Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to dislike Camilla (and didn't care for Charles much either), but over the years my feelings have changed. I have really come to like them both. Especially Camilla. She seems like such a warm, fun person and I've come to see that they are a great match.

Exactly my thoughts :flowers:

COUNTESS said:
They were, always, a match, that is the sad thing. So, many others got bloodied in the interim.

Agree they always seemed to be a good match. As for the next over-dramatic sentence, some of the wounds were self-inflicted.

I used to dislike Camilla (and didn't care for Charles much either), but over the years my feelings have changed. I have really come to like them both. Especially Camilla. She seems like such a warm, fun person and I've come to see that they are a great match.

I'll second that. I didn't start out being a huge fan of either of them, but now I respect and like them quite a lot.

Agree they always seemed to be a good match. As for the next over-dramatic sentence, some of the wounds were self-inflicted.
I would agree with you that some (all) of Charles' "wounds" were self inflicted.

They were, always, a match, that is the sad thing. So, many others got bloodied in the interim.

Well put, and my sentiments exactly. I look at their relationship in a bittersweet way, glad that they're together but knowing that many others were hurt along the way.

Well put, and my sentiments exactly. I look at their relationship in a bittersweet way, glad that they're together but knowing that many others were hurt along the way.

Including both of them - people do seem to think that they weren't also hurt with the way things worked out - yes they hurt others but they themselves were also hurt.

The most important people who were hurt were the 4 kids.
They've grown and have found happiness and fulfillment despite their parents public private lives. I especially recall reading that Laura once yelled at Charles over the phone and Tom had it really bad at school. We may never know how, but somehow Camilla got her kids through that time.

Back to the 2005 onwards it is clear that those hurt and alive have moved on and seem to be quite well adjusted and happy now and it is most obvious that Charles has a wife who gives him support and doesn't try to upstage him - which is exactly right.

As for the weather broadcast thing - I think Charles showed that he has a wonderful sense of humour to a wider audience than those of us who have been his fans forever (we have always known that he had a sense of humour and a dry wit). His father has always been the same and Harry has also inherited that same ability from Charles. More and more I see Charles in both William and Harry - their personalities, their actions and their looks.

Camilla has implemented a lot of change in perception due to performing these duties with diligence, warmth and down-to-earth humor. She's won a lot of people over by her support of Charles and consequently the positive changes we've seen in him since their marriage. I'm sure people can't help but think that she'd be a consort worthy to sit beside him when he ascends the throne.

As someone who has always been a fan of both Charles and Camilla, it makes me very happy to read that so many people have changed their opinions of Charles and Camilla since their marriage. Camilla's warmth and charm and her ability to bring out the best in Charles have done the trick. The Charles we see now is the one we knew and liked when he was a young man. I loved his weather report.

As someone who has always been a fan of both Charles and Camilla, it makes me very happy to read that so many people have changed their opinions of Charles and Camilla since their marriage. Camilla's warmth and charm and her ability to bring out the best in Charles have done the trick. The Charles we see now is the one we knew and liked when he was a young man. I loved his weather report.

You know, I completely agree. I think time is finally beginning to heal a lot of old wounds, and with that comes a much brighter future for the monarchy.

Prince Charles has been downright charming as of late, and hopefully that's changing minds and hearts. And Camilla does a wonderful job supporting him, and there's no doubt in my mind that she'll make a wonderful Queen Consort when the time comes.

I hate this article, it's in the worst traditions of DM "journalism".
Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales, a Princess of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall: where else should she be?

I actually think it's a wonderful comparison article of how Camilla has been accepted into the family. The Queen could have asked William to sit in the carriage as he is the next in line (what with the generation thing).

I actually think it's a wonderful comparison article of how Camilla has been accepted into the family. The Queen could have asked William to sit in the carriage as he is the next in line (what with the generation thing).
Well, it has certainly changed a bit since I read it yesterday. There was a lot more of the "past" back then, and they had even confused Sophie with Diana in that 2002(!) picture. In any case, I think those articles in the line of before and after are not helping at all.

I do think everyone is trying to get information out as quickly as possible just to make sure people read it, the first thanksgiving article was out within two minutes of it starting. Everyone makes typing errors but I can understand the urgency.

While I think the seating arrangements in the carriages for the Diamond Jubilee was fine, IMO a better seating arrangement would have been Prince Charles seated beside the Queen, and opposite them, Camilla and Harry. William and Kate behind them in the 2nd carriage.

I have read elsewhere that the done thing is for ladies to face the front and so Camilla sat beside The Queen.

There is no way Harry rides in that carriage as he simply isn't senior enough in the family - and as soon as Kate has a child he will drop in seniority to 4th etc.

^Oh, I totally agree - and I stated as much in my previous post. I am in agreement with how the seating arrangements were handled on the actual day.

However - bending protocol and tradition is sometimes called for...like when Diana died (and the Queen returned to London - under pressure from the public - before she actually intended to return to London).

I think the monarchy would have been better served if Charles (next King) had been photographed on such a historic occasion next to the Queen. (And either Camilla rode opposite them or opposite them with Harry).

Charles is making inroads on the general public accepting him (I am not speaking here of people like you or I who follow royalty, but those of the general public that are only aware of the Prince of Wales in a very vague way). Charles received good - and wide - publicity lately with his weather forecast, his touching speech at the concert, and his delighted and warm reactions to watching the 'old' films and photos of the Queen. These opportunities will not occur again.

So I think there was a missed opportunity to present - and capitalize - on Charles in a yet another good and positive light (the next King riding beside the current Queen on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee).

To restate: I understand the protocol - and think it's fine - that the seating in the carriages was handled the way it was. However, I think it would've better served the monarchy if Charles had ridden beside the Queen. Anyway, I'm digressing a bit from the forum topic, so better if I state future views on this in the more correct forum. :)

Last edited:
[...] bending protocol and tradition is sometimes called for...like when Diana died (and the Queen returned to London - under pressure from the public - before she actually intended to return to London).

I think the monarchy would have been better served if Charles (next King) had been photographed on such a historic occasion next to the Queen. (And either Camilla rode opposite them or opposite them with Harry).

[...] I think there was a missed opportunity to present - and capitalize - on Charles in a yet another good and positive light (the next King riding beside the current Queen on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee).

Totally agree. A missed opportunity. I really like Camilla so its not about that at all. It seemed like a perfect time to really show the transition to come. (I was surprised at how frail the Queen appeared at certain moments during the events - there are certain junctures in aging when the process speeds up exponentially and I think that has begun for her).

One question (and I know its a bit of a threadnap but maybe someone can answer this very quickly in one post): I noticed in the video that Charles, William and Harry were all wearing top-hats. In the video I saw of the carriages, Charles was tipping his hat quite a bit - so antique and so charming :heart: :blush: - but neither William nor Harry were doing so. I was trying to figure out why Charles was doing it - but if he was doing it why wasn't William or Harry doing it? Charles has a very distinguished look these days in full-dress, almost from another time, reminds me of newsreels of the Tzar and older Kings from the late 1800's. He definitely has the specific genetic 'look' of his line. I keep wondering who he is reminding me of.

@tyger I was wondering about that hat thing myself, and I loved the tipping of the hat. I think Charles is looking really fine these days, He seems to have grown into his body.

I saw the Queen the next day with PM Harper, and she looked very good, not as frail, it may have been just the long days.

Oh and to get in back on topic. I love watching Charles and Camilla, there is something about them that intrigues me, and I am just a bit older than Willam, but for some reason He and Kate don't intrigue me as much. There is just something about C & C that captures me.

Last edited:
Charles is a 'progressive Edwardian' at heart and that is something that endears me too him. His manner, charm and style. One very suave fellow.

...Totally agree. A missed opportunity. I really like Camilla so its not about that at all. It seemed like a perfect time to really show the transition to come. (I was surprised at how frail the Queen appeared at certain moments during the events - there are certain junctures in aging when the process speeds up exponentially and I think that has begun for her)....
Thank you for getting my point about it being a missed opportunity. At this stage of the game, it's all about Charles putting himself out there so that more and more of the public understands that he is a worthy successor to the crown. Increased acceptance of Camilla will follow. :flowers:

Hasn't there been previous jubilee celebrations where Charles was photographed next to his mother? He is often photographed with her, there was no need to change the rules for something so trivial as a photo op.

Last edited:
Yes Charles has been photographed beside his mother many times but...there has been an increasing call for a cut-down royal family and this was a chance to show that that is what is happening (insulting to those who have worked for The Queen for the past 60 years of course). This was a clear sign of the BRF, and The Queen in particular, listening to the public and saying loudly - the future of the family is just these few and the rest aren't wanted or needed. It is the message that the public want - William and Harry only in their generation with Charles in his.

Remember that Charles' brothers are largely despised by the public along with Beatrice and Eugenie so they aren't wanted by either the public or Charles. The public only want Diana's sons - sad but true.

@tyger I was wondering about that hat thing myself, and I loved the tipping of the hat. I think Charles is looking really fine these days. He seems to have grown into his body.

What a perfect way of putting it. Its true. We forget that just like we grow and are not the body we were at 10 when we are 20 - we do not see the body as continuing a maturation but rather a degeneration - when its not the case. I have long felt this - seen it that way. If we maintain health, eat well, sustain our flexibility and physical endurance, the body matures into something quite beautiful. Anyway, he's become handsome in a way he was not, I don't think, when he was younger. Just my opinion.

I love watching Charles and Camilla, there is something about them that intrigues me, and I am just a bit older than Willam, but for some reason He and Kate don't intrigue me as much. There is just something about C & C that captures me.

I agree. Very engaging. They are comfortable to watch.

Charles is a 'progressive Edwardian' at heart and that is something that endears me too him. His manner, charm and style. One very suave fellow.

Yes! :flowers: But who does he look like? He looks like someone.

Yes! :flowers: But who does he look like? He looks like someone.

I'm not sure Tyger, who does he remind you of? :)

I can't think of anyone myself. To me, he just looks like Charles. Unmistakable Charles!

Remember that Charles' brothers are largely despised by the public along with Beatrice and Eugenie so they aren't wanted by either the public or Charles.

And you announce this as fact with the support of what credible information?

More is needed than the possibility of Charles rather practically downsizing the extended family's future representative role amongst the community I'm affraid. It makes sense to 'downgrade' but it speaks nothing of his personal feelings towards his family members and no one here is in a position to state otherwise.

As for the public despising his brothers and York nieces, that is sure to be an exaggerated statement. I don't think public sentiment is in any way as strong for his brothers as it is for himself or his own family, but there is no indication that the public "despise" them. More or less they are regarded with indifference on the whole.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Tyger, who does he remind you of? :)

Someone in his genetic line. The term Progressive Edwardian - is it someone from the Edwardian era? Anyway, he looks distinguished in a way that is from another time - and I think that is partly to do with all the uniforms and the forms he is embedded in. He's going to be snapping in his coronation robes.

I can't think of anyone myself. To me, he just looks like Charles. Unmistakable Charles!

Well, of course, that is true. He is his own self defined by all he has done and suffered and survived and learned - and come out the other side.

Luckily, he had someone who could meet him on terms agreeable to both he and her. I think that has made all the difference for him. IMO that is crucial for a man to have. I'll also say that were he to not have married Camilla, I think he would have re-married eventually. It was inevitable. That it was Camilla - that she agreed to take it all on in the face of everything - is a small miracle.

More is needed than the possibility of Charles rather practically downsizing the extended family's future representative role amongst the community I'm afraid. It makes sense to 'downgrade' but it speaks nothing of his personal feelings towards his family members and no one here is in a position to state otherwise.

As for the public despising his brothers and York nieces, that is sure to be an exaggerated statement. I don't think public sentiment is in any way as strong for his brothers as it is for himself or his own family, but there is no indication that the public "despise" them. More or less they are regarded with indifference on the whole.

I agree - and who knows what the future may bring? The BRF may morph again as the years wear on and Charles ascends the throne. It will be a different time. One never knows. Flexibility will be the key. I think as Beatrice and Eugenie mature - particularly as they marry and begin families, following stable lives - and as Edward's children mature and marry and do the same - we may find something new developing. Just a hunch.

One last thing - I don't think people really understand all the subtle 'messages' of who is in or out or whatever - except on this forum and others like it with people who make royalty a hobby. Just how clueless Americans are about the BRF was demonstrated in a back-and-forth between some commentators on a show called 'Firing Line' a day or so ago. Unless the guys were giving the woman commentator (who knew all the relationships) a jibe (which is possible given the nature of the show). In mentioning the Queen's Jubilee there were questions about exactly who everyone was, like who was William, who was Harry - was he also the grandson of the Queen and who was he then the son of - stuff I'm sure any Brit would hear in disbelief. :shock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom