The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Serene Highness

A speech by the Prince of Wales at Glencairn, the British Ambassador's residence in Ireland, as the royal tour concludes
https://www.facebook.com/majestymaga...83984491634215

Old 05-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Unfortunately for the press, Charles and Camilla are doing such a great job that there's nothing to complain about them. They don't put a foot wrong. Camilla isn't gin soaked nor is she upstaging Charles. This is a couple that is actually happy to be with each other and are pictured smiling and laughing at each other and thoroughly enjoying themselves. Camilla is a succerss with the people and is warm and down to earth. Charles is the most relaxed, I think, I've ever seen him.

I loved the pictures and I do have to admit that each time I see President Higgins, I just want to hug the guy to death. He's so cute!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM
Courtier

The Royals do mini tours all the time. For the middle generation for the most part none of them make the news unless they are seriously long flight and representing the Queen.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Osipi;I loved the pictures and I do have to admit that each time I see President Higgins, I just want to hug the guy to death. He's so cute![/QUOTE]

Former collage (Galway) lecturer, well loved there also! :-)

There is a great affinity between these two Islands, not least because many of us have family members on both sides.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
The Royals do mini tours all the time. For the middle generation for the most part none of them make the news unless they are seriously long flight and representing the Queen.
This visit was not just a "mini-tour", but rather part of the so-called "Brexit charm offense", which includes visits of senior British royals to several EU countries. However, as mentioned by other posters, Charles and Camilla are not as mediatic as William and Kate.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wonder how successful a tour is when there is virtually no coverage of said tour. The British media hardly run any stories on it at all - look at this site. This is the 20th entry for a four day tour.

That says it all really - no interest at all - even amongst royal watchers. Sad but true - the heir to the British throne doesn't rate any coverage in the media or on royal discussion boards.
Charles and Camilla, like Anne, Edward and Sophie, Andrew, the Queen and Prince Philip (and Richard, Birgitte, Alexandra and Edward Kent) just get on with it. They perform their duties regularly and without fanfare. They are not young and do not Court the media. It's unfortunate but, in this day and age, celebrity and style count over substance. That does not change the impact their visits have on those whom they meet or those charities and organisations they support.

I would also venture that it does not lessen the impact a visit may have on government. While there may not have been much press coverage of Charles and Camilla's visit to Ireland, there would have plenty of behind the scenes activity between the British and Irish governments. Yearly visits of the heir to the throne to Britain's nearest neighbour signify that Britain wants to strengthen its relationship with Ireland.

Growing up in the UK during the 1970's and 80's I remember bomb threats, I remember the tensions and hatred. That I can now see the Prince of Wales sharing a joke with Gerry Adams speaks volumes to me. Not everything can be measured by newspaper coverage.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sadly media coverage is the most important as that means people outside the government see what is happening. PR is the most important thing that royals have and without media coverage then the PR isn't there.

Most people don't read the CC and so don't realise what other royals do besides William, Kate and Harry. I keep reading that Anne is the hardest working royal - as she was in the 1990s and early-mid 2000s but for most of the last decade Charles has been but due to lack of coverage that fact hasn't reached the general population.

The fact that most of the media didn't see it as worthwhile to cover the tour extensively shows how little importance they - and the government - really put on this tour. Had the government really thought it was important they would have asked the press to ensure that there was decent coverage (they can't insist but they can ask).

I remember the coverage of the tour of Italy and Austria earlier this year - that gained a lot more coverage - which speaks volumes for how important this tour actually was in the overall scheme of things. It was less important to the media that the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and Kate's half-day visit to Luxembourg - which had more articles for that then Charles and Camilla had for a four day tour.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Media cares nothing about political importance or value

They care about selling papers and clicks online. Unfortunately royals in tiaras at a gala in Norway or Kate making an appearance draws more attention.

There seems to be decent coverage of the trip. Just you have to look for it. Unfortunately unless Charles got drunk and caused a scandal, it's not going to be front page news.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles tries his hand at hurling in Kilkenny
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0511/874207-royal/
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
This visit was not just a "mini-tour", but rather part of the so-called "Brexit charm offense", which includes visits of senior British royals to several EU countries. However, as mentioned by other posters, Charles and Camilla are not as mediatic as William and Kate.
This is part of the Brexit charm offense, as any visit to a Brexit nation will be for quite a while, but this is also a trip Charles and Camilla now take very year at this time. This is the third year in a row for them to have an Irish tour in May and they've made it clear they intend for that to be a regular part of their calendar. The media are interested in what's new, and this trip simply isn't.

But these two do make a point of visiting different counties on each trip, and their appearance surely feels new to each community they visit for the first time. I imagine they capture local attention in a stronger and more widespread way than national press coverage captures or reflects. In a nation as geographically and historically close/intertwined with the UK, that grassroots level diplomacy is every bit as important as larger scale efforts that shoot for media-saturation.

I suspect The Firm has a pretty firm understanding of what sort of attention various members of the family get in various places, and they strategically map out assignments with that in mind.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Court Circular 12th May:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today undertook engagements in Dublin, Ireland.

Their Royal Highnesses this morning visited Glasnevin Cemetery and participated in Acts of Remembrance at the Cross of Sacrifice and the Necrology Wall, Glasnevin.

The Prince of Wales afterwards visited the National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin.

His Royal Highness later called upon the Taoiseach, Upper Merrion Street.

The Prince of Wales this afternoon visited Our Lady's Hospice, Harold's Cross.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards attended a Reception given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Ireland (His Excellency Mr. Robin Barnett) at Glencairn.

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, Lower Leeson Street.

Her Royal Highness this afternoon visited Airfield Estate, Dundrum.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall later arrived at Royal Air Force Brize Norton from Ireland.

Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood, Mrs. Sophia Densham and Mrs. Laura Sullivan were in attendance.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Courtier

Ask the people who were at all the events Charles and Camilla attended and who (from the footage we've seen) enjoyed it very much.

"Coverage" means nothing! So you didn't see it on telly ..... does not mean it was not a great success where it took place! Media isn't everything ..... unless you are a media celeb of course!!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Media is everything these days. Without coverage these visits are PR failures and the entire point is good PR - that means not just the local people but also the British people who are supposed to be the beneficiaries - and Charles and Camilla's visit to Ireland didn't get that coverage.

As a world event it was total failure.

Britain is fighting for its future outside Europe and the BRF are supposed to be part of the 'soft diplomacy' to sell that and that can only happen with a good deal of media coverage otherwise they have failed to achieve anything of any note.

If these sorts of tours aren't garnering international coverage then they are failures given their purported purpose - to sell Britain to the wider world and to the rest of Europe post-Brexit.

William and Kate's tours will garner that worldwide coverage but Charles and Camilla don't and for the next king and his wife that is a poor outlook.

Why are they sending William and Kate to Germany and Poland - simple - they will get the worldwide coverage Britain needs. They can send Charles and Camilla anywhere and they get virtually no coverage except very locally but they send William and especially Kate and they get the massive coverage that is wanted and needed.