Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australis said:
Unbeliveable!!! :eek:

They are too old for this!!! Sorry people but in my humble opinion they both look so stupid!!!!! She is the most ugly woman that I ever saw in my whole life; honestly I can not understand what he sees on her.
I see what she sees on him but no way I can understand why on earth he is getting marry to a woman that!!!!!!

Anyway the whole idea gives me goosebumps......like a horror movie........oh my gosh!! she is so but sooooo ugly.

I agree with you. She is really ugly and I usually never say this, but now...come on....
One thing I understand...they are soulmates. Good for them, but I think Charles should let his son to be the next king. He should do the same as his uncle...to abdicate.
I am wondering...what exactly the queen thinks? In my opinion the Duke and the Queen are not really happy about this.

Please remember to be civil in expressing your feelings about this situation or the individuals involved.

There is no need for name calling. There are much better ways to express how you feel about Camilla, Charles, their relationship or their appearances and the like. Name calling doesn't propel discussions such as this one forward nor can we learn to see other people's opinons or view points on this matter.

Alexandria,
Royal Forums Administrator

I don't think it is right to call anyone ugly. BUt I have to say that the official pictures will be so different to see.

anyway I really think charles should abdicate. B/c of this many excuses and bending of many rules have come about, which compromises the very institution of the monarchy. This is supposed to be a model monarchy. However I kind don't think he should abdicate cuz that would put more pressure on WIlliam and that is no good.

And I don't think QEII and Prince Phillipe are happy at all about this, but how can they not allow their son to marry.

I personally wish them happiness in their life together, but it does bother me quite a bit knowing that she was the main reason for the divorce. Diana was no angel, but she was used by Charles and Camilla IMHO. But, looking at the other side of the coin, their love has been strong for over 30 years. We can't keep saying "should have, could have, would have". They will reap what they have sown, but again I wish them well. They seem to be so happy together. How long it will be, only God knows. I feel sorry for the boys, because it must be in the mind "if it wasn't for Camilla...". But I commend them for supporting their father and wanting him happy. I also feel that if Charles can marry Camilla, Andrew should be able to remarry Sarah. But that is the romantic in me. We must forgive and forget.

I'm sure the Queen wouldn't want William to take the throne young like she did and have his family life sacrificed to the duties of monarch. I expect she thinks that having Charles on the throne for a few years with a Princess Consort is a preferable arrangement to having William on the throne before he's had a chance to have a life.

I guess Camilla must feel that she has won some great victory. Finally being "legitimized" by the Establishment. Somehow I feel that Charles will never rule Great Britain. What goes around comes around. Charles shamed his mother, Queen and wife by his behavior over the years. Diana had her faults too and she sadly was removed from the scene. I hope QEII lives another 30 years. It will be a dreadful day when Charles becomes king.

Well...it's got to be true love. Looking at both of them it certainly can't be based on looks - especially her.

You should be ahamed

I am so happy fo Charles and Camila. I think that you all that think that this is a bad news should be ashamed. If you love somebody for such a long time I think that they have the right to get married. Lets not forget that Spanish crown princess is also a divorcee, but she is beautful but Camila is not she is afterall 56?. Her realtionship with Charles has continued more that some royales marriages. So is it if you are beautiful you are forgiven everything? I can't believe that you are all arguing about that. Lets see when you are 56 how you are going to look like because i bet that not many of us would look like Camila. Maybe worse... So be happy for them. Why not? Life is so short to be taken seriously anyways!

Ummm..I think you are missing a vital point in why ppl are not happy with this whole situation. I willl let you think about it...

Elspeth said:
I'm sure the Queen wouldn't want William to take the throne young like she did and have his family life sacrificed to the duties of monarch. I expect she thinks that having Charles on the throne for a few years with a Princess Consort is a preferable arrangement to having William on the throne before he's had a chance to have a life.

But then again it may not be so bad. Charles will rule only a few years. The Queen is in robust health, and I think she will make it to 100 years. I hope she has her late mother's longevity. Charles may be well into his seventies/eighties before he rules; what much can he really do then. The spotlight will be on William. I just hope William does not turn out to be a wreck.

It's a mud pitch out there including Charles and Camilla's very own in terms of the stylish title. Like she has a say in what she wants to be known as such. It was already preceeding her will long before her wants, called Camilla styled as Mistress (street style). I'm not saying this just to spite her, no, this is to point out the hypocracy of such thing as legally known and it's relation to stylishly known. What's legally called is legally termed, and what's stlyish known is up to the tide? Call me Duchess because I don't want to offend your sensitivity? :D well if you've alreaady known the objection, either you don't give a hoot, or you don't marry at all. What's this nonsense about style and toyiny!

of couse i'm happy for them, we are always happy when we see people who love each other coronorate their love by such as union, but i can't hide my sadness about princess Diana and her dramatic and tragic life,if prince charles and camilla had taken this decision years before, diana would not finish her life dramatically,she looked in love and happy with her prince,but the truth was not as pretty as the dream of the young woman:cool:

I'm not exactly surprised, but I don't feel congratulatory about it either. I don't mean to be a kill-joy, but Camilla will always have a negative taste in my mouth. I know that Diana is dead, but it's hard not to look at Camilla and say 'you helped wreak someone else's marriage'.

Congratulations Charles, you finally get to marry your mistress.:D

My thoughts too. I will hold off on giving my congratulations for now. I thought I was still sleeping when a CNN reporter said they were getting married.

I wonder what Camilla's duties will be? Di was the "people's princess" for the causes and people she championed for. I hope Camilla will represent the family in a good way.

I think Camilla looks as good as she will get. Remember, now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she looks so happy and must be thinking finally I good enough to marry. ;)

I remember jokes about this picture and who would marry first. Nobody picked Charles or Albert.

Should we start a wedding page for the couple?

Attachments

• 50887315.jpg
    50887315.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 236
I doubt that Camilla will get much in the ways of public duties and representation. As long as it's been since Diana died, she still has a pretty esteemed position in the minds of the people in the UK AND the world.

I wonder if Charles picked out this ring or Camilla. It's been said that he didn't pick Diana's engagement ring, so I wonder...

Regardless of whether or not she has her position "legitimized", she will always be associated with helping wreak someone's marriage. No amount of royal marriages would ever make her separate from that. Gotta hand it to her; she achieved what her great-grandmother couldn't do. I think the choice that was presented to QEII's uncle, the former king, should be presented to Charles as well...

im not sure who will intives to watch Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding?

have lists to attend? includes Crown Prince and Crown Princess,King and Queen,Grand and Duchess,Prince and Princess and lots of more to attend or have lavish wedding like Prince Charles and Diana have in 1981 or not have lavish this year?

he will intives include Prime Minister and his wife, and lots of more,president of foreign or whatever

Sara Boyce

How can Her Majesty appove for this marriage?

IMO, Her Majesty prefers Charles to marry now, when she is still here and alive, because she has much more control of the events (I mean, she can object to Camilla 's Princess of Wales'style, to her becoming Queen, etc.) If she had always said NO to the wedding, Charles would have married Camilla once King, once his mother died...and then he would be free to make Camilla a "complete"Queen...

I'm happy for them and wish them every happiness and success.

They all made mistakes - that's what happens in life.
A relationship that is upset / mistake / hurt free is one that exists in a vacuum - royal or not.

I can't believe people are being so rude about Camilla's looks.
It really bothers me that people don't want her because she is "ugly". :eek:

She is an older woman and not a model - get some perspective people!!

*eta I changed my avatar in honour of their happiness!! :D

Last edited:
From AOL news

http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/article.adp?id=20050210173309990010

CHARLES GOT DOWN ON ONE KNEE

Bride-to-be Camilla Parker Bowles has said she was "just coming down to Earth" after the Prince of Wales went down on one knee to propose.

The newly engaged couple made their first public appearance together since the announcement that they are set to wed.

Flashing her large sparkling diamond engagement ring, she was congratulated on her forthcoming nuptials as the pair attended a glitzy gala dinner at Windsor Castle, where they will wed in two months' time.

Entering the castle's grand reception room through the double doors, Charles and Camilla were greeted with applause by waiting guests.

With a beaming smile and wearing a deep fuchsia pink floor-length evening gown, Camilla posed with Charles for photographs. "Thank you very much," Camilla said as she was congratulated.

Asked how she was doing, she said: "All right, I'm just coming down to Earth."

Quizzed about the heir to the throne's proposal and whether he got down on one knee, she said with a wide grin: "Of course. What else?"

The Prince, who was wearing a bow tie and a Windsor jacket said: "I'm very happy."

There was buzzing excitement in the grand reception room as the 260 guests chatted and sipped Highgrove organic sparkling wine as they waited for the happy couple to arrive.

On the menu was smoked salmon rillette followed by roast fillet of beef and a pudding of lemon and thyme pannacotta with a compote of rhubarb and berries.

The bride- and groom-to-be were met on entering by Julia Cleverdon, chief executive of the Prince's Business in the Community venture, who shook Camilla's hand and offered her warmest congratulations.

The press in the UK have been going crazy about this news, all you hear on all the shows is what do people think about the wedding of charles and Camilla.

Most of the shows have been doing polls about if charles should be allowed to marry camilla, all the polls so far have been saying that 60% of the british public are against the wedding

coach1286 said:
Here is a great picture of the ring from CNN....

such a nice ring, before people had seen the ring, they were saying on TV that it better not be bigger than the one he gave Diana.

I watched her on the news yesterday and she looked over the moon, she looked really happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
what I dont understand is why if they have been in love for 30 years didnt they get married when they met and fell in love? why did each one go off and marry someone else.
was there something wrong with Camilla back then that they didnt allow them to get married

micas said:
William and Harry? some 1 see them?

they released a joint statement saying they were very happy for their father, which I guess isnt a suprise.

I wonder what Diana's family think about this especially her brother Earl Spencer. Im suprised that nothing has been said about what he thinks

Hello magazine

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/02/10/charlesandcamilla/

Prince Charles and his long-time companion Camilla Parker Bowles are to wed. Clarence House has put an end to speculation about the couple's future by confirming they will walk down the aisle on April 8.

The marriage will be a civil ceremony followed by a service of prayer and dedication in St George's Chapel, Windsor, presided over by the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams.

As the Prince of Wales' wife, Camilla will be given the title HRH Duchess of Cornwall. Representatives for the pair have also revealed that when Charles accedes to the throne, his wife will be known as the Princess Consort instead of Queen Camilla.

The news comes after years of public debate as to whether the two should make their vows. Opinion polls have suggested the public is in favour of them marrying, but there is less sympathy for the idea of Camilla becoming queen.

Her future mother in law was among the first to offer her congratulations. "The Duke of Edinburgh and I are very happy that The Prince of Wales and Mrs Parker Bowles are to marry," said the Queen in a statement released by Buckingham Palace. "We have given them our warmest good wishes for their future together." Royal officials have also revealed that Princes William and Harry are both "delighted" at the announcement.

Charles' relationship with Camilla, whom he first met at a polo match over 30 years ago, has been a source of controversy for some time. Princess Diana famously named her as a factor in the breakdown of her marriage to the Prince. And conservative voices in the Anglican Church have expressed displeasure at the idea of the man who will one day become their Supreme Governor wedding a divorcee.

The church is officially neutral on the issue, though, and the former Archbishop of Canterbury has given his blessing to the union. "He is heir to the throne and he loves her," said Lord Carey last year. "The natural thing is that they should get married."

Uncertainty surrounding the status of Camilla's relationship with Charles has also proved problematic at social functions, when she has sometimes been seated away from her partner. Her inclusion on his accounts for the first last year provoked debate, although there had been numerous other signals that the couple were moving towards an official union.

what can the Earl Spencer say to this, he can fake it and congratulate them and be angry inside how Charles treated his sister all those years ago. 1 thing i don't get, his Great uncle Edward VIII, who later became The Duke of Windsor, after he married a divorcee, he lost his title, so he left his Kingship for his Brother Queen Elizabeth II's father, and his Aunt Princess Margaret couldn't marry her true love, cause he was a divorcee , why is Charles allowed to Be King still, he should give up his title for his son, to Marry Camilla.. I don't agree to this whole thing. If Charles wants to marry Camila, then he should follow in his great uncle's path and resign from King and line of succession for his son.

Camilla will have all of Charles's titles, just in the feminine form (eg Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Chester etc). This is the Common Law. However, she will be KNOWN as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

NJRedDevils said:
what can the Earl Spencer say to this, he can fake it and congratulate them and be angry inside how Charles treated his sister all those years ago. 1 thing i don't get, his Great uncle Edward VIII, who later became The Duke of Windsor, after he married a divorcee, he lost his title, so he left his Kingship for his Brother Queen Elizabeth II's father, and his Aunt Princess Margaret couldn't marry her true love, cause he was a divorcee , why is Charles allowed to Be King still, he should give up his title for his son, to Marry Camilla

Because this is the 2000s, not the 1930s or 1950s, and divorce isn't such a big deal these days. Back in the Duke of Windsor's time, divorced people weren't welcome at Court at all. Back in the 1950s there was a huge stigma attached to divorce. Things became a lot more relaxed from the 1960s and 1970s onward. With half the married couples in the country having gone through divorce and a lot of them remarrying, it really can't be argued that it's that terrible a thing any more.

Well, NJRedDevils, it certainly seems that royal houses, and most importantly the Church have become more relaxed in their views on matrimony. Remember, it was Felipe and Letizia (also a divorcee) who broke that rule first, so there is nothing unusual in Charles´s and Camilla´s marriage. On the contrary, it would be much more to frown upon if they did not get married after all. Isn´t the so called "living in sin" graver sin for the Church than marrying a divorcee? What is that rule anyway that one must not marry the divorcee but the ex-wife or ex-husband of the divorcee can? Camilla´s ex-husband is already married.

Last edited:
Merca said:
Well, NJRedDevils, it certainly seems that royal houses, and most importantly the Church have become more relaxed in their views on matrimony. Remember, it was Felipe and Letizia (also a divorcee) who broke that rule first, so there is nothing unusual in Charles´s and Camilla´s marriage. On the contrary, it would be much more to frown upon if they did not get married after all. Isn´t the so called "living in sin" graver sin for the Church than marrying a divorcee? What is that rule anyway that one must not marry the divorcee but the ex-wife or ex-husband of the divorcee can? Camilla´s ex-husband is already married.

letizia is a divorcee???? i didnt know that

I am just stating what was back then and how it has changed for Charles and Camila. I mean If the Ex KIng Edward VIII could see this he would be dissapointed cause He couldn't marry his love cause of DIVORCE and Charles can and still be king and how would Princess Magaret feel knowing she lost her true love over this issue too.. I dunno why Charles is getting so much love and support, for how he treated Poor Diana, it's funny how people change, except i don't..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom