The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Charles will become Charles the Third, the most important reason for me is that back in 1948 Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth have chose that name for their firstborn and heir. That was a deliberate choice and undoubtedly the parents will have been aware about the two Kings with that name in the history of the British monarchy.

Last year the Netherlands welcomed a new King. In the television interview before the Investiture the then Prince of Orange made clear he would be King Willem-Alexander. Not King Willem IV or King Willem IV Alexander. He stressed that Willem-Alexander is his given name, that is how people know him all his life and he saw no reason to change it at all.

It is very well possible that the Prince of Wales has exact the same idea as his (then) Dutch colleague on this topic. Charles the Third, it sounds great. It links to Don Carlos III de Borbón y Farnese, King of Spain, King of Naples and Sicily, Duke of Parma and Piacenza (1716-1788) widely seen as one of the best Kings of Spain ever, promoting science and university research, facilitating trade and commerce, modernizing agriculture and avoiding wars. May Carlos III be a great example for Charles III !

Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles III, for many of you seems to be a non-starter, because, as acknowledged on other threads, Charles as a regnal name has bad issues from the past.
Does anyone know the story behind Elizabeth naming Prince Charles as she did? She probably never disclosed this, but I thought I would ask.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think that Charles will become Charles the Third, the most important reason for me is that back in 1948 Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth have chose that name for their firstborn and heir. That was a deliberate choice and undoubtedly the parents will have been aware about the two Kings with that name in the history of the British monarchy.

Last year the Netherlands welcomed a new King. In the television interview before the Investiture the then Prince of Orange made clear he would be King Willem-Alexander. Not King Willem IV or King Willem IV Alexander. He stressed that Willem-Alexander is his given name, that is how people know him all his life and he saw no reason to change it at all.

It is very well possible that the Prince of Wales has exact the same idea as his (then) Dutch colleague on this topic. Charles the Third, it sounds great. It links to Don Carlos III de Borbón y Farnese, King of Spain, King of Naples and Sicily, Duke of Parma and Piacenza (1716-1788) widely seen as one of the best Kings of Spain ever, promoting science and university research, facilitating trade and commerce, modernizing agriculture and avoiding wars. May Carlos III be a great example for Charles III !

There was a rumor a couple of years ago that Charles would rather be known as George VII, as opposed to Charles III.

Anyway, we don't know yet if Charles will even be king one day, much less what his regnal name will be.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Serene Highness

Imo P.Charles' way of working and mindset are long established and won't change much after he becomes king.
His ways are very different from the previous english kings Charles (I&II) and therefore imo it would be good if he *did* take Charles III as his regnal name, to sort of neutralize the name and make it acceptable again as a king's name (if you know what i mean..)

It might have been different had P.Charles become king at a very young age, but now any comparisons to the first two Charlesses will be informative from a historical point of view (and maybe an entertainment PoV) but not more than that
Old 12-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Gentry

He really should become Charles III. It would be strange to call him differently, especially since for almost 70 years, everyone knows him as Charles. I know it has been done before (most recently his grandfather Albert, who became George VI), but in these times, it would be an odd move for Charles to reign under another name.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Has he ever said anything on the matter? To me it would be fine if he chose to remain Charles... If he would change his name it would be odd for a while but then I think I would get used to it....
Old 12-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Does anyone know the story behind Elizabeth naming Prince Charles as she did? She probably never disclosed this, but I thought I would ask.

I always think it's interesting that she chose the names Charles and Anne, both Stuart names. Anne at least has positive connotations, but Charles doesn't ... OK, Charles II was popular, but the name's also associated with both Charles I and Bonnie Prince Charlie. Maybe it was a nod to the Queen Mother's Scottish ancestry! AFAIK, nothing's ever been said about why the name Charles was chosen.

I hope he'll be Charles III. I couldn't get used to thinking of him as George, or anything else for that matter!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bertie used George to link his reign with that of his father George V. It made sense to do that since the old King had died less than a year before.

For Charles to change his name after 60 plus year waiting for the throne doesn't make sense. Most of the country have had no other monarch than Elizabeth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Imo P.Charles' way of working and mindset are long established and won't change much after he becomes king.
His ways are very different from the previous english kings Charles (I&II) and therefore imo it would be good if he *did* take Charles III as his regnal name, to sort of neutralize the name and make it acceptable again as a king's name (if you know what i mean..)

It might have been different had P.Charles become king at a very young age, but now any comparisons to the first two Charlesses will be informative from a historical point of view (and maybe an entertainment PoV) but not more than that
I totally agree with you. Avoiding the use of Charles as a regnal name merely because of echoes from the long past gives those echoes more importance and power than the man who has worn the name for over 60 years and is identified by it. Let him and his name move forward and the name will acquire new connotations during his reign.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am inclined to believe even more now that Charles will reign as Charles III mainly because there's an up and coming King George in the family.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time comes.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am inclined to believe even more now that Charles will reign as Charles III mainly because there's an up and coming King George in the family.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time comes.
Young George is not a reason not to use the name. We had 3 George's in a row. Then there is continuity: George V; Edward; George VI; Elizabeth; George VII; William; George VIII.

I still think it will be Charles III - but the pattern of George's above has me wondering

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name

I don't see what advantage is gained by a late sixty to seventy old Charles to change his name. If he used George, almost know one would be alive who remembers George VI's as their King. More people will probably think of Colin Firth than the actual George VI.

He has waited a long time why lose your identity by using a different name. It's not like he has ever used a different name privately.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Charles III, for many of you seems to be a non-starter, because, as acknowledged on other threads, Charles as a regnal name has bad issues from the past.
The question why Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip named their son Charles was a top of conversation when they announced the news at his christening.
Elizabeth's only statement on the matter was that she liked the name.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally speaking I would be disappointed if he didn't reign as King Charles. He is known now throughout the commonwealth as Prince Charles, it makes no sense to change his name when he becomes king.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
The question why Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip named their son Charles was a top of conversation when they announced the news at his christening. Elizabeth's only statement on the matter was that she liked the name.
Thank you so much. Sharp memories and kindnesses like this are just two reasons I love the Forums.

I'm plumping for Charles III as well.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Gentry

His Majesty, King Charles III

He will be His Majesty King Charles III. There I have said it so it must be so, LOL.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Has he ever said anything on the matter? To me it would be fine if he chose to remain Charles... If he would change his name it would be odd for a while but then I think I would get used to it....
He has never publicly said anything on the matter. There have been unconfirmed reports that he has discussed this matter with family and friends.

It would actually be seen as very bad taste and totally out of line for him to publicly express a view on any issue relating to his accession, including his regnal name.

I suspect that the push for George VII would have come from his grandmother as an acknowledgement of her beloved husband and I wouldn't have been surprised that if he had succeeded during her lifetime or shortly after her passing if he had taken George VII but now I am not so sure.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if the Queen pushed for Princess Elizabeth to name the baby George when he was born and Philip argued for Charles?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder if the Queen pushed for Princess Elizabeth to name the baby George when he was born and Philip argued for Charles?

When Charles was born his grandfather was still alive. He was given two of George VI's names - in both cases their last given names are Arthur George. I actually think it's more of a surprise that Edward doesn't have any of his maternal grandfather's names, as Andrew's second given name is Albert.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Courtier

I do think it is more likely that Charles and Anne were a nod to the Queen Mother's Scottish heritage, though I have no proof.

The Bowes Lyons were Stuart adherents even if they didn't come out in full support of Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745. The Earl Strathmore of the day ordered the burning of Butcher Cumberland's bed after he had spent a night at the castle.

The Queen Mother would have grown up with all the Stuart legends and imparted them to her daughters.