The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Why would you want to visit the spot where a loved one was murdered? Why put yourself through that h***? I can see visiting a grave- not the murder scene.
Well, it must have been a very poignant day for Charles - but time is a great healer and the emotion of it may not have been so intense as one might think.

Once again, a royal visit to Ireland and it seems to have been such a great success and a joy to watch all the videos and see all the pics - thanks for posting everyone!

Charles and Camilla certainly seem to have had a enjoyable time and the welcome they received was as warm and friendly as I knew it would be!

Old 05-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

He didn't physically visit the murder scene as that was out a sea but they did visit the village of Mullaghmore where his great uncle Lord Mountain used to holiday at the nearby Classiebawn Castle.Timothy Knatchbull and his wife Isabella were also there today.

The royal couple also paid a visit to Lissadell House,the childhood home of the 1916 Irish nationalist, suffragette and revolutionary Countess Markievicz.This evening the Prince and Duchess are at the Sligo Races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

Once again, a royal visit to Ireland and it seems to have been such a great success and a joy to watch all the videos and see all the pics - thanks for posting everyone!

Charles and Camilla certainly seem to have had a enjoyable time and the welcome they received was as warm and friendly as I knew it would be!
Yes Jack the visit has been highly successful and the couple got the crowds out despite the unseasonable cool weather.The Duchess in particular got lots of attention yesterday in Galway,one very excited local woman joked to reporters that she will never wash her hands again after shaking hands with the Duchess!

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9b43-942.jpg

http://cdn1.independent.ie/irish-new...2/camilla1.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/www.royals-news.com...size=262%2C262

Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

I think there should be more royal visits to Ireland! The woman who shook hands with Camilla may well have been joking, but I bet it'll be a few hours before she washes her hands again!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The castle I think they're having dinner in tonight Lough Cutra? I've stayed there. My cousin used to work there when I was in my teens.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Why would you want to visit the spot where a loved one was murdered? Why put yourself through that h***? I can see visiting a grave- not the murder scene.
As an ordinary person I agree but Charles isn't an ordinary person.

He is the heir to the throne and as such has to do what his government tells him to do and for the British and Irish governments this was something they wanted him to do so he had to do it. It was a symbolic moment of healing the divisions of Ireland and everyone who has followed Charles' life knows how close he was to Mountbatten so understands how much his loss meant to him so they governments understood how powerful would be the symbolism of Charles visiting this place.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The castle I think they're having dinner in tonight Lough Cutra? I've stayed there. My cousin used to work there when I was in my teens.
Lough Cutra Castle was last night I thought with the President and his wife?

Charles and Camilla were at Classiebawn Castle near Mullaghmore earlier this evening.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As an ordinary person I agree but Charles isn't an ordinary person.

He is the heir to the throne and as such has to do what his government tells him to do and for the British and Irish governments this was something they wanted him to do so he had to do it. It was a symbolic moment of healing the divisions of Ireland and everyone who has followed Charles' life knows how close he was to Mountbatten so understands how much his loss meant to him so they governments understood how powerful would be the symbolism of Charles visiting this place.

I agree that the visit was symbolic but it could also be that the Prince wanted to visit as a part of his healing process. Everyone deals with grief in different ways.

No government could have requested Tim Knatchbull be present yet he was with Prince Charles. If he weren't comfortable being there then I don't believe for one second that Charles would have asked him.

Likewise, Paul Maxwell's mother said she wouldn't have missed it and the visit back there has helped her.

It may seem strange but until we are in that situation we don't know how we would react.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I agree that the visit was symbolic but it could also be that the Prince wanted to visit as a part of his healing process. Everyone deals with grief in different ways.

No government could have requested Tim Knatchbull be present yet he was with Prince Charles. If he weren't comfortable being there then I don't believe for one second that Charles would have asked him.

Likewise, Paul Maxwell's mother said she wouldn't have missed it and the visit back there has helped her.

It may seem strange but until we are in that situation we don't know how we would react.
Very wise words I think. I don't believe that anyone would have been there unless they, themselves personally, wanted to be. Government or no government.

When people come together in peace and remember the hurts and tragedies on all sides, it reinforces not only the acceptance of the loss of lives but also forges a common bond between not only those that were directly affected on both sides but also promotes a bond between governments and countries to prevent such violence from happening again.

That one picture with Charles and Gerry grinning at each other and touching foreheads while holding tea really pulled at my heartstrings. That meeting was heartfelt and in no way just a staged photo-op.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Because sometimes it's necessary to feel the power of that place and realize that, while he was murdered, he also lived. And that moment, that space, serves as confirmation that the end of his life was tragic and life-breaking, but also worth remembering, if only because you don't want anyone to forget one iota of his life.

My grandfather was killed in the midst of the Cuban Revolution on a beautiful and very transited corner in Santiago de Cuba. And it was important for me, who never met him, to know the exact spot. It made my institutional (family) memory complete.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Many people visit Auschwitz and Dachau where their families were murdered. There is nothing special about Charles. On the other hand I think what he is doing is very smart.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Because sometimes it's necessary to feel the power of that place and realize that, while he was murdered, he also lived. And that moment, that space, serves as confirmation that the end of his life was tragic and life-breaking, but also worth remembering, if only because you don't want anyone to forget one iota of his life.

My grandfather was killed in the midst of the Cuban Revolution on a beautiful and very transited corner in Santiago de Cuba. And it was important for me, who never met him, to know the exact spot. It made my institutional (family) memory complete.
Precisely!

My father died at his own hand when I was four. I know where it happened and I've often thought of going there. I haven't so far, but I still might.

The thing that draws me to that place is that was there that he drew his last breath; where he ceased to live. That, for me, is the important place, not the place where his remains were placed because that which made him a person was never at that place. He ceased to exist where he died, so that is the place to which I feel a connection. Being there and imagining what he did and thought in those last moments would conjure up a connection to him. I feel no connection to the place where his mortal remains ended up. Indeed I don't even know where that is.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Courtier

A gentle hug to you, Roslyn
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
A gentle hug to you, Roslyn
Thank you for that very kind thought. I hardly remember my father though, so my loss is intellectual rather than emotional, unlike Charles who lost a beloved relative. Clearly not everyone feels the need or even desire to have a physical connection with the place their relative died tragically, but some of us do. Knowing how close Charles was to Lord Mountbatten and how deeply he was affected by his death, it must have been very difficult for him. Though I think that being there with the community of Mullaghmore sharing their memories and their grief was probably also of some comfort to him.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
He didn't physically visit the murder scene as that was out a sea but they did visit the village of Mullaghmore where his great uncle Lord Mountain used to holiday at the nearby Classiebawn Castle.Timothy Knatchbull and his wife Isabella were also there today.

The royal couple also paid a visit to Lissadell House,the childhood home of the 1916 Irish nationalist, suffragette and revolutionary Countess Markievicz.This evening the Prince and Duchess are at the Sligo Races.

Yes Jack the visit has been highly successful and the couple got the crowds out despite the unseasonable cool weather.The Duchess in particular got lots of attention yesterday in Galway,one very excited local woman joked to reporters that she will never wash her hands again after shaking hands with the Duchess!

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9b43-942.jpg

http://cdn1.independent.ie/irish-new...2/camilla1.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/www.royals-news.com...size=262%2C262
In the third photo the woman yanked Camilla's arm and held her by the elbow.
IMO, Camilla looks likes she wants her protection officer to come free her.

Camilla is wearing her shamrock brooch.

A bit more about Camilla's day in Ireland.

Camilla is (literally) the toast of Galway with a cocktail christened The Duchess | Campus.ie
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Prince and Duchess visit the grave of poet W.B Yeats at St Columba's church in Drumcliffe.

Former President Mary McAleese and her husband were also present.

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9d38-942.jpg

http://img.rasset.ie/000a9d1a-942.jpg
Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh my, it must be very hard for Charles... He is very good at hiding his emotions...
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Recipe for the 'Duchess' Cocktail

http://cdn1.independent.ie/irish-new...a-cocktail.jpg
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I think that sounds rather delicious. I'd like a large pitcher of that mix.

And as for Dingle gin, the name reminds me of a song I love. Half a century before a certain - now very, very, wealthy - English woman wrote a book about a number of shades of grey, an Arkansas-born country singer and songwriter, of whom I am very fond, and who I had the great pleasure of seeing perform live on two occasions, visited Ireland and wrote a song about 40 Shades of Green, which included a line about fishing boats at Dingle:
Old 05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd imagine that the owners of the Dingle distillery are very happy with this royal promotion
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Prince of Wales has visited a Catholic church in Belfast that has been at the centre of a series of bitter marching disputes involving Protestant loyal orders and loyalist bands. St Patrick's Church has witnessed disorder and discord in recent years, with some parading loyalist bandsmen accused of provocative and sectarian behaviour while passing the place of worship-

Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS