The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Rather surprised by this story; wonder why Charles didn't remove his wedding band a long time ago? Like when Diana was still alive and they had both obviously moved on with their lives? Wonder if it ever bothered Camilla that Charles still wore his wedding band from Diana (though Camilla doesn't seem much like the jealous type, but still).

Thanks for posting the story susan alicia. An interesting read even if I did find it a bit puzzling!

Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
from the hello website:

Onlookers noticed the Prince was no longer sporting the gold band. It is believed he and Camilla made a joint decision to do away with their wedding rings
Photo: © AFP

8 MARCH 2005

With his marriage to Camilla Parker Bowles just weeks away, Prince Charles has finally stopped wearing the wedding ring he was given by Princess Diana. Well-wishers who turned out to see the heir to the throne as he continued his tour of the South Pacific this week noticed he had removed the gold band that was placed on his finger 24 years ago in St Paul's Cathedral.

Back home in Britain, meanwhile, his future wife has also stopped wearing the ring she received from ex-husband Andrew Parker Bowles. It is believed the couple made a joint decision to dispense with them after announcing their plans to marry.

The Prince of Wales previously removed the band after his divorce from Diana was finalised in August 1996, but he took to wearing it again after she lost her life in a car crash the following year. Ever since then the Prince of Wales has worn it on the little finger of his left hand, just beneath his signet ring.
im really surprise about his little wedding rings got remove for 24 years! i cant believe it! but Diana did got herself remove her rings after divorce also but Charles didnt removes till he got married to Camilla but i dont think Camilla wouldnt got jealous to Diana no!

Sara Boyce

Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
This article was published in the Guardian newspaper. Do these people actually stop and think what Diana would have thought of what they are doing? Given the fact that shortly before her death she expressed a wish that Charles "get on with it" and marry Camilla these people really do appear a little pathetic.

Meet the Diana Circle: the band of fans trying to stop the royal wedding

Group set up to honour memory of princess would rather see Charles abdicate than marry 'Cowmilla'

Mark Honigsbaum
Monday March 7, 2005
The Guardian

They refer to Prince Charles's bride-to-be as Cowmilla, think Princess Diana was the best thing that ever happened to the monarchy, and would like to see the Diana memorial fountain in Hyde Park, which they regard as a "ditch," replaced by a more fitting memorial to a woman who they fear is in danger of being "airbrushed from history".

It is more than seven years since Diana died, but her growing band of worshippers, the Diana Circle, is very much alive and kicking. They would rather see Charles abdicate than realise his "master plan" of marrying Camilla Parker Bowles and having her accede to the position formerly occupied by their beloved princess.

Since Charles made public his plans to marry his long-term mistress - the circle has dubbed the day of the announcement, February 10, Black Thursday - hardly a week has passed without them writing to newspapers and politicians to air their pro-Diana views.

Last week, in an effort to show they are serious about disrupting Charles's plans for an Easter wedding to Mrs Parker Bowles, they wrote to the registrar general to lodge an official objection.

At least, it is reported they did. Despite suggestions that the registrar general could rule on their petition as early as today, members of the Diana Circle refused to comment, claiming newspapers had misrepresented their views and printed "a pack of lies" about them.

"They are portraying us as a clandestine, underground group, which goes against everything we stand for," said Alan Berry, 62, a Ministry of Defence official from Surrey who together with his wife, Joan, is one of the seven founder members of the group.

"The petition is a private matter. We are not confirming or denying anything."

There was no reference to the group's petition on the Diana Circle website either. However, on its homepage, decorated with a pink flower bearing the legend Keeping Her Memory Alive, the group said they were determined to use their "combined strength" to promote Diana's interests.

"The Diana Circle UK is non-political but believes Diana had a raw deal in life and also in death."

Another founder member, Josephine Dobson, who together with her husband Kenneth campaigns tirelessly for Diana's cause, was similarly guarded about the petition. "Charles should not be allowed to be king and that's all I'm saying," she told the Guardian.

According to yesterday's Sunday Express, if Charles is permitted to go ahead with the civil ceremony on April 8, Diana Circle members will place anti-wedding slogans on banners at Kensington Palace, alongside a giant poster of Diana in her wedding dress.

The paper pictured Mrs Berry holding a two-page letter the group had sent to the Queen criticising her for permitting the marriage to go ahead.

It read: "This is not a time for rejoicing but for sadness. If the marriage is allowed to proceed there is no doubt the monarchy will suffer damage and unpopularity never seen before ... how can you permit such a disservice and unpopular occasion to take place?"

According to the group's website, the Diana Circle was founded in August 2001 on the fourth anniversary of the princess's death, when members gathered at Kensington Palace to lay flowers and pay their respects.

In 2003, James Whittaker, the Daily Mirror's royal correspondent, gave the group a boost by publishing its email address. Since then the circle has expanded rapidly and now claims 1,000 members worldwide.

Judging by the circle's website, the group are far from craven monarchists. On the contrary, they argue that the monarchy is in desperate need of reform and could do worse than to take Diana as its model. "Diana's legacy included showing the world what compassion and selfless acts of charity can do to alter the staid, arrogant, privileged lifestyle of most of the royals," reads a declaration on its homepage.

In its latest newsletter, the group urges members to write to Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, to publicly repudiate the marriage. "We will not relax until he replies personally and concisely as to where he stands."

Yesterday, Dr Williams's predecessor, Lord George Carey, urged people to "get behind" Charles and Camilla, telling GMTV's Sunday programme that the forthcoming nuptials were good for the monarchy and set an example for society at large. "I think it's good for the country because it's important that at the heart of the monarchy we have stable relationships," Lord Carey said.

However, his views are not shared by every member of the Anglican clergy. The registrar general has received nine objections to the proposed marriage, including one from the Rev Paul Williamson, an outspoken west London vicar who is threatening to disrupt the civil ceremony at Windsor if his complaint is not upheld.

If the registrar rules in his favour, Charles would have to apply to the high court for judicial review. The only thing that could prevent that would be if the government intervened by rushing through legislation.

Yesterday, a Downing Street spokesman refused to comment on reports that the Diana Circle had written to the prime minister and received a reply from his secretary saying that he would raise their objections personally with the Queen.

"We don't discuss private internal correspondence, but in relation to the royal marriage, Lord Falconer [the lord chancellor] has made it absolutely clear that he considers the marriage constitutional and that it has the government's full support."

Charles's nuptials are not the only bee in the Diana Circle's bonnet. Members want the £3m Diana fountain demolished and replaced with a statue to the princess. "I have asked many friends what they think of the Princess Diana memorial fountain, and they all describe it as dreary, dismal or depressing - nothing like the princess, who was beautiful, vital and inspirational," Mrs Berry wrote to a newspaper recently.

Interesting. Let Charles marry her, who cares at this point?? My initial anger has basically turned to indifference except for the honors that woman receives and what damage could be brought upon a monarchy that needs to keep in touch with the people. As I have stated before, my hopes are with William--there is nothing to hope for with Charles in my opinion.

And yes, Diana should have a more fitting tribute than that fountain that has numerous problems. She deserves a more appropriate tribute and recognition for her work. I am glad to see there are many people dedicated to prevent Diana from being "airbrushed from history." That is not pathetic, that is to be applauded.

"The Prince of Wales previously removed the band after his divorce from Diana was finalised in August 1996, but he took to wearing it again after she lost her life in a car crash the following year. Ever since then the Prince of Wales has worn it on the little finger of his left hand, just beneath his signet ring."

Perhaps the sign of a guilty conscience??
Old 03-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Unhappy Charles and Camilla Stamp

Has anyone else posted this? This is the stamp that will be sold on the day of Charles and Camilla's wedding. The photo of Charles on the stamp is not particularly flattering. He's not exactly the best looking fellow in earth :p but I think that a better photo of him with Camilla should have been used.:( I have seen better photos of Prince Charles and he looks quite dashing in some of them.:p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charles an dCamilla - One of the stamps that will be released on April 9 03-09-06.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	107388  
Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Nobility

In my opinion, I think he should marry her...I think that they really love each other....for more that this woman made Diana cry and soffer, let´s not forget that she also soffer....and so does Charles...so, why not? She´s not becoming a Queen anyway...isn´t? If she marries Charles, she´ll become Princess Consort,I belive (correct me if I´m wrong, please) ....Prince William will become king anyway...
Old 03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Nobility

That was precious, and I defy anyone who says its terrible, which, no doubt, will happen. I can see it now: "Insensitive", "She really isn't that bad looking- as far as old women with yellow teeth who look like they fell of the turnip truck go"
Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it's rude to say about Camilla like that.Anyway,maybe we think she's not good but she is a human we should not say her as a thing.If we are in her position what will we think?
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Nobility

I agree with HM....she´s a woman...and should not be compared with Diana in any way......It´s not the looks...but the feeling that Charles has for her that is going to put her there....I think that if she was ambition, she could turn the british royal life´s misarable.....but, instead, she kept shut and respect them, and also Charles......I think that people should start seeing her not just outside, but inside...I´m not putting her as an angel....but, the woman made mistakes....so as Charles and so as Diana.....let´s not compare and take first impressions as the only ones..
Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Translated article from todays Aftonbladet (Sweden):

This is where Camilla will get her dream Prince

WINDSOR. This is where Prince Charles will stand when he says “yes” to Camilla. Aftonbladet has made an exclusive visit to Guildhall in Windsor, where the couple will wed in 8 April.

Queen Elizabeth has chosen not to attend the ceremony. But she will even so keep a watching eye over her son when he marries Camilla Parker Bowles. On the wall just next to the place where the couple will wed, hangs a grand portrait on the wall. On the opposite side hangs one of her husband Prince Philip.

The notices on where the wedding will be held have been many and long. At first it was thought that it would be held inside the castle area, in S;t George’s Chapel, but then it turned out that there were no license. Then they chose the town hall in Windsor, close to the castle. The house is small and lies on the main street. Many brits say that it’s not worthy a wedding in the Royal Family. The ceremonies are held on the second floor. Either in the town hall chamber, a 180 square metre large room decorated with portraits of royals, or the Ascot room, which is a simpler one.

The town hall chamber is predered, here 120 people will fit in. Ascot is much smaller, but has been discussed because it’s considered better from the security aspect.
- The ceremonies don’t take more than ten minutes. The couple go in and stand before the officiant, and then it’s over, says Burnand.

Will you do anything special with the building before Charles’s wedding?
- No, nothing special. Maybe vaccum the rugs.

The Court’s security people will take over the running of the town hall a few days before the wedding. They have already set up cameras in the area. The main street will be closed and several stores will have to close for a few hours.

The TV-company Sky has rented the entire hotel on the other side of the street for a cost of over $ 50,000, hoping to be able to take pictures through the six windows that face the street.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
Has anyone else posted this? This is the stamp that will be sold on the day of Charles and Camilla's wedding. The photo of Charles on the stamp is not particularly flattering. He's not exactly the best looking fellow in earth :p but I think that a better photo of him with Camilla should have been used.:( I have seen better photos of Prince Charles and he looks quite dashing in some of them.:p
actually that photo was probably not the best series of photos of the couple we've seen. maybe another set should have been used.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

I read that there are going to be two stamps, one of which will be more formal-looking than that one. Perhaps it'll be a better picture of him.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

From Colourpress, the two stamps that'll be released for Charles and Camilla's wedding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	109984  
Old 03-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

The one that is on an angle isn't the greatest pic ever.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

today from reuters...

Media barred from royal wedding
Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 AM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS
By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - The last time Prince Charles walked down the aisle, 800 million television viewers watched him tie the knot with Princess Diana.

This time around, the future king is down to just a handful of witnesses when he marries longtime lover Camilla Parker Bowles in a civil ceremony at the town hall in Windsor.

The media are to be excluded from the nuptials, with Charles ever wary of comparisons between the marriages in a country where most people oppose Camilla ever becoming queen.

A spokesman for the prince told Reuters on Tuesday: "It was never intended that the civil ceremony should be televised as it was always planned to be a relatively small, personal occasion."

Just 30 people will witness Charles' marriage on April 8 to Parker Bowles, the woman forever blamed for destroying his "fairytale" marriage to the late Diana.

Among those attending will be Charles' sons Princes William and Harry as well as Camilla's son and daughter.

The Queen, who has been slow to accept her eldest son's 35-year affair with the now divorced mother of two, has decided not to attend the civil ceremony in what has been widely interpreted as a snub to the couple.

In 1981, Charles married his radiant virgin bride Diana in great splendour at St Paul's Cathedral.

The streets of the capital were packed with thousands of cheering well-wishers and the ceremony was televised worldwide.

Following Diana's death in a Paris car crash in 1997, the worldwide television audience almost trebled for her funeral.

Charles still faces another tricky choice over his marriage to Camilla.

No decision has been made yet on whether the media will be allowed afterwards into the church blessing in St George's Chapel within the grounds of Windsor Castle.

The service is being conducted by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans.

Televising the blessing is a sensitive issue because both Charles and Camilla are divorced and, as future king, Charles will take on the title of Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Church rules were changed in 2003 so that it would be possible "in exceptional circumstances" for divorcees to remarry in church. The decision is for the local parish priest to make in each case.

The marriage plans have already dissolved into a comedy of errors with the venue changed from Windsor Castle to the town hall because of a mix-up over marriage licences. Constitutional experts also question the legality of a civil ceremony.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

From The Church Times:

An interesting article from when the wedding was first announced...

Civil wedding for Prince of Wales

THE Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles are to marry on 8 April in a "largely private" civil ceremony at Windsor Castle, followed by a service of prayer and dedication in St George's Chapel, Windsor, at which the Archbishop of Canterbury will preside.

In a statement from Lambeth Palace yesterday, the Archbishop said: "These arrangements have my strong support and are consistent with Church of England guidelines concerning remarriage which the Prince of Wales fully accepts as a committed Anglican and as prospective Supreme Governor of the Church of England."

The statement also said: "I am pleased that Prince Charles and Mrs Camilla Parker-Bowles have decided to take this important step. I hope and pray that it will prove a source of comfort and strength to them and to those who are closest to them."

It was announced from Clarence House that after the marriage Mrs Parker Bowles will use the title HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, and that, when the Prince accedes to the throne, she will use the title HRH The Princess Consort.

The Church of England's official practice concerning the marriage of divorcees has undergone many changes since the Abdication crisis in 1936, which followed King Edward VIII's decision to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson. At that time, there was a prevailing view in the Church of England that marriage was indissoluble.

The most recent changes were finalised in November 2002, when the General Synod rescinded resolutions of the Convocations of Canterbury and York requiring that the Church of England marriage service was not to be used for a divorcee whose former spouse was still living. The decision is now left with the officiant, who is expected to seek his or her bishop's advice.

Since the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, from whom Prince Charles was divorced, his marital status has presented no obstacle to a church wedding. Mrs Parker Bowles, however, is a divorcee, with a former husband still living.

The House of Bishops' advice to the clergy on deciding whether or not to allow a marriage in church is contained in the June 2002 report Marriage in Church after Divorce.

The report advises the parish clergy to ask themselves, among other questions: "Would the effects of the proposed marriage on individuals, the wider community and the Church be such as to undermine the credibilty of the Church's witness on marriage?" and "Would permitting the new marriage be tantamount to consecrating an old infidelity?"

The Common Worship Order for Prayer and Dedication after a Civil Marriage is the current version of a service introduced nationally in 1985, when the General Synod was in an impasse in its discussions on marriage after divorce.

The Bishop of Gloucester, the Rt Revd Michael Perham, in whose diocese the couple live and worship, welcomed yesterday's announcement, and said: "The issue of marriage in church is a sensitive one. We need to trust the judgement of the Dean of Windsor, if that is where they are to be married, as to what kind of service would be appropriate and helpful. In that respect they are like any other couple in similar circumstances seeking the blessing of the Church on their marriage."

Since St George's Chapel is a Royal Peculiar, there must be some doubt whether it is bound to adhere to provisions in Common Worship. But the Common Worship Order of Prayer and Dedication, popularly referred to as a "service of blessing", includes optional opening prayers of penitence, and an optional blessing of wedding rings, for which the couple's hands are extended; but there is not an exchange of rings.

The order may take place within a celebration of holy communion. It may include a sermon and hymns. The dedication of the couple ends with a prayer that the couple may have grace to persevere, and a blessing over them (separately from the final blessing of the congregation). "Other prayers" may be used.

The couple "enter the church without ceremony and sit together at the front of the church"; there are no banns, nor any entry made in the marriage register. The order need not be led by a priest. If the Common Worship order is used, it can be assumed to lie mainly within the discretion of Dean of Windsor how far in other respects the service will resemble a Church of England wedding.

Prince Charles and other members of the royal family have consistently shown a preference for services or prayers from the 1662 Prayer Book or, in practice, the Church of England's lightly revised version of some of the services in that book, known as "Series 1" and based on the abortive 1928 revision.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

I hope that they decide to broadcast the church part of the wedding.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

But he had his first wedding broadcasted.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Another Article about the wedding:

Thirty people to attend Prince Charles's civil ceremony, media banned

LONDON (AFP) - Only 30 people will witness the civil wedding between Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles next month and no media are invited, the prince's office said.

The low-key ceremony at a town hall in Windsor, just outside London, will be in stark contrast to Charles's first marriage to the late Princess Diana, which was watched by more than 750 million television viewers worldwide.

"There will be 30 people... the civil ceremony was always intended to be a personal occasion," said a spokeswoman for his office at Clarence House.

No reporters or television cameras would be allowed to attend the ceremony on April 8 at Windsor's Guildhall, she told AFP.

Charles's sons William and Harry, as well as Parker Bowles's two children from her first marriage, would attend the service, a source close to the royal family said late Monday.

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip have decided to stay away but they will take part in a subsequent church blessing in St George's Chapel at nearby Windsor Castle along with some 700 other guests.

A decision has yet to be made on whether the media would be allowed to attend the later service of prayer and dedication, the spokeswoman said.

Prince Charles had originally wanted to marry in Windsor Castle, but the marriage permit would have required opening up the castle to any members of the public who wanted to marry there over the next three years.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Going back to the stamps for a moment... they aren't particularly flattering colours... but I think the pictures show who they are quite well: their personalities and I like the stamps because of it.

They look like two happy people, happy in each other's company - and I think that's lovely.

I actually think Prince Charles looks quite lovely laughing - good to see him happy.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny
Going back to the stamps for a moment... they aren't particularly flattering colours... but I think the pictures show who they are quite well: their personalities and I like the stamps because of it.

They look like two happy people, happy in each other's company - and I think that's lovely.

I actually think Prince Charles looks quite lovely laughing - good to see him happy.
I agree trinny. I think the stamps aren't as glamorous as the ones of Charles and Diana so many moons ago, but they do represent Charles and Camilla as a couple and as individuals very well. They both love the country and all that it entails and the picture of them is, while formal, also very natural of the two of them smiling. No forced smiles.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, engagement, prince charles, prince of wales