Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ladongas - I suspect by 'they' he was referencing the press, back then the press was trying to marry him off to every eligible woman he was near much as these days they do with Harry. Just a couple of weeks ago the world went mad when it thought Harry was dating Emma what's her name the much loved actress, Harry could easily quip in the future they tried to marry him off to her.

Last edited:
I just watched the program this evening. It was cute and Charles said very nice things about Camilla, William and Harry, but I really didn't find the interview special. I think it would be nice for Charles and Camilla to sit down for an interview. Although the excuse is that Camilla would like the attention to focus on Charles, I think the real reason for Camilla not sitting down for an interview, she, Charles and palace officials would rather not have unwanted questions asked.

The whole thing was nice, but I think Charles has given much better interviews in the past. In this program, I got the impression he really didn't want to say much about anything.

Plus Tricia was a very beautiful girl and seen as the princess of America. She attented the POW's investiture, creating more dreams from the press about a possible transatlantic love match.
They did look cute together, it was hard to resist :

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/w...ixon-daughter-of-the-us-president-posters.jpg

She was a lovely girl, but according to Traphes Bryant's memoir of working at the WH "Dog Days at the White House" the POW was less than impressed with Miss Nixon as a person. He found her pretentious and cold. There was certainly no chemistry between them at all.:sad:

Last edited:
Is there a weblink to the interview? I could not find it on the CNN website. Many thanks

Males wearing those sort of pants seems very much an English upper middle class thing! It should be an interesting interview.

It is more casual wear for gentlemen with a hot potato in the mouth, not necessarily restricted to Britain. You can see these pants on the Continent as well. Eeeerrrrmmmm... I have red trousers as well....

:flowers:

Last edited:
I watched the interview and it wasn't anything special. We basically learned that Camilla is a nice person, Charles is proud of William and Harry and he adores having Prince George around.

I watched the interview and it wasn't anything special. We basically learned that Camilla is a nice person, Charles is proud of William and Harry and he adores having Prince George around.

Well it's more than welcome judging by some headlines lately ...

She was a lovely girl, but according to Traphes Bryant's memoir of working at the WH "Dog Days at the White House" the POW was less than impressed with Miss Nixon as a person. He found her pretentious and cold. There was certainly no chemistry between them at all.:sad:

Yes, I read somewhere that Charles much preferred her sister, Julie Nixon Eisenhower.
He once said the visit was trying, with Nixon always maneuvering to leave him alone with Tricia.

No matter which Nixon lady, anyone of them was "unsuitable" as a bride for the Prince of Wales. We talk about 40 years ago. Back then there was still a "demand" for a lady "with a good descendance", which was the daughter of the Earl Spencer and of the Hon. Frances Roche of the Barons Fermoy.

Now, in 2015, and with the flood of commoners in the Royal Houses, Miss Nixon would probably not have been a problem.

No matter which Nixon lady, anyone of them was "unsuitable" as a bride for the Prince of Wales. We talk about 40 years ago. Back then there was still a "demand" for a lady "with a good descendance", which was the daughter of the Earl Spencer and of the Hon. Frances Roche of the Barons Fermoy.

Now, in 2015, and with the flood of commoners in the Royal Houses, Miss Nixon would probably not have been a problem.

Well by 1972 Mountbatten tried to place one of his granddaughters. Diana was not part of the equation yet.
The Nixon match was more or less a pure invention from the Press, like a possible romance with Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.

Last edited:
Any alliance with a Nixon family member would have been disastrous... given the criminal behaviour of the father...

Well by 1972 Mountbatten tried to place one of his granddaughters. Diana was not part of the equation yet.
The Nixon match was more or less a pure invention from the Press, like a possible romance with Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.

Well, Lady Joanna and Lady Amanda, daughters of Lord John Knatchbull, 7th Baron Brabourne and of Lady Patricia Mountbatten, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma were -of course- excellent "candidates" for the Prince of Wales.

Edwina and India Hicks were daughters of a "commoner" but of course were very much linked with royalty and aristocracy and probably also no problem to marry the Prince of Wales.

It was not so strange that the Earl Mountbatten tried some old-fashioned marriage-policy in his family.

:lol: :flowers:

I was just a kid, but I remember the Marie-Astrid rumors very well. For a while, it seemed that almost every other day some newscaster was making a breathless prediction that an announcement from Buckingham Palace about the engagement of Charles and Marie-Astrid was "imminent".:whistling:

She was a very pretty young princess back in the day. But knowing what I know now about the profoundly Catholic, conservative Belgian and Luxembourgish Royal families, the idea of a Charles/Marie-Astrid pairing was absurd.

I agree, Rudolph. There wasn't really anything special about the interview. Charles said very nice things about his family, but I got the felling he really wasn't into talking about much of anything. He's given better interviews in the past.

Yes, I read somewhere that Charles much preferred her sister, Julie Nixon Eisenhower.

He once said the visit was trying, with Nixon always maneuvering to leave him alone with Tricia.

If true, and if he said so must be so, can you imagine how Tricia was taking it all? :ermm: A pushy father and a (possibly) uncomfortable (offended?) guest to deal with, ouch! :sad:

If I was attracted to the young lady, I know I wouldn't mind the interference from other parties.

So he preferred Julie- she was already married at the time! Guess Charles always liked the unattainable ones.

A brief off-topic comment: back in the day, when the girls were young, Julie was always thought to resemble her dad, and Tricia looked like mom. Now, strangely enough, Julie looks like Pat, and Tricia looks like her father.

I was just a kid, but I remember the Marie-Astrid rumors very well. For a while, it seemed that almost every other day some newscaster was making a breathless prediction that an announcement from Buckingham Palace about the engagement of Charles and Marie-Astrid was "imminent".:whistling:

She was a very pretty young princess back in the day. But knowing what I know now about the profoundly Catholic, conservative Belgian and Luxembourgish Royal families, the idea of a Charles/Marie-Astrid pairing was absurd.

On itself the waters between the Anglican Church and the Roman-Catholic Church were not that deep back then. Now the Church of England has so changed since 40 years ago, still the form of the liturgy, the rites and the Order of Service are not that different from the Roman-Catholic practices. The more liberal teachings, the ordination of ladies as priests and bishops, yes... but that was not the case 4 decades ago.

:lol:

The Duke of Edinburgh & Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg in the times of the rumors (click on the picture to enlarge)

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg on her wedding day (click on the picture to enlarge)

The interview was nice, but a little boring. I did like hearing him speak about his family though. I also enjoyed seeing the footage of him and Camilla out walking.

The one thing I noticed that I hadn't before, is that Charles mumbles when speaking. I was finding it a little difficult to understand him.

[...]
The one thing I noticed that I hadn't before, is that Charles mumbles when speaking. I was finding it a little difficult to understand him.

So father, so son...

The Duke of Cambridge has the same eh... "problem"... which is the mumbling of words when he has to formulate his own sentences.

When the Prince of Wales or his son have to read a speech: no problem. It is the thinking, the construction of corrrect sentences and the precaution with words which makes then mumbling, I think. When they speak, their brains are cracking, avoiding stupid words, avoiding sins against grammar and avoid traps and loopholes...

The Prince of Monaco has a stutter in French, when he has to speak and respond actively on questions. Reading a speech again is no problem. The Crown Prince of Denmark is often criticized for sloppy articulation, swallowing syllabes. He seems to have improved the latest years though.

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic...the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

[...]
I think that Charles would not have rushed into marriage with Camilla but yes had Di not tragically died he would likely have married Cam sooner. The reaction to her death put his plans on hold.. and he waited for several years because of the public reaction, his own sons needing time to get over her death and also the RF needing time to get used to the idea. But had Diana been alive and been seen in other romances I think the public would have more quickly accepted Charles remarrying.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Honestly this would have been the best scenario had Diana lived. Her sons had been out of the house for years and would not be returning except for a few weeks out of the year for the coming years so yes she would have wanted to find companionship.

Dodi was Diana's first public romance, She had been cautious about being seen with other men.. and had waited till a while after her divorce.. so even had Dodi been a much more suitable person, Im not sure what would have happened.. would she have married him? but had he been a nice guy who wasn't an aimless playboy, she might have been seen with him for a time and then finally gotten engaged. I think she was keen to marry again, in spite of what she siad. She was lonely.. her sons were growing up and she had to share them with the RF... and she was rather on and off with her charity work... in the last year or 2. She had been hoping for the romance to work out with Khan.. and had only just given up on it...

I read that Charles decided to marry Camilla when he attended a wedding in Chester, and was not seated beside her. (The reason for his falling out with Hugh Van Cutsem).
It enraged Charles so he promptly married her.

I read that Charles decided to marry Camilla when he attended a wedding in Chester, and was not seated beside her. (The reason for his falling out with Hugh Van Cutsem).
It enraged Charles so he promptly married her.

He didn't "promptly marry her". He couldnt marry iwhtout his mother's permission as queen.. and he couldn't marry in any kind of haste.

He didn't "promptly marry her". He couldnt marry iwhtout his mother's permission as queen.. and he couldn't marry in any kind of haste.

That wedding took place in Nov. 2004, and Charles married Camilla the following April.
I think that is prompt by royal standards.

He wanted to have her by his side for years, even decades ... and he was for years working on the project to get her accepted by the public and his family

Back
Top Bottom