The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for sending this interesting article Skydragon!
I´ve never visited Pakistan, like you did Little Star, but i think, it´s a big difference, if you are travelling the country for holidays or as The Heir to the British Throne on a official visit. And i also do believe that there are living fantastic people (like in every country), but the political situation is very explosive and the neighbourhood to India is strained for a long time.
Terrorism need targets, and offical guests like the royal couple are very much in danger. That´s a fact, i think.

When Camilla and Charles visited India last year, the question wheather the people would like Camilla was the same one.
And the visit was very successful, the people did like her because of her own personality...maybe they didn´t expect a second Diana...
I think the same will happen in Pakistan.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Nobility

Too be honest I don't think anybody expects a second Diana people know they are two different women.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Courtier

I hope the trip will get good press like the last one and we will get nice pictures again.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hmm, Charles and Camilla seem to be focusing on the Middle East.

First the trip to Egypt and India and now the trip to Pakistan. They seem to have an affinity for the area.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

First the trip to Egypt and India and now the trip to Pakistan. They seem to have an affinity for the area.
Hm, maybe the reason for that is that Royal visits to these regions with a rather unhealthy climate (politically and/or because of the weather) are due and the BRF decided it's too much for the queen in her advanced age.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with Jo.
I think, another reason for the visit to Pakistan is, that Charles wants to do a job as a mediator.The political situation between India and Pakistan is very explosive, and we know that Charles likes this region of the world very much. So maybe he wants to help starting a time of approach and peace.

Last year when the couple visited India, i read, that it was always his wish to show Camilla some parts of the country he loves so much.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:

This is nice and all but, I got to thinking of this after reading the thread in Royal Chit Chat about which country might become a republic. They really need to start visting the realms. I know Charles went to Australia and New Zealand right before he got married and he was in Canada a few years ago, but I think he and Camilla need to start getting people in those areas used to the idea of having him as King/Princess (or Queen whatever) or else he is going to lose them.

Map for the British Royals
Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
This is nice and all but, I got to thinking of this after reading the thread in Royal Chit Chat about which country might become a republic.
Pakistan has been The Islamic Republic of Pakistan since 1947.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Courtier

What I was trying to say that instead of spending so much time in other countries, (or at the same time) they should start visting the other 15 countries he is going be King of.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

On their official visits abraod, the Prince and the Duchess are working together with the British Foreign Secretary. They decided together, with the advice of the Prime Minister, where the are travelling, and what kind of talks they will have.
Their visits are poltical and social missions for the UK, it´s not only a question about where Charles will be king one day, or where they like to go.( But i think, Pakistan is near to their hearts )
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
What I was trying to say that instead of spending so much time in other countries, (or at the same time) they should start visting the other 15 countries he is going be King of.
My apologies, I misunderstood your post.

I understand that the advisors to the royal family, try to work it that the person that gets invited goes. Most of these visits are by invitation of the host nation, or as milla Ca says, the government, only a few are at the instigation of the person concerned.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Alright then Harper is getting another letter (PM of Canada) from me Actually thinking of that Harper is a strong monarchist so I'm surprised there hasn't been an invitation yet.

I promise I won't derail the thread anymore, but I am not saying he should just go to the realms but after three foreign visits and a year and a half of marriage they should be going to at least one of them. I have said this often and I know that some people may disagree with me but keeping the realms is going to be one of King Charles biggest challenges.

......and with that I hope they have a productive trip to Pakistan and I am going to be curoius to see if they will also visit Afgainistan.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I am going to be curoius to see if they will also visit Afgainistan.
I hope not, the extra strain it would put on the coalition troops would be immense! If they do decide to 'pop over' the border, very few people will know about it beforehand.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Royal Highness

Pakistan to hang Briton during royal visit
http://www.todayonline.com/articles/149354.asp

Pakistan is due to hang a British national on November 1, coinciding with a planned visit by Britain´s Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, officials said.

Blair pledge over execution case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6061334.stm

Prince Charles urged to cancel Pakistan trip.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles appeals for clemency for death row Briton

LONDON - Britain’s Prince Charles has appealed for clemency for a British man due to be hanged in Pakistan on November 1 for killing a taxi driver, the Times said on Thursday.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...ction=theworld

Prince's Mercy Plea For Death Row Brit

Prince Charles has appealed for clemency for a British man on death row in Pakistan. The Prince has written to Pakistan's Prime Minister about Mirza Tahir Hussain, who is due to be hanged during Charles' upcoming visit to the country. Hussain, 36, has spent 10 years awaiting execution for the murder of a taxi driver.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19102006/14...-row-brit.html
Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmm, its a difficult one.

The sovereign law of the country in question needs to be respected yet on the other hand he is a Brit.

Its not unlike (although the conviction's are different) the story of the Australian man who hanged in a Singaporean jail for drug trafficking, which as most would know warrant's a death sentence in some parts of Asia (respectively). Unfortunately for Mr Nguyen, the Goveror General and federal governments attempts to gain clemency remained fruitless and he was executed by hanging on 2nd December, 2005.

Mr Nguyen's mother wrote personally to HM the Queen and it was of course responded that the Queen could not act without the backing of her parliament which of course was not given as it was an entirely Australian issue. This certainly brought into light for many that Her Australian Majesty's role as our head of state was only one of symbolism and nothing more. But, no backlash came about which was good to see.

Being apposed to capital punishment, I hope this man lives.

This isn't a politically motivated post I would like to add
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Royal Highness

Death row man´s execution delayed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6065720.stm

´I´m grateful to His Royal Highness for showing in my plight and I am also grateful to Prime Minister Blair for his continued representation´- Mirza Tahir Hussain
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
Death row man´s execution delayed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6065720.stm

´I´m grateful to His Royal Highness for showing in my plight and I am also grateful to Prime Minister Blair for his continued representation´- Mirza Tahir Hussain
Thanks for posting the link, milla Ca
I am glad that the question got at least temporarily solution. Prince Charles was right to make the plea but I don't know what the future of this poor man will be and for how long will the agony of his family continue.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles Backs Briton on Death Row in Pakistan

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aNDlmGZ6XeR0
Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

clarifications

I'd like to clarify a couple of points if you guys dont mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

Pakistan is not in the Middle East. It is a South Asian nation (part of the Indian sub-continent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Pakistan has been The Islamic Republic of Pakistan since 1947.
Actually Pakistan did not start out as an Islamic Republic. Muhammad Ali Jinnah, endearingly referred to as "Father of the Nation" envisioned a seperate state for Indian Muslims but one essentially based on secular principles. Unfortunately Jinnah's successors did not carry on his work.
Pakistan was proclaimed an Islamic Republic in 1956. The military has, from the beginning, played the religious card to maintain hold on the country, despite the fact that most Pakistanis vote for secular parties and dont like conservative, so-called religious laws.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, pakistan, prince charles, prince of wales