The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
For I doubt they are simply more charitable than the esteemed members of this forum?
What a condescending way to address people who are taking part in a debate!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
I realise that this is a contentious and sensitive topic, but that's no excuse to resort to insults about other members or to indulge in bashing, speculation, or mean-spirited comparisons where the royals are concerned. We're going to have to start deleting posts if this level of unpleasantness keeps up.

Elspeth
British Royals moderator
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 277
Have we had any details of the programme yet? I wonder who they will be meeting on this trip?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
I don´t think this topic should be contentious. I sincerely hope that Camilla is not ill and that if it is bad PR this will be fixed.
I absolutely agree that tours can be gruelling but then again they come with the "job" that is the tragedy, someone marrying into the BRF is expected to not only be a wife and mother but to take on royal responsibilities. It not just a case of a woman marrying a man because she is in love with him, it entails much much more. I think this is another reason for anyone even contemplating this step should think very carefully to see if they are up to it.
Actually I haven´t seen the itinerary and I would like to, if anyone has it.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
This looks bad. I think she needs to attend every single function she possibly can.

A trip to Japan is high-profile and deserves her full presence. It may be a tougher trip but the high-profile trips need to take priority and a greater effort needs to be made than normal.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, will visit Japan for five days beginning Oct 27, the Japanese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

Prince Charles, Camilla to visit Japan Oct 27-31 › Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

That's as much as has been released, to date.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Thanks Sky, I am especially looking forward to photographs of the Japanese visit and to see what she is going to wear, especially jewellery....
If the very generous Sultan of Brunei gives her some little memento I would like to see that too.....
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
If a reference to the climate is not "health related", then I wonder what it is. In fact, have we seen her going on holiday to a region with a hot climate ever since her surgery? I know she was in Egypt, India, the Caribbean but that were official trips. Holidays, anyone? I only recall Scotland since which is rarely hot, though could be humid...
And if this isn't an official trip, then what is it?

You said yourself her official duties have seen her visit, Egypt, India and the Carribean, since undergoing her procedure. And as we all know, all three mentioned can be very warm or humid places..the Carribean was said to be especially humid during their time there. Was it necessarily comfortable for those who went? No, but that's to be expected when your agenda is to visit those countries. There's no surprise here.

I fail to see the relevance of Scotland, as we are not talking of private holidays.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:34 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
I just read that she's skipping the trip to Indonesia but not Japan. That's a little better but on the world stage, it might look that the Brits see Indonesia as 'less important' which is not exactly the sentiment you want to convey when staging an important visit.

Right now, I simply hope that she doesn't have serious health problems that BP doesn't want to disclose but I fear that may be the case.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Right now, I simply hope that she doesn't have serious health problems that BP doesn't want to disclose but I fear that may be the case.
That would indeed be the last thing anyone (well anyone with a heart) would wan't. I sincerely hope that isn't that case, either. Id rather be a tad temporarily "miffed" with the reasons that were given, than learn that the Duchess is suffering from poor health.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I just read that she's skipping the trip to Indonesia but not Japan. That's a little better but on the world stage, it might look that the Brits see Indonesia as 'less important' which is not exactly the sentiment you want to convey when staging an important visit.
The reasons will have been given to the Indonesian authorities and so far, it would appear that they are perfectly happy with them. From what has been published about the trip, Camilla would just be a spectator anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Actually Ysbel that is what I have been thinking, they might have thought that the "too tiring" excuse was a good one to cover up another more serious one. All we can do is hope that this is not so as I think that many people have come to like Camilla.
I was already warming to her but when I saw her laughing with Prince Charles at the Highland Games(?) I really thought they made a wonderful couple.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,665
Tss tss what a fuss foR nothing, as usual.....

-The DOC will not undertake the complete tour. So what?. It's the POW the britain representative. She's only the wife of this representative. Her presence is expected but not obligatory. (Carla "Jackie O" Sarkozy was not with her Little Big man for the last G8 summit in Japan. Who cares?)

-"If Diana was...blah blah blah". The never ending discussion, and of course a total nonsense. No comment.(Only one thing perhaps:during royal tours i prefere an always beaming Duchess (Caribean 2008) than a "Where's the camera OMG look at me i'm so sad" Princess (Korea 1992). Personnal taste of course.

-"She's lazy". Frankly for a 61 years old woman, royal for only 3 years, she's doing a very decent job and and the number of her engagements is far to be shameful. If i remember well the number of engagements of a 19 years old Princess of Wales 3 years after the wedding was not spectacular. (Of course if you compare with the Princess Royal, but she's hyperactive isn't she?).

-"The costs". Well next time TRH will stay at home. But of course at home they will be considered as lazy. Royals do royal things. Royal things are not cheap. It's not a discovery. (And republican things (the french ones for exemple) are often far more expensive).

-The "carbon footprint". Of course TRH would prefere to go to Japan on a Duchy original labeled raft. Find me a plane 100% eco-friendly? (I wonder how was the carbon footprint of Air Force one during the Mr Bush 's farewell europen tour some months agao).
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
And if this isn't an official trip, then what is it?

You said yourself her official duties have seen her visit, Egypt, India and the Carribean, since undergoing her procedure. And as we all know, all three mentioned can be very warm or humid places..the Carribean was said to be especially humid during their time there. Was it necessarily comfortable for those who went? No, but that's to be expected when your agenda is to visit those countries. There's no surprise here.

I fail to see the relevance of Scotland, as we are not talking of private holidays.
Ah, Première Fille de France, I think you misunderstood me. My point was that although Camilla did undertake a couple of trips to a hotter climate-zone, she did not make any private trip as far as I know to a place with a hot and humid climate. She went to a cruise to Greece, but then the climate on the sea in Greece is quite healthy: dry, sunny and with enough wind coming in from the sea to cool you. Other than that, she holidayed "at home".

I always wondered if they decided on renting the "Leander" for the trip to Jamaica because Camilla had felt comfortable on this boat. It's not the luxuries such a yacht supplies to make you feel comfortable but the way the climatronic can be controlled, I found. Sometimes the smaller, less luxurious yacht is more comfortable because climatronic and the way the air reaches certain places on the boat and leaves other out of the wind are working perfectly together. That's why some people buy their yacht from specialized builders while others are only interested if the "Laura Ashley"-outfit of the cabins "are the real stuff".

And no, I have no information about Camilla's health, only the cues I take out of reading articles and a bit of experience with "female" medical issues.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Ah, Première Fille de France, I think you misunderstood me. My point was that although Camilla did undertake a couple of trips to a hotter climate-zone, she did not make any private trip as far as I know to a place with a hot and humid climate. She went to a cruise to Greece, but then the climate on the sea in Greece is quite healthy: dry, sunny and with enough wind coming in from the sea to cool you. Other than that, she holidayed "at home".
Nein, meine liebe dame.

I understood you quite well, I assure you. Though the private vacationing interests of the Duchess were not what was being discussed as far as I was aware.

Quote:
and a bit of experience with "female" medical issues
Funny that. Me too..
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
We seem to get very patronising posts here. When I learned how to debate, good schools do have debating teams usually, we were taught to give a balanced argument and to be ready to argue exactly the opposite if asked. We were told never to get insulting but to think about things in a rational way and not to get emotionally involved.
I am not for Camilla or against her. The subject being debated is whether she was justified in giving a lame excuse for not accompanying her husband on a visit or not.
No one knows if she is ill or not, if she is then she has a legitimate reason for cutting short the journey. Whether the very lovely Carla Sarkhozy goes with her husband or not has absolutely nothing to do with this subject. We are not talking about private holidays at whatever clime, we are talking about an official visit that seemingly is going to be cut short because of the heat.
In my opinion it is just bad PR. If it is for health reasons I think that Camilla should say so and stay home.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
If it is for health reasons I think that Camilla should say so and stay home.
But with this sentence you say a lot of things: first you don't think that Camilla's inclusion in these trips have any kind of value. Otherwise you would be glad she could at least make part of the trip.

Plus you are of the opinion you have a right to be informed about anything. But why? Why is the "heat" not enough, why must they say anything more to the public? I guess it is undisputed that such an argument would not be enough to convince HM and the government - it surely is too "lame". So I am convinced that HM knows more about this and agreed on Camilla going only for part of the trip.

And Madame Royale, my argument about private holidays was to emphasize the fact that Camilla really has a problem with "heat" and does try to cope with it on her official trips as good as she can. If this "heat"- problem, whatever it is in reality, was just a "lame excuse", her enjoying these climates in her private time surely would count as a contra-argument. As she doesn't, this fact should work in her favour.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,383
Why is there an assumption that she needs to be by Charles' sides during the entire trip? Is the focus the same for all countries they will visit? This is not an official state visit. Besides it is really irrelevants why she is going back home before P. Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post

And Madame Royale, my argument about private holidays was to emphasize the fact that Camilla really has a problem with "heat" and does try to cope with it on her official trips as good as she can. If this "heat"- problem, whatever it is in reality, was just a "lame excuse", her enjoying these climates in her private time surely would count as a contra-argument. As she doesn't, this fact should work in her favour.
If it were of private interest and recreation, then I'd not be phased. But it isn't and sometimes we must do things we don't necessarily wish to do for whatever reasons we may have. Completing an official visit being one of those 'things', I'd have thought.

Though, no one would (well I wouldn't) wish the Duchess to be in extreme discomfort if it were infact a medical condition (?) stopping her from continuing alongside her husband.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...[snipped]
-The "carbon footprint". Of course TRH would prefere to go to Japan on a Duchy original labeled raft. Find me a plane 100% eco-friendly? (I wonder how was the carbon footprint of Air Force one during the Mr Bush 's farewell europen tour some months agao).
I fail to see the relevance of mentioning President Bush in this thread. He is neither Mr.Gore nor Prince Charles, who are eco-fanatics obsessed with carbon footprints and other green stuff. Why to make unfavourable remarks for no good reason? Given the fact that Prince Charles is keen on eco-friendly/organic stuff and promotes it in every possible way, naturally people will question carbon-footprint related to his trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
We seem to get very patronising posts here. When I learned how to debate, good schools do have debating teams usually, we were taught to give a balanced argument and to be ready to argue exactly the opposite if asked. We were told never to get insulting but to think about things in a rational way and not to get emotionally involved.
I am not for Camilla or against her. The subject being debated is whether she was justified in giving a lame excuse for not accompanying her husband on a visit or not.
... [snipped]
Your observations are very insightful.
__________________

__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State Visit from the President of Indonesia: October 31-November 2, 2012 dazzling British Royals 101 11-03-2012 08:07 PM
Charles and Camilla Visit to Brunei: October-November 2008 milla Ca Royal Family of Brunei 9 11-01-2008 05:24 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece infanta elena style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel 2015 nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince philip princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess tatiana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima gowns queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stockholm succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises