Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have tabloids all over the place in the U.S., and they are just as bad as the British tabloids. ;)

Skydragon said:
Diana 'courted' the cameras and publicity, she set out to get all the attention. IMO. So yes it was her fault. Camilla loves her husband and is happy to be there to support him.
I'm not surprised to hear you have the gutter press in Florida as well.

Gee, it is the gutter press if it is in the USA. What about the British gutter press?? I have heard much worse about them then our rags!

It makes one wish there was a Luxembourgish-style inviolable clause in our non-existant constitution.

tiaraprin said:
Gee, it is the gutter press if it is in the USA. What about the British gutter press?? I have heard much worse about them then our rags!

I agree! most of the lower orders of the US press are still on a higher place than the brits.

The tabloid British press is just vicious in many more respects...very appalling in their ways to get headlines and pictures..

The U.S. tabloids are not perfect by any stretch...but...

Lady Marmalade said:
The tabloid British press is just vicious in many more respects...very appalling in their ways to get headlines and pictures..

The U.S. tabloids are not perfect by any stretch...but...

sorry, should have specified that I meant tabloids, i was definitley dubbing the Economist "gutter press."

tiaraprin said:

I don't think Skydragon was denying that the British tabloids exist and that they practise some rather questionable journalism. The comment had to do with the gutter press existing in Florida too. Please note "too."

I agree! most of the lower orders of the US press are still on a higher place than the brits.

Well, not that I have much respect for the Mirror, the Sun, or even the Mail, but I'd say they operate at a considerably higher standard than rags like the National Enquirer.

The British and American papers are arranged differently. Most of the British papers are national in scope - the Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Mail, Mirror, and Sun (and others that I might have forgotten) are distributed nationally. Most major US newspapers (apart from USA Today) are local and are based in one of the big cities. The British local papers are almost entirely focussed on local news, whereas papers like the Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and Chicago Tribune are a mixture of local and national news but mostly don't tend to be available to buy in other parts of the country. Because the major British papers are available countrywide, they tend to be targetted at different demographic (rather than geographic) groups. That's why some are full of "hard" news and some are more full of gossip.

It isn't that one way is necessarily better than others but that the different sizes and histories of the two countries means that the newspapers have developed differently. It'll be interesting to see what the Internet does to papers in both countries.

Elspeth said:
Well, not that I have much respect for the Mirror, the Sun, or even the Mail, but I'd say they operate at a considerably higher standard than rags like the National Enquirer.

I think we're a little confused about semantics. by "higher place" I didnt mean that the national enquirer prints more truthful information. libel laws in the US are much more relaxed than in Britain. so there's a lot more innacurate printed in US tabloids.

I think the general tone of british tabloids is ruder and less respectful. like their photoshopping a pic of Camilla to make her look like a horse. that sort of thing happens in the US too, of course, but I dont think its quite as pervasive as in the UK.

Elspeth said:
I don't think Skydragon was denying that the British tabloids exist and that they practise some rather questionable journalism. The comment had to do with the gutter press existing in Florida too. Please note "too."

Thank you Elspeth.:)

I was saying that any paper that judges someone on their looks, is IMO, the gutter press, whether they are in the UK, Russia or America. To me tabloid = gutter press.

Lady Marmalade said.
We have tabloids all over the place in the U.S., and they are just as bad as the British tabloids

I had never realised how sensitive some Americans could be!:eek: so I will say it again,

Any paper that judges someone on their looks is, IMO, the gutter press, whether they are British or American.

Skydragon said:
Thank you Elspeth.:)

I was saying that any paper that judges someone on their looks, is IMO, the gutter press, whether they are in the UK, Russia or America. To me tabloid = gutter press.

I had never realised how sensitive some Americans could be!:eek: so I will say it again,

Any paper that judges someone on their looks is, IMO, the gutter press, whether they are British or American.

How sweet of you... but not sensitive in the least bit....especially in discussing these things.. ;)

Last edited:
shaan said:
Why can't we just let C & C alone.Diana is dead and there is no way of bringing her back - it is a shame that their marriage Di and Charles' didn't work out but why only blame him? She was no angel or saint and don't forget she had more than her share of lovers also. If camilla had been a young and beautiful 2nd wife I don't think anyone would have cared either way but because she isn't people just want to make remarks abt her etc. Let them be.no one has the right to judge people and I think that charles has always been the ' bad ' guy and i think that he can't be as bad as all that.If she makes him happy, let camilla make him happy something that beautiful and enchanting diana was unable and couldn't do.

Thank you for a well thought out post IMO.:)

Skydragon said:
Thank you for a well thought out post IMO.:)

Ironic...considering all the judging going on in the Charles, Camilla, Diana thread next door...by everyone....including me.

love_cc said:
Very glamourous, but... What I meant is to see more smiles from Camilla on these photos. Some journalists are quite mean to make some strange photos.

We are at least getting some better pictures now.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom