Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the exact time the first engagement will take place?
I want to know when to expect the tv coverage to start if i am to make screen caps.

Lady Marmalade said:
Thank you, pollyemma, for answering my question.

We are hoping another member on here, ysbel, who works across the street from where they will be today in New York will be able to get some pictures and then post them on here.

ooh, that's great. I can't wait to hear what she says. i'm in DC and I will do all I can to see them but its hard to get figure out the specific times they'll be places ( i know the dates from the official diary, of course) I guess I'll have to stake out.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Does anyone know the exact time the first engagement will take place?
I want to know when to expect the tv coverage to start if i am to make screen caps.

I know...I have not seen specific times for anything either. I think because of security they are doing that...

Oh dear, I'm not able to get any pics at all. My class has almost no breaks and I don't have time to get over to the WTC platform anyway. :(

I was surprised they only started at 12pm. I'll check in after class when I hope I'll see lots of pics of the event. Don't forget they're going to the British gardens after this.

I saw a clip on CNN. I think it was new. Camilla was wearing the suit that she wore for tea with Haakon & Mette-Marit during the Norwegian State Visit.

That's a shame, ysbel. We'll have to hope it isn't another 20 years before they go back to New York, then. Better luck next time!

It's funny. Some of the articles have said the visit is not going to get much media attention, yet I've seen coverage on CNN throughout the day.

I think if the American's are 'so keen' to see Camilla and Charles, then they need to foot part of the bill! £250,000 for 8 days is just over the top!

Lady Marmalade said:
Does anyone know if reporters will be able to ask the royal couple questions, and if they have planned any walkabouts to meet and greet the people?

I'm betting that close encounters with reporters will be prevented because Charles doesn't want to answer questions about Diana or other sensitive topics. He certainly wasn't open to answering questions he wasn't prepared for on 60 Minutes.

Panther2000 said:
As an american I too the term middle America silly. Even when we Silly Americans use it.

When Americans try to test new products (like Charles and Camilla!), they always ask, "How will it play in Des Moines?" So, as far as Americans go, I'm one (I think there's another member here too) of the most important ones since I live in Des Moines.

I guess I'd like to see them if they came here (but I was more excited about Crown Prince Haakon's recent visit).

Re:

I'm betting that close encounters with reporters will be prevented because Charles doesn't want to answer questions about Diana or other sensitive topics
The British RF don't answer questions 'on the job' as it were. For example, when the Queen's opening a hospital, the press wouldn't dare ask her a question because they know they'd be ignored. Camilla has answered Reporters questions when asked and I think Princess Alexandra makes the odd comment but thats about it. Interviews are scheduled and the Royals are well primed.

zeap said:
I think if the American's are 'so keen' to see Camilla and Charles, then they need to foot part of the bill! £250,000 for 8 days is just over the top!

Does the British taxpayer pay the whole bill for travel?

I read that the cost of personal items such as their wadrobe for the trip is paid out of the Prince's personal uncome.

iowabelle said:
When Americans try to test new products (like Charles and Camilla!), they always ask, "How will it play in Des Moines?" So, as far as Americans go, I'm one (I think there's another member here too) of the most important ones since I live in Des Moines.

I guess I'd like to see them if they came here (but I was more excited about Crown Prince Haakon's recent visit).

Great to see you back on here again! :)

Re:

Does the British taxpayer pay the whole bill for travel?

We pay for the flights etc. Depending on where they stay, we could be paying the Bill for that as well. For example, if they were to stay at the White House they are the guests of the President and so the American People pay the bill whilst they stay. We only pay to send them there and bring them back. Wardrobe etc comes from the personal income of both the Prince and the Duchess but the staff are provided by the taxpayer. But Ladies-in-Waiting don't recieve a salary so she can take as many as she likes and it wont cost the tax payer anything other than the ticket to get them over to the US.

First pictures of TRH in New York from Getty Images at the British Memorial Garden at Hanover Square in Lower Manhattan 01 November 2005.
The Duchess is resembling her mother in law with those really strong colours like red much, i think so:)Though i mean she just appears much with those colours, but particularly she looks really good at her age, and she seems really elegant as well, and a humour person as well, cause i watched on TV about the scene they arrived to unveil the stone, she received a posy from a little girl, and they had a conversation and then Her Royal Highness seemed like joking put her ahnd immidiately to the girl's clothes, and then smiled, its such great.She does have a really lovely necklace, i think its the one she always uses, but now she just changed the pearl.

Attachments

• 56042240.jpg
    56042240.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 56042236.jpg
    56042236.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 56042398.jpg
    56042398.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 207
  • 56042417.jpg
    56042417.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 56042399.jpg
    56042399.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 56042383.jpg
    56042383.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 56042352.jpg
    56042352.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Re:

HRH looks divine! A wonderful outfit and she's wearing a little more make-up than usual which suits her. She looks perfect.

BeatrixFan said:
We pay for the flights etc. Depending on where they stay, we could be paying the Bill for that as well. For example, if they were to stay at the White House they are the guests of the President and so the American People pay the bill whilst they stay. We only pay to send them there and bring them back. Wardrobe etc comes from the personal income of both the Prince and the Duchess but the staff are provided by the taxpayer. But Ladies-in-Waiting don't recieve a salary so she can take as many as she likes and it wont cost the tax payer anything other than the ticket to get them over to the US.

Thank you for the explanation. I would think the same. If they were to stay at the White House then we would pay for sure.

i agree with beatrixfan

Camilla need little more less make-up not much! but her outfits looks lovely of pink

Sara Boyce

Re:

Pink suits Camilla. It makes her appear bright and youthful.

Great suit: color, fit, flattering. Nice, stylish shoes and bag. Good makeup. Very interesting necklace: pearls, and anyone know what the red stone is?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56042368.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D05020109421B14BA70977BF8215D74828CC1840502F94D2604A015CF9DF

56042368.jpg

Her hair looks OK, but I really wish she would update it.

Re:

HRH recieving a posy from a little girl;

From BBC

#1:Britain's Prince Charles (L) talks to an official during his tour of the World Trade Center site in New York City November 1, 2005. It is Prince Charles' first official visit since 1994. REUTERS/Seth Wenig

#2:Britain's Prince Charles (R) and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, participate in a dedication ceremony for a center stone at the British Memorial Garden in Hanover Square in New York, November 1, 2005. The garden will commemorate the 67 British victims of the attacks on the World Trade Center. REUTERS/Gary Hershorn
#3: New York Governor George Pataki (R) points out some areas of interest to Prince Charles (L) at the World Trade Center site in New York City November 1, 2005.
All photos from Reuters

Attachments

• r2553180673.jpg
    r2553180673.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 142
  • r1240365350.jpg
    r1240365350.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 104
  • r1243132472.jpg
    r1243132472.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 97
  • r2229323729.jpg