Charles and Camilla: Tour of New Zealand and Australia - November 4-15, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Thanks DukeofMarmalade.

You New Zealanders really need to do something about the wind...:p

Videos in both articles

Royals head to sunshine capital of NZ | NZNews | 3 News

Look at the crowds, this one was almost as big as those for William, Kate and Harry.
Camilla's namesake is NZ's first female scampi bred in captivity
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...-is-nzs-first-female-scampi-bred-in-captivity

The PoW's tour so far has been less than stellar and is not attracting much attention. Charles' invisible and somewhat unpopular wife doesn't help a lot either. It is impossible not to contrast them to William and Catherine or even Harry alone when they were down under.

Everyone knew that the visit of Charles and Camilla would not draw crowds or get as much media coverage as William, Kate and Harry, but those who met up was very excited, as you saw in one of the videos I posted earlier this week. And the crowds today was pretty big, as you see in the video above.

Last edited:
That also applies to the foreign press. While W&K's visit to New Zealand and Australia was well covered (certainly here in DK) I have yet to see a single line being written about C&C's visit in the newspapers.

Was this more because of George and the interest in George and not W&K?

Was it more the cause of W&K playing lets recreate the 80s more than W&K on their own merits that caused the interest?

Would the interest had been the same if George was left in the U.K.?

If C&C brought the other C (Charlotte) with them, there would have been more interest than W&K's visit with George.

Children bring attention.

Last edited:
According to Twitter only one photographer from Britain went and no reporters.

Was this more because of George and the interest in George and not W&K?

Was it more the cause of W&K playing lets recreate the 80s more than W&K on their own merits that caused the interest?

Would the interest had been the same if George was left in the U.K.?

If C&C brought the other C (Charlotte) with them, there would have been more interest than W&K's visit with George.

Children bring attention.

The impression I get here in DK is that the press coverage is focusing on W&K and George and Charlotte. In that order. Children sell of course, but most coverage focus only on W&K.
While the BRF in general, also very much C&C, get a good coverage in the Danish press. (Partly I suspect because the tabloids here copy-paste Daily Mail) It's without a doubt W&K and Harry who are the superstars from a Danish press perspective.

If you look at this overview of royal articles in the tabloid BT: BT Royale | Læs seneste nyt om de kongelige på bt.dk | www.bt.dk
You can see that the main focus in naturally on the DRF, followed by the SRF (who have always been well covered in DK) and the BRF. The other royal families follow some way further down the road.

William got a lot of coverage when he went to Australia in 2010, that had nothing to do with him recreating the 80s, that was all on his own merit. William is a popular

When W&K went to NY in 2014 600 British journalists applied for just 300 accreditation slots.

No George or Charlotte. Just team William and Catherine.

Australia and NZ is pretty far for the British press to travel plus you have the events of this week with rememberance day to cover. Charles and Camilla at least make the papers. Edward was in Canada with zero coverage from the British press. The same with Anne.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This isn't a problem! William, Kate and Harry are young, handsome/beautiful, good with people etc. It was the same with Charles in the 70s and 80s both before and after he married Diana. This is quite natural!

Well speaking for myself my daughter and I took her little boys to see the Queen when she was in Melbourne. We wouldn't go for C&C but would for Will Kate and Harry ( G&C would be a bonus )

This isn't a problem! William, Kate and Harry are young, handsome/beautiful, good with people etc. It was the same with Charles in the 70s and 80s both before and after he married Diana. This is quite natural!

Charles and Camilla are great with people.

The media it youth oriented.

Come back in 35 years time, especially if William is still POW.:whistling:

I would travel a certain distance to see Charles & Camilla, but not to see William & Kate with or without infants in tow. I am very fond of Charles and of Camilla and would love to see them in person, but I'm not going all the way to Sydney (10 hour drive each way and overnight accommodation) just for a chance to see them.

Last edited:
Well speaking for myself my daughter and I took her little boys to see the Queen when she was in Melbourne. We wouldn't go for C&C but would for Will Kate and Harry ( G&C would be a bonus )

:whistling::whistling:

Am i blind or this unpopular, boring and terribly old couple seems to bring a decent amount of excitation and a significant crowd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSQFFEpt78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4ysaLOGzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUS8Mb78Gc4

But maybe some of our kind hearted (and of course not at all biased) members here will soon discover that all these people were brought from UK by Clarence House. :lol:

Nico. I was saying who I would go to see ! You might spend a couple of hours seeing someone different. We are all different and allowed to be. Most of my friends wouldn't bother to see any royal no matter who.

No, not brought by Clarence House, Nico. However, the lower two of these links show people gathered for an official military and a sporting function involving Charles.

Charles seems to have forgotten the golden rule of modern royalty: never make comments about sports, religion, or politics.

The PoW's tour so far has been less than stellar and is not attracting much attention. Charles' invisible and somewhat unpopular wife doesn't help a lot either. It is impossible not to contrast them to William and Catherine or even Harry alone when they were down under.
Golden Rules? I was taught they only applied in a Military Mess. Moving on, I would advise you to take a really good look at an atlas and see just where New Zealand and Australia are. They are two far-flung English-speaking members of the Commonwealth.

We share a common language, common slang, and a very uncommon, almost sibling, rivalry. When it comes to sport we don't take any prisoners when we play against each other. Rugby, Cricket, Netball, we don't discriminate. However, when one is playing and the other is not, we are more likely to support each other.

If you are reading stories like the one where "Charles and Camilla got frightened by a bee" . . . really, then I guess the tour is less than stellar. But that is not what actually happened, it is what reporters wanted to happen, only video coverage exposed that outright lie. Instead, it was a very funny and endearing moment where we were treated to Charles and Camilla at their best. Laughing at what happened and probably even what could have happened. In point of fact, humour seems to almost define this tour.

As to Camilla being Charles "invisible and somewhat unpopular wife", that doesn't track here at all. She has been anything but invisible but, as that is your personal opinion of Camilla, the reality is not the point you wish to make. However, since your personal animus toward Camilla obviously colours your opinion then by all means continue to do so, but please have the courtesy to preface your opinion with IMO.

Well said, Marg! :ausflag::nzflag: I'm quite sure that Charles knows the nature of the rivalry between Australia and New Zealand when it comes to sport. I look forward to hearing what he says about the World Cup final when he gets here.

That bumble bee video was pure gold! I love watching videos of Charles & Camilla together on their rounds.

Last edited:
When I read "rude" t-shirt I wondered what the fuss what about.... Well, it is not a fine thing, but not necessarily the end of the world...

As a true animal lover, I can imagine that this news made Camilla a very, very happy woman. :D

Back
Top Bottom