The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Edward VII

There may have been another reason why Edward VII choose not to reign under his birth name. Despite the rash of copy cat naming of baby boys, after 1840, the name " Albert " was relatively rare in British society, and still regarded as being rather foreign. Certainly in comparison to the traditional names favoured by British Monarchs, it sticks out like a sore thumb. King Albert I of Great Britain and Ireland.....no, even after more than a century, it just does`nt sound right.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

But it's regal -at the moment we have two reigning Alberts, both the second of their name... of Belgium and of Monaco.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This puzzles me, the whole regal name thing. If your parents take the time and effort to choose your name for you, your first name, the name you will be known as for the rest of your life. Why then does a person change it when becoming a monarch?
If it's to honour another previous monarch, or relation, then surely your parents would have thought about honouring them when picking your name originally. It's not like a name will ever truly affect the way you reign, so why change it? It's kind of like by choosing to honour another member, you dishonour your own parents choices, to me anyway.

Also; I think King Albert would have been a lovely regal name, seeing as that's the name his parents gave him.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe because they want to. If Charles wants to be Charles III or George VII, that's entirely his right. Or maybe he can call himself King Wing-Ting-Walla-Walla-Bing-Bang and scrap all four of his names altogether. It doesn't really matter, does it? What he chooses to call himself as King has no bearing on how good/bad of a job he'll do, or what people will think of him.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
What he chooses to call himself as King has no bearing on how good/bad of a job he'll do, or what people will think of him.
Exactly! So why bother choosing a new name as King?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Exactly! So why bother choosing a new name as King?
To repeat myself:

Quote:
Maybe because they want to.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It doesn't really matter, does it?
Of course it matters.

The name of an identified figurehead at the highest level of societal representation both nationally and internationally is quite important. Keeping in mind that the monarch's position is one which should instill a sense of continuity. Theres nothing consistent about being known as Charles for however long he remains Prince of Wales then only to be officially known as whatever other name that should please him when he succeeds. It's nonsensical.

What's in a name? Everything it would seem, and then again nothing. I'm sure it does not not change the way a person functions in their capacity as monarch, but in terms of social recognition and for history's sake, the regnal name is an important brand. It becomes a symbol of a sovereign's reign by which the institution of monarchy is referred to during and after that particular monarch's lifetime.

Thus it is in itself, a legacy.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if this is the kind of thing one discusses with one's parent, or if the decision is made solo? With whom would you seek advice on this?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Serene Highness

I too like the idea of a King David, because of the Scottish connection to King David I, who was an influential king in spreading the type of government brought in by his mother Queen Margaret. But I don't see it as a name for Charles, who will always be Charles to us. It would be a great name for a son of William, but one could go batty trying to think what names the Cambridges would like. We can start that some other thread!
Like the Welshman here, I think back to the cruelties of Edward I against Scotland. He destroyed revered monasteries in Scotland as revenge for any nationalistic fervor. He was among the most fierce in putting down others.
Another little used Scottish traditional regnal name is Robert, but again, that might be something for the Cambridges to consider.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

IMO, I think many people throughout the realms would bust out their best 'side eye' if the Prince of Wales chose a regnal name other than King Charles III.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
IMO, I think many people throughout the realms would bust out their best 'side eye' if the Prince of Wales chose a regnal name other than King Charles III.

Have to agree with this.I also think having a regnal name is kind of dated/backwards, and the POW certainly isn't.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
Have to agree with this.I also think having a regnal name is kind of dated/backwards, and the POW certainly isn't.
Although Charles will be the first King of the 21st century and he is quite a traditionalist still, I think the days of choosing a different regnal name will be something that will be relegated to the history books.

I do think it will be King Charles III and Queen Camilla with King William IV and Queen Catherine.

On the subject of a regnal name of King David, I seriously doubt that it will ever come to pass in our lifetimes. For one, there are still those that would associate a King David with the abdication of Edward VIII. Another reason perhaps is that it would have a slight political implication in global affairs as if a King David would be honoring the David of ancient biblical times. This might be off the wall but what came to my mind on the subject.

I still like Charles the Green.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I still like Charles the Green.
I love this!

I also think he will choose to reign as Charles.

Weird, isn't it, to think of "Queen Camilla" - not for *any* other reason than Camilla is just not a name I associate with a "Queen" except in a pop-star sort of way. Truth be told, I think she's a credit to her role and will be a good consort for Charles - a little like George's Mary, maybe.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now that you mention it, in a way I kind of would associate the pair of them as being similar to Charles' grandparents George and Elizabeth. Camilla will be just as strong of a support system for Charles as his beloved grandmother was.

Its kind of nice to realize how over the past generations and getting a bit of a glimpse into probable future reigns how closely a monarch and his/her consort rely and depend on each other and if that couple can remain stable and work together, it bodes well for the realm also.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Majesty

Oh, I love 'Charles the Green' ! Fits him to a tee.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Aristocracy

Could be mistaken, but it is my belief that the reason Albert took George VI as his Regnal name was twofold:

1. Albert was seen at the time, just before the onset of war, as being too "German" - I believe it was Churchill who suggested George as a means of dealing with that problem and it had the benefit of ...

2. Establishing continuity with the well-liked George V after Edward's abdication.

Charles, as Regnal name, has a bit of baggage, no? The first was beheaded and the second was a little bit of a hedonistic chap, if history remembers him well. I always wondered why they named him Charles, to be truthful.

Semi joke: If he has to pick from his actual names (Charles Phillip Arthur George), I would go with Arthur. We could use another King Arthur, don't you think?

Back to serious: I think he should be George VII.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope Charles will keep his own name when he becomes King.
( I just like it sooo much better than George...I agree with Tyger that George is old-fashioned and a bit stuffy).

As for Albert, there's never been a King Albert and I'm so relieved! Such a dorky name!
I think better of Charles than imagining he would choose that! Ewww.

I love the name David, I hope William and Catherine use that for one of their children in future.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

Well whatever name the Prince of Wales decides on, he will make a excellent king when his time comes IMO.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Commoner

I think anything other than Charles would be silly-and would be greeted with much surprise.There will be enough to-do about whether it is to be Queen Camilla or not without suddenly giving himself another name after being known world wide as Charles for what will be then be at least 70 years...

It was different in the days of Edward VII and George VI-people were far less familiar then and would have refered to them much more by their titles ( Prince of Wales/Duke of York) than their given names before they became King.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

I agree