Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will all these other royals be at the wedding or just at the service of blessing and the reception? It seems strange that the Queen has declined to attend the wedding and then a bunch of European royals do attend.

These Royals will be at the Church Blessing in St George's Chapel and at the Wedding Reception at Windsor Castle,Elspeth.

Legal cloud evaporates!

Wymanda said:
Where do these journalists dredge up this garbage!!

Wymanda, as we know, they just make it up.

I like the Daily Mail's reference to "the serious legal cloud that was hanging over the wedding."

This cloud seems to have evaporated rather quickly, along with the legal objections by the members of the so-called "Diana Circle".

We were first!

HMQueenElizabethII said:
The news Camilla will be Queen Consort!

It seems to have taken the British media a month or more to catch up with what we have been saying on TRF.

This "news" comes as no surprise; as usual, we are well ahead of the pack!

If the press has any sense, their royal reporters will be reading TRF! We'll keep them up to date!

From what I've heard, if Camilla insists on not being called Queen, the British government will have to enact special legislation to make provisions for her to be called Princess Consort. Similar legislations will have to be enacted in other countries where the Queen is head of state.
I was thinking that Prince Charles must've known something like this would happen. I dont see how he could be ignorant of the constitutional requirements, considering he is to be King one day. Perhaps he was hoping that if he and Camilla announce that she'll only be Princess Consort, people would realize that she doesnt care about being Queen. And once the government declares that she automatically will be, people wont react too badly to the news.

From BBC News:

Camilla 'has no wish to be Queen'

Camilla Parker Bowles wants the title of Princess Consort, not Queen, when the Prince of Wales becomes King, Clarence House has said.

Mrs Parker Bowles' wishes were enough and legislation would not be needed on the issue, communications secretary Paddy Harverson said.

Ministers have said that Mrs Parker Bowles would be entitled to be known as Queen unless the law were changed.

The couple are to marry at Windsor Guildhall on 8 April.

"Legislation would only be required if it was deemed necessary to confirm formally that she should not have the title and status of Queen," said Mr Harverson

The government agreed she could choose the title of Princess Consort, Mr Haverson added.

'Less than frank'

On Monday Labour MP Andrew McKinlay had accused Prince Charles of being "less than frank with the country" over the issue.

"He [Prince Charles] knows that it was established in 1936 that the King's spouse automatically becomes Queen unless there is a law passed to the contrary," McKinlay told BBC Radio 4:

"I think he is deliberately holding this wedding under the smokescreen of a general election."

Following Clarence House's announcement on Tuesday, the Thurrock MP said: "We are being asked to accept that the law is what they say it is. I don't accept that.

"They have missed the point. This is not a matter for them, it is matter for Parliament. Parliament is the custodian of the constitution."

'Queen Camilla'

The BBC's royal correspondent Peter Hunt earlier said the need for a new law was not considered pressing.

"Given the present monarch's rude health, legislative action may not be needed for many years," he said.

"Then, with a new King on the throne, Parliament could either grant the couple their declared wish that the King's wife be known as Princess Consort, or no action might be taken because, with the passage of time, the majority of the population would have come to accept the idea of a Queen Camilla."

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/03/22/charlescamilla/

Souvenirs Toast Royal Wedding

22 MARCH 2005

Anyone intending to raise a toast to Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles on the day of their wedding will be able to do so in appropriately regal style, as the Royal Collection has issued two bone china tankards to mark the occasion.

The £20 pieces, which go on sale March 26 at royal residences like Windsor and Buckingham Palace, are decorated with 22 carat gold and the bear the names of the bride and groom along with the date of their big day. Handmade in Staffordshire, they also feature Camilla's personal motif, two entwined letter Cs, below the feather of the heir apparent.

Unofficial mementos of the royal wedding have also been flooding the high street. Shop windows around the UK are displaying everything from commemorative keyrings to "Charles and Camilla" tea-towels and flags in anticipation of the occasion.

Some souvenirs take a light-hearted approach to the upcoming union, with T-shirts bearing caricatures of the Prince of Wales and his fiancée becoming hot sellers

1.The official Charles and Camilla tankards
2.More mass-market offerings include such as inexpensive items as key rings
3.Retailers have wasted no time in meeting the demand for wedding memorabilia
4.A tea towel bearing the faces of the Prince of Wales and his fiancée set against the Union flag
5.A tongue-in-cheek t-shirt bearing the couple's image
6.Unofficial souvenirs of the forthcoming wedding are flooding gift shops around the country
7.Caricature masks of the Prince of Wales and his bride-to-be are also on sale

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 90
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 135
Camilla Parker Bowles wants the title of Princess Consort, not Queen, when the Prince of Wales becomes King, Clarence House has said.

Too bad. If he's king, she's queen, regardless of what she wants to call herself. Maybe she'll just have to put up with a situation she doesn't want, just like Diana had to put up with having Camilla in the marriage for all those years. I'm sure the position of royal mistress is a lot less onerous than a position that involves a life of constant duties and regimentation, but that's what she's got herself into and now she needs to just shut up and make the best of it.

hello folks
has there been anyone is royal family's history to marry a women and she wasnt not name queen when her husband became king? so, if not in the past this would mean that after charles becomes king camilla would become queen by default, right?

and by the looks of things she will be pick on by press in a bad way. because she dosent have the grace or the image diana had.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with you more Elpseth. It does seem that Camilla wants all the rights and privligies of being OUR Queen but with none of the reponsibility. That does sum up her whole life. Alll the rights of sleeping with Charles. Playing mistress at Highgrove etc etc but not any of the day to day work that is involved with being Princess of Wales. This wedding is a shambles. All the republicians are climbing out of the woodwork. Up until now I have kept my opinion of CPB to myself as she was a private individual but now that she is marrying Prince Charles she is fair game like any other member of The Royal Family

has there been anyone is royal family's history to marry a women and she wasnt not name queen when her husband became king?

As far as I can remember, the only time it's happened was when George IV, as Prince of Wales, married Maria Fitzherbert secretly. He married Princess Caroline after that, so he effectively had two wives at that point, although since he married Mrs Fitzherbert without the consent (or probably even the knowledge) of the King, that marriage was probably invalid. Mrs Fitzherbert obviously didn't become Queen when George became King; Princess Caroline did become Queen, but she was locked out of the Abbey during George's coronation. Set against that whole business, Charles's marital escapades loook positively pedestrian.

British law doesn't allow for morganatic marriage. That's what was so strange about the way they managed to deprive the Duchess of Windsor of the HRH title after she married the Duke. It seems to be generally acknowledged nowadays that that action was legally very dubious.

Georgia said:
I couldn't agree with you more Elpseth. It does seem that Camilla wants all the rights and privligies of being OUR Queen but with none of the reponsibility. That does sum up her whole life. Alll the rights of sleeping with Charles. Playing mistress at Highgrove etc etc but not any of the day to day work that is involved with being Princess of Wales. This wedding is a shambles. All the republicians are climbing out of the woodwork. Up until now I have kept my opinion of CPB to myself as she was a private individual but now that she is marrying Prince Charles she is fair game like any other member of The Royal Family

I hadn't heard that Camilla was not going to take on any royal duties, not perform the duties of hostess at official functions held by the Prince of Wales or stand at his side when he deputises for the Queen. Those will be her responsibilities of her role. She already has a couple of patronages (Osteoporosis for one) that, as a private citizen, she did not have to do but she has taken her duties in this role seriously and I have no doubt that she will be just as diligent in her duties to other causes she will take on as Duchess of Cornwall.

elizahawthorne said:
what exactly is a morganatic marriage?

My understanding is that it is where a wife does not assume the Rank & Style of her husband. Probably the best two examples are

1. The Duchess of Windsor who was not granted the HRH held by her husband.

2. Lillian, Princess de Rethy whos husband was the King of the Belgians

The other thing about a morganatic marriage is that the children don't inherit the father's title.

Morganatic marriage seemed to be used mainly in the German aristocracy and royalty; it doesn't exist in British law, where a wife automatically takes her husband's rank. The irony of the Duke of Windsor's situation was that while he was king he was told that morganatic marriage wouldn't be possible, but once he abdicated, morganatic marriage is exactly what he got.

Any more announcement of the Guests List at the wedding?I just known Queen Beatrix,Prince WA,Princess Maxima,Prince Haakon,Princess Mette-Marit and Grand Duke Henri will attend.TRH Prince frederik and Princess Mary of denmark have turned down the invitation to attend the Wedding.

Get in now!

Wymanda said:
I hadn't heard that Camilla was not going to take on any royal duties.

I am also unaware that Camilla has made a public statement saying that she doesn't intend to play any public role or perform any public duties.

Curious how some people are already criticising Camilla for not performing duties as consort to the Prince of Wales when she is not even married to him yet.

If effect she is being criticised for what she is alleged to be NOT doing in the FUTURE. Very much a case of having a go at her now before there is anything of substance to actually pass comment on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganatic_marriage For anybody wishing to read more on Morganatic marriages.

Countess Danner, who might be known to people having studied Danish Royal History, is an example of Morganaic marriage. (http://www.rosenborgslot.dk/v1/person.asp?PersonID=39&countryID=2&PersonTypeID=2)

I read that the Danish royal house won't be represented at all, because CP Frederik is in Greenland at the time, and Mary won't do it on her own. The Danish royal family also regards the invitations as issued to the person, not the family, so they're not sending someone representing Denmark.

A Sweet Story

From today's Sydney Daily Telegraph...

PENSIONER PEN PAL INVITED TO ROYAL WEDDING CELEBRATIONS

Auckland. A New Zealand woman, who has been a pen pal of Camilla Parker Bowles for the past nine years, has been invited to next month's Royal Wedding celebrations in London.

"It's quite exciting news, I'm absolutely gobsmacked," said the 73-year old.

I have to renew my passport, I didn't think I would be leaving this town [Greymouth] again without being in a box," she said.

She has never met the couple but received a Christmas card from them last year.

With all the negative publicity the couple have received in recent years, the woman decided to start sending Mrs Parker Bowles positive media clippings to let her know it wasn't all bad.

"If they said she had a face like a horse...or mentioned the Prince's ears I wouldn't send [the clippings].

"I only sent them nice things."

The woman has been invited to attend the blessing in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle following the civil ceremony, and the reception.

When asked what she could expect at the wedding reception, she replied "Just finger food. There's 800 people going you know; you try serving white-bait patties to that many people."

I am also unaware that Camilla has made a public statement saying that she doesn't intend to play any public role or perform any public duties.

I don't think she has, and I don't think she actually would do so since that isn't how most of the royals conduct business, but Clarence House is making all sorts of statements giving the impression that she's going to try to stay in the background even after her marriage. It's one thing for her to not take the Princess of Wales title since that title is associated with Diana and it would be the height of insensitivity for Camilla to take it over in light of the history involved. But the statement about her being known as Princess Consort after Charles's accession is simply bizarre in the context of the British legal system. If nothing else, the Abdication made it quite clear that there's no way round the reality that the wife of the king becomes queen unless special legislation is passed, including legislation in other Commonwealth countries. Whoever it was at Clarence House who put out the statement about her being Princess Consort must have known that sooner or later (and very probably sooner) questions would be asked about the legality of this situation and they'd have to come out with some sort of clarification. They made it look as though she was trying to avoid the position and responsibilities of Queen Consort.

Between that and the debacle over the location of the wedding ceremony, it would appear that Charles has got himself some pretty worthless advisors.

Warren said:
From today's Sydney Daily Telegraph...

PENSIONER PEN PAL INVITED TO ROYAL WEDDING CELEBRATIONS

Auckland. A New Zealand woman, who has been a pen pal of Camilla Parker Bowles for the past nine years, has been invited to next month's Royal Wedding celebrations in London.

"It's quite exciting news, I'm absolutely gobsmacked," said the 73-year old.

I have to renew my passport, I didn't think I would be leaving this town [Greymouth] again without being in a box," she said.

She has never met the couple but received a Christmas card from them last year.

With all the negative publicity the couple have received in recent years, the woman decided to start sending Mrs Parker Bowles positive media clippings to let her know it wasn't all bad.

"If they said she had a face like a horse...or mentioned the Prince's ears I wouldn't send [the clippings].

"I only sent them nice things."

The woman has been invited to attend the blessing in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle following the civil ceremony, and the reception.

When asked what she could expect at the wedding reception, she replied "Just finger food. There's 800 people going you know; you try serving white-bait patties to that many people."
Aww. What a nice story! Thanks for the article.

Official for the wedding announced!

From Getty: Superintendent Registrar Clair Williams meets the press. She has been chosen to conduct the wedding ceremony for the PoW and Camilla in April. Here she is in the Ascot Room, where it is said that the ceremony will take place:

Attachments

• 52469023.jpg
    52469023.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 137
  • 52469031.jpg
    52469031.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 52469036.jpg
    52469036.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 52469073.jpg
    52469073.jpg