The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

You fill in a form and legally change your name. It is an old name for the process of changing your name. You no longer have to go to court but simply fill in the form and have the change of name registered (certainly here that is the process).

Old 08-25-2016, 01:39 AM
Royal Highness

Its a simple legal procedure, I think it is usualy to change one's name. But ther's no need for Charles to chage his name. If he wanted to call himself King Adrian, he could do so.. there's no law that you have to make a legal change of your name..

Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles III or George VII?
BBC NEWS | UK | Charles 'considers name change'
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think perhaps Charles may have tossed around using George as his regnal name when he was younger but as time passed and he's been blessed to have his mother still at 90 going strong, he may have come to believe that as far as history goes, the bulk of his contribution to Crown and country will be defined by his work as The Prince of Wales than his reign as King.

Knowing that perhaps his reign will be a relatively short one compared to his mother, I think he will prefer to use his given name Charles rather than define his monarchy by opting to be King George VII and leave that regnal name for his grandson to use in due time should he choose.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Courtier

King Charles, why anything else? That's what he'll be known "locally" as anyway!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Not if he officially chooses to be known as George VII.. His name will be on the coins, etc. whatever name he chooses is going to be his official name.. an he will be known by it.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If he does choose to use George VII as his regnal name, I bet there will be a lot of people actually rushing to learn roman numerals. They're not that widely used anymore in everyday use. I still make mistakes with my Georges. Besides that, its possible that a whole lot of implications and comparisons being made with his grandson then being George VIII. Henry the VIII was quite the historical figure and so was Edward VIII.

I kind of like a whimsical idea of Charles being Charles the Green and using a frog with it on a coin. Won't happen but I think it'd define Charles well.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Courtier

It will be King Charles and Queen Camilla .....
Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 AM
Royal Highness

Probably it will but it is quite possible, that he could be Geo VII or King Arthur, or even King Philip. If He does opt for not being Charles III, I think it would be most likely that he would follow his grandfather nd be G VII
Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't. I think after perhaps 70 years plus that Charles will choose the name he's been known by all those decades, ill-starred as he supposedly once thought it was.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 AM
Nobility

Why would Prince Charles want to change his 1st name just because he will be king someday? He was born Charles and that is a nice strong name for any man and dignified also.....the world knows him as Charles and the family knows him as such so I think it would be hard to all of a sudden for him to have everyone call him something else...*Hey, George as someone calls him and Charles does not turn around when being called*........
Old 08-03-2017, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't they say "Hey, Your Majesty!"
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Aristocracy

The thing is-he wouldn't be changing his name, he'd just be using one of his other names--just like his grandfather, his uncle, and his great great grandfather did.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but King George V didn't use Albert, his first name because there had never been any King Alberts on the British throne and he didn't want to start, especially as in 1936 the Windsors wanted to emphasise continuity.

King Edward VII didn't want to be Albert I for the same reason, (no previous Alberts) and although his parents had undoubtedly hoped that he would reign as King Albert Edward of Great Britain when he was christened, he chose to be simply Edward when he was crowned.

Kings of Great Britain don't seem to have wanted to rock the boat in the last two centuries as far as adopting foreign names. Charles however does have two predecessors on the throne who were Charles so there will be no real need to change.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The thing is-he wouldn't be changing his name, he'd just be using one of his other names--just like his grandfather, his uncle, and his great great grandfather did.

By "his uncle" I assume you mean Edward VIII (who was actually his great-uncle). While EVIII was known in the family as David, that was actually the last of his names - his first was Edward, which is what he was always known publicly as.