Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say I am not a big follower of Charles and Camilla, therefore I have not noticed any "vibe" either. I am sure they are fine, they are just perhaps tired as they have been visiting a lot of countries lately. I think that couples after a while tend to not be quite so engaged with one another.

Well, good for you. You must feel better having made all that clear. I see your point.

Having actively participated for some years now, one has become accustomed to the easily offended ;)

I can't say that I've noticed anything at all in terms of a 'vibe' that's worrying.

I think in an ideal world, Camilla would be spending 75% of her time in Wiltshire, riding her horses, walking her dogs and generally enjoying a countryside retirement. The rest of her time would be spent with her children and grandchildren.

I don't think Camilla ever would have particularly wanted to be heading for her mid-sixties and with a work schedule that includes trips to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, all before the Diamond Jubilee and Olympic festivities. That's a very heavy schedule for someone half her age. Charles has been used to that all his life, Camilla has, until 7 years ago, always been a housewife and mother. I wouldn't blame her for not always loving it.

In my view the Scandinavian tour, although successful, was unnecessary and superfluous given their very heavy Commonwealth tours coming up. When you add the fact that the Queen is apparently having the sovereigns to BP in May for lunch, I don't think it was the best idea. It could've waited till 2013.

Having actively participated for some years now, one has become accustomed to the easily offended.
Why do you think I am offended? I took your points and even responded to many of them later in my post.

We see what we see, we hear what we hear. You mentioned sarcasm for a reason - because you believed how you were commenting would be taken as sarcasm - that's why I highlighted the sentence. How I read your post was that you had a lot to say on the matter and said it with completeness. I did not say I was offended. I think you thought you were being offensive so that it why you were proactive with your comment. You looked for offense before it was indicated and assumed offense when it was never stated. Just saying.
I can't say that I've noticed anything at all in terms of a 'vibe' that's worrying....
Thank you, great post - good insight - gives me some context.
Thank you everyone for all the input. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear or dear!..lol.

I didn't think you were offended? I made a comment about becoming accustomed to the easily offended which is why I wanted to point out that I was not directing my post at anyone in-particular.

Better to have people know so no one's anonymous nose gets put out of place over something really quite trivial.

Last edited:
I worked once in a job where travelling and representing was necessary from time to time and even though I was in my late 20s/early 30s I found it tedious. It came to a point where I needed the same amount of time to recharge that I had been on tour. And I was young then. So what about poor Camilla?

Plus it is known she needs a special matress in her bed to be able to lie comfortably - she took it with her to hospital once. But I doubt she could have carried it around with her for this trip, so don't wonder if the travel with plane and cars and sleeping in unknown beds was uncomfortable for her. She has a family history for a bad back, after all.

But I doubt her marriage is in any trouble as Charles and she seem to be friends as well as lovers and in a marriage like that hardshipsmay make you uncomfortable and you concentrate on being sucessful in performing your duties, so no times fro light jokes, but there always is the knowledge that in any case you are comforted by your other one.

I worked once in a job where travelling and representing was necessary from time to time...
Ah, didn't know some of this - all the more reason for the British Royals to have a yacht! A place where they can go that is a 'home away from home' with all the things that make them feel comfy. Seems only reasonable.

Another possibilty - not sleeping is lethal on my nerves! Imagine that maybe Charles could have been keeping his distance else risk getting his head snapped off! Ha! ;) The possibilities are now endless.

I worked once in a job where travelling and representing was necessary from time to time and even though I was in my late 20s/early 30s I found it tedious.
I understand what that's like Kataryn.

In my previous job role, I would fly for a weeks stint to Europe and visit no less than 6 or so countries in 5 days. Granted Europe is much like a big country (geographically), especially for those of us who come from a country the size of Australia, but nonetheless, having to do that twice a year could really take the wind out of ones sales. Especially when having to cross various time zones and change flights in Dubai before arriving at the initial destination.

Camilla does well for a woman who has spent the majority of her life as a stay at home housewife.

Last edited:
Like Madame Royale, I don't speculate on what the person is feeling when I'm looking at photos nor overly scrutinize them for anything beneath the facade. I'm sure age is catching up with Charles and Camilla as well as their grueling trips and other work schedules, but you have to realize that when the multitude of cameras catch their expressions in a nano-second of time on a constant basis, you won't always get the best countenance on their faces. But I know I wouldn't like keeping up with that pace at their ages.

Last edited:
Another possibilty - not sleeping is lethal on my nerves! Imagine that maybe Charles could have been keeping his distance else risk getting his head snapped off! Ha! ;) The possibilities are now endless.

Classic :D :ROFLMAO:. The possibilities are endless indeed. There are, oh, so many things that could have contributed to the couple appearing 'distant'.

Well judging by some photos of the scandinavian tour, they seem just pretty fine to me !/QUOTE] Nico, for some reason I can't view the pix. :sad: I know they had their moments but it was some pictures that really showed Camilla - I'm using the word 'stressed' - but unhappy. Like when she went into an evening event. She could well have been tired or in pain - that's why I thought maybe she was ill. Its clear Camilla is a good trooper and knows her role and what she needs to project - but the camera caught her more often not projecting, so I wondered. Photographers choose their photos carefully - one does not want to over think it, of course. ;)

I do hope she is okay.

I noticed some problems with the Getty photos lately ....
I tried to remplace them with some Zimbio ones .

Well they still have "it" imo ;)

141634470.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, not saying not - on a good day. ;) Nice pictures.
Nice people, they seem. Wouldn't mind meeting them one day.

As far as I could see, Camilla did appear to be a bit tired during the Scandinavia tour, as well as the most recent engagements in Britain.
However, I didn't notice any difference interaction wise between Prince Charles and Camilla; they appear to be as attentive and caring towards each other as ever.

I don't think Camilla ever would have particularly wanted to be heading for her mid-sixties and with a work schedule that includes trips to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, all before the Diamond Jubilee and Olympic festivities.

The Australian, New Zealand and New Guinea tour is after the British summer - well they are going to NZ in November so I assume they will do the other two countries at the same time and not make two trips down under in one year.

The Commonwealth tours are all staggered throughout the year.

I too saw no problems with these two during the Scandinavian tour but I do think that the agencies and the press don't like the idea of a happy Charles so try to find the least flattering photos at times to try to create trouble where none exists.

Okay, so here are just a few that got me thinking - they are from the Danish leg of the tour and at the greeting so maybe she was flat-out tired. Maybe it was late afternoon (my nap-time). Maybe the sun was in her eyes - but she don't look happy. The Duchess is not amused. Anyway, these are just a few. There were others - but given what has been shared here I think she may have just been flat-out tired, the sun was too bright, its the 3rd country - hey, I want a nap! ;)

http://tinyurl.com/7wjtq63

http://tinyurl.com/boh8rr8

http://tinyurl.com/7wfug7f

And then we have this, of course :D

http://tinyurl.com/7ksvmvf

Last edited:
You see, I have a disadvantage, I'm too busy looking at the jewels and outfits to scrutinize her face, lol! Seriously, I can't read too much in her expressions; it just looks like the camera caught her at awkward moments or when she might have been wishing for a cup of tea or something stronger to imbibe. An instant still photo out of the many taken during the day/trip. If she truly had a scowl on her face, then I'd say something's going on.

Last edited:
The Australian, New Zealand and New Guinea tour is after the British summer - well they are going to NZ in November so I assume they will do the other two countries at the same time and not make two trips down under in one year.

The Commonwealth tours are all staggered throughout the year.

I too saw no problems with these two during the Scandinavian tour but I do think that the agencies and the press don't like the idea of a happy Charles so try to find the least flattering photos at times to try to create trouble where none exists.

I meant they're doing several hefty overseas visits before you even take into consideration the really busy periods for the BRF in 2012 in the UK. I know they'll be staggered throughout the year, but that's still a heck of a lot of travelling in, what, 8 months? Harry, who's less than half Charles and Camilla's age, remarked on how utterly exhausted he was at the end of his Caribbean tour. C&C are essentially doing what he did 4 times this year.

I think the Scandinavian tour served a useful purpose of essentially introducing Camilla to the Scando RFs publicly, but I think it could've waited for a less busy year.

I predict that there'll be much ignorant public grumbling about Charles and Camilla's increased transport costs this year, even though they're travelling much more than is usually the case so travel costs are inevitably going to be higher.

It is also hard with just a still photo because the agencies don't show every single still - just a selection.

When you see a video there is a lot more joy of life showing - I think.

Okay, so here are just a few that got me thinking - they are from the Danish leg of the tour and at the greeting so maybe she was flat-out tired. Maybe it was late afternoon (my nap-time). Maybe the sun was in her eyes - but she don't look happy. The Duchess is not amused. Anyway, these are just a few. There were others - but given what has been shared here I think she may have just been flat-out tired, the sun was too bright, its the 3rd country - hey, I want a nap!

http://tinyurl.com/7wjtq63

http://tinyurl.com/boh8rr8

http://tinyurl.com/7wfug7f

And then we have this, of course

http://tinyurl.com/7ksvmvf]

For the first pics it was taken during a wreath-laying ceremony for soldiers dead in Afghanistan. Maybe not the ideal place to have a good laugh.
For the last one, next shoot and she's having the time of her life :
Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Charles and Camilla visit the Queen of Denmark - Zimbio

Anyway i presume that, like us, they have some days off. However i would not extrapolate some more or less good pictures to a new "War of the Wales 2.0", even if some people here and there would die for some trouble in paradise. Frankly there is a universe btw the pictures of these two during the tour and some photos taken 20 years ago of Charles and the previous Mrs Wales (Korea 1992 anyone ?).

Last edited:
And not just the expressions on the previous aforementioned couple at that time, but the body language also!

Another thought just occurred to me. I don't see Charles and Camila as a couple that would be too demonstrative in public. Their interactions are very subtle, but they say a great deal. I think sometimes when one is exhausted and has been surrounded by people day in and day out (like during the Scandinavian tour), one may want to search for any moments that can be snatched to recharge, and have a little bit 'me' time. Perhaps cameras captured those instances :ermm:. As others pointed out, still pictures are not the best indicators of anything that's going on behind the scenes, because we don't know what context the facial expression was made (if that makes sense).

. . . . but you have to realise that when the multitude of cameras catch their expressions in a Nani-second of time on a constant basis, you won't always get the best countenance on their faces . . . . .
You have hit the nail squarely on the head.

Can someone tell me why it is that hard on the heels of some really "good" press from the Scandinavian tour, suddenly people are "seeing" cracks in the relationship. Photos taken in nano-seconds are produced as evidence of a crumbling relationship. Good heavens, she even walked ahead of him instead of glued to his side like the Wessexes do . . . etc. ad nauseum!

And, to add insult to injury, these negative little drops of poison are most often preceded with "I am a supporter, but" . . . But nothing, and we complain about the Mail Online! Who needs them when Charles and Camilla's "supporters" are announcing the demise of their relationship?

Nice one guys!

The pictures where Camilla's smile doesn't quite reach her eyes are inevitable. One of the things the royals have to do is look thrilled to be doing things and meeting people that they ordinarily would have no interest in. It's one of the most important parts of the role - convincing a bunch of welders, say, that you find welding fascinating and would't want to be anywhere else, even though that's not actually the case.

You'll notice the Queen makes faces like that too, probably when her face is sore from having to smile so much:

The Queen in Canada

But, on the same day you see:

A much more genuine smile

In short, you could pick and choose photos and analyse them to death all day long.

...Can someone tell me why it is that hard on the heels of some really "good" press from the Scandinavian tour, suddenly people are "seeing" cracks in the relationship...
People are voicing a concern. Right or wrong, I feel invested (for lack of a better word - I looked) in Charles' and Camilla's happiness as a couple. On one level, it's weird; on another, they represent something important to me. I want them to be happy; discussing it won't make any difference, but neither will discussing anything else. It's just a human thing. For some reason I'd feel better if some photographer caught them in a clandestine passionate kiss somewhere. I like the um, tape-that-shall-not-be-named; so did Gyles Brandreth. It's why I bought his book. I understand your point; detractors have been announcing their "divorce" for years, so those of us who support them should stand behind them. Sometimes, though, I wish Charles would demonstrate to both supporters and detractors that he, at least, is glad he ended up with Camilla, that he is proud of her, and happy to have her at his side. His mother did it last weekend. Obviously, they have the right to present themselves as they wish. Maybe they never give it a thought; maybe it's supposed to be more titillating this way; maybe there's nothing to present, and one day we'll get a nasty surprise. That's just my point of view. :)

Sometimes, though, I wish Charles would demonstrate to both supporters and detractors that he, at least, is glad he ended up with Camilla, that he is proud of her, and happy to have her at his side.

I think he called her his "Darling Wife" during this tour....:flowers:

I find the notion of them having to demonstrate their 'togetherness' as being really quite contrived. Surely it should come naturally and by all accounts, that's how it appears to me.

They aren't answerable for the state of their private lives to the extent that they should make public the nature of their bond. Does privacy really stand for nothing nowadays?

Perhaps I'm the only one, but to me there is the man who is Charles, and the gentleman that is the Prince of Wales. Now for all intents and purposes they are practically one in the same, many would argue, but it is only the Prince of Wales in his position as heir that interests me and I'm in no need of being privy to his personal life to an extent that is both intrusive and unnecessary.

I have a vested interest in the institution of monarchy and all it's trimmings (it's history and it's grandeur notably), and of course one has their favourites, but that's where it ends for me. As long as they conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positive social values, engage people on a personable level and make good their vowes to serve accordingly, then I couldn't ask for anything else of them.

One just wishes them well and expects they shall get on with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom