Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same rules apply to whoever's PR

And silly me talking about C&C on the C&C thread!

I think everyone should follow William & Harry's example. Except the fact the Diana is dead, and Charles has married again. They don't seem to do comparisons, so I am not sure why anyone else would seem so concerned.

You are right. But and correct me if I am wrong, if he married Camilla while Diana was still alive, he could not have become king.

Why not? The state recognizes civil divorce. The Cof E performed a blessing of the marriage while Andrew PB was still the living exhusband of Camilla so having a living ex spouse is not a problem for the CofE.
It is also entirely possible by 2005 that Diana herself might have been remarried.

You are right. But and correct me if I am wrong, if he married Camilla while Diana was still alive, he could not have become king.

He still would have been capable of becoming king because the CoE and the parliaments of his future realms all agreed that they didn't have a problem with him remarrying.

Camilla's first husband is still alive and that doesn't pose a problem to the validity of her second marriage.

The Church of England do recognize divorce so i don't think it would be a problem to have an ex wife around. But i could be wrong...

It hard to have a conversation about Charles and Camilla without Diana coming up.

Yet u know the moderators are quick to close a thread for any little thing and that this thread has been closed before because of a rehash of tr love triangle.

The Church of England do recognize divorce so i don't think it would be a problem to have an ex wife around. But i could be wrong...

I was confused, because, and I may have read this and how correct it was I cannot tell, that having a living ex-wife, whether she married or not, would have proved a block for his becoming king. I have no idea and, yes, I thought of APB being around, so I thought well, there may be a different standard for the person who will be crowned.

I was confused, because, and I may have read this and how correct it was I cannot tell, that having a living ex-wife, whether she married or not, would have proved a block for his becoming king. I have no idea and, yes, I thought of APB being around, so I thought well, there may be a different standard for the person who will be crowned.

There would have been no legal block on his becoming King simply for having a living ex-wife, only one created by the media and the public. The only legal block would have been created if he had married or become a Catholic.

It was suggested that had Diana herself remarried and been seen to be happy that would have helped the Prince because it may have taken some of the anger out of those who believed he was the sole cause of all of Diana's unhappiness.

Last edited:

The living ex was an issue during the Abdication Crisis, so I understand your confusion.

70 years ago the CoE's stance was that you couldn't remarry in the Church if you had a living ex-spouse. When Edward wanted to marry Wallis this was one of the many reasons at play.

Today the CoE has changed it's stance on divorce, so living ex-spouses no longer presents a problem. If having a living ex-spouse was a problem then APB would have been one as much as Diana would have, had she still been alive at the time of the wedding.

The idea here is that if a Church doesn't recognize divorce then in the eyes of said Church an individual with a living ex-spouse is still married to that spouse. As such, any subsequent marriage undertaken by either is bigamous and invalidated. So, say Person A is a monarch and he divorces Person B in order to marry Person C, who has divorced Person D. If either B or D are alive and the Church doesn't recognize divorce then the marriage is invalid. If both B and D are dead or if the Church recognizes divorce then the marriage is valid.

One of my all-time favorite photos of this couple. I always say actions speak louder than words:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Richard+Beatty+Camilla+Prince+Charles+Visit+7O65_VPUTQol.jpg

What a lovely image, Prince Charles is such a gentleman, he is a great role model for all men in how to treat a lady (or any woman) the right way-nice gesture and very classy :flowers:

Also I like the way he is dressing up in traditional English fashion & he has surely given Camilla some advice on fashion too because she seems to be dressing so much better than before they got married.I know that this fashion-talk is a little bit off topic,but as Prince Charles is a man who appreciates art and good craftmanship I believe that he also cares about good quality clothes and makes an effort to look good in public.
I never disliked Camilla, but in the first pictures I have seen of her (while Diana was still alive) she did not seem to care much about her appearance and I think that her husband has shown her that it is also important to make sure to look appropriate if she wants to be taken seriously.

Now I do not remember where, but I remember reading an article where a person who knew Camilla personally said about her that she has a hippie-mindset,she is very relaxed and generally very pleasant because she is very down-to-earth. This is also the impression that I get from seeing her-Camilla seems to be very uncomplicated and fuss-free, she does not mind getting wet in the rain and also she is laughing a lot & enjoys life. Maybe that impression is wrong, but to me she seems like a balanced, jovial woman with a bright mind and good sense of humour.
Furthermore I admire her strength and good will and I think she was brave to fight for her love!
If I had been in her position I would have left the country when she was so vilified and hated because of the broken marriage.I could never live with all that hate and humiliation and the angry press articles without going insane or giving angry interviews to the press to defend myself :whistling:

Last edited:
:previous: MAybe it was bearable because she had Charles to support her.

Well, Charles really like to look good and he likes his wives to look good too. Charles had mentioned in an interview that he took a great deal of interest in Diana's clothes and I'm sure it's the same with Camilla.

Camilla had a very shabby look back in the 90's. Her fashion has improved along with her confidence in her royal role.

:previous:Camilla had her friends to deal with the media back in the day.

What a lovely image, Prince Charles is such a gentleman, he is a great role model for all men in how to treat a lady (or any woman) the right way-nice gesture and very classy :flowers:

I agree. Those are the little things our mother taught my brothers and me about how to treat a lady properly. However I have been made well aware in real life and on these forums that there are some women who find such gestures sexist and offensive. Sometimes you just can't win:flowers:

Well, Charles really like to look good and he likes his wives to look good too. Charles had mentioned in an interview that he took a great deal of interest in Diana's clothes and I'm sure it's the same with Camilla.

I completely agree with your observations, Prince Charles has changed both Diana and Camilla´s image in a very positive way, he had a good influence on them and he has thought them a lot.
It is very funny, but sometimes I look at Camilla´s clothes and I think to myself "That´s nice, I also want this style" even though I am much younger than her ;-)
What I like about her style is that she choses nice materials, muted colours and delicate ornaments. Nothing too fussy,but very elegant and nice,especially with her creative hats and the precious jewellery that she wears now.

I agree. Those are the little things our mother taught my brothers and me about how to treat a lady properly. However I have been made well aware in real life and on these forums that there are some women who find such gestures sexist and offensive. Sometimes you just can't win:flowers:

Well, I think it depends on the degree of friendship or relationship you have,that makes a lot of difference. On the work place it is better not to use such old ways of "helping" women because it may make us feel treated like a child, but at private occasions it is very nice when we get treated like a princess :D

Thomas Schäfer-Elmayer teaches his pupils that when you go to a ball or any event where ladies wear high heels and big gowns that are very long and sometimes cause rather undignified accidents,the man should go behind the lady when you walk up the stairs and than he should go in front so that he can always catch her before she falls...it may seem funny,but such a fall can sometimes be very dangerous and for the lady very embarassing,that´s why the man should try to help and be of use in such tricky situations.

What should be ok all the time:Holding up doors or helping women over obstacles and dangerous walk-ways like Prince Charles does in the picture :)

Also I like the way he is dressing up in traditional English fashion & he has surely given Camilla some advice on fashion too because she seems to be dressing so much better than before they got married.I know that this fashion-talk is a little bit off topic,but as Prince Charles is a man who appreciates art and good craftmanship I believe that he also cares about good quality clothes and makes an effort to look good in public.

I always enjoy seeing pictures of Charles and Camila together. Charles does indeed strike me as someone who is very well-mannered, and knows how to treat a lady in public (and in general). Like you, I like his style of dress; it's classy, and never goes out of style. He probably knows a thing or two about good quality attire and accessories, and it shows. I've yet to see this man look sloppy, or inappropriate when out of the house.

Charles loves Camilla, really loves her. I doubt if he had anything to do with Diana's incredible style. And he should critique more of the things Camilla wears. Frumpy and dumpy, often I know too picky. But the picture is very nice a considerate husband, at least to Camilla. Actually, if you read back, Diana changed Charles' wardrobe.

Welcome to TRF tspagett873 and its good to have ya here!!

One thing though about this thread. Its kind of a been a problem that if we don't confine the topic of conversation to Charles and Camilla's marriage and events from 2005 on, it kind of trainwrecks the thread into rehashing the old, ancient, much discussed and much debated and sometimes overheated flame throwing on the triangle of Charles/Diana/Camilla. The moderators end up closing the thread and cleaning it up.

On the subject of their marriage, society changed and divorce in the 1990s was far more acceptable by society and the Church. Charles, Anne and Andrew all had their marriages end in divorce and they moved on. Anne remarried in the Church of Scotland, Charles had his marriage to Camilla blessed in the Church of England and Andrew hasn't remarried... yet. In the 1970s, I don't think it was opposition or anything that prevented Charles from marrying Camilla. He was in his young 20s and unsure of himself. Camilla chose to marry someone else. What did remain is a deep, lasting friendship that endured. Charles is even godfather to the Parker-Bowles' oldest son Tom. It laid the groundwork that would eventually lead to their marriage in 2005. Personally, I think their marriage is based more on a deep rooted, intimate and mature friendship than anything else.

How much does Charles really care about how polished his significant other is. Camilla's image had to change because she was joining the RF and they already had one older frumpy woman who doesn't care how she looks with Princess Anne. Charles might have helped Camilla in some forms but I don't think and dresses better or does her hair better now just because she is married to Charles: I think she does it because she is married to the Prince of Wales and those around him and her had to replace private Down to Earth Camilla with Princess Camilla.

How much does Charles really care about how polished his significant other is. Camilla's image had to change because she was joining the RF and they already had one older frumpy woman who doesn't care how she looks with Princess Anne. Charles might have helped Camilla in some forms but I don't think and dresses better or does her hair better now just because she is married to Charles: I think she does it because she is married to the Prince of Wales and those around him and her had to replace private Down to Earth Camilla with Princess Camilla.

That´s true, Anne is a rebellious lady in a way that she does not care how she looks or what other people think about her, that´s why I have a lot of respect and admiration for her :flowers:

Whatever reason made Camilla change her wardrobe and hairstyle-I am glad that it happened and that today she looks nice most of the time! She has to represent her country and therefore she is expected to dress aprropriately in her public role when she is attending royal events.
What is also obvious to me: Charles truly loves her for who she is and does not care if she looks frumpy or if she has wild hair -that is clearly indicating that she must have a very good personality and great character which makes him love her so much!

Welcome to TRF tspagett873 and its good to have ya here!!

One thing though about this thread. Its kind of a been a problem that if we don't confine the topic of conversation to Charles and Camilla's marriage and events from 2005 on, it kind of trainwrecks the thread into rehashing the old, ancient, much discussed and much debated and sometimes overheated flame throwing on the triangle of Charles/Diana/Camilla. The moderators end up closing the thread and cleaning it up.

On the subject of their marriage, society changed and divorce in the 1990s was far more acceptable by society and the Church. Charles, Anne and Andrew all had their marriages end in divorce and they moved on. Anne remarried in the Church of Scotland, Charles had his marriage to Camilla blessed in the Church of England and Andrew hasn't remarried... yet. In the 1970s, I don't think it was opposition or anything that prevented Charles from marrying Camilla. He was in his young 20s and unsure of himself. Camilla chose to marry someone else. What did remain is a deep, lasting friendship that endured. Charles is even godfather to the Parker-Bowles' oldest son Tom. It laid the groundwork that would eventually lead to their marriage in 2005. Personally, I think their marriage is based more on a deep rooted, intimate and mature friendship than anything else.

I am sorry, was my post deleted? I don't think I said anything inflammatory and in fact, I believe I said something to the effect that I truly believe things worked out as they were meant to in the end. I really believe this. I think the 70's was not the time for their romance to end in marriage at the time due to some of the conservative stances of the day from the BRF. I believe that they were both meant to marry other people at the time and have the lovely children that they now have, and end up together as they have in the end. Both sets of children seem to be very supportive and happy about this marriage and I believe as they say "All's well that ends well"...This pretty much sums up my entire opinion about Charles and Camilla.

...Both sets of children seem to be very supportive and happy about this marriage and I believe as they say "All's well that ends well"...This pretty much sums up my entire opinion about Charles and Camilla.
I agree that they were ultimately meant to be together. If all of their children are supportive, it must mean that they realize how happy their respective parent is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, was my post deleted? I don't think I said anything inflammatory and in fact, I believe I said something to the effect that I truly believe things worked out as they were meant to in the end. I really believe this. I think the 70's was not the time for their romance to end in marriage at the time due to some of the conservative stances of the day from the BRF. I believe that they were both meant to marry other people at the time and have the lovely children that they now have, and end up together as they have in the end. Both sets of children seem to be very supportive and happy about this marriage and I believe as they say "All's well that ends well"...This pretty much sums up my entire opinion about Charles and Camilla.

Looking back, it does look like its been removed but I don't think its so much that what you wrote was inflammatory, but probably because its so easy for any posts in this thread that even mention the first wife to start the triangle games yet again.

I totally agree with you that C&C's relationship is something that took almost a lifetime to evolve into what it is now.

Tspadgett873, Welcome to the forum. The moderators are very strict about keeping each thread on topic. There are threads that address Charles and Diana's marriage and people post a wide range of views, including some controversial views with no problem. I think its a good idea to give people the opportunity to discuss Camilla and Charles's marriage without having to wade through a number of posts about events that happened more than 15 years ago.

I agree that the marriage seems to be on solid ground. Charles in particular seems to be very relaxed and happy. I also agree that it is not just Princes William and Harry who have accepted the marriage, the Duchess's children and ex-husband seem to be on good terms with all involved.

Back
Top Bottom