear, Another conspiracy theory!!

Apart from the fact that even if he felt nothing for her in the end (something I seriously doubt) Charles loves his sons and they are probably the best thing that came out of his marriage to Diana.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I believe Charles did love Diana and wanted the marriage to work. Maybe they both were on opposite sides of the spectrum in coming to terms with what was necessary to make it work, but he did love her.

I think it's pretty clear that once the divorce was behind them, both Charles and Diana put the past aside and became very good friends. No matter what happened during their marriage, she was the mother of his two children and I think to suggest there was some kind of "evil" consipracy is extremely silly.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Considering that Charles seems to have an abiding suspicion of the press and the whole royal family has an abiding suspicion of "friends" and hangers on who tattle to the media, I should think his major response at seeing yet another article about some sordid side of his wife and his marriage would be somewhere between resignation, frustration, and annoyance. Most of the people still writing smut about Diana are doing it for their own gain, and he's got to be savvy enough to know that.

Tags
camilla, diana princess of wales, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, relationships