Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
grecka said:
I think I just gagged at the thought of Camilla "Horsey" Bowles assuming the titles of Princess Diana. This lady is way out of that one's league and always will be. As for my own opinion, i think the moment Camilla becomes either Princess of Wales or Queen outright, the British people will come to their senses and throw Charles off the throne. He'll just scurry off into some nicely decorated manor in the English countryside with his horsey wife and his horsey life and his horsey self and never be seen again. And everyone will live happily ever after.

Grecka,
Do you have a problem with "horsey" people or just Camilla? You will find that most "horsey" people, as you call us, are down to earth, realistic types. I think that were you to ask a broad cross-section of British people their opinion of Charles capability to be a good King you would be amazed at the support he has.

yes, thank you for posting that, I did not know how to put it in words.

It might not be grecka's intention but I object to the tone of telling us, as if knowing for sure, how everybody feels about charles and camilla. It is not clear that she is just speaking for herself.

wymanda said:
Grecka,
Do you have a problem with "horsey" people or just Camilla? You will find that most "horsey" people, as you call us, are down to earth, realistic types. I think that were you to ask a broad cross-section of British people their opinion of Charles capability to be a good King you would be amazed at the support he has.

While this weekend Clarence House seemed like the date definatley wouldn't be postponed it is now saying it is "assesing the situation". From Reuters:

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Charles may postpone his marriage Friday to Camilla Parker Bowles because it clashes with the funeral of Pope John Paul in Rome.

The heir to the British throne cut short his skiing holiday in Switzerland Monday and flew back to London so he and longtime lover Parker Bowles could attend a commemoration service for the pontiff in London's Westminster Abbey.

Now his wedding plans -- already plagued by a string of problems -- could also be changed.

A spokesman for Charles said the wedding was still formally scheduled for Friday. "But we remain sensitive to events that are happening elsewhere around the world and are continuing to assess the situation," he added.

The timing could also cause protocol problems for Prime Minister Tony Blair and Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Williams, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans, is due to officiate at a service of blessing for Charles and Camilla after their civil ceremony wedding.

Asked if he planned to fly to Rome instead, a spokeswoman for Williams said: "We have no news from here."

Blair, a wedding guest, could also face a diplomatic headache. He has already put off Monday's expected announcement of a May 5 election out of respect for the Pope, who died on Saturday aged 84.

Now he may be going to Rome Friday.

"We'll let people know as soon as possible about any decision. The prime minister is fully aware of the sensitivities of everyone in this country," Blair's spokesman said.

Former Buckingham Palace spokesman Dickie Arbiter called the situation "an absolute nightmare."

"They will certainly be scratching their heads on what direction to go," he added. Charles' wedding plans have been dogged from the outset by unexpected snarl-ups -- the venue was switched in a mixup over marriage licenses, constitutional experts questioned the legality of a civil ceremony and Queen Elizabeth has declined to attend

I checked out the British Royal Message Board, and someone wrote that Charles
"low-key wedding will be turned into a no-key wedding" if he keeps the Friday time.

I think Clarence House's first statement may show just how Charles "out of touch" is.

I think may royals who were going to the wedding will be in Rome.

Reports also say that Charles, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and Prime Minister Tony Blair may wish to attend the Pope's funera. The last two were expected to attend the royal wedding.

Last edited:
US news stations have just reported Charles' wedding will now be held on Saturday.

Charles to Rome on Friday..... Wedding postponed to Saturday (Just announced on Sky News)

Thanks, I read the report on Sky News.

Is Camilla Parker Bowles going to Rome with Charles?

Thanks for the update marzedote and wymanda.

Saturday is probably a better day anyway. I always wondered why it was originally scheduled for a Friday.

Wonder what will happen to the weddings/other celebrations originally scheduled for Saturday at the Guildhall? I'm sure there will be some fall out if other celebrations were unsurped for Charles and Camilla's big day.

I am glad to hear that they are postponing the wedding and that Charles is attending the funeral. Thank goodness that are using good judgement.

Alexandria said:
I always wondered why it was originally scheduled for a Friday.

Perhaps because the Grand National Steeplechase is on Saturday & there is always big media coverage of that in Britain.

Alexandria said:

Saturday is probably a better day anyway. I always wondered why it was originally scheduled for a Friday.

Wonder what will happen to the weddings/other celebrations originally scheduled for Saturday at the Guildhall? I'm sure there will be some fall out if other celebrations were unsurped for Charles and Camilla's big day.

The Guildhall is available in the Morning if Prince Charles wishes to use it, however the afternoon is booked up by three other couples and Clarence House anounced that there was no question of asking the other couples to change their plans. Alternativly the registry office is also available sunday, apparently Charles and Camilla will fit around other bookings, however i would imagine this may affect the guest list.

BBC Link

Last edited:
Splodger said:
The Guildhall is available in the Morning if Prince Charles wishes to use it, however the afternoon is booked up by three other couples and Clarence House anounced that there was no question of asking the other couples to change their plans. Alternativly the registry office is also available sunday, apparently Charles and Camilla will fit around other bookings, however i would imagine this may affect the guest list.

BBC Link

Thanks for the info Splodger. It's a good thing the Guidhall was not schedule for any other celebrations or services -- I can imagine the huge ruckus and flap that would've been made if Charles and Camilla had wanted to unsurp others of their celebrations in favour of them.

grecka said:
I think I just gagged at the thought of Camilla "Horsey" Bowles assuming the titles of Princess Diana. This lady is way out of that one's league and always will be. As for my own opinion, i think the moment Camilla becomes either Princess of Wales or Queen outright, the British people will come to their senses and throw Charles off the throne. He'll just scurry off into some nicely decorated manor in the English countryside with his horsey wife and his horsey life and his horsey self and never be seen again. And everyone will live happily ever after.

Speaking as one of the British people, I'm perfectly happy for him to become king. I think it'll do a lot more harm to the monarchy if people start thinking they can pick and choose who succeeds to the throne; once it becomes a popularity contest, you might as well just have a republic with an elected head of state like the USA.

There are kings and consorts who are more or less well respected; you can't just say that the ones we don't like so much should be shunted aside. Charles has a lot of experience in knowing about the constitutional part of the role of monarch, and that's more important than whether people like his wife. It would not be good for the country or for William to have him succeed to the throne while too young. There's a lot more to being king than the popularity of his wife.

Alexandria said:

Alexandria, it's possible it was scheduled for a weekday so that members of the public could have their weddings there on Saturdays, which tend to be the most popular day of the week for weddings. I assume the Register Office does Saturday weddings at any rate. It's almost always the case that royal weddings take place during the week.

Off-topic post:

Susan Alicia, I'm trying to respond to your private message, and I'm being told your inbox is full. If you go and delete some of your saved messages, I'll send my response to you.

Elspeth said:
... There's a lot more to being king than the popularity of his wife.

HEAR HEAR!

It makes me sick the way people go on about how Camilla looks ("horsey Camilla") as if it means anything... what matters is whether she loves Prince Charles and she obviously does.

Princess Diana doesn't own the title of Princess of Wales ... many women had it before her and hopefully many women will have it after her.

Yes she was loved by many, myself included, but she doesn't have a monopoly on the title,

What is more important somebody's title or what kind of person they are?

That's what matters not what they are called.

it definitely matters what kind of person you are but I also think it matters what you are called. Am referring not to titles but to the word horsey, that description is boring and unpleasant

trinny said:
HEAR HEAR!

It makes me sick the way people go on about how Camilla looks ("horsey Camilla") as if it means anything... what matters is whether she loves Prince Charles and she obviously does.

Princess Diana doesn't own the title of Princess of Wales ... many women had it before her and hopefully many women will have it after her.

Yes she was loved by many, myself included, but she doesn't have a monopoly on the title,

What is more important somebody's title or what kind of person they are?

That's what matters not what they are called.

susan alicia said:
it definitely matters what kind of person you are but I also think it matters what you are called. Am referring not to titles but to the word horsey, that description is boring and unpleasant

I agree ... it's also very rude.

Well, I suppose that as long as the Prime Minister and the Archbishop were expected to be in Rome for the Pope's funeral, there wasn't much choice about postponing the wedding. Having done that, it would have looked bad for Charles to be sitting around in the UK waiting for them to get back - it would sort of make him look irrelevant - so sending him to the funeral was the obvious choice.

(Isn't hindsight wonderful?)

I hope the Duke of Norfolk gets to go too, though. I don't think Britain's Catholics would be well represented by the Prince of Wales, who's not only Anglican but effectively forbidden from even marrying a Catholic.

Oh my God!
Charles won´t invite Sarah Ferguson to his wedding ´couse he still angry with her since they argued in 1999
Incredible

what did they argue about :D ? do you know??

Piewi said:
Oh my God!
Charles won´t invite Sarah Ferguson to his wedding ´couse he still angry with her since they argued in 1999
Incredible

It is Charles' wedding and as it's not a state wedding but a more private affair, Charles can invite whomever he wants. And even if it were a state affair, as the ex-wife of his brother, Sarah isn't necessarily guranteed an invitiation.

It would be one thing if Andrew and Sarah were still married and Charles didn't want to invite her because of an argument they had in 1999, but as his ex-sister-in-law there is no obligation, moral or state, on Charles' part to invite Sarah.

So I don't think he's being stubborn or petty or anything like that -- it's within his right and choice to exclude and include anyone he so desires.

Thanks God they moved the wedding. I just couldn't imagine the Pope's funeral on Friday and Charles getting marry at the same time.

Anyway, Charles did so many stupid things in his life and this wedding is shame for him and the royal family. He has to take the responsibility for being born into a royal family and being in line to become a king. If you pick somebody from the street, he will make better king than Charles. With this wedding and Charles becoming a king one day, I should say that it is the beginning of the end for the British monarchy

really, I don´t know Susan Alicia. the article says that they argued in a dinner in Charles house, in Highgrove
Anyway, Charles did so many stupid things in his life and this wedding is shame for him and the royal family. He has to take the responsibility for being born into a royal family and being in line to become a king. If you pick somebody from the street, he will make better king than Charles. With this wedding and Charles becoming a king one day, I should say that it is the beginning of the end for the British monarchy
I definitly agree with you Victoria1999, British monarchy is going down with all this mess. Charles did desastes and i think that he´ll pay for his error (and for the other people too) and maybe not only him, all the British monarchy

HMQueenElizabethII said:
It will be shown in Australia on Thursday 7th April.

Cool. You´ll have to tell us your thoughts on it then.

Sorry Warren,do 7 and 9 change the wedding coverage into Saturday?Because i just read the progrrams from their sites but it still on Friday,they have not changed yet.

TV coverage

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Sorry Warren,do 7 and 9 change the wedding coverage into Saturday?Because i just read the progrrams from their sites but it still on Friday,they have not changed yet.

HMQEII

We'll have to wait until the programmers get their acts together, and then update the sites. I'm sure they will cover it, but they have to re-organise their TV crews and commentators in London etc. Neither channel has any sporting commitments on Saturday night this week.

W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom