Charles and Camilla: Visit to India (Commonwealth Games) - October 2-5, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
The Prince of Wales - TRH to attend the opening of the Commonwealth Games in India

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will undertake an official visit to India from 2nd to 5th October 2010.

Earlier this year Her Majesty The Queen asked The Prince of Wales to represent her at the Opening of the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. In addition, Their Royal Highnesses will spend time with athletes from a broad cross-section of Commonwealth countries.

The visit has started:

Prince Charles has attended a Trade and Investment Promotion event during
a visit at the British High Commission and together with the Duchess of
Cornwall he has met with Indian President Prathiba Patil at the Presidental
Palace in New Delhi today, October 2, 2010.

** gettyimages gallery ** belga gallery **

Thanks for the photos!
The visits seems to be going well. Prince Charles appears to be a great conversationalist.

Prince Charles compromises to end row over who will open the Games | Mail Online

Clarence House and the Indian government have patched together a compromise following a dispute over the opening of the Commonwealth Games.

It is understood that following intense negotiations it was agreed that both the Prince and the President will officially open the Games together.

Charles will read a message from the Queen during which he will declare the Games open but President Patil will have the last word, saying: ‘Let the Games begin.’

I don't see why Prince Charles cannot say "Let The Games Begin", has the Queen said it at all the other games?

Charles & Camilla in India

Prince of Wales arrives in India for the Commonwealth Games | Mail Online

Clarence House has played down reports of a row over who will preside over the opening ceremony, saying the prince and India's president Pratibha Patil will both play an important part. A spokeswoman said: 'Both the Prince of Wales and the president of India will have a prominent role in the opening ceremony in Delhi. 'The Queen has asked the Prince of Wales to represent her at the opening of the Commonwealth Games. We cannot be specific about the choreography but the prince will read out the Queen's baton message, ending by declaring the Games open.'

During the visit Charles and Camilla will also attend events in the Punjab and Rajasthan states in the north of India.

The Duchess of Cornwall is already in India and spent the last few days at an exclusive health centre near Bangalore with family and friends.

The Earl of Wessex, who is vice-patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation, will also attend the opening ceremony and arrived today with the prince by plane from the UK.

I don't see why Prince Charles cannot say "Let The Games Begin", has the Queen said it at all the other games?

At the KL games the King of Malaysia actually did that - Edward read the Queen's speech and the King said 'Let the Games Begin'.

At the KL games the King of Malaysia actually did that - Edward read the Queen's speech and the King said 'Let the Games Begin'.

So did the Queen not attend the Malaysian Commonwealth Games? Much is being made of the fact that this is the first time in 44 years that the Queen isn't attending the games.

So did the Queen not attend the Malaysian Commonwealth Games? Much is being made of the fact that this is the first time in 44 years that the Queen isn't attending the games.

She did attend but she wasn't there for the opening but arrived a day or so later.

The President of India will be the most senior person present, as the head of state. As a result of this, the organisers would like President Patil to declare the games open.

The President of India will be the most senior person present, as the head of state. As a result of this, the organisers would like President Patil to declare the games open.

But Charles was the one who actually said "I declare the 19th Commonwealth games open".

The President said 'Let the games begin"

But Charles was the one who actually said "I declare the 19th Commonwealth games open".

The President said 'Let the games begin"

Sure, and that was a compromise position reached after negotiatons between the two sides.

Video: Duchess of Cornwall makes her first Skype call - Telegraph

Duchess of Cornwall makes her first Skype call

The Duchess of Cornwall has learnt how to Skype today during a visit to a school in the heart of the Punjab.

On the third day of the Duchess and the Prince of Wales’s tour of India, the Duchess was given the lesson in live internet video chatting by pupils at St Stephen’s School in Chandigarh.

After putting on a set of headphones, she spoke to children at the Park View school in Haringey, north London, which is twinned with St Stephen’s.

Tejas Gupta, the 16-year-old school captain who set up the laptop for the Duchess, said: “The Duchess seemed very down to earth.”
Later some of the girls at the school dressed in brightly-coloured saris performed a Sammi dance, a gypsy dance from the Punjab, after which she admired the children’s silver necklaces.
During the trip she wore a garland made of marigolds and roses which was presented to her by two schoolchildren when she arrive

It's nice that Charles is with his younger brother, no Sophie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, and that was a compromise position reached after negotiatons between the two sides.

What is interesting is that they simply followed the precedent set in 1998 so why there was any issue I don't understand. The Queen is the Head of the Commonwealth, Charles isn't. When Edward did this job 12 years ago the local Head of State said 'Let the Games Begin' so why would anyone expect the local Head of State to be involved this time.

In Melbourne the Queen was present, for the first day or so and she said everything (the controversy then was that the local organising committee refused to have the entire singing of God Save the Queen - so they sang the first half of the first verse and then went into Happy Birthday (it was 2006 and she was about to turn 80).

With increasingly more and more countries of the Commonwealth not having the Queen has Head of State and even one country not having been part of the British Empire, this situation will arise again.

When's the last time we saw them together outside the UK? New Zealand in 1983? It would have been interesting to be a "fly on the wall" during the flight.:)

It's nice that Charles is with his younger brother, no Sophie?

Duchess of Cornwall impersonates Mary Poppins - Telegraph

The Duchess of Cornwall impersonated Mary Poppins to impress a group of toddlers.

The Duchess picked up her silk and lace parasol and, holding it above her head, joked that she might ''take off'' when she met British High Commission staff and their children in Delhi.

Prince Charles has someone fold his seat down for him - Telegraph

Prince Charles has been accused in the past of being too grand to squeeze his own toothpaste, pick up his own clothes or even hold his own specimen bottle.

And now it seems that folding down his own seat can be added to the list of everyday chores the Prince of Wales need never worry about.

If indeed Prince Charles is so grand and needs to be waited on hand and foot how do he and Camilla who is sooo down to earth ever get along ?
I understand they visited the Maharaja of Patiala.[nice] and Chandigarh www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandigarh . This is a fascinating city. I hope the DOC availed herself of the beautifully embroidered shawls of the region.My best wishes are with them for a continued success on their trip to the Commonwealth Games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know which other places In India will Charles and Camilla tour

Prince Charles has someone fold his seat down for him - Telegraph

Prince Charles has been accused in the past of being too grand to squeeze his own toothpaste, pick up his own clothes or even hold his own specimen bottle.

And now it seems that folding down his own seat can be added to the list of everyday chores the Prince of Wales need never worry about.

I hate to spoil a good story that the Telegraph is cooking up, but this is quite normal in India, when a guest or somebody older is around.

Muriel, I agree. Actually, if people have manners, this is practiced all over the world. It does not look to me that Charles had anything to do with it; it was spontaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom