The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
I'm really surprised at the amount of anti-Camilla sentiment here. I know she's not as glamourous or as media savvy as Diana was. But that's the point- this is ANOTHER PERSON!

If Diana were still alive, my guess is that an engagement announcement from her would be met with a lot of well wishes. I'm surprised we don't offer the same respect to Charles. Yes, he had an affair during his marriage. So did Diana! I can't understand the blatant double standard that keeps coming up in public opinion.

Camilla may not be the woman we would choose, but that's the point. It's Charles' choice who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Not ours.

They deserve a chance. Would it kill us to give it to them?

Eliza
Agree. I second that emotion!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Let me start by saying that I sincerely wish the couple the best for their future together.

However I cannot say that I am thrilled about their marriage. <snip>

In many ways it seems as their marriage is like rewarding bad behavior.They certainly deserve each other.
THAT'S IT! I was very upset when I heard the news and it seemed to be odd that I would react so badly...even though I miss Diana (as much as you can "miss" someone you didn't really know). But it does seem like he treated Diana badly, he cheated (by some accounts) even during their courtship and engagement not to mention their marriage, and I personally feel that his behavior led to her poor decisions/behavior...which led ultimately to her death with a drunken driver and Dodi. She dies. And now, somehow, he and the woman he committed adultery with are being rewarded with happily ever after? It just DOES seem like bad behavior being rewarded.

Thank goodness she isn't going to be Queen, at least. I couldn't stand it.

I'm also shocked that the family and the government will allow a civil ceremony...although maybe it's because they won't be producing any heirs at their ages?

Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Courtier

First Offical Photo

from yahoo.com

Nice picture but look funny on gloves....weird....

http://uk.fc.yahoo.com/050210/46/fc7pr.html

I am sorry if someone put same my post...

Karla
Old 02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Commoner

you make a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by monos26
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy for them. They obviously love each other. As much as Diana was loved, it just really sounds like Charles and her should never have gotten married. Luckily, there is now more emphasis on the English royals being happy in their marriages, as there is the other royal houses.
Mette-Marit comes to mind. She wasn't even divorced, just a single mom, think of what the press and the peers would have done to THAT 30 years ago. I think she's doing a lovely job as CP, perhaps Camilla will too. Although, I'm not sure I'll ever get past thinking of her as rotweiller. I think many people who were alive to see Diana struggle emotionally, etc., in the 80s-90s will have a hard time getting past that as well...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

First apperance

I just saw them at Windsor castle. She was wearing a long dress that was either red or pink I couldn't tell. The collar odf his tux was red which I found really odd. As she was walking by the press a reporter asked if Charles got down on his knee to propose to which she said "of course". Sorry I don't have any pics but I saw it on TV. Also to those of you in the US MSNBC will have a special on the pair tonight at 9:00.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
I'm really surprised at the amount of anti-Camilla sentiment here. I know she's not as glamourous or as media savvy as Diana was. But that's the point- this is ANOTHER PERSON!

If Diana were still alive, my guess is that an engagement announcement from her would be met with a lot of well wishes. I'm surprised we don't offer the same respect to Charles. Yes, he had an affair during his marriage. So did Diana! I can't understand the blatant double standard that keeps coming up in public opinion.

Camilla may not be the woman we would choose, but that's the point. It's Charles' choice who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Not ours.

They deserve a chance. Would it kill us to give it to them?

Eliza
I agree that they deserve a chance...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

This may be jumping the gun a bit as there is still a lot of reaction to the news of the engagement itself: But when Charles and Camilla get married in April, what will the guest list be like?

I certainly don't expect a wedding guest list as grand and as extensive as when he married Diana, but can we expect something smaller and more private like what Lady Davina Windsor had when she married Gary Lewis? Especially since this is a civil service yet on the other hand can we expect something a bit more grand because he is the future king?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by marezdote
I just saw them at Windsor castle. She was wearing a long dress that was either red or pink I couldn't tell. The collar odf his tux was red which I found really odd. As she was walking by the press a reporter asked if Charles got down on his knee to propose to which she said "of course". Sorry I don't have any pics but I saw it on TV. Also to those of you in the US MSNBC will have a special on the pair tonight at 9:00.

Her is her dress. The pic is from http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=1954158

Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Majesty

Good questions, Alexandria. I think it will be the second. Bigger than just a regular private ceremony because he is the future king. Some non-British royals. I assume the Greeks will be there for sure. Also I was wondering on media coverage. I wonder how they are going to handle that.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Her is her dress. The pic is from http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=1954158]
Yeah, what´s with that red collar? Otherwise, Camilla looks good and happy.
Caught Charles at a bad time. Well, I mean he is looking down.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This may be jumping the gun a bit as there is still a lot of reaction to the news of the engagement itself: But when Charles and Camilla get married in April, what will the guest list be like?
They're talking about a private family affair in the castle, so the guest list will probably be pretty short and restricted to people who are close to the families. I expect there'll be more guests at the service afterwards, but if the royal family has any sense, those guests will be low-profile individuals who are connected with charities and other good causes as well as more of the personal friends of the couple.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Isn't that red collar something to do with a special "Windsor Coat" designed by Prince Philip and worn by male family members who he invites to be able to do so? Or am I thinking of something else?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Majesty

It reminds me of a hunting coat that men wear when they go out hunting. At least that shade of red does. Any sense? No, I think they should invite anybody they want to just not people who will cause an embarrassment. I guess that kind of limits the options right there...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Nobility

The red collar and cuffs are worn by male members of the royal famiily with evening wear when they are at Windsor Castle. It's also been reported that the blessing in St. George's will probably be televised and the church will be full.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Nobility

Camilla's ring has one of the biggest diamonds I've ever seen.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The happy couple at Windsor Castle tonight - the first spot of the ring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP758057_guest.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	92354   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP758062_guest.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	92355   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP758063_guest.jpg
Views:	2611
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	92356   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP758065_guest.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	92357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AP758069_guest.jpg
Views:	3461
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	92358  
Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Congratulations to the couple.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria

I certainly don't expect a wedding guest list as grand and as extensive as when he married Diana, but can we expect something smaller and more private like what Lady Davina Windsor had when she married Gary Lewis? Especially since this is a civil service yet on the other hand can we expect something a bit more grand because he is the future king?
I think it will be a very tiny wedding. I think if it was too big, it would cause more problems, i.e. spending money on a wedding that many people disagree with. It may even be smaller than Davina's, as this the second marriage for both of them, but that's just my thought on the matter.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
The red collar and cuffs are worn by male members of the royal famiily with evening wear when they are at Windsor Castle. It's also been reported that the blessing in St. George's will probably be televised and the church will be full.
How many people more or less fit in St. George's?

I had also seen a press mention that it will be a discrete wedding with just family and friends. We'll all find out soon enough.

I must say from the photos, she is radiating happiness.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Nobility

The civil ceremony will be totally private but choosing St. George's for the blessing instead of the private chapel in the Castle suggests quite a lot of people will witness this. Also, unlike Davina, Charles is the next Monarch so there does have to be a degree of national involvement in his wedding.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, engagement, prince charles, prince of wales