Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cut1me

Aristocracy
Its just been announced that Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles are getting married, they just announced it on British news. The date is set for April 6th

what do people think?

is Camilla's husband alive?if yes they cant married due to the law
ps.i'm shocked!

from AOL news

The Prince of Wales is to marry Camilla Parker Bowles, Clarence House has announced.

A full statement is to be released by the household shortly.

No date has been released at this stage, but reports this morning suggested it would be April 6.

The move will end years of speculation on their relationship which has spanned decades.

Mrs Parker Bowles's current position meant her status was dogged with problems, including her seating at social functions away from the heir to the throne.

They first met at a Windsor polo match in 1970.

Last June, Mrs Parker Bowles was mentioned in the Prince's accounts - moving into a new realm of acceptance.

This week, there was further controversy over the cost of her lifestyle and how it was funded by the Prince.

A key question to be resolved will be how she will be addressed.

Will it be as the Princess of Wales, and when Charles becomes King, Queen Camilla?

clear.gif

cute_girl said:
is Camilla's husband alive?if yes they cant married due to the law
ps.i'm shocked!

I think he is alive, but apparently Camilla's marriage was annulled

From Hello Magazine website

Prince Charles and his long-time companion Camilla Parker Bowles are to become man and wife. Clarence House has put an end to the speculation about their future plans by confirming the two will walk down the aisle later this year.

A precise date for their nuptials is yet to be announced, but April 6 is said to be the likely choice. The news comes after literally years of public debate as to whether the two should make their vows. Opinion polls have suggested the public is in favour of them marrying, but there is less sympathy for the idea of Camilla becoming queen.

While the ramifications for Charles' ascension remain unclear, the former Archbishop of Canterbury has given his blessing to the union. "He is heir to the throne and he loves her," said Lord Carey last year. "The natural thing is that they should get married."

I just found out, thanks to a little news message at the bottom of the TV screen. At what time is the "official announcement" supposed to be? I really don't know what to say. Isn't Camilla Catholic? Does that then mean that if they got married, Charles won’t become king? I guess we will have to wait and see.

I read in several posts in prince william's threads that the kings wife cant be a catholic or a divorcee if her husband is alive,how could it be possible now?

Is she catholic?...if she doesn't convert to anglican then (I'm quite sure) Charles won't be the next in throne....(I read in point de vue that prince Michael of kent has lost his right of succession while his wife, princess of Kent, refuse to convert to Anglican).
Is this news also indicated that Wil becomes the next queen's successor?

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
Is she catholic?...if she doesn't convert to anglican then (I'm quite sure) Charles won't be the next in throne....(I read in point de vue that prince Michael of kent has lost his right of succession while his wife, princess of Kent, refuse to convert to Anglican).
Is this news also indicated that Wil becomes the next queen's successor?
She is Catholic and I don't think she will convert. I think that Charles will relinquish his right to the throne for her, which means that William will be next in line.

camilla is catholic she was married in a roman catholic church and she is a divorcee (her husband is still alive) that should means charles shouldnt be king why change the rules just for him. i just hope camilla doesnt become queen i for one dont like her and really dont want her as my queen many people i know have said the same as me

once the announcement came in people have been talking none stop about it. The official statement from clarence house still hasnt come out.

It seems from what i've heard so far about it on the TV that people are not very happy about it. Apparently there wasnt going to be any news about their marriage until after the inquest of Diana's death. Most people are sayin its too soon, that diana has only been dead for 7 years. also that Charles should not be king anymore.

Raia said:
camilla is catholic she was married in a roman catholic church and she is a divorcee (her husband is still alive) that should means charles shouldnt be king why change the rules just for him. i just hope camilla doesnt become queen i for one dont like her and really dont want her as my queen many people i know have said the same as me

apparently they said that Camilla is actually not a divorcee that she had her marriage annulled. LOL one of the presenters who was talking about this was shocked as she was saying how can their wedding have been annulled if Camilla has 2 children

Camilla is NOT catholic. Her ex husband is a catholic and they married in a catholic church but Camilla is, was and always has been Anglican.

I think its great and wish them evey happiness

well, if it is true, congrats to the groom and best wishes for the bride, i wish them both well so long as they're both happy, which is all that counts.

i think its to soon yes 7years is a long time but for what camilla did it isnt long enough camilla was the main reason that diana and charles marriage didnt work if she wasnt around maybe it could of work who knows. camilla should no way become princess of wales what ever title she gets i dont think many people will call her by it camilla will always and forever be know as the one who helped ruin diana and her marriage and the british public will never forgive her for that we loved diana and still do. what i've seen on tv so far not many people are for the idea most people are against it

Surprising news ... So the queen said YES :)

We remark in recent years, royals did some break in their wedding like marrying divorced woman, woman with a child, a citizen ... so Charles wedding to Camilla goes with the same wind.

Last edited:
What a suprise! I didn't count on that now. So soon after that tax story... Well, I think he comes to his goal with the wedding. He loves Camilla and now he has the change to spend his whole life with her as his wife. But I hope he doesn't become King with Camilla as Queen. This place belongs to Diana and I can image that the British people don't find that that good. We will see.

wymanda said:
Camilla is NOT catholic. Her ex husband is a catholic and they married in a catholic church but Camilla is, was and always has been Anglican.

I think its great and wish them evey happiness

Thank you wymanda. I always thought she was. My (big) mistake.

Charles and Camilla should be ashamed of themselves.
I'm schocked!

she will be known as the duchess of cornwall not princess of wales. the news is about to come on, i'll see if they have anything new to report

Camilla is Anglican, and her wedding to Andrew Parker Bowles took place in an Anglican church. She's divorced from him; the marriage wasn't annulled. Considering that it was a C of E wedding and Charles is in line to be the head of the C of E, which doesn't condone remarriage to a person who was involved in the breakup of the first marriage - as Charles was with respect to the Parker Bowles marriage - it's going to be interesting to see how the church rationalises this.

I suppose the feeling is that he's old enough and his son is popular enough that it doesn't really matter what he does because he's becoming more and more irrelevant - the Queen is still healthy and popular, and William is making headlines all the time. And if his current situation is creating problems and questions about finances, then marrying will put a stop to some of them. It'll certainly be interesting to see how things like titles and public appearances are handled.

well to all the naysayers out there, it was just confirmed by buckingham palace that the Queen has given her blessing and that they are engaged to be married. all and all i'm not shocked b/c i saw this one coming.

Elspeth said:
Camilla is Anglican, and her wedding to Andrew Parker Bowles took place in an Anglican church. She's divorced from him; the marriage wasn't annulled. Considering that it was a C of E wedding and Charles is in line to be the head of the C of E, which doesn't condone remarriage to a person who was involved in the breakup of the first marriage - as Charles was with respect to the Parker Bowles marriage - it's going to be interesting to see how the church rationalises this.
QUOTE]

well on the news it said the marriage was annulled

8th of April in windsor castle. when Charles becomes king she will not be queen

Prince Charles to marry Camilla

Prince Charles is set to marry his long-term partner Camilla Parker Bowles, Clarence House says.

No wedding date has been confirmed at this stage, but reports have suggested 6 April is one possible date.

The move will end years of speculation on a relationship which has spanned the decades since they first met in 1971.

The Prince of Wales, who is the heir to the throne, was previously married to Diana, Princess of Wales, who died in a car crash in Paris in 1997.

The princess famously referred to Mrs Parker Bowles as one of the contributing factors in the breakdown of her marriage to Charles.

Religious issues

The couple, who had two sons - princes William and Harry - had divorced when Diana died in Paris, eight years ago.

Conservative leader Michael Howard said he was "delighted" at the news, but Downing Street has refused to comment until a full statement is released by Clarence House.

Mrs Parker Bowles' current position has meant that her status was dogged with problems, including her seating at social functions away from her partner.
Last June, Mrs Parker Bowles was mentioned in the Prince's accounts, which marked a new realm of acceptance.

The marriage is likely to be a sensitive issue because Mrs Parker Bowles is divorced and her former husband is still alive.

If he became king, Charles would be the supreme governor of the Church of England and some Anglicans remain opposed to the remarriage of divorcees.

The church is officially neutral on the issue, but former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey recently urged the couple to marry.

BBC Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "This is a step not without considerable risk by the Royal Family.

Legislation change?

"They will be watching very carefully to see how public opinion unfolds."

He said the prospect of Mrs Parker Bowles taking on a subsidiary title like Duchess of Cornwall, but not becoming Princess of Wales and then Queen was "not as easy as it sounds".

"There would have to be primary legislation to achieve such a result as that. Not only in this country but in all the other countries in which the Prince of Wales will supposedly be king," he added.

Last year, a poll indicated that more Britons support Prince Charles marrying Camilla Parker Bowles than oppose it.

Public opinion

Of those who responded to a Populus poll, 32% said they would support Charles if he remarried, while 29% were opposed.

However, most people - 38% - said they did not care, while 2% had no opinion.

Mrs Parker Bowles has joined the Prince at numerous engagements in recent years - mostly at evening events for The Prince's Trust.

Clarence House staff were at pains to point out that she attended these events in a private capacity.

But the impending wedding will now allow her to be at the Prince's side full-time in an official capacity.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4252795.stm

Last edited:
it's big news on cnn - the us edition, both online and on tv...which i find funny b/c they barely cover the royals here anymore on tv since diana died, which i find sad.

UK's Charles to Marry Camilla Parker Bowles
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's heir to the throne Prince Charles revealed on Thursday he will marry Camilla Parker Bowles, sparking intense debate about whether his divorced, longtime lover should become queen.

A top aide confirmed the shock news to Reuters. Charles' office promised to announce more details of the wedding soon, which is expected to take place at Windsor Castle, west of London, on April 6.

Parker Bowles is the great love of Charles' life — the pair met in their 20s at a polo match — but the 58-year-old mother of two has faced an uphill struggle to rival his former wife, the late Princess Diana, in the public's affection.

Charles, 56, was divorced in 1996 from Diana, who blamed "rottweiler" Parker Bowles and the prying media for the break-up. Diana died in a Paris car crash in 1997.

Since then, and after years of choreographed appearances, Parker Bowles has been accepted as Charles' partner.

Charles is due to assume the throne after his mother Queen Elizabeth. As monarch, he would also assume a titular role as head of the Church of England, which is divided over the propriety of marrying divorcees.

Charles' sons William and Harry, in line to assume the throne after their father, have now accepted Parker Bowles, who shares official rooms with him at his London residence.

QUEEN CAMILLA?

"The issue is whether she will take the full style and title of Princess of Wales and whether any children would have any place in the succession," Dr David Starkey, historian and constitutional expert, told Reuters.

"She would have to take the status of Prince Charles and ultimately that of queen unless there is legislation passed to the contrary," he said.

Charles and Camilla had a two-year love affair after first meeting in 1971 but Camilla then married cavalry officer Andrew Parker Bowles, divorcing him in 1995.

Charles admitted in 1994 that he and Camilla had resumed their affair after his marriage had irretrievably broken down.

Diana memorably said on national television "there were three of us in the marriage, so it was a bit crowded," while he was secretly taped sharing intimate pillow talk with his lover.

Biographer Penny Junor said: "This will divide opinion and some people will think it is the end of the world. But once it has happened, people will accept it.

"He's very much in love with her and she with him. That's just the way it is."

(Additional reporting by Michael Holden)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=486999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom