Charles and Camilla: Tour of New Zealand and Australia - November 4-15, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I have just be looking at the newspaper Webb pages and there's nothing on them. News.com. ,the age , the herald sun. Might be some tomorrow it's been a very busy day for news following yesterdays Melbourne Cup and then some terrible things happening as well.

I wish they were going to Brisbane. I'd love to see them but Sydney's too far.

Or Melbourne! There must be something wrong with us down here, all the royals have been skipping right past Melbourne in recent times :p

Or Melbourne! There must be something wrong with us down here, all the royals have been skipping right past Melbourne in recent times :p

No way! ;) I would never skip past the might JessRulz and Roslyn!

^ I was thinking about this when I saw the news of the visit. I live near Melbourne and Victoria has indeed been avoided again.

Of course the different States have to become involved in a Royal visit, issue an formal invitation and take part in planning the itinerary. They are also up for part of the cost. I don't think the current Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews is a monarchist, so the non-invitation for Charles and Camilla is understandable if disappointing. However, Dennis Napthine, the man he defeated, a Liberal, was, and still Kate and William didn't come! It's a mystery!

Last edited:
Think you mean Daniel Andrews and yes no royal visits while he's around

Wonder why Camilla was absent during the state reception. ...

The Duchess looks rested today - and that picture of her laughing at the bumblebee is great. They have a nice relationship that shows in small ways.
Dunedin always does a nice turnout, I think for the royals. The "royals must eat turkey every night" comment was cute.
How popular is turkey in NZ and Australia? Is it really the "new white meat?" I ate at a US chain restaurant yesterday and there were 4-5 turkey entrees/sandwiches on offer. That's a lot - even for the home continent of the bird.

A nine pic gallery of the Prince of Wales and the now infamous bumblebee: Se billederne: Prins Charles i vild bi-panik - Royale | www.bt.dk
These still shots are absolutely terrific and the look on Charles' face and Camilla's laughing response to his predicament is a riot. Having lifted the flap of his suit jacket to ascertain the threat, he responded with his legendary sangfroid.

But let's face it guys when a bee is threatening your unmentionables, or in Charles case, the royal crotch, what can you do. Most men would have leapt to their feet sending the Tuatara flying, but not our Charles. Oh no, but with some small haste, he placed it back in its box and stood up. The best thing of all was the laughter. Camilla was cracking up and so was he while trying not to annoy the bumble bee.

The pair of them are a class act and continue to share their wit and laughter with those fortunate enough to meet them. The photo below is my favourite!

http://www.radionz.co.nz/assets/news_crops/6180/eight_col_DSC05500.JPG?1446701073

MARG, how big/small is the media coverage of this visit?

:previous: In the lead up you'd never know they were coming but, now they are here and they are following them. Okay, most are pretty shallow but their sanguine arrival at Wellington Airport under less than ideal conditions made quite an impression, especially Camilla with her pashmina tied somewhat inelegantly over her hair. It was the smiling and laughter which caught people's notice.

Dunedin was covered pretty well and the funny but infamous Bumble Bee landing on the "royal crotch" and their antics really made the news both interesting and showcased Charles conservation interests and the arrival of the Bee let us all see a happy, laughing married couple that they probably didn't expect.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03492/potd-charles-zeala_3492417k.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03492/charles-bee-close-_3492454k.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03492/potd-charles_3492421k.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03492/potd-charles-2_3492425k.jpg

Obviously The Telegraph never even looked at the photos before writing the leader: " Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall take fright as a large ... as a large bumble bee (bottom left ) briefly lands on the Prince's trousers." I certainly didn't see any sign of fright and from the looks of things, neither did Charles and Camilla. What a bunch of wowsers.

Today (Friday here) is a rest day, but they met with the All Blacks Coach and Captain this morning and intend to go to the All Black Official Welcome Home.

Stuff said:
http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201511/1600_phpg0ekmh06-dmp-ritchie16.jpg What would one have one thought? When

All Black great Sonny Bill Williams met the man who could be king the handshake was a little - well - urban.

On the steps of Parliament Williams - wearing wraparound shades and a backwards cap - went for a handshake with Prince Charles, who was wearing a grey suit.

The handshake though was far from formal - a style more associated with Kiwi mates around a barbecue than meeting royalty.

What his Royal Highness thought of the shake is a matter for his royal mind. At least it wasn't a fist-bump. PHOTO: DAVID WHITE/FAIRFAX NZ

World champion All Blacks wowed by Wellington (and Prince Charles and Camilla).

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/video/production/1446769210260-Priunce Charles and the All Blacks.mp4

You can tell by the crowd that they were not unpopular party crashers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all that, Marg. The video was good. After that, I am looking forward to seeing what Charles is going to say to the Aussies next week. :lol:

I'm pleased to see Charles & Camilla getting so much attention. After the stories about William & Kate being the favourites, it's good to see the oldies receiving so much attention and such a warm welcome. I hope they receive a similarly enthusiastic welcome here.

Charles seems to have forgotten the golden rule of modern royalty: never make comments about sports, religion, or politics.

The PoW's tour so far has been less than stellar and is not attracting much attention. Charles' invisible and somewhat unpopular wife doesn't help a lot either. It is impossible not to contrast them to William and Catherine or even Harry alone when they were down under.

Charles seems to have forgotten the golden rule of modern royalty: never make comments about sports, religion, or politics.

The PoW's tour so far has been less than stellar and is not attracting much attention. Charles' invisible and somewhat unpopular wife doesn't help a lot either. It is impossible not to contrast them to William and Catherine or even Harry alone when they were down under.

It's my impression that Charles and Camilla are seen as interim figures and as such secondary to K&W. And that perception is increasing as the years go by.
And then there is also the glamour factor.
While you can say many good things about Charles and Camilla, glamorous and youth-factor are not among the first words that springs to mind. So less interest...

That also applies to the foreign press. While W&K's visit to New Zealand and Australia was well covered (certainly here in DK) I have yet to see a single line being written about C&C's visit in the newspapers.

I agree with those comments I don't think there will be much coverage in Australia. Not much at all here in Victoria seeing they are not coming here

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom