The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Any reason known why the King vetoed it? It is a royal name, plain and sutiable, so I can't see why he would not like it. Margaret is a nice name too... but it wasn't their first choice.
This is so interesting. Why would she have asked permission in the first place? Did the Queen Mum suspect that Ann might not be acceptable?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

I do remember reading that they wanted to choose Ann.. but I cna't remember if the King did not like it...

Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
No offence, but how did a discussion abo
2) the name 'Charles III' reminds me too much of the bad jokes and general nastiness of the bad old days of the war of the waleses

George VII is a fresh start, it's got dynastic continuity, and to me anyway, it sounds much more dignified and regal. Also wasn't Bonnie prince Charlie technically Charles III?
it is Charles' name, the one he has always been known by. I dont want him to adopt a name he has never used. And im not sure what it has to do with the War of the Waleses...
Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I do remember reading that they wanted to choose Ann.. but I cna't remember if the King did not like it...
Did some digging and all I could find is that George V didn't like the name "Anne". No other reasons available that I could see.

I also think that if Charles has been going by his given name for going on close to 70 years, he'd find it odd to use any other name. People would probably have a hard time adjusting to it also. I think he'll leave George in the wings for when his grandson becomes King.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
it is Charles' name, the one he has always been known by. I dont want him to adopt a name he has never used. And im not sure what it has to do with the War of the Waleses...
Charles's full name is Charles Philip Arthur George so technically he has used the name for a long time. The name change has precident: queen Victoria, Edward VII and George VI all had differing regnal names from their names they were known by before coming to the throne. There was a conserted effort to get the current queen to take the name 'Mary III' out of sensitivity to Scottish sensibilities. All popes take a different name when they become pope' and taking a different name is in fact, globally, a common Royal practice.

So in my view there would be nothing unusual about Charles as King George VII.

Charles III also is the name of that play that's been about C's early abdication, and reminds me too much of the "will Charles ever be King?!" Tabloid Headlines from back in the day

I also must confess a more selfish reason for wanting George, it's a family name for my family so I like it for those reasons.

Why he can be 'George the Green' when the time comes
Old 06-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see an advantage of Charles using George instead of Charles. Almost no one alive will have a living memory of George VI.

He isn't even referred to by his family with a different name so it not like Edward VIII who was David to his family. Charles isn't George to his family. The public knows him as Charles. It isn't going to make the people who don't like him to start to like him if he goes by a different name.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Oh, George wouldn't have known those sort of genealogical details about his family tree, though probably Queen Mary did. He most likely just didn't like the name and that was that! Perhaps he thought she should have been named after Queen Mary, his wife, (ignoring that there had been a Mary Stuart.)

George V probably didn't know the genealogical details at all, he wasn't known for having been well educated.

His wife definitely was, on the other hand. But I doubt there would have been too much of a push to have Margaret named Mary, as Elizabeth already had it as one of her names (along with Alexandra, for George V's mother).

Margaret actually didn't get any BRF family names, so I'm thinking the Anne veto was more to a personal preference than anything else. I doubt Queen Mary had issue with it, as George VI had no problem with letting his daughter use the name when she had her own daughter (I doubt if Queen Mary had taken issue with using Stuart names, neither Charles nor Anne would have gotten Stuart names).
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No offence, but how did a discussion about Charles' regnal name become about alternate names for princess Margaret (RIP)?

I am personally hoping that he will be King George VII, for two reasons:

1) Prince George will then be George VIII when the time comes,

And

2) the name 'Charles III' reminds me too much of the bad jokes and general nastiness of the bad old days of the war of the waleses

George VII is a fresh start, it's got dynastic continuity, and to me anyway, it sounds much more dignified and regal. Also wasn't Bonnie prince Charlie technically Charles III?
Bonnie Prince Charlie was referred to as King Charles III. However this Charles Stuart was never crowned as a monarch.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Bonnie Prince Charlie wasn't "technically" anything. Jacobites may have called him Charles III, but he wasn't a monarch, really he wasn't even a Prince. He was born to a self proclaimed King who was part of a deposed regime. He was never entitled to any titles, and any titles he claimed to have were used in pretence. The Queen and DoE saw no problem with him using the name (and George VI, the Queen Mum, and Queen Mary, who all very likely could have prevented it's being used, didn't stop it).

Quote:
Charles's full name is Charles Philip Arthur George so technically he has used the name for a long time. The name change has precident: queen Victoria, Edward VII and George VI all had differing regnal names from their names they were known by before coming to the throne. There was a conserted effort to get the current queen to take the name 'Mary III' out of sensitivity to Scottish sensibilities. All popes take a different name when they become pope' and taking a different name is in fact, globally, a common Royal practice.

Charles has had the name for his whole life, but he's never gone by it. There is a difference.

And Victoria (who went by Victoria publicly), Edward VII (who had a double barrelled first name), and George VI (who came to the throne under special circumstances), don't really set a precedent. In a thousand years, and more than 80 monarchs, 4 monarchs who did change their name (including Robert III of Scotland) doesn't really make a precedent.

And that it happens in other monarchies doesn't really mean much. First of all, it doesn't really happen in European monarchies, and secondly, even less so in modern European monarchies (the exception tends to be in families where there are strong naming conventions or when a foreigner accepts a throne and changes their name to something that reflects the new home). The papacy is a hugely different type of monarchy, with completely different traditions, and shouldn't be used as a precedent for what the BRF does.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

What name will Charles Philip use?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:35 AM
Serene Highness

Probably Charles
Old 07-10-2016, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles will do as his mother did before him, reign by his own name. It doesn't matter the history of the name. Elizabeth didn't choose to reign by her name because of Elizabeth I. When asked what name she would reign by, she said her own of course. Charles is his mother's son.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Serene Highness

It doesn't mean that he will do everything the same as her, in fact he has generally shown tht he wants to be different.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Commoner

Her Majesty will never abdicate.

Her Majesty will never abdicate, she made the promise to her people. In the event of her inability to carry out her duties, a regency would be created. Charles has a right to choose whatever name he wishes. George or Charles would be excellent.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I just had a giggle of a thought. If and when Charles and Camilla become King and Queen/Princess Consort, they may opt out to call each other King Fred and Queen Gladys in private.

A brief history of the nicknames:

Charles and Camilla Nicknames, Gladys and Fred : People.com
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
I think that a King "George VII of England" (the regnal title I expect Charles to take) should look to Juan Carlos of Spain as a model to emulate. I think under "George VII" there may be a move to codify the English constitution, Scotland may succeed (and hopefully Wales too), many Commonwealth countries may go republican, and "George VII" will have an opportunity to recast the monarchy in England from an "Imperial" monarchy to one more in line with the Spanish or Scandinavian examples.... streamlined court, less excessive pomp or fuddy duddyness, yet while honoring those aspects of hereditary monarchy that do play a role in a democratic nation.

I think he can best let his sentiments be known by the causes he patronizes, rather then becoming a spokesman... which may conflict with his constitutional duties. The King of Spain does have opinions that on occasion he lets be known in public, and he does vote in referendums (and maybe in elections, this I don’t know for sure.) But he has tact to know the difference when to speak his mind and when not to.

I like Charles, and hope his wife becomes queen of England. I think he will do a great job, but it may be temptious as England will be going through many changes during his kingship.
I'm sorry, but the future British King should not follow the example of European monarchies. We have always done things differently to Europe. Pomp and circumstance is what we do in this Kingdom. The Commonwealth and the UK should remain united.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

When Charles becomes the sovereign, what if he chose to use Charles III Philip as his regnal name?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

No. For many reasons.

1. Charles is not Charles Philip. He doesn't have a double first, Philip is one of his middle names,
2. Even the British kings who did have double barrel, ruled by only 1.
3. And if he broke with tradition he would simply be King Charles Philip, It is a Swedish thing to put the number in between. The Brits have a pretty remote link to Swedes, no reason they would adopt their odd style. Like Willem-Alexander. Instead of William IV Alexander, he is simply Willem-Alexander. If he had chosen to use the ordinal he'd have dropped Alexander from his first name.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

It depends from country to country. The many Stadtholders and Kings themselves never used the numeral. It was always: "We, Willem, by the grace of God King of the Netherlands". It is the outside world, it are the historians, adding a numeral to the name for quite understandable reasons.

In the UK the numeral is already used during lifetime and in official documents. In the interview before the kingship the Prince of Orange was pretty logical. "Willem-Alexander simply is my name. That is how I am called. Not Willem and not Alexander." Knowing that the Prince of Wales has been known all his long life as Charles, it seems unlikely to me he will ever be known with another name than that. He can follow the very same logic: "Charles simply is my name. That is how I am called. Not Philip and not Arthur."
Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I just had a giggle of a thought. If and when Charles and Camilla become King and Queen/Princess Consort, they may opt out to call each other King Fred and Queen Gladys in private.

A brief history of the nicknames:

Charles and Camilla Nicknames, Gladys and Fred : People.com
I hope not. It is kind of an embarrassing thing which became public due to the whole drama of his first marriage. And it is a private reminder of their pre marital affair.
I think he'll opt for Charles, ie Charles III. It would be odd nowadays to take a different name for reigning...