Charles and Camilla: Tour of New Zealand and Australia - November 4-15, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:As an animal lover and proud ASPCA member it makes me happy too! I think it's fantastic that Camilla uses her position to give a voice to these poor creatures...BRAVO to her for that!:flowers:

A piece from the Guardian on the Australian leg of the trip.

Interesting article, but I don't think the author is right about Australia's attitude towards the Queen:

Coolly “accepted” or at best “respected” perhaps describes her long relationship with the Australian people.​

I've always thought it was a very affectionate relationship.

Anyway, the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall arrived earlier today. It looks like there was a good turn out in Tanunda to greet them. The ABC has just shown the Duchess of Cornwall at Government House in Adelaide with Rosie Battie, Australian of the Year, and prominent family violence campaigner. I thought the Duchess looked tired, but she spoke well.

Royal Visit (also includes a quiz, I got 9 right, though 2 were a guess).

:previous: I totally agree with you about the regard in which HM is held here. Very affectionate.

I'm glad to see a good turnout for Charles and Camilla in SA. I hope they draw good crowds everywhere else during their tour.

I just watched some of the coverage of the Remembrance Day service at the War Memorial in Canberra. A very moving occasion.

It's a miserable day down there, drizzling, though it looks as though it might not be cold, just miserable. Charles & Camilla each have umbrellas. They've sat there for at least 45 minutes so far and the service doesn't finish for another 45 minutes. I could get up and walk away, but they have to stay there till it's over. And this is just one of many, many similar occasions for them they will have to attend for the rest of their lives, under the watchful eye of the cameras. I don't envy them their job at all.

Quite a good crowd, but I think there's a good crowd for that service every year, so I'm not sure how many extras are due to the Royal presence.

It's just coming up to 7.00pm and I guess Charles and Camilla have just arrived at Admiralty House as there is a noisy helicopter hovering in the sky outside my windows.

That must be very exciting for you. ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That must be very exciting for you. ��

It's funny that different Royals, and even a U.S. President, after seeing them only on TV and in newspapers, magazines etc are actually just a few streets away and we're all going to bed and getting up at the same time etc.

I'm expecting fireworks tomorrow night though - there is some sort of function being held at Admiralty House and we often have fireworks when someone special is given dinner there.

I saw on the news that Charles and Camilla are to make a public appearance at 12.15pm in Martin Place in the centre of Sydney tomorrow - smart time as the streets will be full of office-workers out on their lunch-break.

PRINCE Charles met Australia¹s new staunchly republican prime minister today as an opinion poll showed most Australians favour abolishing the monarchy if he becomes King.

The heir to the throne was welcomed to the national capital Canberra on the tarmac at a military base by new prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who did his best to deflect questions about his support for replacing the monarch with an Australian-born head of state.

If Charles becomes King of the United Kingdom - and I have no doubt that he will be - unless our constitution has been changed, he will become the King of Australia, he said in response to a question about his previous criticism of the heir to the throne.

Asked if he were happy about that, the prime minister replied: "I am a happy person and as I said, there's never been a better time to be an Australian."
Read more: Charles meets Australia's anti-monarchy PM as poll shows collapse in royal support | Royal | News | Daily Express

Charles and Camilla charms the crowds, and as you see in some of these videos, people were very excited. Even in their age, they are almost as good with people as William, Kate, Harry and Sophie.

Videos from Seven News

Royals arrive Down Under
Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, have arrived in Adelaide for a whirl wind first leg of their Australian tour.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30051232/royals-arrive-down-under/

Royals to arrive in Sydney
The Royals will be in Sydney this evening after a day among crowds in South Australia. Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were in the Barossa enjoying a highlight for nearly every visitor the food and wine tasting. Paul Kadak reports.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30052096/royals-to-arrive-in-sydney/

Charles and Camilla wow the crowds in South Australia
Charles and Camilla were met by dignitaries, including the Governor General Peter Cosgrove, South Australia's governor Hieu Van Le and premier Jay Weatherill on their visit to South Australia. Jess Tanunda reports.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...nd-camilla-wow-the-crowds-in-south-australia/

Camilla waves a knife at Prince Charles in Australia
The Duchess of Cornwall brandishes a knife at Prince Charles during a winery tour in South Australia.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30065899/camilla-waves-a-knife-at-prince-charles-in-australia/

Royals brave wet weather for Remembrance Day
Thousands of Australians attended the national ceremony for Remembrance Day in Canberra as Prince Charles and his wife Camilla arrived, focusing their respects on the sacrifice of Indigenous soldiers. Paul Kadak reports.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30067182/royals-brave-wet-weather-for-remembrance-day/

Videos from Scanpix

Britian's Prince Charles and his wife Camilla arrive in Australia

Forhåndsvisning | Scanpix

Prince Charles and Camilla attend Australian National Remembrance Day ceremony

Prince Charles and Camilla meet the Australian PM in Canberra

Prince Charles in Australia, meets PM Malcolm Turnbull

It's just past noon and Channel Seven has started a live broadcast from the centre of Sydney as the crowds gather in Martin Place.

Large crowds five and six deep along the route Charles and Camilla will walk when they emerge from the Commonwealth Building where they currently are.

Lots of footage of this morning's earlier activities with the mounted police, with the Duchess of Cornwall dressed very nicely in cream with pearl earings.

If you notice the breeze in the footage, that is a very warm wind. We're lucky Sydney is having a "white-out" with the sky mostly covered with cloud - otherwise it would be hot if there was a clear sky and blazing sun.

Crowds are growing as people start their lunch-hour, and people are at the windows of the buildings looking out, waiting for the Royals to appear.

Charles and Camilla will be accompanied by the Premier of NSW and his wife.

If you remember the siege of the Lindt Cafe that happened here in Sydney last year - this is the same location.

British reporter Rob Jobson is in the studio filling in details to the news anchor as we wait.

(It's was just announced they are running 10 to 15 minutes late.)

He said on breakfast TV this morning that the official reporters, about six of them, flew in the same plane as Charles and Camilla around New Zealand. (Up the back of the plane, of course.)

A ninety-three year old waiting in the crowd is currently being interviewed, along with other members of the general public, as the TV station fills in time. There are a couple of reporters on the ground reporting back to the studio.

Last edited:
We've just been told that Camilla is dressed by Dior.

Big crowds now, being reported as being as big as William and Catherine drew last year.

(Tonight's State Dinner at Admiralty House will have among it's guests Rosie Batty at the personal request of the Duchess of Cornwall who was impressed when meeting her earlier.)

Last edited:
I missed it. Darn! I'll have to catch it on the news tonight.

I'm delighted that there's been so much interest in Charles and Camilla. Some would have us believe that these two are not popular and that people are only interested in William and Kate, but they are wrong! :D

This is the biggest crowds I've seen on a royal visit to Australia since the Queen's visit in 2011.

Nine Network/Nine News speak very warmly about both Charles and Camilla and seems to be more supportive of them/the monarchy than the Seven Network/Seven News and these rude Sunrise presenters. One of them said a while ago, that he didn't like the royals.

As an Australian journalist/expert said, this poll was commissioned by the republican movement and and must be taken with a pinch of salt. And it didn't show collapse in royal support. The poll asked: "When Prince Charles becomes King of Australia, will you support or oppose replacing the British monarch with an Australian citizen as Australia's head of state?" 51% of Australians sayd their would favour abolishing the monarchy rather than having Charles as King, 27% of voters opposed constitutional change with 22 per cent undecided.

It's just gone 2.15pm and with the number of helicopters in the air I think Prince Charles is out on the Harbour - heading back to Admiralty House across the water from Government House.

This is the biggest crowds I've seen on a royal visit to Australia since the Queen's visit in 2011.

The afternoon TV news is saying the crowds in Martin Place were twenty to thirty deep ROYAL NORWAY.

Last edited:
This is an excellent reception. I was in Sydney to see Will and Kate and these crowds are as large as those, I believe.

I just saw the coverage on the Channel 9 news. I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of young people were in the crowds. I'm delighted Charles and Camilla have been made so welcome in Sydney. They seemed to be enjoying themselves on the tour.

Does anyone know whether there'll be any coverage of the dinner at Admiralty House tonight?

Royal Norway was it Samantha that said that? I've heard her say that sort of thing and make mistakes about names etc. They are entitled to their own views of course but as presenters they should at least know who they are and not make a comment like that.

Back
Top Bottom