The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, I am quite happy with the media's report of the protesting. Because I think both Anglo and Franco Canadians will mostly be disgusted with the behavior. He is the future king(whether one agrees with it or not) at a event where the military is the main focus. People will see that as being disrespectful to the nations forces.
I think the palace is testing waters for when the Queen comes to Canada next year and to see how much time, if at all, she should spend in Quebec.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Courtier

I had a conversation with my friends tonight about Charles and Camilla's visit to Canada. I didn't bring it up...we were talking about whether we were going to go tomorrow to the Remembrance Day ceremony at Ottawa's War Memorial. They told me to get there early because there are usually thousands of people, and the crowds might be bigger "because Charles and Camilla will be there." So, they were very aware of Charles and Camilla's visit, but my friends mostly work for the government, so that's not surprising. Then one of my friends, who grew up in Vancouver, mentioned that Charles had been in Vancouver but "no one cared." At this point I decided to bring up the fact that I followed British royalty. (They thought that was hilarious...what can I say...royalty-watching isn't a popular pastime here! ). I asked them whether they thought Canadians were interested in Charles' visit and royalty in general. The unanimous response: if the Queen were visiting, they would be interested. If it were William or Harry, they'd also be interested...but not Charles and Camilla.

One of my friends said she had lost respect for Charles because of his personal life (she didn't mention Diana, she just said his 'personal life') and now she wasn't interested in anything he did. They also felt Charles and Camilla were old and uninteresting, but they felt sorry for Charles because he had to live a lifetime of duty but wouldn't become king until he was old. They thought the crown should bypass Charles and go to William; in fact, one of my friends seemed to think Charles and William had already agreed on this.

Oh, another tidbit...they all knew Kate Middleton's name, and they said they'd heard William was marrying her. I explained that was just a rumour.
One of my friends was in Britain this past summer (she actually went to Royal Ascot) and said that everyone she'd talked to supported the monarchy. My friends said they didn't want to get rid of the monarchy either, but that it really didn't affect them either way.

I just thought I'd describe their opinions here because there have been some conversations in this thread about what Canadians think of Charles and Camilla's visit/the monarchy, so this was my informal fact-finding mission.

If I am close enough at the Remembrance Day ceremony tomorrow, I will post any pictures I manage to take of Charles and Camilla. I have to say though, I endured enough good-natured teasing over this that I'm not going to make myself look any more conspicuous by getting there ridiculously early just for the chance of a few close-up photographs.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its apathy, its expected. I don't think anyone cares enough to get rid of the monarchy or to be crazy about it. But that's just because there are no big royal events going on right now and Canada is a peaceful, well to do country that doesn't need to focus on the monarchy.
Plus, one of the earlier articles said that Canadians will probably never get rid of the monarchy. They would just wait till Britain did it for them. I think it was a politican who said that and obviously he doesn't understand how his government works. The Crown of Canada is seperate, if the UK were to become a republic, QEII would still be Queen of Canada.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Ever hear the saying, Greenbean, "If it bleeds, it leads"? Seems to be the case with the protesters in Quebec.

I had hoped there wouldn't be any trouble in La Belle Province; but it was just too good an opportunity for some folks to miss, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
So it is unfortunate that the media just glazed over that and focused on the protesters at the Blackwatch armory. And chose to only put the picture of that bloodied protester with the article. I guess that is the media though...
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and there's a winery in Nova Scotia, too...and that's more northerly than Ontario's "Fruit Basket".

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathshire View Post
I am Canadian, and there has never been talks about becoming a republic. We have more important issues to deal with.

It is big news more at a local level (in the cities they are visiting) I am from Calgary, and they aren't coming here, so there has been no coverage, that I have seen.

I gather you have never been in Canada?? We a lots in both Ontario & BC.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

What really irks me is when Canadian broadcasters refer to our Queen as the "Queen of England" or "The British Queen." Or when British publications refer to a Royal visit here as "flying the flag for Britain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Its apathy, its expected. I don't think anyone cares enough to get rid of the monarchy or to be crazy about it.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

This was an interesting "report", rmay286. It seems fairly consistent with what I hear.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Its apathy, its expected. I don't think anyone cares enough to get rid of the monarchy or to be crazy about it. But that's just because there are no big royal events going on right now and Canada is a peaceful, well to do country that doesn't need to focus on the monarchy.
I don't think even younger Canadians are completely apathetic, actually. I was almost expecting my friends to say, "why do we even still have a monarchy?" or "why are we making such a big fuss over a foreign prince?" but they didn't. My one friend kept saying, "Prince Charles is going to be at the Remembrance Day ceremony!" as though it were a significant event. And right away everyone said, "If it were the Queen, we would turn out and see her." They really respect the Queen, I don't think they're apathetic about her. Charles and Camilla, on the other hand, aren't a big hit, but that could change when Charles is king.

Quote:
The Crown of Canada is seperate, if the UK were to become a republic, QEII would still be Queen of Canada.
Really? I didn't know that.

By the way, I grew up in Canada's fruit basket. It doesn't just have wineries, it has wineries every few miles. Nova Scotia's winery is news to me, though.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Well since I'm part of the younger generation of Canadians (I'm 18) I'll weigh in on this. None of my friends care for the monarch but they don't want to abolish it either they just don't care either way. My parents don't care much either they'd rather have their monarch back ( We're Greek my parents are still bitter over us not having a King) I though ended up differently which I honestly still to this day don't understand how that happened. I watched Concert for Diana and from that day on I was hooked. Now I'll be quite honest when I first began to learn info about our monarch I didn't fancy Charles or Camilla (for obvious reasons) but as time went on I started to see who they truly were and didn't dwell on the past. I really don't know if people who are against Charles and Camilla particularly are against them because of what happened in the past or they are against them because they think they're boring and not relevant.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It seems the Crown is responsible for "cultural genocide" within French-speaking Quebec. Or something.
This group is very unhappy and has taken to the streets about their culture's imminent demise at the hands of the Crown (with bloodied sword no less) --> Genocide culturel
I don't understand the "RIP" in the banner. Are they claiming the French language and Quebec culture are about to be snuffed out?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Anti-monarchy protesters tried to disrupt a visit by Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall to Quebec on Tuesday, as they continued their 11-day tour of Canada.
Prince Charles was scheduled to participate in a ceremony at a Montreal regiment, to present new colours to the officers

BBC NEWS | Americas | Quebec protests at Prince's visit

Anti-monarchy protesters yesterday hijacked the Prince of Wales' Canadian tour and clashed with riot police in a night of violence.
An extreme group of Quebec nationalists staged a sit-in street protest last night after fighting broke out with officers sent to clear them away.
One man was left bleeding from the head and another was dragged from the crowd and arrested in the worst violence seen during a royal protest in many years.

Charles and Camilla's Canadian tour marred by bloody anti-monarchist riot | Mail Online

I couldn't care less as to whether they demonstrate or not, but the should be hung for pelting the armed forces personnel and according to Canadian papers, ordinary people there to welcome Charles and Camilla.

Across Canada and around the world, people were attending remembrance ceremonies Wednesday to remember those who have fallen serving in their armed forces. The day marks the anniversary of the end of hostilities in the First World War, which ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.

CBC News - Canada - Canadians gather to honour those who died while serving

On this solemn day when the nation pauses to remember its fallen, the Prince of Wales will spend a few special hours with the families of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
Arriving at the base this afternoon for a two-visit, Prince Charles, accompanied by Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will meet in private with bereaved families who have lost a loved one in Afghanistan.

Excitement growing - The Daily Observer - Ontario, CA
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Remembrance Services are know going on. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall received a round of applause on arrival. Both the Prince and Governer-General are in uniform. Which is interesting, as the GG has not worn a uniform in a very long time but I do think its appropriate. This GG has done a good job of putting the focus on the military. The Duchess is wearing her Maple Leaf brooch again. Its a sunny gorgeous day for this sombre event.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

I think the last Governor General to wear a uniform on any occasion was Ray Hnatyshyn (somewhere I saw a picture of him as GG wearing a CF Air Command uniform). Mme Jean also wore a naval uniform when she presented the Queen's Colour to Maritime Command and when she visited Afghanistan.

It's also interesting to see that the Prince was given military rank in Canada.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Beautiful articles, it's horrible what those men did to interrupt a service of remembrance just to protest. Charles looked rather handsome in that outfit, he is a perfect ambassador for the monarchy.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

"Cultural genocide"? I don't think that they know their history. Note #133 in this excerpt from the British North America Act.
</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; CHARSET=utf-8"/> <link rel="schema.dc" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" /> <link rel="schema.dcterms" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" /> <meta name="dc.title" content="Department of

I hardly think that Quebec culture and language are about to be snuffed out. Quebec law is distinct from the rest of Canada and is more like French law. They also have their own pension system, which is separate from the Canada Pension.

New Brunswick is officially bilingual and about 50% French-speaking. It's hard to get a government job if a person doesn't speak French, unless a person lives in a highly Anglo area.

I respect my French-speaking compatriots, except for these extremists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It seems the Crown is responsible for "cultural genocide" within French-speaking Quebec. Or something.
This group is very unhappy and has taken to the streets about their culture's imminent demise at the hands of the Crown (with bloodied sword no less) --> Genocide culturel
I don't understand the "RIP" in the banner. Are they claiming the French language and Quebec culture are about to be snuffed out?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Gentry

I watched the ceremony from Ottawa this morning and was very impressed. The one thing that surprised me is that once the ceremony had begun, the tv commentator, CBC's Peter Mansbridge, said that they would be silent. That's very different then the "talking heads" we have in the States.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Updated Gallery: Charles and Camilla in Canada

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, tour Canada Nov. 2-12

Updated Gallery: Charles and Camilla in Canada
Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Serene Highness

Have you said videos ?

And because we are in Quebec and Clarence House is always politicaly correct, we have the choice today :

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
Official Canada tour, day 9

Le Prince de Galles et la Duchesse de Cornouailles
Visite officielle au Canada, jour 9

Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Canadians are gathering for Remembrance Day ceremonies at sites across the country today, while soldiers overseas in Afghanistan have already paid tribute to Canada's veterans with a ceremony in Kandahar.

CTV News | Canadians honour veterans on Remembrance Day
Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Zimbio Gallery - Day 10
The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Canada - Day 10 - Pictures - Zimbio

Tags
camilla, canada, charles, visit, visit to canada