The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Majesty

Travelling court of Charles and Camilla:
Travelling court of Charles and Camilla - World - News - London Evening Standard

Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Royal couple charm Manawatu - One News | TVNZ

Royals go rural on latest leg of NZ tour - TV News Video | TVNZ

Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
If even the deeply republican newspaper The Australian is judging Charles and Camilla's visit a success, then TRH can be very happy:

Full article here:

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

As an Australian I must disagree with the extent of the coverage - a 30 second bite during the news (not the lead story mind you) and a bit of coverage in the papers if you went looking for it - not front pages - and buried on the webpages of the same papers is hardly extensive coverage.

Even the women's mags don't have them on the front cover this week - I can't remember the last royal tour that didn't feature the royal in question on the front cover.

I would say this was a successful tour because there weren't any reported protests but it hardly rated a mention in the news.

I kept looking for coverage of the tour and found most of the coverage on this site - not the news or in the papers but here.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As an Australian I must disagree with the extent of the coverage - a 30 second bite during the news (not the lead story mind you) and a bit of coverage in the papers if you went looking for it - not front pages - and buried on the webpages of the same papers is hardly extensive coverage.

Even the women's mags don't have them on the front cover this week - I can't remember the last royal tour that didn't feature the royal in question on the front cover.

I would say this was a successful tour because there weren't any reported protests but it hardly rated a mention in the news.

I kept looking for coverage of the tour and found most of the coverage on this site - not the news or in the papers but here.
Hi Iluvbertie - you and I must be living in different Australias - perhaps Bathurst vs Sydney.

Check out my previous post - #180 - re the coverage I enjoyed during C and C's tour.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

So is The Australian lying then? If this were a press release issued by the Australian Monarchist League or the like then I could see it as an exaggeration. When it's a staunchly republican newspaper's editorial, I fail to see why they would paint such an inaccurately positive picture? Surely in doing so they're doing their campaign for a republic a disservice?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kiwis, what on earth is this? The caption says it's a 'potato swirl', is that like a giant curly chip (french fry)?

Camilla Parker Bowles Pictures - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit New Zealand - Day 6 - Zimbio

Have any of our Kiwi friends been able to see TRH during their visit? I would've thought MARG in particular would've given it a good go?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Hi Iluvbertie - you and I must be living in different Australias - perhaps Bathurst vs Sydney.

Check out my previous post - #180 - re the coverage I enjoyed during C and C's tour.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

As Bathurst gets the same papers as Sydney and the same news I don't think I am seeing something different - as I said 30 second bites on the news about the third or fourth story - that is Channels 7, 9 and 10 and the ABC - none on the local news channel at all. Nothing much in the Herald or Telegraph (and online you had to really search for any mention of the tour). Skynews had the same as the others - some limited bites in the news (no dedicated channel on their news active site except for their arrival in Longreach).

I have just spent a day with about 100 other people and I asked many of them what they thought of the coverage of the tour and over half of them told me that they didn't even know that they had been here (mostly they are republicans anyway so no interest - school event).
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
So is The Australian lying then? If this were a press release issued by the Australian Monarchist League or the like then I could see it as an exaggeration. When it's a staunchly republican newspaper's editorial, I fail to see why they would paint such an inaccurately positive picture? Surely in doing so they're doing their campaign for a republic a disservice?

I haven't never regarded The Australian as 'staunchly republican' to begin with - more republican than monarchist.

Is it lying - possibly - but from my experience there was absolutely minimal coverage - overshadowed by the re-election of Obama - taking the front part of the news coverage for most of the time they were here.

Compared to the almost saturation coverage we got when William came here and we got of his recent tour of SE Asia this was minimal at best.

I found out way more about what they were doing from this site than I did from the media in NSW which barely covered it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I was content with the level of coverage shown. The couple made the news every night in Victoria, and on every channel. They also appeared in the papers every day as well. At the Melbourne Cup the cameras spent some 15 minutes on them during their arrival with an accompanying commentary.

There was no hysteria, if that's what some were perhaps rather naively anticipating, rather a level headed and practical response by the media which I think befitted the couple and the tour rather well.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Gentry

I agree Madame Royale. I was pleased with the coverage. I was off work all of last week, and on Thursday and Friday I had ABC 24 News on in the background. They regularly crossed live to whatever the Prince and Duchess were up to in Hobart and Sydney. There were good daily summaries in the evening news and on the breakfast TV shows. I can't comment on the daily papers as I did not see them, but the online versions seemed to have a good range of photos and videos. In all I thought it was a successful visit with sufficient and appropriate coverage.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Gentry

The thing that I liked about the tour was that Camilla and Charles were shown focusing on all things Australian - Australian food, The Royal Flying Doctor Service, The Melbourne Cup, The Wool Industry, South Australian Wine, Surf Lifesaving, the Armed Forces, Salamanca Market. They seemed to love to enjoy and promote many aspects of which we are proud. The media covered who and what they were visiting, not just the couple themselves.
I think the visit was a resounding success. Camilla came across as very warm and eager to greet everyone, and their dog. She dressed wonderfully. They were gorgeous at mixing with people. Charles gets my vote for clearly having researched every place of interest that he visited and for having an active go at joining in - weaving, throwing fleeces, playing cricket etc. It was clear that they love Australia.

Queen Elizabeth did draw many more people last year (me included) and she was on the front page of newspapers, as was William earlier that year.
Charles and Camilla were in nearly every radio news bulletin, on TV news each night and in the newspapers about five pages in. They weren't on the front covers of glossy magazines and they weren't gushed over.
I was more impressed by Charles and Camilla's visit.
It touched the locals in a more practical way. I don't think that Charles and Camilla minded that the koalas that they held, and not them, were the focus in the photographs. Australian produce and innovation were pride of place.
Charles and Camilla worked really hard and fitted so many engagements into each day. They showed themselves to be accessible - not on a pedestal - interested in gardening, feeding the planet, renewable energy, sustainable housing etc.
I hope that they had time to enjoy some moments of the trip though I think that they'll be thoroughly exhausted on the plane back to Britain.

Bravo to them both.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit New Zealand - Day 7 - Zimbio

C&C in christchurch today
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Serene Highness

'Come on darling you’ve got to dance too'

Prince Charles takes a spin on the dancefloor in New Zealand | Mail Online
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Does anyone know what is that blue flower Prince Charles wore in his buttonhole on Day 7? I never see it at the florists here, but do like it. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

It's cute to see that Charles has "loosened up" in his older years.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

Time to leave :

Prince Charles wraps up Kiwi tour - National News | TVNZ
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

King of the Jungle hit the nail on the head and to Australia you can add New Zealand. This tour didn't have the Hollywood frenzy of the visit of the young royals or the almost reverence of that of HM. What it did was introduce a whole new "audience" to Charles at 64 and his new wife, Camilla.
Quote:
Often separated from one another amid the constantly changing crowd, Charles and Camilla checked each other's whereabouts with darting glances.
What it showed was that they are a dynamic duo, and that people liked them, liked what they were doing, that Charles puts his money where his mouth is or, in this case, wore wool! Australian wool and New Zealand wool, showing that the Campaign for Wool is truly international and doing it in his own inimitable style.

Campaign for Wool :: Home

Charles and Camilla charmed and amused us. They both seemed to know what they were talking about, better yet, who they were talking too. Their knowledge of the issues confronting those in all the areas they visited was formidable and yes, KOJ, Camilla did meet just about every man and his dog! What does that tell you about Camilla that people want to introduce even their "member of the family", "best friend" or "baby" to her. They trust that she will be interested, care about them and maybe even pet their darling. And Camilla? She trusts them to introduce her to those that aren't going to take her hand off. Fearless!

Their interaction with the public was priceless
Quote:
Twelve-year-old Max Pascoe was halfway to a conniption fit after shaking Prince Charles' hand.
"I got starstruck," he said. "If you think about it, he has touched the Queen's hand, and I have felt his DNA. So . . . I feel odd," Max said before trailing off.
DNA? You gotta love those kids . . . . And to anyone wondering how much Charles takes after his father?
Quote:
Charles after showing a small group of people the New Zealand Wool label inside his suit: "It's a testament to how New Zealand wool can disguise a rapidly disintegrating body."
and
Quote:
Charles on hearing a tourist say she came across the royal tour by chance: "I'm ever so sorry. I hope we didn't get in your way."
or Camilla . . .
Quote:
Camilla to a woman who said she enjoyed making clothes for her grandchildren: "I'm interested in crafts too. I make things for my grandchildren."
and . . .
Quote:
At Re:Start, the duchess stopped at Ruby to do a bit of shopping. She bought a pair of black wedges and chatted to the shop owner.
Shop assistant Emily Stevens, 22, said she was surprised by Camilla's visit.

"We thought she would just walk along. It was surreal she came in."
The duchess also picked up items from Hapa that she said were for her grandchildren.
How utterly magic. These are the memories that people will talk about for years.

Re:Start is a very colourful Mall where shipping containers have been adapted as shops, painted in bright and modern colours and attached in a sort of modular way to what little remained of Cashel Mall, the major shopping precinct in Christchurch City. That is our new "normal"!

To Christchurch City it is just that . . . a Re:Start!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Wonderful and insightful post Marg, thank you !
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Gentry

Loosened up in his older years? Well, the Prince has always been a bit partial to strutting his stuff. Here he is in Rio in the '70s.