The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine wore black in their recent visit to the Pope and it wasn't an official visit. Madeleine also curtsied to the Pope.
And what about the Queen ?

Old 04-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
That was actually the first time Queen Elizabeth Ii did not wear black and a veil in a visit to the Pope (and she met several popes before Francis). That is what leads me to believe that Francis is the one who has relaxed the rules, but the British royals seem to be the only ones who got the message.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That was actually the first time Queen Elizabeth Ii did not wear black and a veil in a visit to the Pope (and she met several popes before Francis). That is what leads me to believe that Francis is the one who has relaxed the rules, but the British royals seem to be the only ones who got the message.

Queen Letizia wore a white business suit the last time she visited the Vatican.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Clarence House‏ @ClarenceHouse
We have had a wonderful time on the Royal visit. Thank you Austria!
Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8vevzaXoAE_IcJ.jpg

Clarence House‏ @ClarenceHouse
Today, The Prince and The Duchess ended their Royal tour of Europe. In case you missed it, see some highlights from the #RoyalVisitItaly.
Video: https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...61121683959808
Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Court Circular 3rd April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today carried out engagements in Florence, Italy.

Their Royal Highnesses this morning visited Mercato Sant'Ambrogio.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall subsequently attended a Celebration of Slow Food at Teatro del Sale.

Their Royal Highnesses later visited Opificio delle Pietre Dure.

The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Campaign for Wool, and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon attended a Celebration of Wool, Palazzo Pitti.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Caritas Hostel, Casa San Paolino.

The Prince of Wales, Vice Patron, the British Council, and Patron, the British Institute of Florence, later visited Palazzo Strozzi.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Gala Dinner at Palazzo Vecchio, at which His Royal Highness received the Strozzi Foundation's Renaissance Man of the Year Award.

Court Circular 4th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today undertook engagements in Italy.

His Royal Highness, Patron, International Network for Traditional Building, Architecture and Urbanism, and Her Royal Highness this afternoon visited the British School at Rome.

The Prince of Wales afterwards attended a Meeting on Climate Change, Holy See, and was received by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Holy See (Her Excellency Mrs. Sally Axworthy).

His Royal Highness later visited the Venerable English College and attended a Reception for the British community at the Holy See.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards visited the Archivum Secretum Vaticanum and the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Holy See.

Their Royal Highnesses were received by His Holiness Pope Francis.

The Prince of Wales later called upon the Cardinal Pietro Parolin (Cardinal Secretary of State).

His Royal Highness this evening received Ms. Ertharin Cousin (Executive Director, United Nations Food Programme) at the Residence in Rome.

Court Circular 5th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning attended a Reception at the British Embassy in Rome, Italy.

Their Royal Highnesses were afterwards received by The President of the Italian Republic at Quirinale Palace.

The Prince of Wales later called upon Mr. Paolo Gentiloni (Prime Minister of Italy) at Palazzo Chigi.

His Royal Highness this afternoon attended a Plenary Discussion on the East Africa Famine at the Headquarters of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon departed from Rome for Austria and were received later upon arrival at Vienna International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Austria (His Excellency Mr. Leigh Turner) and Mrs. Mua Duzdar (State Secretary, Federal Chancellery).

Their Royal Highnesses later visited Café Demel, Vienna.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall were received subsequently by The Federal President of the Republic of Austria and Mrs. Doris Schmidauer at Hofburg Palace.

The Prince of Wales later called upon Chancellor Christian Kern (Chancellor of the Republic of Austria) at Hofburg Palace.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Dinner at Hofburg Palace given by The Federal President of the Republic of Austria and Mrs. Doris Schmidauer.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote from an article in the Daily Telegraph (re Camilla's fashion but pertinent to recent posts re meeting the Pope)

"*Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, are currently travelling around Italy, rounding off their six day tour with a visit to Pope Francis today.

This last engagement offered up one final sartorial challenge for the Duchess- how to embrace Pope Francis's newly relaxed dress code. Instead of donning a black dress and lace mantilla as has long been customary for non-Catholic royals meeting the Pope, Camilla instead opted for a simple gold Anna Valentine coat and scarf.*"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Queen Letizia wore a white business suit the last time she visited the Vatican.
She wore a white dress with blazer. But she isn't comparable to Camilla or the queen. She is the wife of a Spanish monarch, she is entitled to wear white. The only real deviance was she wasn't wearing a veil. But like Camilla, it was a private audience so the dress code isn't as strict.

Vienna was a great last stop. Charles joined in on making a funny jab at his spouse

The riding school brings back amazing memories. My grandparents took me to the coast when little to see the Lippizaners. Long drive but started my obsession with horses. Would love to one day see in Vienna.

Sad to see tour end. Have been enjoying it.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She wore a white dress with blazer. But she isn't comparable to Camilla or the queen. She is the wife of a Spanish monarch, she is entitled to wear white. The only real deviance was she wasn't wearing a veil. But like Camilla, it was a private audience so the dress code isn't as strict.

I wasn't commenting on Letizia wearing white I was commenting on the supposed new relaxed dress code under which she could wear a business suit without a veil.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I wasn't commenting on Letizia wearing white I was commenting on the supposed new relaxed dress code under which she could wear a business suit without a veil.
Veils have never been required for private audiences. Even before lightening of rules. Letizia wore a knee length white dress with a coat, if she added a veil it wouldn't have been out of place at an official audience. Sofia herself has worn similar outfits, with no veil, on a privat pe audience.

The issue with Camilla isn't the lack of veil. It's the color she is wearing. Yes Elizabeth didn't wear black, not required for private, but she didn't wear white. White is associated with Catholic queens.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:

The issue with Camilla isn't the lack of veil. It's the color she is wearing. Yes Elizabeth didn't wear black, not required for private, but she didn't wear white. White is associated with Catholic queens.
What is wrong with the gold colour Camilla is wearing?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Court Circular 6th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today carried out the following engagements in Vienna, Austria.

Their Royal Highnesses this morning visited the Jewish Museum.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards visited the Musikverein and attended a rehearsal by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon visited the vineyard, Weinbau Buschenschank Obermann.

The Prince of Wales later attended a Meeting at the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Austrian Integration Fund.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall subsequently attended a Reception given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Austria (His Excellency Mr. Leigh Turner) at the Residence.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited the Spanish Riding School.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening arrived at Royal Air Force Brize Norton from Austria.
Mr. Clive Alderton, Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood, Mr. Julian Payne, Mrs. Laura Sullivan, Major Harry Pilcher and Mrs. Joy Maria Camm were in attendance.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What is wrong with the gold colour Camilla is wearing?
It's gold? Looks white or at least cream in most photos. Which seems to be the concern of many of the negative reactions here.

But as I have said several times, it doesn't matter. I truly enjoy the tradition as old fashion as it may be, for official visits. Private audiences don't have the same dress code. So color, no covering, doesn't bother me.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
It's gold? Looks white or at least cream in most photos. Which seems to be the concern of many of the negative reactions here.

But as I have said several times, it doesn't matter. I truly enjoy the tradition as old fashion as it may be, for official visits. Private audiences don't have the same dress code. So color, no covering, doesn't bother me.
It was said the outfit is golden color, she didnt change her clothes for Pope. And the visit was not official, there is no need for fuss over it. If it was an official visit, Camilla would have wear black clothes and veil.

We all know this Pope is very relaxed about rules and traditions of dress code.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
While I do really like that there are traditions and protocols and doing things a certain way when it comes to royalty and their countries, when it comes down to Pope Francis, it just doesn't seem in his character that he'd be a stickler for dress protocol. He's more interested in the person than the position they hold and he's a very humble man and I sort of get the feeling that he and Camilla are quite alike as they have the knack of making people feel at ease around them.

This is a man that chose not to live in the Papal apartments but rather in the Vatican guest house so that he could be among the people more.

So, with this in mind, Camilla could have shown up in a potato sack and HH wouldn't have blinked twice.

Tags
austria, duchess of cornwall, italy, prince of wales, romania