Charles and Camilla: Tour of New Zealand and Australia - November 4-15, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These headlines don't match the positive messages actually coming out of Australia including by the Australian media.

But no surprise from the Guardian

Richard Palmer is someone you give a lot of time to when it comes to W&K. His is the article that says support for Charles being the next King of Australia is collapsing.

I agree with the positive images. We always see positive images when senior royals go on tour.

Richard Palmer is someone you give a lot of time to when it comes to W&K. His is the article that says support for Charles being the next King of Australia is collapsing.

I agree with the positive images. We always see positive images when senior royals go on tour.

I spotted that headline as well. I think its a great shame that no British royal reporter went on this trip.

I do give a lot of time to RP because he is prepared to answer questions etc and doesn't get narky when challenged/disagreed with; but I don't always agree with him.

Richard Palmer was back-pedalling a little on his Twitter page, probably in response to the huge crowds seen today in Sydney. He's saying now that he thinks it's (presumably an Australian republic) 'some time away'.

Richard Palmer was back-pedalling a little on his Twitter page, probably in response to the huge crowds seen today in Sydney. He's saying now that he thinks it's (presumably an Australian republic) 'some time away'.

I think the mistake that was made is not grasping that the poll was done by a Republican group who also issued a press release focussing on their cause.

I should think that eventually it will have its own HoState but hopefully will stay in the Commonwealth. I don't think that its about Charles, its about the country wanting to choose its H of State. If the Government hadn't goofed on the referendum question in 1999, HMQ would not still be Head of State.

I think the mistake that was made is not grasping that the poll was done by a Republican group who also issued a press release focussing on their cause.

I should think that eventually it will have its own HoState but hopefully will stay in the Commonwealth. I don't think that its about Charles, its about the country wanting to choose its H of State. If the Government hadn't goofed on the referendum question in 1999, HMQ would not still be Head of State.

It has never been suggested that Australia, as a republica, wouldn't apply to remain in the Commonwealth (we like being top dog at the Commonwealth Games - which is all the Commonwealth means to most Aussies anyway). It should be noted that as a republic membership isn't automatic and we would have to actually apply for membership which means it is possible that the other countries would decide to exclude us for some reason e.g. our human rights record.

I spotted that headline as well. I think its a great shame that no British royal reporter went on this trip.

I do give a lot of time to RP because he is prepared to answer questions etc and doesn't get narky when challenged/disagreed with; but I don't always agree with him.

Rob Jobson is on the trip. He said there are about a dozen or so (compared to the 100s who were accredited for William and Kate's tour down under last year) which is why there has been minimal coverage here and elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingo! For me, anyway, it's not about personalities, just about wanting an Australian Head of State. There are many different flavours of republican in this country. I am very fond of Charles, and always have been. And I am fond of Camilla. And I respect HM. I'm just not keen on William or Kate. There's no doubt we'd want to remain in the Commonwealth. We'd expect to.

I think the Brits made a bit mistake not sending more reporters for this tour. Charles has had a long relationship with Australia and has a good following here. Our relationship with the BRF is a complicated one, seemingly too complex for the British media folk to comprehend.

Last edited:
Newspaper send journalists based on supply and demand.

When William and Kate were in Australia the Daily Mail had them on the front page 10 times with 3 separate souvenir editions.

There isn't anywhere near that much interest this time around with C&C so no British reporters need to be there on the ground.

:huh: But who determines/creates demand? Isn't it he papers? Who decided there would be souvenir editions of William & Kates hols here? And do the Brits buy souvenir editions of the Royals' hols in another country? Why? The Royals live in England and the Brits get to see them all the time. I don't get it. I would have thought it would be the people in the countries being visited that would want the souvenir edition, but that the Brits would want news, and thus need reporters following the tour to report that news.

Obviously I know nothing about how newspapers work. :D

If C&C's tour is popular in New Zealand and Australia the local papers can cover it as much as they want.

Camilla can be on the 24 hour cable networks if there is demand.

For British papers they can just pick up what the wires provide I suppose.

If the Mail or Telegraph thought it could move papers covering C&C then they would be covered I guess.

Rob Jobson is on the trip. He said there are about a dozen or so (compared to the 100s who were accredited for William and Kate's tour down under last year) which is why there has been minimal coverage here and elsewhere.

How many of the 100s that were accredited for W&K actually wanted to capture images of George?

How many of them went to Australia because of George?

How many of them wanted to sell stories of George in 2014 vs William in 1983?

Newspaper send journalists based on supply and demand.

When William and Kate were in Australia the Daily Mail had them on the front page 10 times with 3 separate souvenir editions.

There isn't anywhere near that much interest this time around with C&C so no British reporters need to be there on the ground.

If C&C's tour is popular in New Zealand and Australia the local papers can cover it as much as they want.

Camilla can be on the 24 hour cable networks if there is demand.

For British papers they can just pick up what the wires provide I suppose.

If the Mail or Telegraph thought it could move papers covering C&C then they would be covered I guess.

Rudolph, this is not a popularity contest or a competition about who is most at the front pages of British newspapers. You and some other posters always point out that Charles and Camilla isn't as popular as William and Kate and you're right.

Charles is 66, and therefore the media don't find him interesting anymore. The reason to why he's been and still is unpopular among many in the public is because he has been a controversial Prince of Wales, he has received much criticism from the media and has the Diana baggage, but he has done/does much to improve people's lives. Even in his age, he's very god with people and was as popular with the public/media as William in the 70s and 80s both before and after he married Diana, and I think he will be an excellent King.

Camilla is 68, she's never been a beauty and therefore the media isn't very interested in her. Another reason to why she's been and still is unpopular with many in the media/public is because of Diana, but Camilla is kind, caring, warm, good with people and almost everyone who meets her likes her, and I think she will be an excellent Queen/Princess consort.

William, Kate (who I like very much) and Harry are young, handsome/beautiful, have the superstar factor and is very good with people etc is of course more popular with the media/public. This is quite natural, and something else would have been strange.

Was this more because of George and the interest in George and not W&K?

Was it more the cause of W&K playing lets recreate the 80s more than W&K on their own merits that caused the interest?

Would the interest had been the same if George was left in the U.K.?

If C&C brought the other C (Charlotte) with them, there would have been more interest than W&K's visit with George.

Children bring attention.

How many of the 100s that were accredited for W&K actually wanted to capture images of George?

How many of them went to Australia because of George?

How many of them wanted to sell stories of George in 2014 vs William in 1983?

William, Kate and Harry always gets a lot of media coverage when they visit Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc with or without George and Charlotte.

Queen Camilla, It's great that you like Charles and Camilla (I does too), but I also like William and Kate, and you seems to always write negatively about them.

Queen Camilla, It's great that you like Charles and Camilla (I does too), but I also like William and Kate, and you seems to always write negatively about them.

How is it writing negatively if I'm asking if George was the reason some of the media went to Australia?

George accompanying them was not a surprise.

fyi, If you read my posts you will find most about Catherine are positive and in defense of her.

Last edited:
Videos from Seven News

Royals visit Sydney
The Royal visit was the highlight in many parts of Sydney today.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30077421/royals-visit-sydney/

Royal fever hits Sydney
Thousands of Royal fans packed Martin Place to catch a glimpse of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall on their meet and greet with fans. Paul Kadak reports.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30078701/royal-fever-hits-sydney/

This video is from Nine News, but is posted by a private youtube account. Look at theese crowds.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/12/02/2E5C896D00000578-3314697-image-m-62_1447294166945.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3_5AI16G8

Last edited:
Isn't Camilla a lovely person.

Four of the contestants from her son's Australian TV show, "The Hot Plate", were on breakfast television this morning.

The Duchess of Cornwall has invited them to attend a birthday party she is throwing for Prince Charles tomorrow.

Four of the contestants from her son's Australian TV show, "The Hot Plate", were on breakfast television this morning.

The Duchess of Cornwall has invited them to attend a birthday party she is throwing for Prince Charles tomorrow.

These are the little things that speak volumes of Camilla! She always seem a very normal and down-to-earth woman with a sparkling personality ahd when one least expect something, zac, she amazes with one of her polite actions!:flowers:

Yes, as I said above, she is.

I often wonder about how little we, the public, know about The DOC. What do any of us know? Has she ever given an interview? There was no engagement interview that I recollect?

I often wonder about how little we, the public, know about The DOC. What do any of us know? Has she ever given an interview? There was no engagement interview that I recollect?

No, she's never given a interview.

Footage of Charles and Camilla on a day off in thirty-three degrees heat in Perth has made the evening news.

Camilla in a floral dress and parasol walking the grounds of Government House, while Charles works poolside in yellow boardshorts with a fish print, wearing a sun hat, with his green despatch box nearby.

:previous: Sun Lion, we must stitch some clips of C&C and have you commentating them. :)
You provide a sense of the mood, so keep it coming.

Is part of the issue that POW is seen as serious? He has his boxes and his work which are serious but is that what the media want? I suspect that is not what sells newspapers whereas a young couple with a very photogenic baby...?

Footage of Charles and Camilla on a day off in thirty-three degrees heat in Perth has made the evening news.

Camilla in a floral dress and parasol walking the grounds of Government House, while Charles works poolside in yellow boardshorts with a fish print, wearing a sun hat, with his green despatch box nearby.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/w...yal-tour-of-prince-charles-and-camilla-in-wa/

Charles hitting the pool
https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/151113/131115genroyalsks005wm_1b4bd4e-1b4bd50.jpg
https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/151113/131115genroyalsks004wm_1b4bbao-1b4bcm5.jpg

Camilla
https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/151113/131115genroyalsks006wm_1b4bbao-1b4bcm7.jpg

I think these pictures are just cute. I get that they are intrusive. but i still think both C and C are cute on their day off. :lol:

I've noticed a distinct change for the better in the media's coverage of this Royal Tour, compared to the last visit by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall in 2012. I must admit I was very pleasantly surprised by the massive turn out in Sydney the other day. Along with the good crowds in SA and Canberra, it seemed to inject a positive mood into the visit. It is making the news several times a day, even in Melbourne, where they did not come. They don't tend to be the main story, but neither are they relegated to the cute cat video slot after the weather. There are still lots of jokes, but they are now more affectionate than dismissive. I think the Duchess of Cornwall has come out of the shadows a bit, and people are starting to appreciate what a good sort she is. Of course the Diana fanatics still bombard comments pages with their usual complaints, but they are now increasingly drowned out by people standing up for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. In all, a Royal Visit more successful than I thought it would be, and there is still Perth to come later today, and Perth always puts on a good welcome.

If the Government hadn't goofed on the referendum question in 1999, HMQ would not still be Head of State.
I'm sorry, but it really irritates me that this excuse is still being used to explain the failure of the 1999 referendum. The government didn't "goof" on anything. It was a referendum, not a plebiscite, so it was entirely appropriate for the referendum question to summarise the changes to the Constitution required to bring about the republican model chosen by the republicans at the Constitutional Convention. At the Constitutional Convention, the republicans could have held out for a plebiscite, but they did not. They took a risk, and it failed.

More footage from the pool at Perth's Government House yesterday, was broadcast on breakfast TV this morning - this time of Camilla sporting a bright blue one-piece swimsuit.

And the fish on Charles' boardshorts are said to be dolphins.

I wonder if they were a birthday present from William or Harry that Charles brought with him from the UK.

(Cheers Muhler. )

Videos and pictures are all over the internet.

Security tried to cover the fence with black shade.

Maybe Charles' shorts were a Christmas present or a Birthday present from Camilla.

This would have been nice, but security vetoed it -

When visiting the Mounted Police on Thursday, Prince Charles asked the Police Minister if he and Camilla could visit the scene of the Lindt Cafe siege in Martin Place - only 50 metres from where the Royal Couple were due a little later.

The Police Minister escalated the request to the NSW Premier who readily agreed.

But the idea was vetoed by the the Prince's own security team at the last minute, as that part of Martin Place had not been fenced off from the public.

Today's newspaper reports that Charles appeared to grow agitated and remonstrated with a member of his staff.

Sydney would have loved Charles and Camilla to do this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom