The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia
I couldn't agree with you more Elpseth. It does seem that Camilla wants all the rights and privligies of being OUR Queen but with none of the reponsibility. That does sum up her whole life. Alll the rights of sleeping with Charles. Playing mistress at Highgrove etc etc but not any of the day to day work that is involved with being Princess of Wales. This wedding is a shambles. All the republicians are climbing out of the woodwork. Up until now I have kept my opinion of CPB to myself as she was a private individual but now that she is marrying Prince Charles she is fair game like any other member of The Royal Family
I hadn't heard that Camilla was not going to take on any royal duties, not perform the duties of hostess at official functions held by the Prince of Wales or stand at his side when he deputises for the Queen. Those will be her responsibilities of her role. She already has a couple of patronages (Osteoporosis for one) that, as a private citizen, she did not have to do but she has taken her duties in this role seriously and I have no doubt that she will be just as diligent in her duties to other causes she will take on as Duchess of Cornwall.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizahawthorne
what exactly is a morganatic marriage?
My understanding is that it is where a wife does not assume the Rank & Style of her husband. Probably the best two examples are

1. The Duchess of Windsor who was not granted the HRH held by her husband.

2. Lillian, Princess de Rethy whos husband was the King of the Belgians

Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

The other thing about a morganatic marriage is that the children don't inherit the father's title.

Morganatic marriage seemed to be used mainly in the German aristocracy and royalty; it doesn't exist in British law, where a wife automatically takes her husband's rank. The irony of the Duke of Windsor's situation was that while he was king he was told that morganatic marriage wouldn't be possible, but once he abdicated, morganatic marriage is exactly what he got.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Any more announcement of the Guests List at the wedding?I just known Queen Beatrix,Prince WA,Princess Maxima,Prince Haakon,Princess Mette-Marit and Grand Duke Henri will attend.TRH Prince frederik and Princess Mary of denmark have turned down the invitation to attend the Wedding.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 03-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Get in now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymanda
I hadn't heard that Camilla was not going to take on any royal duties.
I am also unaware that Camilla has made a public statement saying that she doesn't intend to play any public role or perform any public duties.

Curious how some people are already criticising Camilla for not performing duties as consort to the Prince of Wales when she is not even married to him yet.

If effect she is being criticised for what she is alleged to be NOT doing in the FUTURE. Very much a case of having a go at her now before there is anything of substance to actually pass comment on.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Heir Apparent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganatic_marriage For anybody wishing to read more on Morganatic marriages.

Countess Danner, who might be known to people having studied Danish Royal History, is an example of Morganaic marriage. (http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/v1/perso...PersonTypeID=2)

I read that the Danish royal house won't be represented at all, because CP Frederik is in Greenland at the time, and Mary won't do it on her own. The Danish royal family also regards the invitations as issued to the person, not the family, so they're not sending someone representing Denmark.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

A Sweet Story

From today's Sydney Daily Telegraph...

PENSIONER PEN PAL INVITED TO ROYAL WEDDING CELEBRATIONS

Auckland. A New Zealand woman, who has been a pen pal of Camilla Parker Bowles for the past nine years, has been invited to next month's Royal Wedding celebrations in London.

"It's quite exciting news, I'm absolutely gobsmacked," said the 73-year old.

I have to renew my passport, I didn't think I would be leaving this town [Greymouth] again without being in a box," she said.

She has never met the couple but received a Christmas card from them last year.

With all the negative publicity the couple have received in recent years, the woman decided to start sending Mrs Parker Bowles positive media clippings to let her know it wasn't all bad.

"If they said she had a face like a horse...or mentioned the Prince's ears I wouldn't send [the clippings].

"I only sent them nice things."

The woman has been invited to attend the blessing in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle following the civil ceremony, and the reception.

When asked what she could expect at the wedding reception, she replied "Just finger food. There's 800 people going you know; you try serving white-bait patties to that many people."
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I am also unaware that Camilla has made a public statement saying that she doesn't intend to play any public role or perform any public duties.
I don't think she has, and I don't think she actually would do so since that isn't how most of the royals conduct business, but Clarence House is making all sorts of statements giving the impression that she's going to try to stay in the background even after her marriage. It's one thing for her to not take the Princess of Wales title since that title is associated with Diana and it would be the height of insensitivity for Camilla to take it over in light of the history involved. But the statement about her being known as Princess Consort after Charles's accession is simply bizarre in the context of the British legal system. If nothing else, the Abdication made it quite clear that there's no way round the reality that the wife of the king becomes queen unless special legislation is passed, including legislation in other Commonwealth countries. Whoever it was at Clarence House who put out the statement about her being Princess Consort must have known that sooner or later (and very probably sooner) questions would be asked about the legality of this situation and they'd have to come out with some sort of clarification. They made it look as though she was trying to avoid the position and responsibilities of Queen Consort.

Between that and the debacle over the location of the wedding ceremony, it would appear that Charles has got himself some pretty worthless advisors.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
From today's Sydney Daily Telegraph...

PENSIONER PEN PAL INVITED TO ROYAL WEDDING CELEBRATIONS

Auckland. A New Zealand woman, who has been a pen pal of Camilla Parker Bowles for the past nine years, has been invited to next month's Royal Wedding celebrations in London.

"It's quite exciting news, I'm absolutely gobsmacked," said the 73-year old.

I have to renew my passport, I didn't think I would be leaving this town [Greymouth] again without being in a box," she said.

She has never met the couple but received a Christmas card from them last year.

With all the negative publicity the couple have received in recent years, the woman decided to start sending Mrs Parker Bowles positive media clippings to let her know it wasn't all bad.

"If they said she had a face like a horse...or mentioned the Prince's ears I wouldn't send [the clippings].

"I only sent them nice things."

The woman has been invited to attend the blessing in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle following the civil ceremony, and the reception.

When asked what she could expect at the wedding reception, she replied "Just finger food. There's 800 people going you know; you try serving white-bait patties to that many people."
Aww. What a nice story! Thanks for the article.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Official for the wedding announced!

From Getty: Superintendent Registrar Clair Williams meets the press. She has been chosen to conduct the wedding ceremony for the PoW and Camilla in April. Here she is in the Ascot Room, where it is said that the ceremony will take place:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52469023.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	114338   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469031.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	114339   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469036.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	114340   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469073.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	114341  

Click image for larger version

Name:	52469075.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	114342   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469077.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	114343   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469078.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	114344   Click image for larger version

Name:	52469085.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	114345  

Old 03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Official press release with details!

From the PoW's official website:

FURTHER DETAILS ON THE WEDDING OF HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES AND MRS CAMILLA PARKER BOWLES - INFORMATION ON THE CIVIL CEREMONY AT THE WINDSOR GUILDHALL

Their Royal Highnesses The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex and The Princess Royal, and Rear Admiral Timothy Laurence will be among the guests attending the civil marriage ceremony of The Prince of Wales and Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles at the Windsor Guildhall on Friday 8th April, together with Prince William and Prince Harry.

Also attending will be Major Bruce Shand, Tom and Laura Parker Bowles, and other members of both families.

The ceremony will be undertaken by Clair Williams, the Superintendent Registrar.

It will take place in the Ascot Room within the Guildhall and will last approximately 20 minutes. There will be a preliminary meeting where the Registrar will confirm details, followed by the marriage ceremony itself.

Prince William and Tom Parker Bowles will be the witnesses to the marriage.

The Prince of Wales and Mrs Parker Bowles will arrive at and depart from the Guildhall by car from Windsor Castle. They will be driven in a 1962 Rolls Royce Phantom V previously used by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Old 03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Confirmed guests at the wedding so far are:

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
Crown Prince Phillippe And Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Her Excellency Adrienne Clarkson Governor General of Canada
His Excellency General Michael Jeffery the Governor-General of Australia

Rumored to be attending, but not yet confirmed:

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Princess Letizia of Spain
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

I am surprised Queen Beatrix is attending. I had read that Queen Elizabeth II didn't want any of Europe's Monarchs to attend, as it would could make the wedding blessing appear to be an official state occassion. Charles had wanted to invite the King and Queen of Spain, but the Queen asked Charles to invite Crown Prince Felipe instead.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359
Confirmed guests at the wedding so far are:

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
Crown Prince Phillippe And Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Her Excellency Adrienne Clarkson Governor General of Canada
His Excellency General Michael Jeffery the Governor-General of Australia

Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Princess Letizia of Spain
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

I am surprised Queen Beatrix is attending. I had read that Queen Elizabeth II didn't want any of Europe's Monarchs to attend, as it would could make the wedding blessing appear to be an official state occassion. Charles had wanted to invite the King and Queen of Spain, but the Queen asked Charles to invite Crown Prince Felipe instead.
oh wow!

havent more any Royals yet!

Sara Boyce
Old 03-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

if i was a royal i wouldnt go...but since i'm not,well i'm not going anyway but i will not watch it.
think bout this-since camilla is marrying charles do u think she will be compare to diana? i think so esp. with her dress and manner.
another item on my pet pev list is camilla dosen't want to be call queen-so why marry charles?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Courtier

WILLIAM TO BE WITNESS AT CHARLES'S WEDDING!23 MARCH 2005

The Prince of Wales and his future wife, Camilla Parker Bowles, have chosen their eldest children to act as witnesses at their April 8 nuptials, Clarence House has confirmed.

Prince William and Tom Parker Bowles will serve the important role at the civil wedding, to be held in the intimate Ascot Room at the Guildhall in Windsor. The bride and groom will arrive together for the town hall ceremony, driven in a 1962 Rolls Royce Phantom V previously used by Charles' grandmother, the Queen Mother.

News of William's prominent participation comes just a few weeks after reports he and his younger brother Prince Harry would not serve as supporters – the royal version of best men – in the history-making ceremony. "It's not that sort of wedding," said a spokesperson in February. "The two boys will have a role throughout the wedding in so much as being by their father's side."

Prince Harry will be among the 30 guests at the civil ceremony, along with Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, the Countess of Wessex, Princess Anne and her husband Timothy Laurence. Camilla's father, Major Bruce Shand, and daughter, Laura Parker Bowles, will also be present for the 20-minute service.

Though further attendees have not been confirmed, around 700 people are expected at the blessing and reception following the vows. Among the reported guests will be a number of Charles' former flames, including Lucia Santa Cruz, Lady Jane Wellesley and Amanda Knatchbull. Invitees from the world of entertainment include Joanna Lumley, Barry Humphries, Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry, while the royal guest list is rumoured to include Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and his wife, Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...princewilliam/
Old 03-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I would say that even unconfirmed, King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie are definite attendees. They have a long history of support and friendship with the British royals, and if you believe the stories, King Constatine facilitated Charles and Camilla's liasons while he was still married.

Quote:
I'm surprised, too, but I guess the Dutch royal house felt that some representation was necessary? With Maxima taking some rest due to problems with her second pregnancy, Willem could attend by himself, or even Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven rather than the Queen to make it less "official" but perhaps they all had previous plans?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

There will be a few documentaries on the British royals this weekend on CBC Newsworld including one about Camilla.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

btw...will only European royals be attending the wedding?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
There will be a few documentaries on the British royals this weekend on CBC Newsworld including one about Camilla.
I hope if you find out when they'll be on you're share the information ~*~Humera~*~ -- I would love to watch some of it. :)
Old 03-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I hope if you find out when they'll be on you're share the information ~*~Humera~*~ -- I would love to watch some of it. :)

no problem there
Here you go

Sunday - March 27, 2005
10:00 p.m. Princess Camilla: Winner Takes All
- Camilla Parker Bowles' long road to the altar, and her new and perhaps awkward role in the Royal Family.

Updated to include the recent marriage announcement, this documentary looks at Camilla Parker Bowles' long road to the altar, and examines her new and perhaps awkward role in the Royal Family. Will her position of Princess Consort be one the public will accept, and will the speculation and gossip that has swirled around Charles and Camilla for years finally end once they exchange their vows? What about the long shadow of Diana? Will it finally recede and let Charles and Camilla face a peaceful life together. An enigma, a source of scandal, and even reviled, Camilla will now take up a legitimate role in the Royal Family. How will she fare in this new position? Is she, indeed, the winner?

11:00 p.m. Prince William and Prince Harry
- Are they, like their mother before them, trapped by the media gaze that follows their every move?

Born into celebrity, their lives marred up tragedy and upheaval, with little privacy afforded them, Princes William and Harry are the ultimate celebrities-but how willing are they to fulfill their royal roles? Will they end up like their mother, trapped in an age-old institution, unable to function without a paparazzi posse close behind. This program looks at the lives of these two young men, and poses the question: will they ever be left alone?

Mondy - March 28, 2005
10:00 p.m. Harry: The Mysterious Prince
- Who is Prince Harry and why are the images of him so confusing?

Where does this 'bad boy' of the Royal Family fit in? Is he just too in tune with the times to fit into the Royal Family agenda? Will he take after his mother and become an outsider in the royal tapestry? This intimate portrait of the 'Prince of the tabloids' will show his life from different angles. He's not always the fun-seeker who manages to get in trouble. This documentary shows Harry trying to carry on his mother's good works and awkwardly seeking to find a niche for himself in the royal world when fate has marked him as the 'spare', much like his exuberant and tragic aunt, Margaret.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, engagement, prince charles, prince of wales