The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
And true as well.
Exactly so... Putin's recent actions are indistinguishable from those of Hitler in 1938/9.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Nobility

It sounds crazy and I can't believe I'm saying such a thing, but what we're seen today with crazy Putin and Crimea is very similar to what was happening before World Wars I and II. Someone has to stop that awful man.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think it is time to move on and leave political opinions and use a bit more diplomacy when discussing the various differences in heads of state, princes or regimes and governments. It really gets us no where real fast and makes our moderators grumble under their breath as they clean up the thread.
You are right, but no one will listen.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

Well lets try and get back on an even keel then, because I do think that it is worth remembering that not everyone on this forum is from Western Europe or the United States or have the same views and opinions, and starting our own political arguments won't help anyone. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it is vitally important that ordinary folk on forums such as this of whatever political views or cultural backgrounds can discuss things in a friendly, kind way and be good to each other. The friendship and understanding between countries starts off not through the politicians or heads of state, but through the ordinary folks.
Whilst I am happy for Charles to make his opinions known or to have an opinion in the first place, I do think on this particular occasion it is deeply regrettable. All we can do is hope for the best for all the people in Crimea and Ukraine.
Maybe it is time for another state visit to Russia to smooth things over, can we send the Queen?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Any I read a tweet earlier about very strange comment from Charles about him not living a long enough to visit Canada again.
Prince Charles was making a joke. Apparently he's been suffering from a really bad head cold for the last week or so.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post
Prince Charles was making a joke. Apparently he's been suffering from a really bad head cold for the last week or so.
A Royal Man Cold!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Al_bina;1667201]You are right, but no one will listen. [/QUOTE]
Albina - I agree 100% that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the rules of this forum are that we are polite to each other. Frankly your statement that posters on here are "a vulgar herd" is not polite.

I find your perspective interesting but would appreciate you stating it without denigrating the views of others.

thank you.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well lets try and get back on an even keel then, because I do think that it is worth remembering that not everyone on this forum is from Western Europe or the United States...
I think that those of us of British heritage who live in Western European countries and places like Australia and Canada and the USA find it extremely difficult if not impossible to even comprehend much less relate to the point of view and feelings of people whose history is rooted in places like central and eastern Europe, and further east, where there was no industrial revolution and no long history of parliamentary democracy, and where there have been many countries and many different ethnic groups, sometimes of different religions, clustered together which have have experienced many centuries of conflict and often bitter and bloody fighting over their borders. Even our western countries have differences of opinion at times.

I'm betting the 95.7% of the 83% of ordinary folks in the Crimea who voted to become part of the Russian Federation would like their decision to be respected. I'm also betting that the ethnic Germans who voted in the Sudetenland in 1938 wanted theirs respected, too, but the opinions of many other people there were, of course, disregarded. It is, however, worth noting that British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain signed the Munich Agreement!

The point of this post is not to open an off-topic discussion about history but to say that I believe the issues raised by Charles' regrettable comment are extremely complex and sensitive, and to agree with Jacknch in that I think that forums like this one provide an amazing and valuable opportunity for people from all over the world, from all these different countries and diverse backgrounds, to meet and have friendly discussions as equal human beings with common interests. If we come here with goodwill and respect each other and our right to have different opinions it should be possible for us to discuss these matters without attacking each other. The fact we are such a diverse group should be enjoyed to maximum advantage. We have an opportunity to exchange ideas and learn much from each other in this informal and friendly, and relatively anonymous, forum.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Vladimir Putin's spokesman has lashed out at Prince Charles, claiming only 'historical ignorance' could have let him compare the Russian president to Hitler.
In an extraordinary claim, Dmitry Peskov broke his three days of silence over the row to say: 'I personally cannot believe that Prince Charles could have said such a thing, because such a statement can be attributed to historical ignorance.'
His words come hours after state media channel Russia Today broadcast a segment highlighted the Royal Family's links to the Nazis.
But despite the growing furore, Peskov added that relations between Russia and Britain are 'gravitating towards partnership'.
Kremlin launches extraordinary attack on Prince Charles as Putin spokesman says only 'historical ignorance' could have let him compare Russian president to Hitler | Mail Online
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think that those of us of British heritage who live in Western European countries and places like Australia and Canada and the USA...
Your points are well-taken, but it is a long-standing piece of international law that nations don't get to invade the land of another sovereign nation, no matter what paternalistic pretexts they might put forth. In that sense at least, Putin's actions could be viewed as at least extremely similar to the Nazi regime's land grabs in The Suedetenland and in the Anschluss.

Put that together with Putin's abominable human rights record, including the rampant persecution against religious minorities and political dissidents, and the comparisons to other totalitarian leaders - the clearest example of whom is Adolf Hitler - starts to seem pretty apt.

All this to say, it doesn't seem to me as though Charles's comments seem to be creating much of a furor among large segments of the British populace, so it doesn't appear as though this will affect the monarchy very much.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
All this to say, it doesn't seem to me as though Charles's comments seem to be creating much of a furor among large segments of the British populace, so it doesn't appear as though this will affect the monarchy very much.
And this, of itself, bothers me a little.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
...Charles' regrettable comment...
Really? When were you born? Charles' comment is not regrettable. It is on point. It is not a difference of opinion, it was done during Hitler's time.

Respect is one thing, acknowledge the infiltration of Russians to skew another nations' autonomy is different. They are lying about the unmarked troops that they have placed there, today. The Taking over of government building is force, nothing less. Because of Charles' restrictions of being non-political it may be unfortunate, but it is true. Russia right now is a menace and wishes to re-establish the Soviet Union, foolish opinions such is your lacks historical knowledge.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

On the money - annexation; suppression of info; all of it we have seen before.
Those that say Charles comments are exaggeration are looking at the end result of Hitler's reign - not how he started. Learning from history is a duty, not a pastime.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Wade Lynch's performance was terrible. Prince Charles' and his wife's reactions were plebeian.

Quote:
This is not the first time the British royals made such gaffe. It is the standard mode of operations for them. Hopefully Prince Charles will make a gaffe or two during a future trip to the Persian Gulf kingdoms.

Quote:
You are right, but no one will listen. The vulgar herd is venting their feelings.
Might I suggest that since Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are not your favourite people, that you make your point on the appropriate thread. Continually disrespecting the couple and anyone who does not agree with your point of view does not however, have anything to do with their trip to Canada which is what this thread is supposed to be all about.

Quote:
Huh?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
...Those that say Charles comments are exaggeration are looking at the end result of Hitler's reign...
I wouldn't say that Charles' comments are an exaggeration. There are many similarities between what's going on now and what happened under Hitler's regime before the War.

That doesn't make Charles' comments appropriate. There is a difference between being right and being appropriate.

You posted a link (which I appreciated) the other day that had a British constitutional expert saying Charles' comments were not a problem because he was speaking in line with what British political parties had to say on the matter. I have a couple issues with this:
1. First of all, unless British political parties are openly comparing Putin to Hitler, then Charles isn't speaking in line with what they're saying. There is a difference between disproving and taking measures against what Putin is doing and calling him Hitler.
2. Second of all, Charles is more than just a British Prince. He is in the line of succession to 16 different thrones. Not all of them are British, not all of them have political parties whose beliefs on this matter correspond with what the British political parties are saying. Even supposing that David Cameron himself had compared Putin to Hitler, Charles should be reflecting more than just the British.
3. Expanding on this, these comments were not made while in Britain. At the time, Charles was not acting in his position as a British Prince. He was not acting as a representative of the British monarch or government. He was acting as a member of the Canadian Royal family on behalf of the Canadian monarch and the Canadian government. While the Canadian political parties may not be approving of Putin and may be taking measures against him, they certainly haven't called Putin Hitler.

Charles' opinions may have been valid, but his words were not appropriate.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Might I suggest that since Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are not your favourite people, that you make your point on the appropriate thread. Continually disrespecting the couple and anyone who does not agree with your point of view does not however, have anything to do with their trip to Canada which is what this thread is supposed to be all about. ... [snipped]
It has been kind of you to give me advice. If my posts are off-topic or do not follow TRF rules/guidelines, moderators will delete or edit them.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...Charles' opinions may have been valid, but his words were not appropriate.
Well said. His mother would never had made a remark like that, now or as the heir. It's also rather stunningly insensitive of him to have made it to a holocaust survivor. Frankly, given that there have been quite a few in his family who either married someone in the nazi party or someone whose father had been a nazi officer, I would think C would be well advised not to stray into that territory.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

It would have been very interesting to be a "fly on the wall" if the Prince of Wales and our Prime Minister had an opportunity to discuss the comment. Russia is our neighbour across the North Pole, although we identify much more with our neighbour to the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Charles' opinions may have been valid, but his words were not appropriate.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I can understand that constitutionally much depends on the monarchy remaining closely neutral. However, it's not entirely surprising that the public isn't taking offense at negative comments about a guy that most people view as...negative. Not right, but not surprising.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Vladimir Putin says Prince Charles' comments comparing him to Hitler were 'wrong' | Mail Online

Hopefully this will conclude an unfortunat saga of the comments. Bazaar shrieks of the western media lackeys are tiresome.

Tags
camilla, canada, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales