The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't think that he needs to better establish credibility and identity as king. the vast majority of the public (the silent majority) expect him to be king and be called Charles III. He'd look stupid if he called himself anything else.
Exactly. His credentials can never and will never surpass those as PoW, unless there is a WW III and constitutional crisis at the same time, and he single-handedly assumes full power and successfully steers the nation to become a world power again.
Also he'd definitely be made to look stupid by our DM and all..They have Americanised themselves so much that they are now ready to refer a Queen Consort with her maiden last name..

Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

And BTW, do you count that as a 'public appearance'? I am not sure.. Did anyone, public or media, barring those inside the cathedral see her? NOOOO
Her 'final public appearance' was recommissioning of HMS Ark Royal in Portsmouth, I believe- atleast the last one I saw on TV/Youtube. SHe apparently attended some races and presented trophies also..
Are the people inside the Cathedral not the 'public'? I think they are.

Quote:
Also he'd definitely be made to look stupid by our DM and all..They have Americanised themselves so much that they are now ready to refer a Queen Consort with her maiden last name..
What do you mean by this? I don't see why "americanised" has anything to do with maiden names? Could you explain?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Courtier

I wonder..

Whether the Queen has already had her regnal name finalised before that 'moment' came..I read somewhere that soon after she was informed of the King's death, her Private Secretary asked her what will she chose for her regnal name, and she said immediately "My own, of course"..
But as far as I know all such things are meticulously planned ages in advance to the minutest in detail.
So Charles also must have made up what he is going to reign as, with due approval of his mother..
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Whether the Queen has already had her regnal name finalised before that 'moment' came..I read somewhere that soon after she was informed of the King's death, her Private Secretary asked her what will she chose for her regnal name, and she said immediately "My own, of course"..
But as far as I know all such things are meticulously planned ages in advance to the minutest in detail.
So Charles also must have made up what he is going to reign as, with due approval of his mother..
Why does he need the approval of his mother? She'll be dead when he reigns, moreover she chose to name him Charles. Things that are meticulously planned are coronation details, announcements, titles etc, a name is a choice made by The King or Queen and can be changed on a day to day basis, the "my own of course" story seems correct for Queen Elizabeth II.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles has certainly had ample time to ruminate on which name he will use, should he outlive his mother. 'Charles' is certainly an appropriate name from a historical viewpoint.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Commoner

The Prince has been known as Charles since he was born, It would be easier for everyone if he's just Charles III. I think it would be an odd feeling to wake up to the news of King George or another name, almost like a different person.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaForQueen View Post
The Prince has been known as Charles since he was born, It would be easier for everyone if he's just Charles III. I think it would be an odd feeling to wake up to the news of King George or another name, almost like a different person.
George VI was known as Bertie all his life, but he chose a different name.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Exactly - Bertie in the family and Prince Albert officially and still chose George as his regnal name.

Edward VII was always known as Bertie in the family and Prince Albert Edward officially and his mother expected him to reign as King Albert Edward but he still chose just to use the regnal name of Edward VI and no one seemed to mind that at the time.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always thought that there were kind of extenuating circumstance surrounding the names they had/the names they went with in regards to the two Berties, Edward VII and George VI.

Edward, previously known as Prince Albert Edward, had a typical Hanoverian relationship with his parents - I wouldn't exactly say that he liked them or that they liked him. He was named in part for his father, and it was his mother's desire that he be crowned "King Albert Edward" and that all subsequent Kings be "Albert something" (hence his first son's name being "Albert Victor"). Except, can you really blame a guy for not wanting to be known (for the rest of your life and really the rest of history) by the name of a guy who 1. you didn't really like and 2. you were accused of causing the death of, in accordance to the wishes of 1. another person you didn't really like who 2. did the accusing?

As for George, he came to the throne during a crisis. His name choice didn't necessarily reflect his feelings regarding his name but rather a desire to stress the connection with his father.

Charles has, to the best of my knowledge, no issues regarding his name and no need to stress any continuity with any of the Georges. His mother named him Charles, suggesting that she wanted him to become Charles III, but there isn't a Hanoverian relationship there. Furthermore it's the name that he's been known by for 64 years. Yes, both Edward and George were known by other names prior to ascending, but I always felt more like they were known by their titles - The Prince of Wales and The Duke of York - more so than any name. Charles, however, is known by his name.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
George VI was known as Bertie all his life, but he chose a different name.

But I don't think he was known as Bertie to the general public. The press usually referred to him as the Duke of York.

Whereas Charles is generally called Prince Charles.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean much; he could change it easily when he ascends the throne.
But it would seem a bit odd after all these years.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But I don't think he was known as Bertie to the general public. The press usually referred to him as the Duke of York.

Whereas Charles is generally called Prince Charles.
Generally he's The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cornwall and then Prince Charles in articles. If Bertie had been around in a less "sophisticated" age, i'm pretty sure he would have been known as search. There's only one way we know him as Bertie and not Albert, and I doubt his family talked.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Generally he's The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cornwall and then Prince Charles in articles. If Bertie had been around in a less "sophisticated" age, i'm pretty sure he would have been known as search. There's only one way we know him as Bertie and not Albert, and I doubt his family talked.
I agree. The Berties changing their names worked because they lived in a more "sophisticated" age. We don't, and that should be taken into consideration if Charles decides to change his name.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Courtier

My fear is when Charles ascends the media will keep calling him Prince Charles good god.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
My fear is when Charles ascends the media will keep calling him Prince Charles good god.
They're bad but they're not that bad. However TV presenters seem to love calling The Queen "Her Royal Highness".
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I don't think they'll be *that* bad. I do think that whatever name he choses, the media might stick with Charles.

I think the same will happen with Camilla; regardless of whether she's styled Queen or Princess Consort, the media's going to make a decision and it'll stick with it, much like how they insist on still calling Catherine "Kate Middleton" and Diana was "Princess Diana."
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have some sympathy with the press when it comes to the BRF's rather arcane rules on titles. The vast majority of people know Kate as 'Kate' or 'Kate Middleton'. They don't think of her, generally, as the Duchess of Cambridge. Same with Diana being Diana, Princess of Wales, instead of Princess Diana. If they'd just have Princess Kate/Catherine, Princess Camilla, Princess Sophie, it would be so much easier.

Re George VI - we know the royals now so much more than the man on the street did back then. Other than on the occasional newsreel in the cinema, or newspaper article, Bertie was not so well known as Charles is. We've been reading about him, watching programmes about him, seeing pictures and articles about him all the time for decades. He is 'Charles'. To suddenly start calling him 'George' would just be weird.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I have some sympathy with the press when it comes to the BRF's rather arcane rules on titles. The vast majority of people know Kate as 'Kate' or 'Kate Middleton'. They don't think of her, generally, as the Duchess of Cambridge. Same with Diana being Diana, Princess of Wales, instead of Princess Diana. If they'd just have Princess Kate/Catherine, Princess Camilla, Princess Sophie, it would be so much easier.
I do agree, it's all difficult. I think because they went with "Princess Diana" instead of her proper title they kind of screwed the rest over - there's no going back. I will say that they seem to get Camilla and Sophie right, it's just Catherine that they don't make an effort with - and even then it depends on where you are and what the scope is. I seem to remember the newspapers here getting their titles right when William and Catherine did their tour of Canada in 2011. The DM online seems to go back and forth between calling her Kate, Catherine, and the Duchess (in the same articles).
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Charles III he should be, though if he decides otherwise, I think this will imprint the image of a weak man on the minds of many (not least of all myself), who is scared to even use his own name for sake of association with Monarch's of an entirely different nature and era.

The Queen named her son Charles, and he should honour that.
I could not agree anymore! WELL Said! But I hope the queen won't die any soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post

I could not agree anymore! WELL Said! But I hope the queen won't die any soon.
Presumably at some point in the next 20 years she will. Probably even less. If not then I'm voting cyborg.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is only one reason that I could think of for Charles to use George.

That would be if he wanted to keep his position as Head of State separate from the opinions and ideas he has as he own person. That's not going to happen without a big hue and cry as the press discovers that Charles still does think and feel about things he's been passionate about for years. OK. Rule out George as an alias.

If anything. I'd be willing to bet that we'll have a King Fred and Queen Gladys if its not Charles III.