The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Serene Highness

Let the show begin :

And unfortunately for Camilla, it was windy...

Welcome to the Queen's pikinini: Prince Charles and Camilla given warm reception as they touch down in Papua New Guinea | Mail Online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20191561

Brand new order for the duchess !

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/fqTW3...ua/51VZ1ZIcQ7D

Zimbio gallery

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/fqTW3...ua/WonuLiBzKUK

Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Serene Highness

And yes there's a video :

Prince Charles and Camilla begin Jubilee tour in Papua New Guinea - Telegraph

Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Camilla was made Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia (the picture depicts a Companion's insignia). CSM is awarded for distinguished service of a high degree to Papua New Guinea and Melanesia. Companion of the Star of Melanesia is the second-highest order after Grand Companion of the Logohu.

Charles was made Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu, which recognised outstanding achievements of an individual. Being invested as Grand Companion of the Order also automatically gives the right to the title of Chief to the holder. Charles had already been made Royal Chief of the Order in 2005 (along with Princess Anne and Prince Philip), while the Queen is the Order's Sovereign.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks for this explanation Artemisia !

I see a "state dinner" is scheduled on Sunday. If Camilla has to wear her new order, can we expect a tiara outing? Highly doubtful i know but it's the first time a foreign order is given to the duchess of Cornwall abroad...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Nobility

I like how the kerchef in Charles' pocket matches Camilla's dress

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...qyfPcwy0Ml.jpg
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Nico;1479763]Let the show begin :

And unfortunately for Camilla, it was windy...

Welcome to the Queen's pikinini: Prince Charles and Camilla given warm reception as they touch down in Papua New Guinea | Mail Online/QUOTE]

I was thrown when I read the "pikinini" reference. Here in the states it is considered a racial slur and refers back to slave children picking cotton.

But in PNG - it more simply refers to a child (based on several dictionary sources)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Artemisia;1479782] CSM is awarded for distinguished service of a high degree to Papua New Guinea and Melanesia. Companion of the Star of Melanesia is the second-highest order after Grand /QUOTE]

The awarding of Orders is interesting to me. It would seen in order to display distinguished service to PNG, that all The Duchess has to do was exit the plane, greet people, listen to the band and then head into the medal ceremony. Believe me, I think Camilla is a good public servant, great for the Prince, fun loving and looks good in tiaras. I just think (and yes this is very American of me) an award for distinguished service to a nation should be for either a singularly great service or for a body of work that is distinguished - in or for that nation.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Not sure where to post this, but the new princeofwales.gov.uk
website has pix of the pre-tour reception. And it is a much improved site!

if this is the wrong place for this, could a moderator move it to a more appropriate place.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand the sentiment, but it's no different to any other foreign orders being awarded between individuals or governments during official or state visits.

As the Queen is sovereign of Papua New Guinea, I think perhaps the gifting of orders is not so unexpected in this instance. Apparently Charles officially received the order in 2005 upon it's creation though only now has he formally received the actual regalia.

As for Camilla, note that she was not gifted with the same order as Charles, but the subsidary order in terms of precedence. That is generally how the distribution of orders is handled in regards to royal consorts of the heirs apparent or presumptive.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see Camilla receive a Companion of the Order of Australia, but that is not at all likely and would notably have the vast majority of republican sympathisers up in arms (which to an extent I can understand when considering that the honour is one which is, by convention, awarded due to notable merit and outstanding service to the nation).

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post

Judging by Camilla's hair it's really windy there at the moment.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

Cepe, I think they need to clean up a lot of things on the site. Right now I think i prefer the older site. It was cleaner and a lot less busier.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

Even with the wind, this is an excellent photo of Camilla. She looks absolutely gorgeous and radiant.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Even with the wind, this is an excellent photo of Camilla. She looks absolutely gorgeous and radiant.
Well spotted csw That's just sooooo nice
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

The awarding of honours within royal families is not democratic. For example, Mary, Mette-Marit, Daniel etc. all received their country's highest honours when all they'd done is marry into the family. The BRF are a lot more discerning in terms of who gets what order and when.

Then there are all the medals royals wear, despite either never having seen action during their military service, or never having served in the military at all (Prince Henrik, for example). There are exceptions of course, but if you look at the number of medals Henrik or Frederik sport on their uniforms, it's a bit silly.

Camilla is looking fabulous at the moment. Her break at the Indian retreat certainly seems to have been effective.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Majesty

I think it's great Camilla is now getting her Orders. I thought she looked so empty at State Banquets and orther State occassions without her Orders and Sashes. Now she will get to wear her Royal Victorian Order and other Orders when it's time for her to do so. She's got many other Orders coming her way.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, in Papua New Guinea | Spletnik.ru
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Frederik has undergone all the necessary training and has actively served within defense command and administration. I do not consider the amount of medals he wears upon his uniform to seem in any way 'silly'.

Camilla does look rejuvinated, but being pampered at a health retreat and catching some sun will do that for you

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness

In Britain you have to earn your orders through dedication and service to the Queen.
Mary was given the Order of the Elephant for no reason other than she married into the family. Her father was given an order as well
Camilla waited 7 years for the GCVO and it was well deserved as is the order she just received.

Fred's medals do look a little ott IMO.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:

And I like how you noticed -and shared-this detail that I would not otherwise have seen. I shall now spend more time perusing HRH pocket squares!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Majesty

I think it was great Queen Margrethe gave Crown Princess Mary's father The Order of the Dannebrog. If The Queen gave Mr. Middleton an honour like that, I don't even want to think about the amount of anger we would see on the net.

Imo, The Duchess of Cornwall deserve to be recognized like this.