Charles & Camilla: Tour of Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea - November 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice comment:

Prince Charles' passions are refreshing rather than eccentric, writes David Penberthy | adelaidenow

From the article:
"For all the barbs that Charles has sustained since his divorce from Diana, her death, and his marriage to Camilla, I would argue that the perception of the man should be revisited, and that his passions are not so much eccentric as refreshing. Setting aside the constitutional absurdity of it all, it troubles me not that our next head of state could be someone who thinks that gardening is good for the mind and soul, that the weight of scientific evidence points to global warming, and that rather than bombing each other back to the Stone Age, maybe the major religions could experiment with mutual respect and understanding."

And another nice find. Caption of a pic at the Sydney Morning Herald:

His Royal Highness, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Windsor, Camilla Parker-Bowles arrive at Sydney Airport. Photo: Wolter Peeters

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cel...oyal-couple-20121108-291c5.html#ixzz2BdLKbQNB

Not sure if they meant to get it right that the "Duchess of Windsor" was no "HRH"... LOL!

Last edited:
Day 4 - It seemed Charles loved his trip to the sheep farm and the polar research station. Nice to see him having a great time!

And Camilla looked to enjoy the chat up she had at lunch with the ladies. :)

Probably that's why the PoW's standard was not on the main flagpole, as it is no Australian prince but "just" a relative of the Head of State.
An Australian Governor-General or an Australian State Governor outrank the Prince of Wales when performing their official roles. They are the Queen's representatives, appointed by her* to carry out the Sovereign's duties in accordance with the Commonwealth and State constitutions. Hence the G-G and the six State Governors are termed 'vice-regal'.

* acting on the advice of the Prime Minister or State Premier of course.

A few years ago when the Princess Royal was in Melbourne her standard flew from the tower at Government House. The Governor was still in residence so someone at Government House got things wrong. Last year when the Queen was in Melbourne for only three hours, and at Government House for about an hour, her Australian Royal Standard flew from the flagpole at the gate (where the Prince of Wales standard was flying for the past few days), while the Australian flag flew from the tower. That was a bit odd I thought, but maybe things are a bit more flexible for short visits, rather than being "in residence".

Camilla becomes a colonel in chief

THE Duchess of Cornwall has been appointed the inaugural Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police in a parade at Sydney's Victoria Barracks.
Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Royal suit in the making? I'll drink to that!

A BEER in a country pub, a spot of sheep shearing - without the requirement to actually wield the blades - and a long ramble among throngs of well-wishers in a Tasmanian village …
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cel...ink-to-that-20121108-290t0.html#ixzz2BguExsm8

Last edited:
Nice comment:

Prince Charles' passions are refreshing rather than eccentric, writes David Penberthy | adelaidenow

From the article:
"For all the barbs that Charles has sustained since his divorce from Diana, her death, and his marriage to Camilla, I would argue that the perception of the man should be revisited, and that his passions are not so much eccentric as refreshing. Setting aside the constitutional absurdity of it all, it troubles me not that our next head of state could be someone who thinks that gardening is good for the mind and soul, that the weight of scientific evidence points to global warming, and that rather than bombing each other back to the Stone Age, maybe the major religions could experiment with mutual respect and understanding."

And another nice find. Caption of a pic at the Sydney Morning Herald:

His Royal Highness, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Windsor, Camilla Parker-Bowles arrive at Sydney Airport. Photo: Wolter Peeters

Read more: Grey Sydney skies greet royal couple

Not sure if they meant to get it right that the "Duchess of Windsor" was no "HRH"... LOL!

What a nice article, very refreshing to read

It makes me very happy to see how warmly Camilla is being received here. I wish I could have been in the crowds myself, but there is plenty of coverage of the events to enjoy vicariously.

Congrats to Her Royal Highness on her new role as Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police. TRH's are doing a fine job on representing Her Majesty on the Diamond Jubilee Tour.

During her speech the Duchess hinted that she would quite like one of the fetching berets, and it looks like she got one.

7521941.bin

7521933.bin

One chap was a bit overcome by the humidity

man_down_400_189p1b3-189p1b8.jpg

Hi Everyone following Charles' and Camilla's current trip around Oz.

I was held up at the traffic lights getting home with my groceries this morning, (Saturday here in Sydney), as they left Admiralty House in Kirribilli - about 10.15am.

There are only a few streets in and out of Kirribilli as it is surrounded by the Harbour on all but one side.

We just missed the lights and had to pull up, and then realised the other streets, (each of the four directions at this intersection go one at a time), were also not moving.

I knew Charles and Camilla spent last night at Admiralty House, (I'll add a few details below about Royals at this residence), and said to my husband C and C must be leaving.

A few minutes later a motor-cycle policeman - in best dress uniform with lights flashing and siren going - came towards us. Other vehicles had the green light in that direction and so weren't in the way.

Then another cycle officer came through and he directed cars away from the round-about further up the street, and was joined by another motor-cycle officer keeping this clear.

Then everyone building up in the other streets that were stopped, realised what was going on, and we were ready when another six or so cycles came through with the Royal procession - all flashing lights and sirens.

C and C's car had the Royal Standard flying on the front and I peered in but could only see figures, as the windows were so darkly tinted. A police car in front, other vehicles and flash dark van and more cars behind - all going at a fast clip - swung up around towards the Sydney Harbour Bridge heading for the airport and on to their visit to Canberra.

Everyone waiting for the lights to change - in vehicles and on the footpath - cheered and tooted - very lively.

(Held up for 10 to 15 minutes by the time it was all over.)

Admiralty House has been used by quite a few Royals now.

Crown Prince Frederick and Crown Princess Mary stayed there with their twins last November.

Andrew and Sarah, Duke and Duchess of York, stayed there in the early days of their marriage.

HM The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh stayed there a few years ago. I used to walk for exercise in this street, and a fire-engine with two fire officers were parked across the, (narrow), street from Admiralty House in the drive-way of the Reserve Bank of Australia building during her entire visit - just in case I guess.

The most action was when the U.S. President George Bush senior was there - for days ahead frogmen in rubber duckies swooped up and down the water in front and helicopters kept a noisy vigil above. (Not as many helicopters as when Nicole Kidman married Keith Urban - I counted thirteen for that and could tell when she left her home and where she was on the roads on her way to Manly from their progress in the sky.)

Our Government House - in the Botanical Gardens near the Opera House - was "given back to the people" a few years ago so I think that is why Royals now stay at Admiralty House.

(Prince Charles stayed at Government House with Diana many years ago when you could only enter by invitation - as the NSW Governor lived there at the time.)

Now you can go in the garden any time, or get a free ticket and have a guided tour of the house - all the gold leaf was restored a few years back and it's full of Australiana like carved emu eggs etc.

I used to spend a lot of time sitting in the old style cane chairs on the terrace at the back on hot weekend days when I took a walk across to the Gardens. ("Used to" - before I broke my ankle - still recovering - so intend to do this again on future walks when I'm back on my feet.)

CP Mary and CP Frederick have been photographed there on a few of their visits - around the fountain there and over-looking the Opera House.

I think that is why Admiralty House is used now, as Government House is so open.

Lots of positive media coverage for both C and C - everyone noticing how relaxed Charles is and warmly welcoming Camilla.

Camilla looked a bit tired the other day - lots of hot days - but a southerly buster came through last night - after our freak lightning storm of the afternoon - I got it here in Kiribilli and Charles got it out at Bondi - and it hasn't stopped - still blowing a gale and very cold, (refreshing though), now.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Hi Again, - I've just read through this thread and have good news for those concerned with Australia's reputation for wanting to become a republic.

Charles made the front page of the "Australian" today - this is our very "serious" newspaper - full of politics and such.

The republicans are saying they "overreached" in targetting Prince Charles and Camilla "personally", and mocking monarchists for being "behind the times."

The Australian author Tom Keneally - a republican - now says Camilla is "absolutely charming" - after having the chance to meet her.

Also, Mr Keneally was quoted as saying that if "the republican debate ever becomes visible again, it will be a much calmer one than the debate we had last time".

Another republican, Bob Carr, our current Minister for Foreign Affairs, is also quoted saying "I think Charles's succession to the throne will probably lead to a surge of additional fervour and attachment. I think the republican job will continue to be hard in Australia".

There was an interesting article in the same paper about the recent American Presidential election saying that as higher educated "knowledge" workers have become progressively more left, the rest of the people have become progressively more right.

I think this is true is Australia too - the media is dominated by people who think Australia should have it's own head of state and become a republic, but these are just the minority who have had this loud voice. The majority of people are more conservative. As they've seen the Global Financial Meltdown they just want to keep the things they see as being on "their" side - like the Royals - as opposed to becoming a republic, and having some polititian's mate made our Head of State.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Thanks, Sun Lion for this charming report. I had to laugh of your account of Pres. Geo. Sr.'s stay and all the helicopters. We in the US do love to rattle our sabers in the sky. Bush Sr. has a summer home in Maine close to some friends of mine. It was always amusing to watch the helicopters hovering, to-ing and fro-ing when the family was in residence. And when the president uses a chopper to fly out of the White House (or wherever) and we are on HIGH ALERT, there is always a dummy helicopter as well as the one with the Pres in it. That way, the bad guys have to guess which to shoot first.

I also want to thank Sun Lion for the great report. It's so wonderful to see that people in Australia welcomed Charles and Camilla and are now willing to see Camilla with open minds and eyes for the wonderful woman she is. You made my day! The other content of the report was entertaining and informative as well ... thanks again ...

Thank you Sun Lion for your reports. Camilla has gone quietly about her business, learning the ropes of a tricky job, supporting her husband and taking up causes close to her heart. She seems to take everything in her stride - even making speeches. But if things had been different she would have been doing that anyway - to the local branch of the WI! ;)

Her impact on Charles later life, how relaxed and happy he is can only be for the good. I have really grown to like and respect her.

Hi AdmirerUS and maryr0249 -

- I've seen a lot of support for Camilla from quite a few U.S. forum posters which suprised me.

I didn't know she had such a high profile there. (Considering the admiration storm of the Diana years.)

Nice to know it's not just the "locals" who are taking an interest in Charles and Camilla, and that the older generation aren't being brushed aside by the celebrity of the younger set.

(In fact, yesterday's paper also quoted a survey where Charles is now preferred to William to follow the Queen - which is how it should and will be. Quite a discussion about Camilla's role if Charles should become incapacitated during his reign etc.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Hi cepe.

Yes I think Camilla, just by being who she is, has won over a lot a people - and it is very obvious the happier and more at ease is the Charles we now have, compared to earlier years when, although he was always warmly welcomed, he was over-shadowd by Diana and he definitely now comes across as more settled about his role and just enjoying it.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I think Camilla is doing a fine job as Charles's Consort. There's no doubt Charles is very happy and proud of his wife as well. I would like to think Diana is smiling down on Charles & Camilla.

Hi cepe.

Yes I think Camilla, just by being who she is, has won over a lot a people - and it is very obvious the happier and more at ease is the Charles we now have, compared to earlier years when, although he was always warmly welcomed, he was over-shadowd by Diana and he definitely now comes across as more settled about his role and just enjoying it.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Up until her marriage to Charles, Camilla kept her own counsel (which gave the tabloids absolutely nothing to base an honest story on) and none of us got a glimmer into how much her support and loyalty to Charles impacted him. As we have seen over the years since they married, whether on official duties or sharing a walk in the woods, these two are obviously very happy and relaxed with each other and that's been affecting how people are perceiving them. Camilla has worked wonders for Charles and its great that people all over the world are coming to know just who the future Queen Consort is.

She certainly seems to be winning people over on this trip down under for sure! :)

Hi Osipi -

- yes, I just saw today's newspaper, "The Telegraph", where one of the feature writers answered all the critics who had written to her defending Camilla, after an earlier column was published criticizing Camilla's parasol etc., earlier in the tour - a supposed "light/fun" piece, but really just a put-down.

This columnist had the good grace to quote a lot of those who complained about the original piece, and they were certainly strong and forthright in their defence and support of Camilla.

It was good to see, as it is so easy to just run some-one down who can't answer back.

I think a lot of people want to see Charles and Camilla succeed, and to show that a lot of things about life don't require some-one to be still in their 20s, and that the pendulum needs to swing back to role models who have garnered a bit of wisdom from life's experiences.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Their time in Ausralia, in particular, has been time well spent PR wise.

The newspaper columns were remarkably encouraging, if not tame, and those who met them have nothing but praise for the couple.

Am I surprised by this? No, not really. All that was needed was a chance for Australian's to see this couple of Australian soil to re-establish an image of this (their) union. To be accorded the opportunity to see the Duchess of Cornwall in an environment which up until the tour, was completely foreign to her, surrounded by a people she had never mingled with on such a scale, and to have had her feature in our daily news and newspapers made for a positive change. A welcome change, in fact.

This lady, who over years has remained for a large number of Australian's the quintessential picture of the frumpy, uninteresting and not so pretty second wife/ former mistress is at last being recognised for the charming, supportive and beautifully natured woman that she is.

I hope Camilla left these shores with a new found sense of acceptance in her role as Charles' wife by a people who are known for their 'not backwards in coming forwards' approach, and I should hope this will not be the last we see of her in this country.

Last edited:
We will see her again - no doubt - but I am not so sure that that many people have taken her to heart - the died in the wool monarchists who were already inclined to like her have found her exactly as they were told she was - warm and caring. Others who have met her have found the same thing but...I still remember the Channel 7 Morning Show team - all of whom were invited to met them and three of the four said they didn't go because of what happened to Diana - publicly that is what they said last Wednesday morning - I think that is very much what happened - those who were interested beforehand went and saw her but those that were already opposed still refused.

As I said last week I would have loved to have gone but only getting three days notice as to when they were going to be somewhere meant that it wasn't possible to get the time off - and this was done, I believe, to restrict the amount of time to prevent the possibility of protests against her.

On another board I have read of a poster who is planning on going to see them in NZ with the express purpose of protesting against Camilla and has been able to plan her visits as she has known for so much longer than us when and where they are going to go.

I don't take a lot of notice of the papers anymore as I don't know anyone who buys a paper but reads them online - and finding articles hasn't been all that easy - usually down the page - never the headlines - easily missable if you weren't looking for them. They may have made the front page on Saturday but as I didn't see anyone with a paper I couldn't tell. They certainly weren't the lead in the online editions at any time during the week.

News coverage has been limited in my opinion - a short snippet to show what they did and with the Melbourne Cup race obviously leading the news on Tuesday and the US presidential elections on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom