Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 18-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Words are being put into Princes Charles' mouth.
It does not appear that it was Prince Charles who mentioned Hitler but the woman...
Facts, mere facts. Irrelevant. Those who want to blow this up into an international incident will do so regardless of the facts about the words that were spoken, and the truth of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
they have never been scheduled to meet each other. Reported today (Putin with Heads of State I assume). Tho what the Normandy beaches have to do with Russia ....... They had their own tough battles to fight,

The D Day per se had nothing to do with the Soviet Union. President Hollande invited President Putin to attend celebrations. The invitation has not been declined. President Putin is said to meet with Chancellor Merkel and President Obama. He will have to endure Prince Charles for a short period of time.
Putin to meet Obama, Merkel at WWII Normandy landing anniversary in France ? RT News

Last edited:
Who brought up Hitler isn't the big thing here. Given the circumstances of the event, Hitler being brought up was probably very natural.
Who brought up Putin is a different matter. That's where it gets tricky and it does seem like it was Charles who did that, not the woman.

...If you want something really controversial, how about the rambling denunciation of NATO and assertion that Canada, and Harper in particular, are non-entities in when it comes to international politics...

Also, HRH made a joke today about maybe not living long enough to return to Canada...
I'm not familiar with either incident here, can you provide links?

Storm in a teacup; not an international incident; Putin will carry on carrying on and so will Charles. Circulation battle amongst tabloids.

Also it would be the height of hypocrisy if he were to publicly claim to be offended - the kind of drivel that apparently airs on Russian TV about nuking America into a "radioactive wasteland" etc. I don't think people in the west realize how much Soviet propaganda still influences the Russian people's opinions of the west - even the younger generations. They simply don't like us. Which is why they persist in waging a cyber war against us.

Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right though.

No one is saying Putin is a good person or that the situation in Russia is ideal. What's going on there is far from ideal and is, for the west, a very tense and fraught political situation. People handling such situations badly is really what caused World War One, and we don't need to repeat that.

Putin is not, by Western standards, a good leader. Russia is not, by those same standards, a good country. What they're doing in the Crimea is also not good. And for regular joes like us, it is completely acceptable and valid to make comparisons between the current state of Russia and previous totalitarian, agressive states.

It is appropriate for politically involved people and world leaders to make similar comments in private as well. It is not appropriate for them to make such comments in public - regardless of who brought up Hitler or Putin or what not. To do so on that level is just to risk bating an already unpredictable state into a fight - a fight that it's really debatable if we should enter into. Charles making comments that have been overheard, and thus can be misquoted, misrepresented, misunderstood, and really aren't polite in the best of light, just adds to an already bad situation.

:previous:
Can I point you in the direction of my post #86 where a constititional expert gives the following opinion.

"All of the Queen's public speeches and actions are taken on advice from ministers, says constitutional expert Vernon Bogdanor. But other royals, including the heir to the throne, are not bound by any rules. In practice, Prince Charles shows his speeches to ministers before delivery, Bogdanor says. And the convention is that senior royals should not embarrass the Queen in either public or private statements. The key unwritten rule is to avoid party politics. Bogdanor argues that the prince's Putin remark did not overstep the mark. "It reflects a consensus among all the main parties. The comment is controversial rather than anodyne. But it is not party political."

What newspapers say (circulation boost) and "pundits" (earn some money) is not expert opinion. Vernon Bogdanor is.

Also it would be the height of hypocrisy if he were to publicly claim to be offended - the kind of drivel that apparently airs on Russian TV about nuking America into a "radioactive wasteland" etc. I don't think people in the west realize how much Soviet propaganda still influences the Russian people's opinions of the west - even the younger generations. They simply don't like us. Which is why they persist in waging a cyber war against us.
Subjects and citizens in the enlightened western regimes are still affected by and parrot the Cold War propaganda. Russians, Kazakhs, and other nationalities of the former USSR are more worldly than Europeans. They read information from local news sites and international ones.
The pearl-clutching is pathetic.

Last edited:
That was good for a chuckle. Made my day, actually. :)

Subjects and citizens in the enlightened western regimes are still affected by and parrot the Cold War propaganda. Russians, Kazakhs, and other nationalities of the former USSR are more worldly than Europeans. They read information from local news sites and international ones.
The pearl-clutching is pathetic.

With regard to the impersonation of the Queen, it was embarrassing and dreadful - I wouldn't have known where to look and Camilla particularly looked like she felt the same. Apart from that, the announcer saying "please welcome her royal highness the Queen" added to the tackiness.

Earlier they introduced Camilla as "Her Grace, the Duchess of Cornwall"

That was good for a chuckle. Made my day, actually. :)
It was nice of you to let me know that my comments amused you. Subjects of the Commonwealth realms have amusing views/perceptions as well.

Last edited:
Several articles say 'in full view of the media', which cannot possibly be expected to be 'private conversation'. He is entitled to his opinion, however if he wishes to someday be the a political monarch, he would be well advised to button it. The negotiations ongoing with Putin and the west dont need C stirring the pot. It will be interesting what happens when C meets Putin again next month.

:previous:
Already mentioned that they are not expected to meet (source UK media)

EDIT: The articles are quoting the DM - the BBC are saying otherwise. But frankly its hardly earth shattering stuff.

You dont think that it's a problem when he equates a sitting head of state with Adolph Hitler? Really?

As a long as he not party politcal then I see no problem.

I think he could be cautious. He's old enough to know better. In one sense it is more important for the Prince of Wales to keep his personal views about other countries' leaders to himself. I recall another Prince of Wales in the 1930s expressed his regard for the Nazis. If the situation in Germany had subsequently taken a different course those remarks might not have even made a footnote in the history books, but Charles should be mindful of that example.

Last edited:
What Putin is doing right now is similar to what Hitler was doing back then before the war. I have no problem with that.

The Prince of Wales said nothing but the truth. He showed he understand what's happening in the world and it's possible consequences. I think that's a good quality in a Head of State.

Putin is a crazy man with no limits. He should be stopped now, before he really become like Hitler.

Any I read a tweet earlier about very strange comment from Charles about him not living a long enough to visit Canada again. :ermm:

What Putin is doing right now is similar to what Hitler was doing back then before the war. I have no problem with that.
I have no problem with him thinking that, and I share that view, but it is controversial, and I think Prince Charles, the future King of England, should not express his opinions about such matters within the hearing of a journalist.

The Prince of Wales said nothing but the truth. He showed he understand what's happening in the world and it's possible consequences. I think that's a good quality in a Head of State.
In an elected Head of State, maybe, but not in someone who is really only a figurehead and whose only qualification for his position is the fact he was born to the right parents.

I am happy that the Duchess showed her being "most not amused", remaining stonefaced and stoïc. The Prince diplomatically, half-hearted, applauded. I found Camilla's reaction the best. Why should anyone always pretend things are funny, when it was not funny at all?
Because, when a guest, it never hurts to show good manners. It's the keep calm and carry on mentality. :flowers:

And today - Rebecca psost about The Prince of Wales being chuffed. Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 1h Prince Charles looked chuffed to bits with the Mountie hat he was given in Canada today...#royaltour #princecharles pic.twitter.com/mSOviEtDjV

I don't think she will ease herself out of yesterday's tweet all that easily.

Any pics from today? I'm really quite busy here and didn't get a chance to check. I can't muster up any sympathy for Putin,the man is an idiot and the whole world knows it.

...I agree with his sentiment on Putin, but he should simply not have said what he did...
I applaud his comment. Time to put dictators in the right perspective.

I think it is time to move on and leave political opinions and use a bit more diplomacy when discussing the various differences in heads of state, princes or regimes and governments. It really gets us no where real fast and makes our moderators grumble under their breath as they clean up the thread.

I don't see why it's necessary to criticize all Canadian comics

I cannot see how my words can [remotely] be interpreted as critical of all Canadian comedians !

Since you obviously have good ones, why on Earth was this rubbish one chosen ? As i said it is extremely disrespectful to embarrass a guest !

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 3h
Russian foreign ministry: if reports true that Prince Charles likened Putin to Hitler the remarks were "unacceptable, outrageous and low"

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 3h
Russian foreign ministry: if reports true that Prince Charles likened Putin to Hitler the remarks were "unacceptable, outrageous and low"

And true as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom