Charles & Camilla: Visit to Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland - May 19-22, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would you want to visit the spot where a loved one was murdered? Why put yourself through that h***? I can see visiting a grave- not the murder scene.

Well, it must have been a very poignant day for Charles - but time is a great healer and the emotion of it may not have been so intense as one might think.

Once again, a royal visit to Ireland and it seems to have been such a great success and a joy to watch all the videos and see all the pics - thanks for posting everyone!

Charles and Camilla certainly seem to have had a enjoyable time and the welcome they received was as warm and friendly as I knew it would be!

He didn't physically visit the murder scene as that was out a sea but they did visit the village of Mullaghmore where his great uncle Lord Mountain used to holiday at the nearby Classiebawn Castle.Timothy Knatchbull and his wife Isabella were also there today.

The royal couple also paid a visit to Lissadell House,the childhood home of the 1916 Irish nationalist, suffragette and revolutionary Countess Markievicz.This evening the Prince and Duchess are at the Sligo Races.

Once again, a royal visit to Ireland and it seems to have been such a great success and a joy to watch all the videos and see all the pics - thanks for posting everyone!

Charles and Camilla certainly seem to have had a enjoyable time and the welcome they received was as warm and friendly as I knew it would be!

Yes Jack the visit has been highly successful and the couple got the crowds out despite the unseasonable cool weather.The Duchess in particular got lots of attention yesterday in Galway,one very excited local woman joked to reporters that she will never wash her hands again after shaking hands with the Duchess!

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9b43-942.jpg

http://cdn1.independent.ie/irish-news/news/article31237250.ece/1fab2/ALTERNATES/h342/camilla1.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/www.royals-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Warm-welcome-The-Duchess-of-Cornwall-arrives-at-the-Claddagh-National-School-in-Galway-Bay.jpg?resize=262%2C262

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

I think there should be more royal visits to Ireland! The woman who shook hands with Camilla may well have been joking, but I bet it'll be a few hours before she washes her hands again!

The castle I think they're having dinner in tonight Lough Cutra? I've stayed there. My cousin used to work there when I was in my teens.

Why would you want to visit the spot where a loved one was murdered? Why put yourself through that h***? I can see visiting a grave- not the murder scene.

As an ordinary person I agree but Charles isn't an ordinary person.

He is the heir to the throne and as such has to do what his government tells him to do and for the British and Irish governments this was something they wanted him to do so he had to do it. It was a symbolic moment of healing the divisions of Ireland and everyone who has followed Charles' life knows how close he was to Mountbatten so understands how much his loss meant to him so they governments understood how powerful would be the symbolism of Charles visiting this place.

The castle I think they're having dinner in tonight Lough Cutra? I've stayed there. My cousin used to work there when I was in my teens.

Lough Cutra Castle was last night I thought with the President and his wife?

Charles and Camilla were at Classiebawn Castle near Mullaghmore earlier this evening.

As an ordinary person I agree but Charles isn't an ordinary person.

He is the heir to the throne and as such has to do what his government tells him to do and for the British and Irish governments this was something they wanted him to do so he had to do it. It was a symbolic moment of healing the divisions of Ireland and everyone who has followed Charles' life knows how close he was to Mountbatten so understands how much his loss meant to him so they governments understood how powerful would be the symbolism of Charles visiting this place.

I agree that the visit was symbolic but it could also be that the Prince wanted to visit as a part of his healing process. Everyone deals with grief in different ways.

No government could have requested Tim Knatchbull be present yet he was with Prince Charles. If he weren't comfortable being there then I don't believe for one second that Charles would have asked him.

Likewise, Paul Maxwell's mother said she wouldn't have missed it and the visit back there has helped her.

It may seem strange but until we are in that situation we don't know how we would react.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree that the visit was symbolic but it could also be that the Prince wanted to visit as a part of his healing process. Everyone deals with grief in different ways.

No government could have requested Tim Knatchbull be present yet he was with Prince Charles. If he weren't comfortable being there then I don't believe for one second that Charles would have asked him.

Likewise, Paul Maxwell's mother said she wouldn't have missed it and the visit back there has helped her.

It may seem strange but until we are in that situation we don't know how we would react.

Very wise words I think. I don't believe that anyone would have been there unless they, themselves personally, wanted to be. Government or no government.

When people come together in peace and remember the hurts and tragedies on all sides, it reinforces not only the acceptance of the loss of lives but also forges a common bond between not only those that were directly affected on both sides but also promotes a bond between governments and countries to prevent such violence from happening again.

That one picture with Charles and Gerry grinning at each other and touching foreheads while holding tea really pulled at my heartstrings. That meeting was heartfelt and in no way just a staged photo-op.

Because sometimes it's necessary to feel the power of that place and realize that, while he was murdered, he also lived. And that moment, that space, serves as confirmation that the end of his life was tragic and life-breaking, but also worth remembering, if only because you don't want anyone to forget one iota of his life.

My grandfather was killed in the midst of the Cuban Revolution on a beautiful and very transited corner in Santiago de Cuba. And it was important for me, who never met him, to know the exact spot. It made my institutional (family) memory complete.

Many people visit Auschwitz and Dachau where their families were murdered. There is nothing special about Charles. On the other hand I think what he is doing is very smart.

Because sometimes it's necessary to feel the power of that place and realize that, while he was murdered, he also lived. And that moment, that space, serves as confirmation that the end of his life was tragic and life-breaking, but also worth remembering, if only because you don't want anyone to forget one iota of his life.

My grandfather was killed in the midst of the Cuban Revolution on a beautiful and very transited corner in Santiago de Cuba. And it was important for me, who never met him, to know the exact spot. It made my institutional (family) memory complete.

Precisely!

My father died at his own hand when I was four. I know where it happened and I've often thought of going there. I haven't so far, but I still might.

The thing that draws me to that place is that was there that he drew his last breath; where he ceased to live. That, for me, is the important place, not the place where his remains were placed because that which made him a person was never at that place. He ceased to exist where he died, so that is the place to which I feel a connection. Being there and imagining what he did and thought in those last moments would conjure up a connection to him. I feel no connection to the place where his mortal remains ended up. Indeed I don't even know where that is.

Last edited:
A gentle hug to you, Roslyn :flowers:

Thank you for that very kind thought. I hardly remember my father though, so my loss is intellectual rather than emotional, unlike Charles who lost a beloved relative. Clearly not everyone feels the need or even desire to have a physical connection with the place their relative died tragically, but some of us do. Knowing how close Charles was to Lord Mountbatten and how deeply he was affected by his death, it must have been very difficult for him. Though I think that being there with the community of Mullaghmore sharing their memories and their grief was probably also of some comfort to him.

He didn't physically visit the murder scene as that was out a sea but they did visit the village of Mullaghmore where his great uncle Lord Mountain used to holiday at the nearby Classiebawn Castle.Timothy Knatchbull and his wife Isabella were also there today.

The royal couple also paid a visit to Lissadell House,the childhood home of the 1916 Irish nationalist, suffragette and revolutionary Countess Markievicz.This evening the Prince and Duchess are at the Sligo Races.

Yes Jack the visit has been highly successful and the couple got the crowds out despite the unseasonable cool weather.The Duchess in particular got lots of attention yesterday in Galway,one very excited local woman joked to reporters that she will never wash her hands again after shaking hands with the Duchess!

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9b43-942.jpg

http://cdn1.independent.ie/irish-news/news/article31237250.ece/1fab2/ALTERNATES/h342/camilla1.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/www.royals-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Warm-welcome-The-Duchess-of-Cornwall-arrives-at-the-Claddagh-National-School-in-Galway-Bay.jpg?resize=262%2C262

In the third photo the woman yanked Camilla's arm and held her by the elbow.
IMO, Camilla looks likes she wants her protection officer to come free her.

Camilla is wearing her shamrock brooch.

A bit more about Camilla's day in Ireland.

Camilla is (literally) the toast of Galway with a cocktail christened The Duchess | Campus.ie

Oh my, it must be very hard for Charles... He is very good at hiding his emotions...

I think that sounds rather delicious. :) I'd like a large pitcher of that mix.

And as for Dingle gin, the name reminds me of a song I love. Half a century before a certain - now very, very, wealthy - English woman wrote a book about a number of shades of grey, an Arkansas-born country singer and songwriter, of whom I am very fond, and who I had the great pleasure of seeing perform live on two occasions, visited Ireland and wrote a song about 40 Shades of Green, which included a line about fishing boats at Dingle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj8-Ifl5UGc

I'd imagine that the owners of the Dingle distillery are very happy with this royal promotion:D

Video:
The Prince of Wales has visited a Catholic church in Belfast that has been at the centre of a series of bitter marching disputes involving Protestant loyal orders and loyalist bands. St Patrick's Church has witnessed disorder and discord in recent years, with some parading loyalist bandsmen accused of provocative and sectarian behaviour while passing the place of worship-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Prince of Wales has visited a Catholic church in Belfast that has been at the centre of a series of bitter marching disputes involving Protestant loyal orders and loyalist bands. St Patrick's Church has witnessed disorder and discord in recent years, with some parading loyalist bandsmen accused of provocative and sectarian behaviour while passing the place of worship-

Home - ITNSource News

:previous:

Prince Charles visits Catholic church in Belfast on mission of reconciliation - Telegraph

Prince Charles visiting Northern Ireland - RTÉ News

Videos:
Prince Charles has visited community leaders of the East Belfast Community Development Association-

Home - ITNSource News

Charles still using his late wife's technique when talking to children. I always like seeing him with kids.

The Duchess of Cornwall made a solo visit to the Skainos Centre, a cross-community project, in the east of the city of Belfast. After icing a cupcake during the visit, the duchess told guests that the real culinary skills lay with her celebrity chef son, Tom Parker Bowles-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Prince of Wales attended the official re-opening of one of Northern Ireland's most famous houses. During the final day of their visit the Prince and Duchess of Cornwall toured Mount Stewart, a National Trust property in Co Down, which has undergone an £8 million refurbishment. The house, on the shores of Strangford Lough is home to Lady Rose Loritzen, a distant cousin of the Duchess, whose family have lived there since the 18th Century. .

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Prince of Wales has said Northern Ireland should not be imprisoned by its history as he called for shared healing between the divided communities. Charles visited the country's oldest peace and reconciliation centre today at the conclusion of a trip which has been all about healing past wounds. The daughter of Lord Mountbatten has supported the Corrymeela Centre on the dramatic North Coast for years in its work with victims of violence on all sides-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=CHARLES AND CAMILLA VISITS THE CORRYMEELA CENTRE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom