The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Zimbio gallery - Day 3
The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Canada - Day 3 - Pictures - Zimbio

Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Nobility

The opinion of this Canadian is that we as a nation are outgrowing the British Monarchy. No one cares that Charles is visiting and I live the Prairies which is full of royalists.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

About the fur issue. I have noticed that the Queen, Queen Margarethe, and Crown Princess Mary all wear real fur and no one makes a peep. But it's different with Camilla.

The only thing I can think of is that a different rule applies to Camilla than the other three.

I think she looks very nice for her events, although I wasn't too keen on the blue velvet hat with the ensnared flower. The PoW looks like he's not having a bad time, either.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you iowabella on the fur issue. Plus, its not a new item and it was used in an appropriate environment, freezing wet Canada.

I think the Duchess always looks appropriate and I have a soft spot for odd hats. I just wish Camilla would get her clothes fitted. I think it would make a world of difference and make her look quite smashing rather than just elegantly appropriate.

As for the Canadian response, I'm quite surprised by the almost hostile press. My experience of Canadians is that they are a very friendly, kind, and calm people. I'm not seeing that in the media. Charles isn't forcing himself upon the Canadians, and from what I can see, only praises them immensely. He is just doing his job as the future King of Canada and until Canada changes into a republic, he will continue to do so. I personally do think a republic is inevitable and would be the right step, but not for a fair while. Until then, just enjoy the monarchy.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Nobility

Camilla looks great and always cheerful.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Some articles and videos :

CBC News - Canada - Royal couple wrap N.L. visit

CBC News - Toronto - Royals begin Ontario tour
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't believe from reading the many, many articles from Canada, that you are alone in your view. Yes some of the media seem unable to focus on anything other than removing a British head of state, (with which I agree), but others are genuinly interested in the work Charles has/is doing.
Trust me I'd love to come across more people who are interested in Charles' work maybe it's just the people I know, go figure. But the Canadian media seem to have been pretty kind to the royal couple so far, well atleast from what I've seen but I've been mostly watching tv. Maybe this seems really exciting to me cause this is the first time he has visited Vancouver that I've been old enough to enjoy his visit. The last time he came with William and Harry I believe was it 1998? I was far to young to remember or care about it. Slightly going off topic I'm going down to VanDusen Botanical Gardens to see Camilla on Saturday, just incase I get a chance to greet her any idea what type of flowers she prefers?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

First of all, I am no fan of Camilla's, but she looks nice and has every right to wear what she wants. The PETA people have gone too far. They have no right to tell people what they can wear, each can make their choice. I am sure there are PETA people who do some awful other things. Also, I have many Canadians friends who seeCharles and Camilla as surpurflus. They just don't find this monarchy relavent in their lives. Just some foreign entity. I, believe, after the present Queen dies, they will become a republic.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Gentry

I went into Toronto and had two great encounters with the Duchess of Cornwall and one with the Prince of Wales. There were about 40-50 people at the Royal Conservatory of Music to see Camilla and she was warm and engaging to everyone and shook hands in the crowd and accepted flowers. I was then able to meet them both outside the Carlu a couple of hours later. The crowd was quite big -- and the majority of the people seemed under 30... so I think that blows the "people don't care" theory out of the water. Camilla recognized me from earlier in the day. "Hello. Oh, hello AGAIN!"
Old 11-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Serene Highness

That is nice to hear that she remembered seeing you earlier in the day. I admire the way Camilla has taken on a new "job" in middle age, without making major missteps. I'm pretty bad with both faces and names, and I probably wouldn't recognize someone I'd met a few hours before, if I'd seen a number of people in between. Or if I did it would be ten seconds too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
First of all, I am no fan of Camilla's, but she looks nice and has every right to wear what she wants. The PETA people have gone too far. They have no right to tell people what they can wear, each can make their choice. I am sure there are PETA people who do some awful other things. Also, I have many Canadians friends who seeCharles and Camilla as surpurflus. They just don't find this monarchy relavent in their lives. Just some foreign entity. I, believe, after the present Queen dies, they will become a republic.
I think Camilla usually looks just fine. I wouldn't go out hunting rabbits myself, but I don't have a problem with the rabbit stole. PETA, on the other hand...

Canadians might not see the monarchy as relevant, but I doubt we're going to become a republic anytime soon. Tom Clark and Paul Wells touched on that in the CTV link I posted earlier. To make Canada a republic would require changes to the constitution, and changing the constitution is complicated and messy, so why bother when people are more apathetic than actually opposed to the monarchy? I thought Paul Wells said it best when he said, "Britain will probably decide it for us." Tom Clark: "How so?" Paul Wells: "At some point they'll decide to get rid of the monarchy, and the decision will be made for us."
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm guessing this is you then mentioned in the article, bweir.
Charles and Camilla make the rounds in Toronto - thestar.com

Some more news:
The Press Association: Children make royal visitors laugh
The Canadian Press: Charles and Camilla land in Toronto on Cdn visit; 3 days of events planned
The Press Association: Royal couple visit 'New Canadians'

I managed to watch some coverage on the television today and it was far more positive than in some of the papers. Plus they asked some of they people on the street what they thought and most were mildly interested.

O and ghost night, Camilla's wedding bouquet was lily of the valley and primrose so you might go with those, but I do think the Duchess would appreciate any sort of flowers really. :)
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I'm guessing this is you then mentioned in the article, bweir.
Charles and Camilla make the rounds in Toronto - thestar.com

Haha. No, but she was two or three people away from me at the Royal Conservatory and gave HRH a bouquet.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

O and ghost night, Camilla's wedding bouquet was lily of the valley and primrose so you might go with those, but I do think the Duchess would appreciate any sort of flowers really. :)
Thanks for the help I'll try to get some of those
Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

haha, o bummer. It would have been quite neat if one of our very own forumer..royalee...forumroyalist...TRFer, what exactly do we call ourselves, made it in the press.

No probs ghost. We will all be waiting to hear how your encounter with royalty goes. Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Gentry

Here are some photos I managed to grab during today's events. Click on the photo below for a full gallery. :)

Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
haha, o bummer. It would have been quite neat if one of our very own forumer..royalee...forumroyalist...TRFer, what exactly do we call ourselves, made it in the press.

No probs ghost. We will all be waiting to hear how your encounter with royalty goes. Good Luck!
Thanks I'm super excited!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very nice photos, bweir. Thanks for posting them.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal Regiment of Canada and the Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's Own) will receive new Colours from His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, the Colonel-in-Chief of both Regiments during a ceremony at Varsity Stadium on 5 November beginning at 5 p.m.

Media Advisory: Prince of Wales to Present New Colours to Local Army Regiments | Benzinga.com

Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, have begun a three-day visit to Ontario after touching down in Toronto.
On Wednesday afternoon their plane landed at Pearson airport, where they were greeted by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.

CTV British Columbia- Royal couple begins trip through Toronto - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

A seven-year-old boy whose father was killed in Afghanistan reached up to the Duchess of Cornwall, put his arms around her neck and kissed her at a ceremony Wednesday to remember Newfoundland and Labrador's war dead. Camilla was delighted by the spontaneous show of affection from Matthew Lucas, whose father, Sgt. Donald Lucas of St. John's, was among six Canadian soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on April 8, 2007.

Camilla embraced, kissed by boy, 7, whose soldier father killed in Afghanistan - Yahoo! Canada News
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
I went into Toronto and had two great encounters with the Duchess of Cornwall and one with the Prince of Wales. There were about 40-50 people at the Royal Conservatory of Music to see Camilla and she was warm and engaging to everyone and shook hands in the crowd and accepted flowers. I was then able to meet them both outside the Carlu a couple of hours later. The crowd was quite big -- and the majority of the people seemed under 30... so I think that blows the "people don't care" theory out of the water. Camilla recognized me from earlier in the day. "Hello. Oh, hello AGAIN!"
Did you get to shake hands and talk to her? Just out of curiosity, what did you say to her (when/if you met her)?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How lucky you were, bweir. The photo was very good!

Tags
camilla, canada, charles, visit, visit to canada