The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
But what can we think if after the marriage Camilla will attend lots of Royal Events with higher Royalty than her and also talk and laugh to The Queen?How can she have that position?

don't you think that privately they talk and laugh together, she already has that position

about the curtsying, elspeth will know for sure but it seems to me that once she is the wife of the prince of wales, anne and sophie will have to curtsy to her at public events. It has nothing to do with emotions, it is a formality with wich they probably have no problem with
As far as I know, the princesses did not have to curtsey to the Princess of Wales. Even though the Prince of Wales is the heir they are of equal rank.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

David Frost's Program

Splodger posted a link to David Frost's program this morning which discussed Charles and Camilla's engagement and wedding. Two editors, Dr. David Starkey, a representative from the Church of England and Prince Charles's long time friend King Constantine of Greece were guests.

You can see the entire program at the link Sploger has provided, see his post #162,
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...850#post175850.

A few highlights:
The Spencer family (Earl Spencer and Diana's two sisters) have been invited but apparently Charles hopes they will not come. (The female editor wondered why invite them in the first place then.)

The female editor (wish I had caught her name) said that the rumours of William and Harry being disappointed with the decision or that they dislike Camilla are untrue. It's the media who doesn't like this engagement or Camilla because they wanted another Diana who would be glamourous and sell papers. (Norwegianne's point, as stated previously.)

King Constantine's comments:
He heard the news when the rest of the world heard it, while he was in Paris for an Olympics conference.

He's delighted for them.

He thinks the marriage is a good thing for both of them and their families.

The most important thing to William and Harry that their father be happy and that that in turn brings happiness to them.

He says the marriage will make both of their lives easier because now they can always be together in public life.

He thinks that they are a great team and the best of friends.

The King describes Camilla as being full of fun, having a great sense of humour, very interested in how others are doing and asking them questions about their life.

Peace of mind has always been important to Charles.

From his own experience, King Constantine says that it's nearly impossible to do this (be a King) kind of work without the kind of support Camilla would be offering. And that such support is imperative.

King Constantine felt that Charles would be a "philospher king."

Dr. David Starkey's comments:
He feels the Duchess of Cornwall/Princess Consort title was merely a "heading off situation." For now Camilla would be the Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Consort when Charles ascends the throne. But that by the time Charles does become King they are hoping that opinons will change enough for Camilla to become Queen.

(What others have already said in this thread): Camilla will be Queen because that is what the Constitution states unless there is a change in parliament to make not make Camilla Queen.

He said the coronation ceremony itself is a long and tedious occasion and that for Charles it would soften the process and humanize it to have someone next to him.

On the topic of it being a morganic(sp) marriage, he siad: Women are equal nowadays so why not Camilla?

Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
A few highlights:
The Spencer family (Earl Spencer and Diana's two sisters) have been invited but apparently Charles hopes they will not come. (The female editor wondered why invite them in the first place then.)

The female editor (wish I had caught her name) said that the rumours of William and Harry being disappointed with the decision or that they dislike Camilla are untrue. It's the media who doesn't like this engagement or Camilla because they wanted another Diana who would be glamourous and sell papers. (Norwegianne's point, as stated previously.)
The editor was Eve Pollard. Dont forget that they were reveiwing the news papers and that the British Press will say anything to sell a story. They did discuss it but there is no firm evidence at all that William and Harry do not like Camilla and were oposed to the marriage.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:

Are they saying the wedding invitations have gone out already?
I could very well be wrong, but I wouldn't think the invitations have been printed yet!

And I don't think Charles has a problem with Diana's sisters; any problem (if at all) would lie with the Earl Spencer.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Warren]
Quote:

I could very well be wrong, but I wouldn't think the invitations have been printed yet!

And I don't think Charles has a problem with Diana's sisters; any problem (if at all) would lie with the Earl Spencer.
the husband of one of diana's sisters worked for the RF or for charles directly, do not know excactly, while charles and diana were divorced. Perhaps he does not work for them anymore.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren

I don't think the invitations have been printed yet but they should be soon. And they would certainly have a guest list at this point -- the wedding is 6 weeks away, which is roughly the same amount of time all the wedding books say you should be sending out invitations, especially if you are expecting out of town guests.

And a question by the media about Diana's family attending the wedding would be a natural and obvious question that any good public relations person would expect and prepare Charles and Camilla and the palace representatives to answer. The answer, in my personal opinon though, was off. I'm not sure exactly where the answer came from (which of the newspapers printed thsi comment from who at the royal court), but the answer should've been left succintly at "Diana's brother and sisters will be invited to the wedding." Adding the "But we hope they don't come" doesn't really do anything for Charles, Camilla or the royal court. Why invite them if you really don't want them to come; they've broken protocol and royal expectations on various levels so far, so why invite the family of your ex-wife?

(Wonder if they'll invite Andrew Parker-Bowles -- but hope he doesn't come, too.)

Charles also dated one of Diana's sisters, although I don't think there were any hard feelings between them when they broke up and when Charles and Diana became engaged and married.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
the answer should've been left succintly at "Diana's brother and sisters will be invited to the wedding."
Or even better perhaps: "William's and Harry's uncles and aunts will be invited to the wedding."
Old 02-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Or even better perhaps: "William's and Harry's uncles and aunts will be invited to the wedding."
sensitive and intelligent observation, it is their relationship to charles children which makes them important.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

I think that Charles is gonna be king, but maybe for ten or five years. The man has lived for this job and he will do it. It also the best for William, so that he can ajusted to the situation of becoming one day king.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

tonight: for those lucky enough to receive the bbc on tv:

Lawful Impediment?

BBC One, Sunday, 13 February 2005 at 22:15 GMT

In a change to the advertised programme, Panorama asks whether, despite the official line from the palace on her role as Prince Charles' future wife, Camilla Parker Bowles could still become Queen?

Panorama looks at the implications for the future of the Anglican Church posed by Prince Charles' decision to opt for a civil marriage. Rowan Williams, The Archbishop Of Canterbury who will bless the union, has already given his support, saying that it is

"... consistent with Church of England guidelines concerning remarriage which the Prince of Wales fully accepts as a committed Anglican and as prospective Supreme Governor of the Church of England."

But is the rest of the Church of England as willing to follow him down this path?

And do any lawful impediments lie on the path for the couple? Commentators have often pointed to the byzantine tangle of parliamentary law as a possible obstacle. We try to unravel centuries of law-making designed to protect the crown but which could still create problems for it.

Panorama also asks what it means in the ongoing debate over the future of the monarchy. Sunday's programme updates "Queen Camilla?", first broadcast in 2002. Production team:
Reporter: Steve Bradshaw
Producer: Darren Kemp
Editor: Mike Robinson
Deputy Editors: Andrew Bell, Frank Simmonds
Old 02-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Maybe she can attend these events.But never see The Princess Royal or The Countess of Wessex or the Gloucesters,Kents curtsey to her!
Far as I know, as the wife of the Prince of Wales and an HRH, she becomes the second lady in the land. Officially that means the other royal ladies (apart from the Queen) would have to curtsey to her, but I don't think the royal family tends to be so formal, apart from curtseying to the Queen at official functions (not sure about private ones).
Old 02-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
the husband of one of diana's sisters worked for the RF or for charles directly, do not know excactly, while charles and diana were divorced. Perhaps he does not work for them anymore.
Diana's sister Jane is married to Sir Robert Fellowes, who was the Queen's private secretary during most of the Charles-Diana problem years. That must have put Lady Jane in a really difficult situation. Sir Robert resigned from the position as Private Secretary a few years ago (1997 or 1998 or something).
Old 02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well, the idea that he was unfaithful throughout his marriage is disputed. Diana says they never stopped their affair, Charles says he didn't go back to Camilla till his marriage had broken down despite their efforts to make it work. It depends who you believe.
There are many levels of betrayal and unfaithfulness. It's not just the act of sleeping with someone else. Deep emotional intimacy with someone else could be seen as an act of betrayal. Talking about your spouse, your marriage, and important discussions with your spouse, with another person could be seen as an act of betrayal. He had an emotional connection with Camilla throughout his engagement and marriage to Diana, he slept with Camilla during his marriage to Diana, he most likely told Camilla intimate details about his marriage to Diana. The list of emotional betrayal goes on and on.

About how Diana might have felt: How can you erase doubts about the relationship being over? The other woman was advicing your future husband about how to handle you, the other woman was at your wedding when you got married to the man, your husband of a few hours is calling his ex-lover while on your honeymoon and wearing cufflinks the other woman gave him. How would a 19-year-old woman react to something like that? I'd have doubts that the relationship was over.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

who will attend to watch Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding

Earl and Countess of Wessex?
Duke of York?
Princess of Royal?
Prince William and Prince Harry?
intives friends from countries includes Crown Prince and Crown Princess,King and Queen and more!

make lists who will attend for Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding

not make lavish like in 1981 Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer have it! if have lavish same in 1981 i hates it! if Diana would be here!

Sara Boyce
Old 02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

How can anyone think that William and Harry are happy with this. Sorry but that is bull. And I think that Charles shoudl abdicate. This is all a mess.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981

Duke of York?
Princess of Royal?
intives friends from countries includes Crown Prince and Crown Princess,King and Queen and more!

not make lavish like in 1981 Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer have it! if have lavish same in 1981 i hates it! if Diana would be here!

Sara Boyce
I dont think it will be a very big wedding. It isnt a State Wedding so I doubt that there will be 'that' many who will go, just friends and family. Although several forign royal's may go, this will be as friends as oposed to as Heads of State. I am sure many British Royals will be there and people like King Constantine & Anne Marie will go as close friends, however when Anne married Timothy Lawrence it was VERY small gathering compared to her wedding to Mark Phillips. Besides, St Georges Chapple isnt big enough to hold a large number of guests.

Is anyone going to Windsor from the message board? I know it is 'sad' of me, but I have already booked the day off work to go, so look out for me with my flag if anyone else goes!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
How can anyone think that William and Harry are happy with this. Sorry but that is bull. And I think that Charles shoudl abdicate. This is all a mess.
There doesnt seem to be any official or reliable souce to say whether the boys are happy or not. Having been in the same situation, it is one of the hardest things to understand, especialy when your young, that your parents dont love each other and to see them with someone else. However based on how the boys and Charles are infront of the camara together, they seem very devoted.

Why would the boys not want their farther to be with somone who makes him happy. Charles seems to have conducted his whole affair with Camilla at the utmost disrection, it was years before the boys even met Camilla and the public only found out really when Diana told us all on national TV. Parents often have the hard task of ballencing their happeness with that of their childrens. I am sure that if the family life of the Wales' they portray to the media are anythign to go by then Charles will still devote time to being with his son's as he always has.

The only reason i can see they would not be happy that his farther is re-marrying is that their mother is dead. However no one can ever bring Diana back and as for anyone who has lost a parent, life goes on. It isnt as if Diana and Charles were together when she died and he moved Camilla in before Diana was burried. Charles seems to have always done his utmost to protect his children from the media circus sourounding her death and their less than happy life together.

Children are always caught in the middle, regardless of how well or poorly their parents behave to each other. They must have found it equaly as hard for them to have their mother go on national TV and tell everyone how Charles was unfaithfull to her.

The boys are now adults and have their own lives to lead as well as Charles.

I personaly feel this whole situation is only a mess beacuse Diana died a martya. Had Diana still been alive she would probably have married Al-Fyad or something else, maybe even doing something that we the public didnt aprove of and there would be no problem in Charles re-marrying. It is because Diana died so young, whilst so attractive and so charasmatic to the people that we judge Camilla who we know very little about as she has always stayed out of public life, by the memory of a woman who is now imortalised as a victim of a broken marriage. No one would ever have been another Diana, but the marriage was over, and she has passed away and we can not go on beleiving that Charles must remain single for the rest of his life just beacuse we dont have our fairy tale princess anymore.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Very well said Splodger; you've made some excellent points.

I think ultimately William and Harry want their father to be happy, whatever or whomever that means.

Charles and Diana's marriage faltered years and years ago -- not just last year. It's certainly not too soon after their parents breaking up or Diana's death for this decision to come along.

Nothing at this point can bring Diana back so it's not even as if William and Harry have some deeply hidden desire or even a possibility for their parents to reconcile their differences and live heappily ever after.

By all accounts, even by Diana's own account, Charles has always been a good father to his sons. He may not have been a very good husband, and not necessarily a good son or brother, but he's always been a good father whatever his other shortcomings are or may be. I think that if either William or Harry had expressed any hesitation, lack of support or upset feelings about this impending marriage, it would not be happening or Charles would at least wait until his sons had come to terms with the idea of Charles and Camilla getting married before proceeding with it.

I can't imagine that William and Harry are such selfish individuals that they would want their father and Camilla to live in the shadow of their mother and be unhappy the rest of his life.

Charles and Camilla's affair may have caused Diana some heartbreak, but how long do Charles and Camilla need to be blamed for Diana's heartbreak -- of which they are not solely responsible for -- and how long do they need to suffer for it? Does Charles have to give up the role that is his birthright and one which he's been reared for his entire life as retribution? Must Camilla forever be seen as the mistress and never as anything else despite anything else good she does or has done in her life?

Charles and Camilla getting married doesn't diminish Diana's memory or make the work she did while she was alive or her achievements any less significant. Diana will still always be remembered as a glamorous and caring princess who was the loving mother of William and Harry. Nothing I've ever read about Camilla or any comments by Camilla or friends of Charles and Camilla say that she wants to take over Diana's place in the hearts of the people or the hearts of her sons. Camilla only wants to be in Charles's heart -- she doesn't want to be the Queen of Hearts.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess that William and Harry do want their father to be happy. William seems to be mature about the whole thing, but Harry seems like he has been affected so much by the past that he will never be happy with the future.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981

Duke of York?
Princess of Royal?

Sara Boyce
It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sultan of Brunei attend as he and Charles are old freinds. Also King Abdullah and Queen Rania as they seem to be quite freindly.

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, engagement, prince charles, prince of wales