The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Majesty

Charles and Camilla: Visit to Australia (2018 Comm. Games) and Vanuatu - April 2018

Thread to discuss the proposed trip to Australia by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall to inaugurate the Commonwealth Games

Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just a note - the trip is in April not March. http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...118166e87f397b

Camilla - April 4th - 6th

Charles - April 4th - 10th

Edward will be here in April also as he will close the Games and then is going to South Australia (I can't post a link as the story is behind a pay wall)

Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

This is being discussed in this thread:
The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Just a note - the trip is in April not March. http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...118166e87f397b

Camilla - April 4th - 6th

Charles - April 4th - 10th

Edward will be here in April also as he will close the Games and then is going to South Australia (I can't post a link as the story is behind a pay wall)
I did note I had the month wrong in the title nit could not edit it. Perhaps the mods could?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

A press release for the upcoming visit:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/new.../press-release
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW-8blnX4AIX52O.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW-8bgRXcAQWlAp.jpg

Quote:
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit Australia, beginning their engagements in Brisbane on Wednesday 4th April. His Royal Highness, accompanied by The Duchess, will represent Her Majesty The Queen at the opening of the XXI Commonwealth Games, reading out Her Majesty's customary message, calling on athletes to come together in the spirit of friendly competition. Their Royal Highnesses will visit Brisbane & the Gold Coast together; before His Royal Highness continues his visit to Queensland and the Northern Territory, concluding on Tuesday 10th April. The Prince of Wales will visit Vanuatu on Saturday 7th April, where his programme will include learning more about the reconstruction which has taken place following the devastating impact of Cyclone Pam.

In addition to the theme of Commonwealth, the tour will include engagements which focus on the themes of community, sustainability and disaster recovery and resilience; as well as visits which highlight The Prince's connections to the Australian Armed Forces. The Tour will include visits to Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Bundaberg and Cairns in Queensland, and the Gove Peninsula and Darwin in the Northern Territory. In Vanuatu, The Prince will visit Port Vila on Efate.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will they be back in time for the events in London
Old 02-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

What events in London?

Camilla is here for three days and Charles for about a week.

Edward will be here for longer arriving the day Charles leaves.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Will they be back in time for the events in London
Charles will be there 4th-10th April. I don’t think there’s anything going on in the UK he couldn’t miss.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank You. I vaguely read something about a commonwealth leaders dinner that is supposed to be a tiara event. I was just wondering if the couple would miss that gala
Old 02-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

CHOGM is 16th -20th April, they would never schedule them at the same time. Charles is hoping to be the future head of the Commonwealth, he’d never miss that.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

The dinner is usually on the first night and Charles will be back for that.

There is no way they would have the Commonwealth Games and CHOGM clash as many of the Commonwealth Heads of Government will want to go to Brisbane to support their athletes.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Camilla cuts the Australian trip short:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ss-of-Cornwall

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
Serene Highness

3 days for such a long trip seems odd, but I am glad Camilla is going, even if for just a few days. I had a bad feeling about this trip when it was announced - nothing specific just a gut feeling. I sincerely hope and pray that I am wrong and all is well. I like them much more than I do the younger, more popular royals.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Camilla cutting it short after 3 days sounds logical to me. She'll be there with Charles for the main events yet, knowing how she just doesn't adapt well to hot weather, is bypassing on a more lengthly trip.

She may also have other things on her plate she needs to do once she's back in the UK.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Let's face it, Camilla has not a strong health and above all she can't stand hot weather. She know her limits very well, and indeed it's quite logical to cut short such a long trip.
But it's logical for us, and i'm afraid highly questionable for others...
Old 04-02-2018, 01:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Aren't Charles and Camilla already on the way to Singapore, enroute for Australia and the Commonwealth Games?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Aren't Charles and Camilla already on the way to Singapore, enroute for Australia and the Commonwealth Games?
Possibly but it doesn't take that long.

If they leave later today London time they will be in Brisbane at 6.00 a.m. or so on Wednesday (have take BA many times and the flight leaves around 9.00 p.m. at night and arrives in Sydney/Brisbane about 5.30 - 6.00 a.m. two days later so leave Monday night and arrive Wednesday morning.

I would expect them to therefore leave later tonight (Charles certainly as Camilla may have gone ahead to get 'heat adjusted' by staying a few extra days in Singapore). They will then have a few extra hours in Singapore before the RAAF plane brings them the rest of the way.

Monday's CC should indicate when they actually left the UK, unless they have taken and extra day or so for a holiday on the way ...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Iluvbertie. Yes, I was calculating in two or three days in Singapore, at least for Camilla, before continuing on to Brisbane.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have seen the CC up to the 1st April and according to it they haven't left the UK and for such a high profile tour - the heir to the throne coming to open the Commonwealth Games - it would be normal for that to be listed.

Charles normally doesn't take 'extra days' but flies out, does his thing and flies back asap.

Camilla may have already left - we haven't seen her for some time. Her last engagement was 22nd March.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

They have landed in Brisbane and undertaken the official welcome and walkabout in the Botanic Gardens there.

Tags
australia, camilla, charles, commonwealth games