Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Italy & Germany - April 26-30, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for these photos. The expression on the faces together with Pope Benedikt seem to me so touching.

Her Royal Highness's outfit is OK, its the right colour for a start, but her dress is a bit short and the veil isn't very nice!

Last edited:
Galleries Mediumphoto
MediumPhoto
MediumPhoto

Gallery Ibl
Gallery Ibl 2

More pics from Today. Slow Food Reception, Villa Wolkonsky (British Ambassador's Residence), Rome 27/04/2009
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/editorial/all/coverage/931295.html?page=1

My favourite pic!
Britain's Prince Charles is seen near the house of ancient Roman emperor Augusto, as the Colosseum in seen in the background, Rome, Monday, April 27, 2009.
Daylife

Did Camilla curtsey to His Holiness?
I wonder why she should courtsey to the Pope.

A comparision btw Diana and Camilla from the D..Mail is like turkey at Christmas: it's a tradition:

Camilla follows in Diana's footsteps 24 years on as she joins Charles for an audience with the Pope | Mail Online

+ Also traditionally the DM managed to get something wrong. According to the Sun's press photographer, Arthur Edwards, who was actually presented to the Pope as well (see article above) Camilla was not presented to the Pope separately but they were both presented together & after they had talked to the Pope for 15 minuttes the Prince then had an hour's discussion with the Pope's Secretary of State, whilst Camilla had a tour of the Vatican (which Diana certainly didn't get). The fact that the Sun newspaper of all papers got it factually correct and the DM didn't shows just what a rubbishy paper the DM now is!!!

Nice outfit for Her Royal Highness, but her dress is a bit short!

I think the dress is lovely, especially the black rectangular brocading effect & the close up photo of Camilla as she arrived smiling & looking to her right is fantastic.

I don't get the need to unnecessarily compare Camilla to Diana--I suppose they are only looking to sell some papers--I detest sensationalism!!

On another note, Camilla looked lovely in that black dress with the lace veil and deco brooch. I also like how she was presented with her husband rather than after. It shows, at least to me, that she is highly regarded by the Prince as a helpmate and partner.

Her Royal Highness's outfit is OK, its the right colour for a start, but her dress is a bit short and the veil isn't very nice!

The dress looks shorter in some views but actually it is below the knee. I think the material seems to wrinkle easily and get bunched up (the skirt). When smoothed out it looked nice. The veil was lacy and old fashioned--liked it.

I find this very surprising given the Church's stance on divorce. But Camilla looked very nice.

Confindustria President Emma Marcegaglia greets Britain's Prince Charles at Confindustria (Confederation of Italian Industry), employers union, headquarters in Rome on April 28, 2009.
Daylife
Daylife
http://www.mediumphoto.com.pl/index.php?function=news/shownews/15321

Duchess of Cornwall, during her visit to the Keats-Shelley Museum in Rome, Italy, on 28 April 2009.
ANP
ANP

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales arrive in Venice, April 28, 2009.
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=86175971

I find this very surprising given the Church's stance on divorce. But Camilla looked very nice.
Indeed, Ruby P! The RCC's stance on divorce and adultery, one would think, would make the visit at the very least, awkward. I am actually somewhat surprised that the Pope was willing to meet with Charles and Camilla. Especially as CHarles wants to be 'defender of faith'...one would infer he includes Catholics in that group. Quite an example to the people.

Indeed, Ruby P! The RCC's stance on divorce and adultery, one would think, would make the visit at the very least, awkward. I am actually somewhat surprised that the Pope was willing to meet with Charles and Camilla. Especially as CHarles wants to be 'defender of faith'...one would infer he includes Catholics in that group. Quite an example to the people.

The RC church recognises divorce, it's called 'annulment' cancel the marriage as though it never happened. The 2 most famous royal catholic divorcees have had annulments, Princess Caroline of Monaco ( from her marriage to Philippe Junot) and Princess Michael of Kent ( from Tom Troubridge) The RC church also doesn't have a problem with a civil marriage that ends in divorce ( Letizia Ortiz) since that marriage wasn't considered a 'real' marriage Letizia was able to get married in a catholic church as though she had never been married before.

Why would the meeting be awkward or the Pope not willing to meet Charles and Camilla? One of the most important tenets of the catholic church is forgiveness, the sacrament of Reconciliation is where catholics are given a clean slate from whatever sins they may have committed. There is no condemnation of sinners forever, and using a Gospel story here. Mary Magdalene who was being condemned for adultery, Jesus was the one who said, 'let he is is without sin cast the first stone'. The Pope was merely living the example of Jesus. If the Pope were to ostracise those people he considered sinners then he wouldn't be living his faith.

Charles wanting to be a 'defender of faiths' isn't a problem either as christian churches come together in eucumenical celebrations.

Good comment. I would just add that in all Christian religions-forgiveness is an important tenet.
Sorry if off topic

Why would the meeting be awkward or the Pope not willing to meet Charles and Camilla? One of the most important tenets of the catholic church is forgiveness, the sacrament of Reconciliation is where catholics are given a clean slate from whatever sins they may have committed. There is no condemnation of sinners forever, and using a Gospel story here. Mary Magdalene who was being condemned for adultery, Jesus was the one who said, 'let he is is without sin cast the first stone'. The Pope was merely living the example of Jesus. If the Pope were to ostracise those people he considered sinners then he wouldn't be living his faith.

Charles wanting to be a 'defender of faiths' isn't a problem either as christian churches come together in eucumenical celebrations.[/quote]

I don't think religion has anything to do with it. The Pope couldn't refuse to meet them, they're representatives of the Queen and the British people, a snub to them is a snub to the UK. Added to which, they'll one day be King and Queen of quite a few British Catholics and so it's in the Pope's best interests to form a relationship with them. Then again, would the UK really miss the Vatican State if it didn't exist?

The only way I would see the visit "akward" would be if it was the same Pope that met with Charles and Diana.
But this is a different Pope.

Courtesy of milla Ca
A less windswept Camilla in Berlin: pic
With the President of Germany: pic
With another member of the clergy; denomination unknown but apparently unjudgemental: pic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom