The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

We also know that George VI and Queen Elizabeth had wanted to name Margaret (I think I am right on which daughter it was) Anne but George V refused to allow them to do so - so when given the chance to have an Anne in the family the Queen chose that name for her daughter - probably knowing that her parents liked the name.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I don't see what advantage is gained by a late sixty to seventy old Charles to change his name. If he used George, almost know one would be alive who remembers George VI's as their King. More people will probably think of Colin Firth than the actual George VI.

He has waited a long time why lose your identity by using a different name. It's not like he has ever used a different name privately.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Completely agree. He has been known as Prince Charles for over 65 years, it would make no sense if he chose a regnal name that was different

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He has never publicly said anything on the matter. There have been unconfirmed reports that he has discussed this matter with family and friends.

It would actually be seen as very bad taste and totally out of line for him to publicly express a view on any issue relating to his accession, including his regnal name.

I suspect that the push for George VII would have come from his grandmother as an acknowledgement of her beloved husband and I wouldn't have been surprised that if he had succeeded during her lifetime or shortly after her passing if he had taken George VII but now I am not so sure.

Thank you! I might be totally wrong but, since I think that Charles will be a modern king and will make his own decisions and thus, he will be "particular" and "on his own" I think he will put a bit of tradition and ancient times behind and will reign as "Charles III"... Just a feeling though...
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, that's true. There seem to have been an extraordinary number of Georges due to the Hanovarian liking for the name. A lack of imagination, perhaps!

Of course Edward VII would have been Albert Edward if his mother had had her way. I think he made the right choice in plumping for the single name.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

BBC News Frontpage | LATEST BREAKING NEWS mentioned that The Prince of Wales has reportedly considered using the name George when he becomes King. He has discussed ditching the title Charles III.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We also know that George VI and Queen Elizabeth had wanted to name Margaret (I think I am right on which daughter it was) Anne but George V refused to allow them to do so - so when given the chance to have an Anne in the family the Queen chose that name for her daughter - probably knowing that her parents liked the name.
Indeed, the Queen Mum wrote to her MIL that she wished to name her second daughter Ann but it got vetoed by the king.

Quote:
"I am very anxious to call her Ann Margaret, as I think Ann of York sounds pretty, & Elizabeth and Ann go so well together
While I agree, George VII would continue a pattern, I think it will be Charles III. I have a hard time picturing a man who has been Charles for 65 years and counting now, suddenly going by a new name.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Indeed, the Queen Mum wrote to her MIL that she wished to name her second daughter Ann but it got vetoed by the king.

While I agree, George VII would continue a pattern, I think it will be Charles III. I have a hard time picturing a man who has been Charles for 65 years and counting now, suddenly going by a new name.
Charles III does seem the obvious choice. Hopefully Charles Philip Arthur George will be Charles III.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
BBC News Frontpage | LATEST BREAKING NEWS mentioned that The Prince of Wales has reportedly considered using the name George when he becomes King. He has discussed ditching the title Charles III.
I believe the first time this possibility was mentioned was in 1948 when his actual name was announced and has been reported continually ever since.

We will know on either his Accession Day itself or the next day (if the actual time of the Accession is late in the day the announcement at the Accession Council will be the next day for logistical reasons only).
Old 05-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure he will be King Charles III. There have been unconfirmed reports over the years that Charles doesn't really care for his name much, considering it ill-starred (because of the Stuart line presumably.)

I do wonder why it was given to him. A favourite of the Queen Mother's, a nod over the border at the Scottish inheritance, a change from all the Georges?

Nevertheless, he has had it for nigh on seventy years and I can't see him suddenly adopting 'George' as monarch. Everyone will have enough trouble adjusting to a King rather than Queen on the throne without a change of name as well!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 AM
Nobility

I know it is a little OT, but does anyone know how long it was after Edward VIII's abdication that it became known that his brother Prince Albert/Bertie had chosen the regnal name George VI?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Royal Highness

I'm also pretty sure that he will be King Charles III.

Another thing I've been wondering about lately is whether he will be known as simply the King or King Charles in the UK. Elizabeth II is (because of her very long reign and her iconicness) known as simply the Queen in the UK.

In Norway, the King is best known as King Harald. In Denmark and Sweden, the monarchs are known as both.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Proclamation declaring Prince Albert rightful sovereign as King George VI is on YouTube. It was December 12th 1946, so straight after the abdication of Edward. (There's always a Proclamation by the Duke of Norfolk and Heralds when a new Monarch comes to the throne.)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Norfolk serves as the hereditary earl marshal of the realm and it is his role to proclaim a new monarch.

Here is the queen's

The 16th Duke of Norfolk presided over both. When he passed away, his title passed to his second cousin, Miles Fitzalan-Howard, the 17th Duke. It is Miles son, the 18th duke, who will proclaim Charles and possibly William (the current duke is 60).
Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Any reason known why the King vetoed it? It is a royal name, plain and sutiable, so I can't see why he would not like it. Margaret is a nice name too... but it wasn't their first choice.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

George V was an elderly gentleman of very firm opinions. He probably just didn't like the name! There's a small chance that he thought 'Anne' unsuitable because of the Stuart connection. On the other hand, did he know that much 17th/18th century British history?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
George V was an elderly gentleman of very firm opinions. He probably just didn't like the name! There's a small chance that he thought 'Anne' unsuitable because of the Stuart connection. On the other hand, did he know that much 17th/18th century British history?
If Anne was too Stuart, recall King George II's eldest daughter was Princess Anne (1709-1759). She became the spouse of William IV, Prince of Orange.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, George wouldn't have known those sort of genealogical details about his family tree, though probably Queen Mary did. He most likely just didn't like the name and that was that! Perhaps he thought she should have been named after Queen Mary, his wife, (ignoring that there had been a Mary Stuart.)
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 AM
Nobility

No offence, but how did a discussion about Charles' regnal name become about alternate names for princess Margaret (RIP)?

I am personally hoping that he will be King George VII, for two reasons:

1) Prince George will then be George VIII when the time comes,

And

2) the name 'Charles III' reminds me too much of the bad jokes and general nastiness of the bad old days of the war of the waleses

George VII is a fresh start, it's got dynastic continuity, and to me anyway, it sounds much more dignified and regal. Also wasn't Bonnie prince Charlie technically Charles III?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm hoping he will become King Charles III!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm sticking with my vote for Charles the Green.

(walks off humming "Its Not Easy Being Green".....

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon