Charles & Camilla: Tour of Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea - November 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I think theres a difference between being taken to heart and being given a chance and it is the latter to which I truly refer.

As you say, those who are resolute in their prejudice are unlikely to re-evaluate their opinions. They are content to hold a grudge against a woman they do not know and never shall. Says a lot for the irrationality of some, but that's the way it is.

The Australian Monarchist Leageue website had all the information regarding their itinerary from rather early on in their visit I noticed, but I found it odd that the Governor-General's website nor the Prime Minister's website had much to say in regards to the engagements of the royal couple.

On another board I have read of a poster who is planning on going to see them in NZ with the express purpose of protesting against Camilla and has been able to plan her visits as she has known for so much longer than us when and where they are going to go.

There is something frightfully disturbing about this kind of behaviour. Infact, I think it speaks volumes as to the person's mental state which is evidently in need of clinical assessment. To orchestrate a divised plan so as to target a person who is unknown to you and who has bid you no ill will is unquestionably finatical. May this self righteous woman be black listed having made her initital protest heard, should she unfortunately gain access to Camilla during her time in New Zealand.

As for the newspapers, it's not the quantity of the coverage, but the quality of the coverage that I find telling. The tone was unexpectedly positive in comparison to what I had expected.

We will see her again - no doubt - but I am not so sure that that many people have taken her to heart - the died in the wool monarchists who were already inclined to like her have found her exactly as they were told she was - warm and caring. Others who have met her have found the same thing but...I still remember the Channel 7 Morning Show team - all of whom were invited to met them and three of the four said they didn't go because of what happened to Diana - publicly that is what they said last Wednesday morning - I think that is very much what happened - those who were interested beforehand went and saw her but those that were already opposed still refused.

As I said last week I would have loved to have gone but only getting three days notice as to when they were going to be somewhere meant that it wasn't possible to get the time off - and this was done, I believe, to restrict the amount of time to prevent the possibility of protests against her.

On another board I have read of a poster who is planning on going to see them in NZ with the express purpose of protesting against Camilla and has been able to plan her visits as she has known for so much longer than us when and where they are going to go.

I don't take a lot of notice of the papers anymore as I don't know anyone who buys a paper but reads them online - and finding articles hasn't been all that easy - usually down the page - never the headlines - easily missable if you weren't looking for them. They may have made the front page on Saturday but as I didn't see anyone with a paper I couldn't tell. They certainly weren't the lead in the online editions at any time during the week.

News coverage has been limited in my opinion - a short snippet to show what they did and with the Melbourne Cup race obviously leading the news on Tuesday and the US presidential elections on Wednesday.

I have to disagree a little with the news coverage. The 9 and 10 channels have had a good 5 minutes worth, reporting on what they have been doing, each evening. Perhaps because it is the 4.30 shows you may have missed them because you were at work? They have also been on each night on the 6pm timeslot, not bad at all.

Hi Iluvbertie.

I wouldn't put too much store by our Australian morning TV presenters and what they have to say about matters Royal.

I still remember the coverage we had of William and Catherine's wedding were everyone got very excited when the cameras panned the arriving guests, with them declaring Dodi Fayed was attending - "that's Dodi, Dodi Fayed" etc., on and on until some-one told them that Dodi had died in the tunnel crash in Paris with Diana several years earlier.

Then they started chorusing it was Mohamed Fayed - "Mohamed Fayed, Mohamed Fayed is at the wedding". (Anyone having heard Mr al-Fayed's claims about the involvement by Prince Philip and Prince Charles in the deaths of his son and Diana over the years, would realise he probably wouldn't have been invited.)

These TV "stars" seemed happy with that idea though - that Mohamed Fayed was at Diana's son's wedding.

(It was actually the King of Tonga - I don't think they've realised it yet.)

I'm in agreement with Madame Royal and fearghas re the coverage of C and C's tour.

Lengthy, and very positive, reports each night on the news. The news anchor's smiling broadly as they introduce the on-the-ground reporters, and the news of that day's tour in the first three stories of the evening bulletins each night.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, Saturday's paper had Prince Charles at Bondi in the largest photo and article on the front page - and this is our very "serious" paper - not given to "lightweight" stories.

The features pages had lengthy pieces - whole pages - re the falling away of support for the republican movement, and discussions re Camilla's role should anything happen to Charles during his reign.

Also, there were photos and reports in each day's paper, (all three of Sydney's papers), regarding the previous day's activities.

Your mention of the person planning to travel to New Zealand reminds me of the time Lady Colin Campbell was a guest on the Oprah Winfrey show.

As some-one "in the know" who saw Diana regularly on the charity circuit, and who lived in the same circles for those years, mixing with the same people, she was an author with more clout than others who had penned more flattering books about the late Princess.

However, despite being quite a strong character herself, Lady Colin was totally over-whelmed by the almost rabid response of the American audience to anything she had to say.

I found this astounding, as although this was long before a lot of the dirty linen was aired, we in Australia, while still very much favouring Diana at the time, knew no-one is so pure, and the other side so bad, and that Diana wasn't just a helpless victim of her own life. But, Oprah's audience wouldn't hear a word against Diana.

Also, these morning TV persons certainly made a feast - daily for several weeks - of Catherine, Duchess of Cambrige's French nude embarrasement, (and before that Harry's Vegas nude embarasement), - picking over it again and again. Any loyalty expressed by them to Diana that you heard, sounds a bit hollow to me.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Now, that's such a lovely article! I enjoyed every word. :)
I always thought the Duchess is a lively, funny and witty person, and I'm glad the real deal matches my opinion.
Loved all the little stories. And would have been thrilled to be a fly on the wall during the Groovy Granny parties.

Does anyone what brooch Camilla is wearing with her poppy?

I started reading Miss Kathy Lette's article with trepidation, waiting for her to turn and stick a knife into her hostess's back. That is what she usually does when she writes for an Australian paper, or appears on Australian TV. She is certainly very amusing, but she is quite a hypocrite when it comes to the royal family. She is very quick to accept their hospitality, and equally quick to slag them off in Australia. I have little to no respect for her as a journalist.

Does anyone what brooch Camilla is wearing with her poppy?

It's the stick insect brooch and she has had it pre-duchess time. It reportedly was a gift from her dad who was a WWII hero and POW. So it would have personal meaning for her, today.

I know people think these bugs are icky - but at least in the US - these insects, related to katydids, are beneficial for your garden and eat other insect pests that can ruin your roses or veg crop.

A number of Camilla's personal brooches are quirky like this one is. I enjoy the joie de vivre they show!

Last edited:
I started reading Miss Kathy Lette's article with trepidation, waiting for her to turn and stick a knife into her hostess's back. That is what she usually does when she writes for an Australian paper, or appears on Australian TV. She is certainly very amusing, but she is quite a hypocrite when it comes to the royal family. She is very quick to accept their hospitality, and equally quick to slag them off in Australia. I have little to no respect for her as a journalist.

I agree entirely, Tom. It's amazing how fast these self-professed 'republicans' rush to Buckingham Palace or Clarence House when they're invited to attend a dinner or reception. Put a republican in front of the Queen and they go weak at the knees.

Ms Lette is certainly not the first to display such brazen hypocrisy when it comes to the royals.

It's the stick insect brooch and she has had it pre-duchess time. It reportedly was a gift from her dad who was a WWII hero and POW. So it would have personal meaning for her, today.

I know people think these bugs are icky - but at least in the US - these insects, related to katydids, are beneficial for your garden and eat other insect pests that can ruin your roses or veg crop.

A number of Camilla's personal brooches are quirk like this one is. I enjoy the joie de vivre they show!

Thank you, AdmirerUS. I thought it looked like an insect, but was afraid if I posted that it would come across as disrespectful.

Thanks to one and all for the links to the Remembrance Day service in New Zealand. Just one question...Which uniform from the New Zealand Armed Forces was Charles wearing today?

I obviously don't know the NZ uniforms as well as I do my own Canadian Armed Forces, so... :)

Thanks in advance!!

A number of Camilla's personal brooches are quirky like this one is. I enjoy the joie de vivre they show!

This is one of my favourite brooches owned by Camilla. I think it's a fantastic piece of craftmanship and the design is well inspired. It's gorgeous and unusual.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Charles Man in his 70s has been arrested by Police in NZ for planning an attack on Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall in Aukland

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal #Charles TVNZ broadcaster said the 74yr old "anti-royalist protestor" had been spotted on CCTV carrying an unidentified item

#royal #Charles It has been reported that the man was "nowhere near" members of the royal family at the time of his arrest.

#royal #Charles The man was arrested before Charles and Camilla met well-wishers in Aukland and will appear in Court in Auckland on Tuesday

My - what a day.

That downpour would have convinced me that at least the people who showed up really supported the Monarchy. Does anyone know why someoen would dress as a wolf and try to pet the Prince (odd, just odd)? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/12/article-2231643-15FB9BF8000005DC-238_634x423.jpg

They got to see the play of Harry McClary - Yay. A female rugger hugged and sweated on the prince - Yay. Charles took to the pool (those photos were cute, I thought). He also tried his hand at hooking a hanging heraldic rug. And he really gave it a try, showing he should not quit his day job.

Charles gave my favorite quote of the year: 'I am a walking demonstration of the ability of New Zealand wool to disguise a rapidly disintegrating and ageing body.' (DM excerpt)

Someone wanted to attack them.

And finally, they sat down to dinner with Camilla wearing a dress more likely to attract an emu than the approval of W Magazine. Still, the frock did have a Maori feel to it - so bless her for trying. :)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

And finally, they sat down to dinner with Camilla wearing a dress more likely to attract an emu than the approval of W Magazine. Still, the frock did have a Maori feel to it - so bless her for trying.

Or, being in New Zealand and not Australia, perhaps her evening gown would be more likely to attract a Kiwi ;)

And although it's a fairly unattractive gown, I can appreciate what Camilla was trying to convey through the use colour.

Or, being in New Zealand and not Australia, perhaps her evening gown would be more likely to attract a Kiwi ;)

And although it's a fairly unattractive gown, I can appreciate what Camilla was trying to convey through the use colour.

Thanks - I can never remember where emus come from - other than my zoo. I agree that the attempt to please with the dress is worth noting.

Thanks - I can never remember where emus come from - other than my zoo. I agree that the attempt to please with the dress is worth noting.

I don't know what emus like, but I certainly agree with Prince Charles' taste. :D

Oh dear - I see what you mean about the gown! Well, maybe it was better in person - or some other nice thing that was said. Might have silenced some protesters ... Hmm ...

I love Camilla's gown - it looks fanstastic - colour and design.

I love too but without this cape. Very "Chicago" (musical :))

I personally think he looks very good for a man in his mid-60s - far from looking older I think he looks fine. He certainly doesn't look any older than my friends and colleagues in their mid-60s.

I personally think he looks very good for a man in his mid-60s - far from looking older I think he looks fine. He certainly doesn't look any older than my friends and colleagues in their mid-60s.

I guess it depends on which spot on the age line you're looking at him from.

From my spot, I think he looks fit and trim and healthy. Compared to lets say.... Steve Tyler and Alice Cooper (rockers that you can definitely see the effects of sex, drugs and rock n' roll on), Charles is looking very good for his 64 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom