The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
One more thing for those People not within the Catholic faith, have respect for the ones who are, the Pope is like God's son on Earth, he did many things for People, wanted Peace and he didn't care if you were Anglican, Muslim, Jewish or whatever, he respected everyone, he even kissed the Koran and was at the Worship wall in Israel. Everyone should have respect no matter your faith or Culture and I think the Wedding should be postpone due to the fact that no date has been set for the Funeral and alot of head of State will be atttending the Funeral, which means alot of Politicians and Royalty.. 1 day more won't hurt either Charles or Camilla since they waited this long to be together 1 extra day won't hurt them. A Mark of Respect won't hurt anyone..
Good point ^___^ I think Charles should attend the funeral, and you're right one day wouldn't hurt anyone.

and you brought up another good point, how come Charles father is a duke and not king? and yet there is a possibility of Camilla being Queen when she's not even royal like the duke...

Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

In Britain, a woman takes her husband's titles if they're higher up the social scale than their father's titles; men don't take their wives' titles. Therefore, the wife of the king automatically becomes queen, but the husband of a queen doesn't automatically become king or even prince. Prince Albert was a prince in his own right when he married Queen Victoria; Prince Philip gave up his Greek title before he married Princess Elizabeth and was just Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten. King George VI gave him the title of Duke of Edinburgh just before the wedding and gave him the title HRH. It wasn't until a few years after their marriage that Queen Elizabeth formally conferred on him the title of a Prince of the United Kingdom; it didn't come automatically with his marriage.

Camilla will become HRH because of her marriage, just as the Queen Mother did.

As far as the Pope's funeral is concerned, the Queen was represented by the Duke of Norfolk, the most senior Catholic peer in England, at the funerals of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul I, and there's no reason to assume anything will be different this time.

If it had been another Protestant Crown Prince getting married, such as Frederik and Mary last year, would you still be calling for a postponement?

Old 04-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Commoner

Gee what a way to reward a troublemaker who goes around braking marriages!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
I actually don't mind Camilla being Princess of Wales, (although i think Diana is the better Princess of Wales). Camilla has the rights to it being married to Prince Charles. There will be many women in the future who will have the rights to this title as well, and it would be most unfair to deny it to them because it was Princess Diana's title. Anyhow, it is just a title, she's still going to be the disliked partner of Prince Charles :P
I told elspeth about that! but my answer said NO why because many people wanted to low-profiles follow death of late Diana,Princess of Wales because Diana already took POW in 1981 when she got married to Prince Charles but Camilla cant become POW that my answer question!

Camilla would known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Consort that it! i would knew it about Princess Diana for more reason! but Diana been work hard than Camilla when Diana was married into Royals since 1981-1997 for dedication Diana more respectively!

Sara Boyce
Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
I until this moment I do not think on the Charles´s wedding, but now single I must say a thing:
i would agree with you!

Camilla cant become POW again! but Diana already took POW i told elspeth about that my answer question said NO! why because follow death of Diana,Princess of Wales more respect for Diana but Camilla would known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Consort that it!

Sara Boyce
Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Could people calm down, please. This discussion isn't going to be improved by all this heat.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Camilla's Title

The question of Camilla's title(s) was covered when the announcement of the wedding was made on 10 February.

It is now 4 April.

Surely everyone has been able to digest by now the fact that Camilla will be HRH the Princess of Wales, but KNOWN as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall.

I find it hard to understand the new outbreak of feigned outrage at this simple fact when it has been on the public record for almost two months.

Logic and commonsense will tell you that a woman takes her husband's name (and title) on marriage.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am with you Warren.

Another way of looking at it is what would everyone have assumed if there had been no announcement of titles? The assumption would have been that Camilla would be the Princess of Wales and use that title. As there was an announcement the next question is why was there an announcement at all? It is because Clarence House knew that Camilla was entitled to use the Princess of Wales title but was choosing not to do so but to use the title Duchess of Wales.

In other words Clarence House was making it clear from the beginning. Maybe this should have been their statement - Camilla will be the Princess of Wales but has decided to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall. Actually they said this minus the "will be the Princess of Wales but" part of it. They assumed that people had enough intelligence to know that a woman always takes her husband's full titles and therefore spelt out that fact that Camilla wasn't going to be using the title Princess of Wales without actually using those precise words.

Come on folks - use the brains that God gave you and THINK things through. Why has this issue come up at this time? Has anyone thought that the man simply wants to make a name for himself in the lead up to an election and using the Royal Family, Prince Charles and the wedding is a good way to do so?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Nobility

I think I just gagged at the thought of Camilla "Horsey" Bowles assuming the titles of Princess Diana. This lady is way out of that one's league and always will be. As for my own opinion, i think the moment Camilla becomes either Princess of Wales or Queen outright, the British people will come to their senses and throw Charles off the throne. He'll just scurry off into some nicely decorated manor in the English countryside with his horsey wife and his horsey life and his horsey self and never be seen again. And everyone will live happily ever after.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Nobility

Clarence house has confirmed that C and C's wedding will go as planned, even if it happens to clash with the Pope's funeral:

http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.asp...e=windows-1252

eliza
Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
I think I just gagged at the thought of Camilla "Horsey" Bowles assuming the titles of Princess Diana. This lady is way out of that one's league and always will be. As for my own opinion, i think the moment Camilla becomes either Princess of Wales or Queen outright, the British people will come to their senses and throw Charles off the throne. He'll just scurry off into some nicely decorated manor in the English countryside with his horsey wife and his horsey life and his horsey self and never be seen again. And everyone will live happily ever after.
Grecka,
Do you have a problem with "horsey" people or just Camilla? You will find that most "horsey" people, as you call us, are down to earth, realistic types. I think that were you to ask a broad cross-section of British people their opinion of Charles capability to be a good King you would be amazed at the support he has.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes, thank you for posting that, I did not know how to put it in words.

It might not be grecka's intention but I object to the tone of telling us, as if knowing for sure, how everybody feels about charles and camilla. It is not clear that she is just speaking for herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Grecka,
Do you have a problem with "horsey" people or just Camilla? You will find that most "horsey" people, as you call us, are down to earth, realistic types. I think that were you to ask a broad cross-section of British people their opinion of Charles capability to be a good King you would be amazed at the support he has.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

While this weekend Clarence House seemed like the date definatley wouldn't be postponed it is now saying it is "assesing the situation". From Reuters:

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Charles may postpone his marriage Friday to Camilla Parker Bowles because it clashes with the funeral of Pope John Paul in Rome.

The heir to the British throne cut short his skiing holiday in Switzerland Monday and flew back to London so he and longtime lover Parker Bowles could attend a commemoration service for the pontiff in London's Westminster Abbey.

Now his wedding plans -- already plagued by a string of problems -- could also be changed.

A spokesman for Charles said the wedding was still formally scheduled for Friday. "But we remain sensitive to events that are happening elsewhere around the world and are continuing to assess the situation," he added.

The timing could also cause protocol problems for Prime Minister Tony Blair and Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Williams, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans, is due to officiate at a service of blessing for Charles and Camilla after their civil ceremony wedding.

Asked if he planned to fly to Rome instead, a spokeswoman for Williams said: "We have no news from here."

Blair, a wedding guest, could also face a diplomatic headache. He has already put off Monday's expected announcement of a May 5 election out of respect for the Pope, who died on Saturday aged 84.

Now he may be going to Rome Friday.

"We'll let people know as soon as possible about any decision. The prime minister is fully aware of the sensitivities of everyone in this country," Blair's spokesman said.

Former Buckingham Palace spokesman Dickie Arbiter called the situation "an absolute nightmare."

"They will certainly be scratching their heads on what direction to go," he added. Charles' wedding plans have been dogged from the outset by unexpected snarl-ups -- the venue was switched in a mixup over marriage licenses, constitutional experts questioned the legality of a civil ceremony and Queen Elizabeth has declined to attend
Old 04-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Nobility

I checked out the British Royal Message Board, and someone wrote that Charles
"low-key wedding will be turned into a no-key wedding" if he keeps the Friday time.

I think Clarence House's first statement may show just how Charles "out of touch" is.

I think may royals who were going to the wedding will be in Rome.

Reports also say that Charles, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and Prime Minister Tony Blair may wish to attend the Pope's funera. The last two were expected to attend the royal wedding.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

US news stations have just reported Charles' wedding will now be held on Saturday.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

Charles to Rome on Friday..... Wedding postponed to Saturday (Just announced on Sky News)
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Nobility

Thanks, I read the report on Sky News.

Is Camilla Parker Bowles going to Rome with Charles?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update marzedote and wymanda.

Saturday is probably a better day anyway. I always wondered why it was originally scheduled for a Friday.

Wonder what will happen to the weddings/other celebrations originally scheduled for Saturday at the Guildhall? I'm sure there will be some fall out if other celebrations were unsurped for Charles and Camilla's big day.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

I am glad to hear that they are postponing the wedding and that Charles is attending the funeral. Thank goodness that are using good judgement.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I always wondered why it was originally scheduled for a Friday.
Perhaps because the Grand National Steeplechase is on Saturday & there is always big media coverage of that in Britain.

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, engagement, prince charles, prince of wales