The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am sure it will be a very full agenda. This will be C&C demonstrating the soft power of the monarchy at its best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
''Check out the crazy reception the Duchess got in Naples! My picture of her presented with a pizza and then the view from behind!''
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/...87935476285440

I haven't seen so much interest from people for a royal tour since their visit too Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds that William/Kate and Harry.

But it can't (of course) match HM The Queen's visits to Australia in 2011 and her visit to Germany in 2015, and many of her other visits.
I noticed that during their last visit to NZ, especially here in Christchurch where Charles and Camilla were relaxed and quite happy to dance with members of the public on a 'Dance-O-Mat'.They have this aura of relaxed conviviality that invites people to participate. I read somewhere (British newspaper) that sending someone as "political" and "privileged" as Charles on a soft diplomatic tour was a disaster waiting to happen. I hope that particular very uncivil Civil Servant is squirming right about now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Papal audience lasted 30 minutes,the Prince and Duchess also toured the Vatican Library and the British School in Rome .

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/new...visit-the-holy

Getty Images

Prince Charles And Camilla Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
"My husband talks a lot"
Ah Cams you're the best !
Watching that video and looking at all the photos of the Papal visit it seemed a like HH was just as enthusiastic as Charles and Camilla moreover, the power of that little half hour was enough for Camilla to feel as relaxed and friendly to crack a joke, in public, to HH about her husband. That is quite a "connection" between them from that little half hour.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems to have been a lovely visit. They definitely were in good humor at the end

I definitely got a good laugh from Camilla

I don't get why people have problems with wearing black. I don't get it being perceived as insulting. It's tradition. Just like when you meet the queen you bow. Or when they meet middle Eastern royaks they choose modest clothes. Why is it okay Camilla wears a scarf in The Middle East but it's insulting to the future queen, that she wear a mantilla in Italy? It shows respect to the culture. They are visiting the head of state in his residence. Respect seems to be common sense.

It was a private event so I didn't expect black or a veil. The lightening of rules even in state visits I think we will see a change, no mantilla at least, in Protestant monarchs. But I do think the Catholics will likely continue.

Royals understand the importance of tradition. They exist for the very reason. No surprise they respect others traditions. But just as monarchies are modernizing, the pope is modernizing some traditions.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 AM
Aristocracy

I love that playful "My husband talks alot" line from Camilla. Charles is a lucky man.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 AM
Administrator

The second day in Rome and meetings with the President of Italy Sergio Mattarella and the Prime Minister of Italy Paolo Gentiloni were on the agenda:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Italy - Day 6 **

** dailymail: Benvenuto! Charles and Camilla are welcomed by the Italian Prime Minister in Rome as their bridge-building tour of Europe continues **
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Meting with the President and Prime Minister:

Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Majesty

Austrian Federal President Alexander Van der Bellen and his wife Doris Schmidauer welcome Prince Charles Prince of Wales, and his wife Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, on 5 April 2017, in Vienna, Austria.

http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...303&m=aiidaode
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...303&m=kpmhpebo
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...303&m=mfckjiph
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Lovelty how gentlemanlike the Italians greeted la Duchessa. All with a gentle handshake and a nod of the head. The ceremonials at the Vatican (Pope), the Palazzo del Quirinale (President) and the Palazzo Chigi (Prime Minister) were nice, colourful and well executed.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

An Austrian news channel is sending live from all the ewents:
oe24.TV - Österreich / www.oe24.at

Videos:

Arriving in Austria:
Prinz Charles und Camilla am Flughafen

Meeting with the the President of Austria Alexander Van der Bellen:
Prinz Charles und Camilla bei Van der Bellen

Meeting with the the Chancellor of Austria Christian Kern:
Prinz Charles und Camilla bei Christian Kern

Pictures:
Prince Charles Photos Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Austria - Day 1 - Zimbio
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I am really enjoying this tour. The photos are great. And there is something about this couple that I enjoy watching. I know younger couples may be more exciting to some but I like watching these two.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree! And I'm still amazed by the crowds and interest from people in Italy and the tv coverage in Austria.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think, for me, watching Charles and Camilla together no matter where they are, is so heartwarming to watch as you can just sense the closeness between these two people. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, soup and sandwich and steak and potatoes. There's a innate sense of really enjoying where they are and who they're are meeting and the public reacts to this.

Camilla really does bring out the best in Charles.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think, for me, watching Charles and Camilla together no matter where they are, is so heartwarming to watch as you can just sense the closeness between these two people. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, soup and sandwich and steak and potatoes. There's a innate sense of really enjoying where they are and who they're are meeting and the public reacts to this.

Camilla really does bring out the best in Charles.
I agree! But I also think that Charles bring out the best in himself.

I have seen many clips of Charles from both before and after the wedding in 2005, and he always takes the time to greet people, he goes on walkabout and he listens to them he meets.

He has more charisma and is more folksy than all the young royals in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain together (even Harry), and that despite the fact that he is 20/30 years older than them. And to those who disagree, check out the videos on Getty Images.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:07 AM
Majesty

"The Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet for her diplomatic visit to the Middle East because Prince Charles and his entourage had booked use of her official RAF plane for an overseas trip of their own, it has emerged."

Theresa May forced to charter plane because Prince Charles was using her £10 million RAF jet | The Independent

'Prince Charles aides have denied claims that the Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet to conduct Government business in the Middle East after he booked "her official plane" for a tour of Europe."

Royal aides hit back at claims Prince Charles 'bumped' Prime Minister off official plane | London Evening Standard
Old 04-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"The Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet for her diplomatic visit to the Middle East because Prince Charles and his entourage had booked use of her official RAF plane for an overseas trip of their own, it has emerged."

Theresa May forced to charter plane because Prince Charles was using her £10 million RAF jet | The Independent

'Prince Charles aides have denied claims that the Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet to conduct Government business in the Middle East after he booked "her official plane" for a tour of Europe."

Royal aides hit back at claims Prince Charles 'bumped' Prime Minister off official plane | London Evening Standard
The DM clearly attempting to stir up trouble.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Administrator

First pics of the final day of the couple's journey:

** gettyimages/zimbio: AUT: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Austria - Day 2 **
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Uppdated article:
Prince Charles and Camilla attend a state dinner in Vienna | Daily Mail Online

Prince Charles tells Holocaust survivors how his 'amazing' grandmother hid Jewish family during war
Quote:
The Prince of Wales has spoken movingly about the role his grandmother played in saving the lives of a Jewish family during the Second World War as he met Holocaust survivors in Austria.

Charles and Camilla spent the final day of their European tour in Vienna and met British and Austrian survivors of Nazi persecution when they toured the city's Jewish Museum.

The royal couple sat down with a group of elderly men and women who shared their harrowing stories with them.

During the Second World War, Princess Alice, the Duke of Edinburgh's mother and Charles's grandmother, sheltered a number of Jewish people when Greece was occupied.

Alice - who is buried in Israel - was recognised by Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial as a Righteous Among the Nations, and was posthumously awarded the British Government's Hero of the Holocaust medal.

The Prince told the group: "My father's mother took in a Jewish family during the war and hid them - she was amazing, my grandmother.

"She took them in during the Nazi occupation. She never told anybody, she didn't tell her family for many years.

"She's buried in Jerusalem. In September last year I went to the funeral of President (Shimon) Peres and finally got to see her grave."
Prince Charles and Camilla shown how strudel is made during tour of Vienna
Quote:
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall read a copy of a British newspaper when they arrived in Austria - through a gossamer thin sheet of pastry.

Charles and Camilla were shown the test used by pastry chefs making the perfect apple strudel during a behind-the scenes tour of Cafe Demel, one of Vienna's treasured coffee houses.

The royal couple are coming to the end of a nine-day tour of Europe and arrived in the Austrian capital from Rome.
This Austrian news channel is still sending live from all the ewents:
oe24.TV - Österreich / www.oe24.at
Old 04-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Majesty

"Duchess of Cornwall, stands next to the General Manager of the Spanish Riding School (Spanische Hofreitschule), Elisabeth Guertler, during a visit at the Spanish Riding School on 6 April 2017, in Vienna. "

Belga Image
Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The DM clearly attempting to stir up trouble.
The DM disgust me. The Waleses are doing so well, clearly generating goodwill and messaging that the UK may leave the EU, it is not leaving Europe. A succesful tour but no, immediately the focus is on poking a fire, to open the sewers, to get nasty comments...

:-(
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The DM disgust me. The Waleses are doing so well, clearly generating goodwill and messaging that the UK may leave the EU, it is not leaving Europe. A succesful tour but no, immediately the focus is on poking a fire, to open the sewers, to get nasty comments...

:-(
The reality is that the DM is only feeding the stupid people willing to believe this rubbish.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
iI don't get why people have problems with wearing black. I don't get it being perceived as insulting. It's tradition. Just like when you meet the queen you bow. Or when they meet middle Eastern royaks they choose modest clothes. Why is it okay Camilla wears a scarf in The Middle East but it's insulting to the future queen, that she wear a mantilla in Italy? It shows respect to the culture. They are visiting the head of state in his residence. Respect seems to be common sense.

It was a private event so I didn't expect black or a veil. The lightening of rules even in state visits I think we will see a change, no mantilla at least, in Protestant monarchs. But I do think the Catholics will likely continue.

Royals understand the importance of tradition. They exist for the very reason. No surprise they respect others traditions. But just as monarchies are modernizing, the pope is modernizing some traditions.
Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine wore black in their recent visit to the Pope and it wasn't an official visit. Madeleine also curtsied to the Pope.

Tags
austria, duchess of cornwall, italy, prince of wales, romania